Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

I will never forgive LA Noir for the moment when you need to accuse someone of a murder and I was like "I am pretty sure that it's none of these people" but you need to accuse someone to progress the plot and then later on the game is like "you fool, you accused the wrong person"

I pretty much lost interest probably 3/4 of the way through because it felt like the game was railroading me into drawing false conclusions, which killed my interest in pretending to be a detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Snak posted:

I pretty much lost interest probably 3/4 of the way through because it felt like the game was railroading me into drawing false conclusions, which killed my interest in pretending to be a detective.

I lost interest in the game as well, but I wouldn't mind playing it again. It was technically impressive for its time and stylish af. I'd pick it up again for, like, $15.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah LA Noire is a game that needs to be ripped off for its good ideas, not remade with all the bad ones intact.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well we spent all this money on cutting-edge mocap technology for a 10 hour game, which we must now justify by adding back 20 hours of pointless open world content.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

does anyone know if that Gamestop deal to trade in a vanilla ps4 for 220 or so is sill in effect? I may upgrade to a Pro today

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doingitwrong posted:

Prey: I played and enjoyed it on Xbox. It's definitely a System Shock 3 successor (weirdly, given the name). Lots of options for coming at things in strange ways and the glue gun is fun as hell.

Bethesda rocked up to Arkane Studios with a bucket of money and asked if they had a game they could slap the Prey label on. The fact they were already working on a System Shock-esque title was incidental.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
CSI did the same retroactive plot twist deal a couple times to make some of their villains more sinister and manipulative, but I think that mechanic doesn't work as well in a game, and especially not one structured and presented like LA Noire.

There's a difference in investment, in a show it's a dramatic shock that the brilliant investigators didn't make a connection with a piece of evidence that didn't fit, but in a game it's an obnoxious irritation that the game gave you evidence that clearly leads to some questions and then didn't let you give the right answers.

I know CSI is dumb and kinda trashy, but video games aren't all that much better, so it's a fair comparison I think.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Shadow225 posted:

does anyone know if that Gamestop deal to trade in a vanilla ps4 for 220 or so is sill in effect? I may upgrade to a Pro today

You still get $50 extra if you are a member of their power rewards or whatever but I have seen base trade in values for the ps4 between 160 and 175 like just within the last few days

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Destiny 2 is more of the same and all and that's fine but let's be real the graphics really aren't that great

I have a pro and KS8000. I feel like there's a setting y'all know about that I don't (this is a rhetorical statement)

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Destiny 2 is more of the same and all and that's fine but let's be real the graphics really aren't that great

I have a pro and KS8000. I feel like there's a setting y'all know about that I don't (this is a rhetorical statement)

Yeah that's how I feel too (also on a pro). Blurry textures, terrain and models not particularly detailed. And it only runs at 30fps.

I almost swear the first game looked better, but I guess it's more that the first game looked the same and we've had uncharted and horizon since then.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The sky box in 1 was good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TheDarkFlame posted:

CSI did the same retroactive plot twist deal a couple times to make some of their villains more sinister and manipulative, but I think that mechanic doesn't work as well in a game, and especially not one structured and presented like LA Noire.

There's a difference in investment, in a show it's a dramatic shock that the brilliant investigators didn't make a connection with a piece of evidence that didn't fit, but in a game it's an obnoxious irritation that the game gave you evidence that clearly leads to some questions and then didn't let you give the right answers.

I know CSI is dumb and kinda trashy, but video games aren't all that much better, so it's a fair comparison I think.

I don't actually want this spoiled, but I'm reasonably sure I solved the overarching case after like the second case involved in it, but the game doesn't let your character make these connections, which is super frustrating.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tgent posted:

Yeah that's how I feel too (also on a pro). Blurry textures, terrain and models not particularly detailed. And it only runs at 30fps.

I almost swear the first game looked better, but I guess it's more that the first game looked the same and we've had uncharted and horizon since then.

"it only runs at 30fps" describes virtually 99% of console games

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A lot of the AAA twitch FPS games released over the past year or so have been 60fps, expectations are rising. It's a good thing IMO

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

acksplode posted:

A lot of the AAA twitch FPS games released over the past year or so have been 60fps, expectations are rising. It's a good thing IMO

IIRC Destiny is the only console FPS running at 30 FPS at this point for PvP. I wish Bungie had gone for a 30/60 split for PvE and PvP like Uncharted 4 but apparently Bungie's goal of integrating the two styles made them just go for 30 everywhere.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

haveblue posted:

You can earn it all for free, but it's more egregious than before as some things that used to be reusable are now consumable and playing space barbie dress-up without spending money is harder.

i am not going to buy the game with the current shader system

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fix posted:

Is there any go-to site for patch notes for games? I see occasional updates for small, old games I have on my system and I was curious to know what they're still changing. I can go to the developer's site, but if anyone out there is aggregating that sort of thing, that'd be a good and cool thing, too.

I don't think so. A lot of the time you can just hit Options on the dashboard and head to Update Notes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

IIRC Destiny is the only console FPS running at 30 FPS at this point for PvP. I wish Bungie had gone for a 30/60 split for PvE and PvP like Uncharted 4 but apparently Bungie's goal of integrating the two styles made them just go for 30 everywhere.

Battlefield. Most console shooters ran 60fps online even last gen.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Haven't played for a while but I'm sure battlefield 1 runs at a solid 60fps, on the pro at least

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Should I get Everybody's Golf? Here's my thoughts so far:

Pro:
-I could go for some golf
-I'm a member of everybody, so this might be the golf for me

Con:
-It's $40
-Are the microtransactions obnoxious?

Thank you for the help

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Well we spent all this money on cutting-edge mocap technology for a 10 hour game, which we must now justify by adding back 20 hours of pointless open world content.

Well there's collectibles and some quick optional police call side missions, that's about it, not sure what you mean.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Should I get Everybody's Golf?

YEP

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Destiny 2 is ok I guess? I loved Destiny, think I had multiple max level Warlocks at one point because it meant more chances at Warlock gear. Eventually got the other classes up to max level, so I played through the campaign several times and enjoyed it.

Destiny 2's story is certainly better, but the gameplay is streamlined in a way that it's just not pulling at those same strings that made me enjoy Destiny.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

How is Everybody's Golf online multiplayer? I read in some review that you can't party up or even play your friends, but that seems too stupid to be correct.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

Should I get Everybody's Golf? Here's my thoughts so far:

Pro:
-I could go for some golf
-I'm a member of everybody, so this might be the golf for me

Con:
-It's $40
-Are the microtransactions obnoxious?

Thank you for the help

You definitely should. The microtransactions aren't really a thing at all. The main progression loop is a little grindy but overall very satisfying. It's as close to a modern interpretation of the old Camelot RPGs as we're likely to get so god willing they will continue to make and improve these games.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So uh my ps4 pro came with a code for "get more of Destiny 2 with 20% of all DLC & games!"

Which I don't get because the bundle comes with the expansion pass dlc etc already 🤷🏽‍♀️ or is it 20% off anything on the store

Anyone want it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think it's 20% off any purchase on the store, mine came with one too. Will probably hold onto it until some ridiculous PS+ flash sale and knock down the price of something I want hard.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ok yeah that makes sense I think I remember all new ps4s come with that, just poor wording

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm like halfway through Knack 2 and it's still really good. However, i feel like i need to go back and play the first one, because as it stands it feels like i am missing a LOT of the Knack Lore that enriches the Knackiverse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm like halfway through Knack 2 and it's still really good. However, i feel like i need to go back and play the first one, because as it stands it feels like i am missing a LOT of the Knack Lore that enriches the Knackiverse

https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/905173449064185857
https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/905174331323547648
You're welcome

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something about destiny 2 seems off to me. I enjoyed borderlands 1 and 2 a lot so it seems like it should be right up my alley, but everything I watch of it looks really uninspiring, which is weird because destiny 1 looked pretty attractive to me. The graphics (environments in particular) seem more bland and desaturated than what I saw of 1 somehow? Maybe it will seem better when it's at 60 FPS.

I might be waiting for monster hunter world for the next game to get hooked on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

Something about destiny 2 seems off to me. I enjoyed borderlands 1 and 2 a lot so it seems like it should be right up my alley, but everything I watch of it looks really uninspiring, which is weird because destiny 1 looked pretty attractive to me. The graphics (environments in particular) seem more bland and desaturated than what I saw of 1 somehow? Maybe it will seem better when it's at 60 FPS.

I might be waiting for monster hunter world for the next game to get hooked on.

lmbo

Nope.

Uninspiring is probably the first word that comes to mind re: Bungie games post-Halo 2. The Destiny IP is some tepid garbo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Someone said it in the Destiny thread and I agree for some reason D2 just doesn't feel as "smooth" or good as D1. The gunplay and such. Probably placebo but w/e

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I bought The Ninjawarriors instead of Destiny 2

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

stay safe on cannonball alley

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Uhhhh, the goblins are really evil though, and should be genocided

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey all:

IDK If this is a big deal but I noticed the Destiny 2 Collectors Edition was in stock

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hey all:

IDK If this is a big deal but I noticed the Destiny 2 Collectors Edition was in stock

:discourse:

Yeah! Very good. Really.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Digirat posted:

Maybe (Destiny 2) will seem better when it's at 60 FPS.

I played the PC beta at true 4K/ultra/60fps and it still didn't make the game feel like a sequel. I put about 300 hours into 1 but probably wouldn't even think about 2 if I didn't have a $30 off pre-order.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is Lance Reddick just in every game now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

So is Lance Reddick just in every game now?

Hopefully both him and Gideon Emery.