Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ixian posted:

I don't know if this was directed at me

No nothing at you, just at anime people. Always targeting anime people

Also people that brag about hosting insane amount of streams to people. Like, why the gently caress do you want to be a no-cost Netflix knock-off? epeen?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

astral posted:

Check out the SubZero agent for Plex.

See, I had no idea, and I couldn't have hoped for better than this. Thanks! Beats the poo poo out of the default subtitle handling in options alone.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Make sure that the show is done this exact way. Should not have any issues.

[url]https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220687-Naming-Series-Season-Based-TV-Shows

If the show is in the correct format, try taking it out of the directory and then moving it back in.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I may have missed this but what is the best way to name a 3D file so plex knows to set it correctly for my projector?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex has always been super behind on 3D, so I don't think there is one. It's annoying because even the opening things look good in 3D.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
Emby users, make sure you setup the thing properly and don't accidentally expose it to the internet.

It's really easy to expose it where it automatically logs into your user for anyone visiting. They can change your server settings, watch your poo poo, etc.

So far I've found 30 Emby servers completely open from a single hosting provider, and made this mistake myself initially.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

spiderlemur posted:

Emby users, make sure you setup the thing properly and don't accidentally expose it to the internet.

It's really easy to expose it where it automatically logs into your user for anyone visiting. They can change your server settings, watch your poo poo, etc.

So far I've found 30 Emby servers completely open from a single hosting provider, and made this mistake myself initially.

:stare:

Uh, that sounds like something that makes me really glad I use Plex instead of Emby! :eyepop:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Live TV and DVR is apparently available on Fire TV now bunch Plex launched a new UI that everyone thinks is extremely terrible. So 2 steps forward and 1 step back I guess

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, that new UI is poo poo but it does seem faster at least

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WhyteRyce posted:

Live TV and DVR is apparently available on Fire TV now bunch Plex launched a new UI that everyone thinks is extremely terrible. So 2 steps forward and 1 step back I guess

Sweet! Time to give that a try now. Thanks for the update. Anyone use it on FTV yet with an HDHR?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dphi posted:

Yeah, that new UI is poo poo but it does seem faster at least

Yeah but apparently there are more button clicks needed to get anywhere so that's a wash at best.

Engineers and technical people love to fantasize about working unencumbered and how managers/marketing/whoever get in their way, but man do they need to be smartly reigned in or you get stuff like this.

*brand new UI drops without notice or warning*
customers: Hey this new UI is complete garbage
plex employee: no it's actually better why don't you actually give concrete examples of why you hate it :rolleyes:
customers: This UI looks like some touchscreen app that was just blown up to fit on my TV
plex employee: well it's the Android TV UI so that means it's good
customers: The fonts look terrible. Like a touch screen app was blown up on my phone
plex employee: Something must be wrong with your TV settings :smug:
customers: There is no play button on the main menu page
plex employee: Well Android TV doesn't have that play button either :smug:
customers: Why does the menu take up an entire third of my screen
plex employee: The menu is only there when you are navigating it
customers: But the menu is the first thing I see when I start up Plex
plex employee: Well it shouldn't be and I can't seem to repro it
customers: And navigating is so slow now. I have to click a shitload of buttons now just to move anywhere
plex employee: Actually navigation is faster since this method uses less memory
customers: But I have to click a bunch of buttons to get anywhere and it's still slow
plex employee: I don't know let it cache your posters first and FireTV has lovely wifi anyway

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Live TV via web should be handy on Sunday. Fox game on the TV, CBS game on the laptop, or vice versa.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh thank god for live tv on web now. I wanted to watch some tv at work last week and had to resort to streaming it on my cell phone and then plugging the phone into my MacBook via USB and opening up QuickTime screen recorder to view it on the bigger screen. Not an ideal situation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a way to change the zoom/resolution through the LiveTv on FTV? I have SD channels that are only filling up about 70% of the screen. On the HDHR app through Kodi I can change the settings to stretch it to fill.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TraderStav posted:

Is there a way to change the zoom/resolution through the LiveTv on FTV? I have SD channels that are only filling up about 70% of the screen. On the HDHR app through Kodi I can change the settings to stretch it to fill.

Yuck

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Correct. If I can't make it full screen it ain't going to be worth the price of Plex pass when I can just switch over to Kodi and use the app there. I looking forward to all integrated within Plex

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Holy hell, Plex crashes on the unencrypted HD channels. Value prop entirely dropping now.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Any idea why Plex wont let me add channels above 999 from my HD Homerun? The second page of the set up screen where I select my tuner it sees channels above 999 just fine...

But when I put in my ZIP and start selecting which channels to add nothing over 999 is checked, and no channels above 999 appear in the drop down:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Holy hell, Plex crashes on the unencrypted HD channels. Value prop entirely dropping now.

Those playback fine for me

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Those playback fine for me

I have a direct coax going to my HDHR. Are you using a cablecard or the Prime?

HD Channels work perfectly on the Web.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I have a direct coax going to my HDHR. Are you using a cablecard or the Prime?

HD Channels work perfectly on the Web.

Cable card. All my Comcast HD channels playback ok. I haven't updated the firmware on my Prime since last December

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 10, 2017

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I’ve been using the iOS 11 beta and it has been a rollercoaster. Now that the iOS GM is “out” I feel like I can talk about some issues without the “omg ur on a beta” poo poo. Mainly, is anyone else seeing lots of oos issues? I can play the video in Chrome (on my iPad) with no issues- but the app I get varying degrees of oos-ness.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What is "oos"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of sync

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm absolutely sick of my 4k smart TV forcing me to downgrade all my content bitrate because it chokes on it, so I am shopping for a shield or need Roku.

I feel I should get the shield, but I probably dont care enough about the game controller. At this point, I just want it to handle all my content without issue and actually use the one remote to control the drat thing AND the tv. It seems like a holy grail.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I'm absolutely sick of my 4k smart TV forcing me to downgrade all my content bitrate because it chokes on it, so I am shopping for a shield or need Roku.

I feel I should get the shield, but I probably dont care enough about the game controller. At this point, I just want it to handle all my content without issue and actually use the one remote to control the drat thing AND the tv. It seems like a holy grail.

Let me tell you about America's Console, the Xbox One...

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

You should get the Shield, and the controller is basically a freebie. It does have far-field mics built into it for voice control if that is your jam.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
But does the remote turn OFF a Vizio TV? I tyool 2017 I refuse to keep a remote around just to turn the TV on and off. And buying a universal remote defeats everything.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
The AppleTV is the only box I've ever encountered that seems to have an actually working HDMI-CEC implementation (i.e. turns TV on/off when the AppleTV wakes/sleeps, and volume adjustment works too). Maybe the Shield does too now and someone can chime in. If you care about 4K you should probably order the 4K AppleTV though (and hope the Plex 4K playback on it is good?).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

For $180 I might as well just get a Shield though

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Unless you really love Apple there's virtually no reason to get an apple TV over a similarly priced Shield or cheaper Roku. I don't know how any actual human likes using that God awful remote control on ATV.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I really like the my Apple TV. It's really fast and multitasking is great which my Roku 3 doesn't even do. Also, I can side load apps which is fun/useful.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I never could get ATV sideloading to work very long at all. It seems with a free developer account you get a limited time on sideloaded apps so what you have to do is pay some shady site that runs a limited (and slowly being banned off one-by-one) paid developer accounts to authorize your sideloaded apps for you.

I like my ATV because AirPlay makes it like a Roku and a Chromecast in one. And it's unlikely that Apple ever pulls a Vizio.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

But does the remote turn OFF a Vizio TV? I tyool 2017 I refuse to keep a remote around just to turn the TV on and off. And buying a universal remote defeats everything.

I tell you what will turn off a Vizio TV - America's Console, the Microsoft Xbox One.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like my xbone s enough, but for a console with full UHD/4K/HDR capabilities I've not been massively impressed by its format compatability in plex. I just use the Apple TV 99% of the time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Godinster posted:

Unless you really love Apple there's virtually no reason to get an apple TV over a similarly priced Shield or cheaper Roku. I don't know how any actual human likes using that God awful remote control on ATV.

I still have audio sync issues with plex on my roku and I’m pretty heavy into the Apple ecosystem.

I’m getting one over the shield.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Godinster posted:

The Channels app on ATV is the best OTA app on any set top box right now

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The Channels app on ATV is the best OTA app on any set top box right now

That seems like a legitimate perk then. I only get two OTA channels where I live so I'd never be able to make use of it :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Google Live Channels is legit good and unlike the Channels app for ATV is free. For OTA/DVR it's fine. Nice guide (and free guide data) too.

The base level Shield now comes with a remote that will also control most TVs and sound bars (turn on/off, volume - the basics).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

People dont have harmonys in 2017? Huh