Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm curious if this game will contain any of the secret things in it that super metroid had where the game didn't explicitly tell you you could do stuff but you could learn how to do it from the animals or however the hell you were intended to find out about the crystal flash move. Is there anything in super metroid that hints that crystal flash is a thing that exists?

the back of the manual says to watch the demo after the title screen for hints about secret techniques so maybe there. i dunno though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there anything in super metroid that hints that crystal flash is a thing that exists?

If you sit at the title screen a demo play thing starts up that shows it being used at one point, as well as a lot of other things that aren't explicitly said.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did everyone hear that LA Noire is back

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What made Super Metroid so good was that it knew when to shut the gently caress up and let you play

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

lol why and how the gently caress would they do that.

I suspect Nintendo brought out Metroid in full force because AM3R got so much hype that they think the IP might have more legs than they suspected. If their version of M2 flops hard, they will get might nervous about MP4, which was never a huge seller to begin with. Cancelling would be dumb as hell but it's also Nintendo. Still, more likely is they'll dial it back and just put in enough resources to get it working to the point where the die hards will claim it's great and everyone else is just a hater that's playing it wrong.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

please tell us more about this

YOU'RE FULL OF poo poo HELP IM ALIVE, YOU KILLED HER AND DUMPED THE BODY IN THE RIVER DIDN'T YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

DLC Inc posted:

literally everyone is saying this but it's been 2 days, review it again in like a month or two, that's the true test

Hey man, I dig. I think people who play a game at release and then burst into the room claiming it's GotY are nuts, I'm just giving some initial impressions. And not for nothing but it sounds like Bungie's learned a lot from the turgid launch of Destiny so they reworked the engine to allow quicker changes and hired two more studios to just work on mission content. But I know the true test of this kind of game is its longevity, so take everything I saw with a huge pinch of salt until November or so.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Really Pants posted:

please tell us more about this

YOU'RE FULL OF poo poo HELP IM ALIVE, YOU KILLED HER AND DUMPED THE BODY IN THE RIVER DIDN'T YOU

lol

It's getting a PS4/Xbox/Switch remaster with all the DLC in I think November

there's also a vive version

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

"So, do you gently caress young boys Valdez" is maybe the greatest line in video games history.

He tosses it off so casually and Valdez loses his poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey man, I dig. I think people who play a game at release and then burst into the room claiming it's GotY are nuts, I'm just giving some initial impressions. And not for nothing but it sounds like Bungie's learned a lot from the turgid launch of Destiny so they reworked the engine to allow quicker changes and hired two more studios to just work on mission content. But I know the true test of this kind of game is its longevity, so take everything I saw with a huge pinch of salt until November or so.

as long as they don't rework the economy again I'd probably jump back on by December, since I'd guess that's when the first expansive thing happens. Did not know they had extra studios to do content now so that's a plus. Not having Warlocks with self-rez anymore is already going to be a big change for everything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm curious if this game will contain any of the secret things in it that super metroid had where the game didn't explicitly tell you you could do stuff but you could learn how to do it from the animals or however the hell you were intended to find out about the crystal flash move. Is there anything in super metroid that hints that crystal flash is a thing that exists?

I think the manual did but nothing in game iirc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Love that the real money Destiny lootboxes drop one time use cosmetics that you can't get any other way

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Love that the real money Destiny lootboxes drop one time use cosmetics that you can't get any other way

Maybe Destiny will kill loot boxes.

I know it won't.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I bought DUSK and have been having a lot of fun with the first episode. Definitely an homage to 90's Doom & Quake.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

lol I just read about that. what a ratfucker move by Bungie. I remember in the previous game they were permanent across like all characters you owned and you could use and try them whenever you want. gently caress that though PAY UP GUARDIAN

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

meat police posted:

I bought DUSK and have been having a lot of fun with the first episode. Definitely an homage to 90's Doom & Quake.

It's real good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

In Training posted:

By "can't get any other way" you're ignoring the ones that drop with every full exp bar after 20? Or are they different Bright Engrams?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

StoryTime posted:

This video was what made me hopeful about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gwqVKTJvjc

It looks like 2D metroid.

The only thing that bothers me is the running animation, but everything else about it looks cool. It looks like its own thing, rather than a Super Metroid fan mod like AM2R was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One week until Samus Returns :pray:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do you still have to buy the amiibo toys for stuff like Fusion suit DLC in Samus Returns?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Do you still have to buy the amiibo toys for stuff like Fusion suit DLC in Samus Returns?

Yes.

I was honestly annoyed because I saw a headline that said "AMIIBO NOT NEEDED FIR HARD MODE" and when I actually clicked the article it mentioned that for hard mode all you needed to do was beat the game...but for the even harder fusion mode you needed an Amiibo so thanks for click baiting me with no news I guess

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 7, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Grapplejack posted:

"So, do you gently caress young boys Valdez" is maybe the greatest line in video games history.

He tosses it off so casually and Valdez loses his poo poo.

"Listen man, I just kiss corpses sometimes. It's not weird or anything."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yes.

I was honestly annoyed because I saw a headline that said "AMIIBO NOT NEEDED FIR HARD MODE" and when I actually clicked the article it mentioned that for hard mode all you needed to do was beat the game...but for the even harder fusion mode you needed an Amiibo so thanks for click baiting me with no news I guess
God that's really annoying. I'd check out some of the DLC stuff but I really don't care about the figures and would probably just throw them away if I had them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's ways to hack amiibo stuff with programs or something. Ive never cared about it but if Ultra Hard really is amiibo specific ill look into doing it finally

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can fake amiibos with NFC hacking tools but that's an awfully long way to go just to cheat at a single player game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't blame people for doing it when Hard Mode is DLC.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

On kind of a whim now I'm playing Return of Samus and I forgot how bad I am at these bomb jumps in Metroid games. I can never quite get the timing right. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Y doubt
X truth         B lie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
> Y

DON'T GIVE ME THAT poo poo YOU KNEW LA NOIRE WAS BACK ALL ALONG rear end in a top hat

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
L.A. Noire is definitely not coming to the Switch

*sweating profusely, tugs collar and eyes continually shift back and forth for a full 5 seconds*

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Xbox layout of ABXY disgusts me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clockwise Zabie supremacy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

it does and i always get it backwards, do you have any idea how many times i lost deadlocks in gundam musou because of that poo poo

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

it does and i always get it backwards, do you have any idea how many times i lost deadlocks in gundam musou because of that poo poo

QTEs should have the other nearby buttons greyed out or made translucent or something so the player gets another layer of information on where the button they should be pressing is. It should have the button's color, shape or letter, and position.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

normal brain: bayx
super brain: abxy
giant brain: cross, circle, square, triangle
transcendent brain:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

check this out.

circle: one line
x: two lines
triangle: three lines
square: four lines

that's the power of the cell processor

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hmm, I don't understand. Can we get a few more refrigerators in here to crack the code?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jay Rust posted:

What made Super Metroid so good was that it knew when to shut the gently caress up and let you play

Its also the only game/series in the genre to really nail sense of progression and actually make backtracking fun. As great as they are in their own ways, Hollow Knight and Ori and the modern games don't scratch that same itch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Noooo FFXV I liked you so much...why do you have instant Fail stealth missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres a lot of dumb poo poo in there especially in the last half

• Locked thread