Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah that's why they've been calling her Princess Di

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

America's obsession with the British royal family is really strange to me. I've no particular objection to them myself but didn't you guys have a whole revolutionary war so you wouldn't have to pay attention to them?

Exactly. And yet the media loves to obsess over the latest doings of the royal children. They're cute kids, and I wish them well, but I don't care what size turd the older one shat today.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've never known any american to care even the slightest bit about foreign royal families. Even when Princess Di died we all just kinda tried to get our shopping done while hundreds of thousands of unsold "Candle in the Wind" CD pallets blocked our paths.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

America's obsession with the British royal family is really strange to me. I've no particular objection to them myself but didn't you guys have a whole revolutionary war so you wouldn't have to pay attention to them?

Nobody cares about the royal family here, it's just the media.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think Canada's the one who cares too much. Easy mistake to make.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dross posted:

If the right to life is inalienable then why does capital punishment still exist?
Same with liberty/imprisonment.

It's hard to think of a worse example of a "silent letter" than the D in Wednesday. It's not silent! Sure, some people say "wensday", but plenty of people actually pronounce it "wednsday". You could make the argument that it would make more sense to spell it "Wedensday", but the D is there because it's part of the word.

Midig posted:

How to make language consistent and logical? Remove absolutely all exceptions from normally applied rules or write down all words exactly as it is pronounced. No loving silent letters!
Then you'd have people spelling the same word different ways based on regional pronunciations, accents, and personal preference. And you'd have disagreements on what letters make what sounds. Do we spell "castle" CASL, CARSL, CASSL, CASSEL, CARSL or CARSEL? Do we all switch to using the IPA for everything and have everyone pick their own spelling based on how they say the word? Would putting a K on the end of "anything" be wrong, or just reflect some people's pronunciation of the word?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Tiggum posted:

It's hard to think of a worse example of a "silent letter" than the D in Wednesday. It's not silent! Sure, some people say "wensday", but plenty of people actually pronounce it "wednsday".

You've really wounded me today. Please tell those people to stop. Tell them to stop everything.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Kingdoms are cooler when they have elective monarchies, anyway. Just Crusader King things.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It is a pretty popular conception that americans care a lot about the british royalty, but my experience is more like what Mu Zeta said. I mean, you'll occasionally hear people talk about how hot they think kate middleton/the princes are but I never heard it go beyond that. It's like the Kardashians - nobody really cares except the tabloids and the people who buy/read tabloids.

also I haven't heard anyone pronounce the d in wednesday unless they are trying to be "funny" by saying wed-ness-day. I mean, I can kind of hear it sometimes as wendsday but it's more toward the silent side and that's the way it should be.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

loving nobody pronounces the first D in Wednesday, what the gently caress.

Like, pronouncing it the way its spelled is a lovely comedy bit I heard on comedy central radio once

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Back in college we pronounced it Wetnessday.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Like, pronouncing it the way its spelled is a lovely comedy bit I heard on comedy central radio once

I do. If you don't you sound dumb as gently caress

wait is this americans being wrong about the english language again because lmao if so

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So people pronounce it as "Whens-day"? Never heard that. Don't tend to hear "Wed-nes-day" either. It's always "Wedensday".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've known people that pronounce Tuesday as "Tuesdee" and it makes me angry hearing it.

And yeah nobody says the D in Wednesday unless you're an ESL student.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Soiled Meat
You don't pronounce it Wodans-day?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wednesay

PHUO: Agile development is dumb and lovely, but managers love it because they think it means they don't have to commit to a project plan and can just keep changing the specs and then throw the project team under the bus when they fail to redo four months of work in one week.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is a pretty popular conception that americans care a lot about the british royalty, but my experience is more like what Mu Zeta said. I mean, you'll occasionally hear people talk about how hot they think kate middleton/the princes are but I never heard it go beyond that. It's like the Kardashians - nobody really cares except the tabloids and the people who buy/read tabloids.

Yeah it's really misstated that anyone in America actually cares about British royalty or the kardasians when it's more that they're the equivalent of background noise radio pop. My mom and sister watch (or at least used to watch) the kardashians when they'd come on but when I asked them a few questions about them they didn't really know or care much about them. It's like saying Americans are obsessed with McDonald's because it's a ubiquitous and easy place to grab a burger: the only people obsessed with McDonald's are loving pop culture weirdos like that Big Mac dude from supersize me who eats one every day

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saagonsa posted:

I'm American and just doing it naturally and slowing it down I'm definitely putting a d before the n. Given the US though that's probably not the be all and end all since there's a billion dialects here but it's there, it's just a really quick transition

No ones saying wed-ness-day it sounds almost exactly like Wensday just with a click of d before the n

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah it's really misstated that anyone in America actually cares about British royalty or the kardasians when it's more that they're the equivalent of background noise radio pop. My mom and sister watch (or at least used to watch) the kardashians when they'd come on but when I asked them a few questions about them they didn't really know or care much about them.

My sister watches Keeping Up With the Kardashians almost religiously and I don't understand why. I don't understand what the appeal of it is.

I've never really gotten any reality TV that isn't some manner of competition; I get something like Britain's Got Talent or the X Factor because you're invested in who you want to win.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Sep 7, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

I've known people that pronounce Tuesday as "Tuesdee" and it makes me angry hearing it.

I do this, sorry. That's just how most of my family said it so I picked it up. I agree it is pretty stupid and nonsensical but :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never really gotten any reality TV that isn't some manner of competition; I get something like Britain's Got Talent or the X Factor because you're invested in who you want to win.
I'm the opposite. I can't stand the competition ones, but I'll watch the "follow these weird people living their lives" ones. The competitions are all so slow and the manufactured drama doesn't mesh with the contest side of it for me. Like, just the drama is good, and just the competition would probably be fine as well, but putting them both together results in emphasising the worst parts of both.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Wednesay

PHUO: Agile development is dumb and lovely, but managers love it because they think it means they don't have to commit to a project plan and can just keep changing the specs and then throw the project team under the bus when they fail to redo four months of work in one week.

Agile development is actually good but only if you're under competent management. When idiots use it the way you stated it's horrible dogshit that allows management to gently caress up and blame it on the guys lower down for their own lack of foresight and planning. Used well it allows you to react quickly to changes, like if you realize this feature you're developing is actually dumb and bad you can remove it quickly before you spend four months working on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lmao what the gently caress is a wednesday

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
When Di died I vividly remember my mum recording the whole 8 hour funeral on tape. It's not been watched since and I'm pretty sure the whole thing is on YouTube in better quality.

During the last royal wedding our entire office at the time (me and 5 women) paused working for 2 hours to watch the livestream. It was kind of interesting but my cynical brain couldn't help thinking it was all a bit showy and unnecessary.

Still Kate Middleton is an absolute 10/10 till it fell off kind of girl so it's not all bad.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
No widely spoken language is going to be without regional accents, and it's silly to argue over them.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Then you'd have people spelling the same word different ways based on regional pronunciations, accents, and personal preference. And you'd have disagreements on what letters make what sounds. Do we spell "castle" CASL, CARSL, CASSL, CASSEL, CARSL or CARSEL? Do we all switch to using the IPA for everything and have everyone pick their own spelling based on how they say the word? Would putting a K on the end of "anything" be wrong, or just reflect some people's pronunciation of the word?

We spell castle as CASTL. If people have been using that word without the T I am a loving moron.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Midig posted:

We spell castle as CASTL. If people have been using that word without the T I am a loving moron.

You don't pronounce the t and there sure as hell ain't no r sound.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You don't pronounce the t and there sure as hell ain't no r sound.

In that case CASL or CASSEL. Both work and are consistent with the sound of the letters.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Sep 8, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Midig posted:

How to make language consistent and logical? Remove absolutely all exceptions from normally applied rules or write down all words exactly as it is pronounced. No loving silent letters!

Yeah no ambiguity in a language when homophones are spelled the same and only determined entirely through context

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah no ambiguity in a language when homophones are spelled the same and only determined entirely through context

maybe not at 100 percent, but getting rid of silent letters is a good start.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Silent letters aren't really a problem so much as consistency is. For example french has a shitload of silent or oddly-pronounced constructions but once you know how to pronounce french words it's extremely easy to know how to pronounce a new one, because the unique spellings are consistent almost all across the language. Or at least they're close enough for a foreigner to pronounce generic decent-sounding french with little accent. Modern spoken language is all over the place, but it's worlds away from tomb-bomb-comb.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Brits are always riding American asses about proper speech but when you actually go there everyone's dropping H's like Ivy Mike.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
People who believe in astrology are insufferable

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The occult is real. Spirits, ghosts, magic, demons, ley lines, the other side, psychics, witchcraft, gods and goddesses, laws of sympathy and contagion, its all real.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Blue Star posted:

The occult is real. Spirits, ghosts, magic, demons, ley lines, the other side, psychics, witchcraft, gods and goddesses, laws of sympathy and contagion, its all real.

Nope

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

You're right, i forgot to include the faerie folk, skinchangers, vampires, grimoires, the philosopher's stone, Atlantis, ancient astronauts, qi, astral projection, channeling, crystal healing, and more. There's simply too many to include, though. The universe is far vaster and stranger than we can conceive.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Blue Star posted:

You're right, i forgot to include the faerie folk, skinchangers, vampires, grimoires, the philosopher's stone, Atlantis, ancient astronauts, qi, astral projection, channeling, crystal healing, and more. There's simply too many to include, though. The universe is far vaster and stranger than we can conceive.

Nope

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

We Know Catheters posted:

People who believe in astrology are insufferable

Not as insufferable as people who say this, because no one takes astrology seriously except people who are determined to make sure no one takes astrology seriously

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

You're right, I also forgot about ascended masters, hermeticism, the goetia, naguals, tulpas, zombies, the yeti, the manananngal and penanggalan, mermaids, shadows, walk-ins, and again much much more. Thanks for reminding me that there's always so much more that we know or ever can know. You're really helpful! Are you a reincarnation of an Atlantean sage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Occult and religious poo poo are terribly fascinating, real or not. I like the power of their aesthetics. It's cool to walk into a cathedral or up to a giant Buddha and be gobsmacked with a proclamation of dedication and devotion like that. Same with all the witchy voodoo stuff: it has a neat feeling to it, like it carries so much meaning for another person's vision of reality that they might as well be from another world.