Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

he's more famous

e: what a remarkably lovely post for a new page. sorry, milhist thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Re: Armour weight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CUfkGLB48

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

ethnic nationalism is all about being able to rapidly switch between 1) demanding all territory where any member of your group has ever lived 2) freaking out because that territory contains a bunch of people who aren't in your group

Which leads to the obvious solution of 'take that territory, kick out everyone who isn't your group'. See: Cyprus, the Balkans, etc, etc.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh they're The Worst, at least the leaders are. Having said that, if my ancestors had wanted me to give a rat's rear end about it they would've stayed in County Somethingorother. As it is all I've inherited from them is a vague sense of Catholic identity and a fondness for stout beer and redheads.
what about stout redheads

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, now I'm rabidly angry.
But it's informed rabid anger! This is the correct response!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

as someone from a catholic irish-american family I am way more mad about IRA sympathisers (although to be clear the orange order and the DUP etc. can all go gently caress themselves too)
Also correct!

I've put in a good word for you two down the passport office if you feel the need to escape.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Which leads to the obvious solution of 'take that territory, kick out everyone who isn't your group'. See: Cyprus, the Balkans, etc, etc.

Those trains? Don't worry, we're just resettling them all to the east.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I have a nice "concise guide to British aircraft of World War Two", and the American and Axis equivalents, from Hamlyn, which go through (virtually) every plane that was flown in the war, from transports to strat bombers, all rather nicely illustrated.

The only thing missing from a collection of pointlessly encyclopaedic "concise" guides is a soviet one. Can anyone recommend something that goes through the planes themselves, rather than the soviet airforce or experiences or anything like that? Just the planes, nice pictures a bonus.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cyrano4747 posted:

Those trains? Don't worry, we're just resettling them all to the east.

No I heard it was a "sightseeing tour". Mysteriously one-way though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ice Fist posted:

No I heard it was a "sightseeing tour". Mysteriously one-way though.
No, it's a return trip. There are just a lot of sights to see.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hey Trin, is there a good book that puts focus on the Cardwell reforms as a whole? I know the basics but there seems to be so much involved I always just get the crib notes version before the other books just move on from it. It's frustrating!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Arquinsiel posted:

No, it's a return trip. There are just a lot of sights to see.

It says right here, "walking tour of Siberia". That must be what they're doing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXQdkVvvLU

New movie about the Indian Wars starring Christian Bale.

Funny thing about the extermination of the indigenous population, it's only the second most hosed up thing the US has ever done. Also whenever goons go on their "gently caress the South Sherman Rules" circlejerks they should look up his role in that atrocity.

quote:

Sherman wrote that "hostile savages like Sitting Bull and his band of outlaw Sioux ... must feel the superior power of the Government." He further wrote that "during an assault, the soldiers can not pause to distinguish between male and female, or even discriminate as to age."

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nobody ever seems to take ethnic nationalism to mean 'therefore we need to vacate this area and let these people have it'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXQdkVvvLU

New movie about the Indian Wars starring Christian Bale.

Funny thing about the extermination of the indigenous population, it's only the second most hosed up thing the US has ever done. Also whenever goons go on their "gently caress the South Sherman Rules" circlejerks they should look up his role in that atrocity.

March to the Sea is still a net positive though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fangz posted:

Nobody ever seems to take ethnic nationalism to mean 'therefore we need to vacate this area and let these people have it'.
The British with regard to Israel?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

My take on that was that Britain saw what a clusterfuck the situation with the holy land was becoming and just shifted the responsibility to the United Nations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Is it true, as I've often heard, that the big impetus for the former Allies backing the formation of a Jewish home state is that they didn't want millions of Jewish refugees flooding their countries?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Guys... the joke is that it doesn't help then either.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

My take on that was that Britain saw what a clusterfuck the situation with the holy land was becoming and just shifted the responsibility to the United Nations.

The Palestinian revolt of 33-39, then the Proto-Israeli insurgency of 39-48, then an obviously impending civil war, makes sense that the prevailing attitude to the mandate became:

"You know what? We've just had the poo poo kicked out of us for six years, this is the least important bit of the empire, let's get the gently caress out"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lenoon posted:

I have a nice "concise guide to British aircraft of World War Two", and the American and Axis equivalents, from Hamlyn, which go through (virtually) every plane that was flown in the war, from transports to strat bombers, all rather nicely illustrated.

The only thing missing from a collection of pointlessly encyclopaedic "concise" guides is a soviet one. Can anyone recommend something that goes through the planes themselves, rather than the soviet airforce or experiences or anything like that? Just the planes, nice pictures a bonus.

You should check out "Soviet Combat Aircraft of World War 2"

There are two volumes, and unfortunately it does not cover non-combat in any way. The first volume is for fighters, second is for bombers. One of the few books I know that talks about the Yer-2 at any length.

There's also Bill Gunston's "Aircraft of the Soviet Union" but I don't know how in-depth it is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lenoon posted:

The Palestinian revolt of 33-39, then the Proto-Israeli insurgency of 39-48, then an obviously impending civil war, makes sense that the prevailing attitude to the mandate became:

"You know what? We've just had the poo poo kicked out of us for six years, this is the least important bit of the empire, let's get the gently caress out"

Also, it was a League of Nations Mandate, i.e. not actually part of the Empire at all, technically (and indeed the UN as the successor of the League of Nations was responsible). No way the UK would have been allowed to keep them much longer regardless.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Can't help but feel that prior to 1939 a League of Nations mandate was the worlds most nominal restriction on permanent territorial expansion, but yeah I agree with you there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hey Trin, is there a good book that puts focus on the Cardwell reforms as a whole? I know the basics but there seems to be so much involved I always just get the crib notes version before the other books just move on from it. It's frustrating!

As far as I know, which isn't far, it's always been a subject shallow enough for articles, and not entire books.

edit, while reversing at about 10 backpedals per minute: after further research, the work you are looking for is very probably "Lord Cardwell at the War Office", written by Sir Robert Biddulph and published in 1904. (Insert standard disclaimers for referring to a 110-year-old history book here.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 6, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'll look into that, and a shame really. I find the transition of the British army through the whole 19th century fascinating and it seems sort of weird there isn't a collective work looking at it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'll look into that, and a shame really. I find the transition of the British army through the whole 19th century fascinating and it seems sort of weird there isn't a collective work looking at it.

It's probably partly because almost who studies 19th century Britain is focused on 1780-1830 or 1830 to 1885 or so.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Murgos posted:

My mistake. I was thinking of Voltigeurs who were supposed to be small enough to ride into battle as a second person on a horse.

Dragoons were always on large horses and initially carried the voltigeurs into battle.

So, an early example of the parasite fighter doctrine then.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Disinterested posted:

It's probably partly because almost who studies 19th century Britain is focused on 1780-1830 or 1830 to 1885 or so.

Which I understand because trying to cover everything with the my countries weird little army and it's history in one go would be the biggest head ache.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Watched this good Nat-Geo documentary about American Generals. I think it is worth a view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keqfa7m0Wig

Has a lot of candid interviews with men like Petraeus, McChrystal, and Powell on everything from the Vietnam War to Afghanistan. General Jack Keane, Patreus, and Colin Powell not so subtly blamed Paul Bremer for the beginning of the Sunni insurgency in Iraq. General Barry McCaffrey pointed his finger squarely at Rumsfeld going so far to say he had a particular hatred for what he did. I honestly love watching this kind of professional slapfight, although admittedly its funnier when its old mustachioed professors fighting over who gets to name a sauropod rather than whose responsible for thousands of deaths.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of generals, the more you read about Garnet Wolseley the more you are just stunned at what a snobby massive egotistic prick he was outside his career. Dude checks all the late Victorian era stereotype boxes. He's the Bono of British generals.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I posted a Martin Luther Playmobil miniature on Destructoid and someone commented about his views on Jews. I'm a bit more lenient about historical persons not being perfect paragons, and you can always acknowledge that. So Sherman is OK in my book.

Super handsome, too.

By the way, I like the juxtaposition between Sherman and other generals going "war is hell" and people like Antoine Carton de Viart who are like "war is loving amazing." Has anyone read his memoirs Happy Odysey?

Even less related: what are the innacuracies to look out for in Ivan's War?

And a total Jc question: how did T-55 compare to other contemporary tanks in action?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Compared to its peers, the T-55 was a hell of a lot better than the M48 Patton and Centurion. T-55 had a bigger gun than either until the L7 Centurions came about, better armour protection and was reliable. There is a reason why the T-55 still is getting some development and improvement to this day.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I just get this feeling that Soviet hardware is presented as underperforming whenever its performance mentioned online and and I can't wrap my head around the idea that Soviet union continuously produced inferior stuff, yet somehow Cold war lasted for 50 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Part of it is that a) you, as a member of the decadent West, are likely looking at primarily western sources and b) people like to WoT featureless plain battle where I am Dueling My Opponent In Honorable combat where quantity doesn't matter and slight qualitative advantages are seen as a big deal. Soviet doctrine generally preferred more of at a slightly lower quality. You're going to advance to contact, reinforce success very heavily (like sequencing division level formations to exploit a small gap), and take casualties.

This article gets kicked around a lot, overstates some stuff but in general is an interesting look.

https://20thcenturywargaming.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/why-cold-war-warsaw-pact-tactics-work-in-wargaming/

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JcDent posted:

I just get this feeling that Soviet hardware is presented as underperforming whenever its performance mentioned online and and I can't wrap my head around the idea that Soviet union continuously produced inferior stuff, yet somehow Cold war lasted for 50 years.

Keep in mind, during the Cold War analysts constantly overestimated Soviet capabilities, to the point that the CIA's Team B started using the logic of "Well if there's no evidence they have a new super-submarine, this must mean they have a new super-submarine and they're hiding it" to argue for additional defense budget increases.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

JcDent posted:

I posted a Martin Luther Playmobil miniature on Destructoid and someone commented about his views on Jews. I'm a bit more lenient about historical persons not being perfect paragons, and you can always acknowledge that. So Sherman is OK in my book.

Super handsome, too.

By the way, I like the juxtaposition between Sherman and other generals going "war is hell" and people like Antoine Carton de Viart who are like "war is loving amazing." Has anyone read his memoirs Happy Odysey?

Even less related: what are the innacuracies to look out for in Ivan's War?

And a total Jc question: how did T-55 compare to other contemporary tanks in action?

Though it was really small inside. Really, really small. Like the height limit was 5'5.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Western armies shat themselves over the IS-3, and tank destroyers were made to deal with it specifically.

By that point, the IS-3 was old news, and the Soviets were working on crazy poo poo like the IS-7 and less crazy poo poo like the IS-8, before finally admitting that heavy tanks are dead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, but when you start reading about conflicts, I seems that everything that Soviets produced gets clowned, from missiles to tanks and planes.

Probably only RPG-7 escapes unscathed. I think some goon posted a test that shows that AKs are actually not better than M16s when thrown in mud and stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The quality of the guys driving the tank and the guys commanding the tank and the C4I supporting the tank in the field and the airpower and ADA defending and supporting the tank and the coordination of artillery fires and infantry to accompany the tank is all a shitload more important to the outcome of a modern battlefield than the quality of the tank itself.

You could give the Coalition T55s in GW1 and provided they had the same thermals and equipment, commo gear and battlefield support they would have rolled the Iraqi army in a similar way.

edit: a more accurate read of the result is that Soviet client states get clowned, not that Warpac gear is poo poo.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, maybe that's the case.

Would be nice to see such a scenario of mixing low tech hardware with high tech accessories and well trained military against midtech hardware controlled by a middling army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The various Arab-Israeli wars? Jordan had basically the same Western kit as the Israelis in the first one at least and they kind of still got clowned.