Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Eternal Fame and More Ghost Wolves is my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

cptn_dr posted:

I don't have access to my books while I'm at work, so does anyone know off the top of their heads whether the Daimon merit has been converted to 2nd Ed yet?

Not yet.

quote:

Also, I'm super excited about Fallen Worlds, it sounds like it's going to be fantastic.

I think so!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oooh, Innocents 2e!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is Dork Shards going to be like Mirrors with a bunch of alternate setting ideas?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

WtF: Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon (expanded 2e rules for Ghost Wolves, Pure and Bale Hounds)

Alright, been waiting for Bale Hounds for two years now and Pure are always fun. Plus will be interesting to see further weird cults from the ghost wolves.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cool, I'll wing it. It's for an NPC, so it shouldn't matter hugely anyway. And if a player wants to take the merit later on, I'll... Wing it again, I suppose.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
What would a Dullahan be in Chronicles terms if you had to tie it to an existing splat rather than just being a Weird Thing?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nothing to see here

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 5, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crasical posted:

What would a Dullahan be in Chronicles terms if you had to tie it to an existing splat rather than just being a Weird Thing?

Changeling is the obvious choice -- Dullahan are fey, they have a bane of gold, and so on -- but I wonder if you could de-Egypt-ify Mummy enough to make a sensible bog body character. Or maybe someone already has, I'm not exactly up on the supplementary books for Mummy.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Crasical posted:

Wikipedia says they're unseelie fairies, so Changeling seems obvious. Though it looks to be more like a huntsman or hedge monster than any Changeling.

It would fit fine as a Promethean or Pandoran. They have a detachable limb power that allows for heads. Belial's Brood has one too but if you take off the head the body is uncontrolled.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 5, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Soonmot posted:

So I basically found an IRL promethan origin story:

Does imagur not work here anymore?

Imgur works but you've tried to inline a whole album instead of just a single image.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\i blame the booze, thank you

So I basically found an IRL promethan origin story:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This man's life ends with horrified cops deciding to just write "misadventure" on their reports and going home to choose between therapy, alcoholism, or suicide.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
We had a dude do a pseudo-Dullahan as a Lost once. I do not remember the seeming/kith combo, just that he had that one pierced mask flaw that both a: Made his head being missing a thing even for other people who don't see through to your Changeling form, and b: Makes it look -really fake and dumb- so he just looked like a guy wearing a too big jacket pulled up over his head unless he had his bike helmet on.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kavak posted:

Is Dork Shards going to be like Mirrors with a bunch of alternate setting ideas?

Blog post didn't say, but probably.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Considering their strong associations with death and doom, I'd say a Dullahan makes a lot of sense as a Lare or other highly archetypal Underworld entity.

It also makes a surprising amount of sense as a Messenger angel.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
https://twitter.com/restartthevoid/status/904754765179101188

Meanwhile, the God Machine discovers The Lie

EDIT:

So Demons. if you temporarily pact someone for Cover, then you get a crappy temporary Rating 1 Cover that's just 'I am Steve', essentially, and then snaps back to the original owner once the time limit is up. Is that something you can do from 'Go', or do you need to reach Primum 2 (and the ability to have a secondary cover) before you can create and maintain the burner?

Crasical fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 7, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So the OP blog has been posting releases in the Storyteller's Vault and some of them are loving hilarious.

Like loving MISSOULA BY NIGHT turning Missoula, Montana into a vital battleground between Sabbat, Camarilla and werewolves.

Missoula, Montana.

Imagine an entire supplement of Flyover Country By Night

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Mors Rattus posted:

So the OP blog has been posting releases in the Storyteller's Vault and some of them are loving hilarious.

Like loving MISSOULA BY NIGHT turning Missoula, Montana into a vital battleground between Sabbat, Camarilla and werewolves.

Missoula, Montana.

I just drove through Missoula, and it's a somewhat college town? I could see a Sabbat trying to stake claim and get crushed by Gangrel & werewolves (I am living on oWoD terminology).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Turning what I presume is the writer's hometown into a WoD setting sounds like a lot of fun for her and her pals, but who the hell is going to want to buy it? I wouldn't try to sell Contra Costa by Night to anyone.

EDIT: Oh wow I can't even tell which one is spelling it wrong http://www.storytellersvault.com/product/220765/Bloodlinebook-Deava?src=newest_community&coverSizeTest=true&filters=45622

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Crasical posted:

So Demons. if you temporarily pact someone for Cover, then you get a crappy temporary Rating 1 Cover that's just 'I am Steve', essentially, and then snaps back to the original owner once the time limit is up. Is that something you can do from 'Go', or do you need to reach Primum 2 (and the ability to have a secondary cover) before you can create and maintain the burner?

These are technically not one-dot Covers, but something more ephemeral. They're called façades, and their rules are in the Player's Guide; they're not even quite "I am Steve," but "I am some kind of janitor," without more definition than that, and Steve isn't a janitor while you're borrowing the façade. Since they're not full Covers, and are purely temporary, you can deal for them fresh out of chargen at Primum 1, yes.

Mors Rattus posted:

Missoula, Montana.

Isn't the very first Masquerade city setting Gary, Indiana? Though I think that was the point in the Gary setting, that it was small time and in decline.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm honestly disappointed with the Vault. It makes little difference to me either way since I'm boycotting, but it's going to keep the work of fans that's actually good mostly in the Vault ghetto rather than being pitched to be official. At the same time, fuckwits are already going around calling themselves 'freelancers' because they put a thing on the Vault and got a couple of sales.

Probably for the best, since I'd otherwise be spending too much time writing up niche stories extracted from intertextual references in the books and writing up specific small-b bloodlines ala Dark Ages for the Modern Nights. Though to be honest, the idea of a deliberately ambiguous in-universe project by an Unseelie Nocker to map out changeling statistics that ends in him succumbing completely to bedlam, then resuming as another takes up the work, before ending on a changelog that shows it's been repeated since the discipline of statistics was invented as a sort of Nocker curse that manifests by the slow death of the afflicted by harnessing the impossibility of converting raw dreams into statistical analysis and the inherent result of either bedlam or banality is kind of fun too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
See, most everything that's going to be on there isn't going to be all that great. There might be a few diamonds, but predominately it'll be garbage that is laid out poorly.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually like the idea of having a place to share the Mods and Settings that you might make for a chronicle or your play group or whatever, but it's connected to WW and not OP which is the first issue. Then there's the second issue of the copyright garbage they're doing. That's just compounded by their general crazy decision making over there in WW land.

It's really too bad, because it's not a terrible idea to give someone else a couple dollars for the creative work they're doing.

E: Still doesn't make you a freelancer. To be one of those you'd have to be working for a company. Otherwise you're just writing fan fiction on your own.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's not so much 'flyover country is a bad setting' to me so much as 'all-out war in the streets in the middle of flyover country is the funniest goddamn thing.'

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I played (very briefly) in a LARP once where Natchitoches, Louisiana was actually a major metropolis on par with Atlanta or Houston. It makes me wonder how many tiny-rear end burgs in the MET WoD have been turned into giant cities for the benefit of the sad, sad people who LARP there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

I'm honestly disappointed with the Vault. It makes little difference to me either way since I'm boycotting, but it's going to keep the work of fans that's actually good mostly in the Vault ghetto rather than being pitched to be official. At the same time, fuckwits are already going around calling themselves 'freelancers' because they put a thing on the Vault and got a couple of sales.

Probably for the best, since I'd otherwise be spending too much time writing up niche stories extracted from intertextual references in the books and writing up specific small-b bloodlines ala Dark Ages for the Modern Nights. Though to be honest, the idea of a deliberately ambiguous in-universe project by an Unseelie Nocker to map out changeling statistics that ends in him succumbing completely to bedlam, then resuming as another takes up the work, before ending on a changelog that shows it's been repeated since the discipline of statistics was invented as a sort of Nocker curse that manifests by the slow death of the afflicted by harnessing the impossibility of converting raw dreams into statistical analysis and the inherent result of either bedlam or banality is kind of fun too.

An unbroken string of six-year-old statistics gurus who, without fail, go insane or Banal by the time they turn 25.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The latest version of Vampire 5e is up for playtests.

You need to sign up for the website to download it, and like... No thanks. I don't know what shitbag internet garbage person might gain access to that info.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I played (very briefly) in a LARP once where Natchitoches, Louisiana was actually a major metropolis on par with Atlanta or Houston. It makes me wonder how many tiny-rear end burgs in the MET WoD have been turned into giant cities for the benefit of the sad, sad people who LARP there.

Ask me about LARPing in SF and getting told that PCs in Amador County, CA, had invested enough influences to make the county seat of Jackson (population 4000) a larger and more prosperous city than the entire bay area.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Anything special with the meatpies in that larp? Because that town has the absolute best meat pies.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
When I ran Vampire, I deliberately turned a small town in Oregon into a larger metro area specifically so I had license to improvise and make poo poo up about the city (and not worry about a 1:1 map) without being completely unmoored from any real-world inspirations.

Of course, I really doubt that's the angle these people were using.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I actually like the conceptual idea of a small town being entirely run by vampire's meatbags and puppets. It's a fairly interesting idea, but I have no idea how it would translate to a LARP. It would very much get the attention of the larger city vampires, but probably not be a priority until it was already fairly influential. It's also on theme for large parts of the United States in the rural/urban divide and antagonisms that you can see anytime you look at state and national politics.

So, pretty cool idea for a table top game, but probably a drag in LARPs, because how often are those players actually going to travel to do the larger area cross-border crap? Maybe once a quarter and probably only a handful of players. So there's really not an opportunity for that conflict to actually exist, except on the character sheets which is a terrible shame.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's honestly a lot less :magical: stuff than I thought there'd be on the Vault. A lot less content in general, really. And some of it looks legitimately fairly interesting, like the better-written setting guides by people who actually live in the place in question.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Kibner posted:

Anything special with the meatpies in that larp? Because that town has the absolute best meat pies.

I don't think the vampires ate any meat pies, but I did feel that my time would've been much better spent eating crawfish pies at Lasyone's.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So it's been a long time, but a recent cleaning of my room and finding a place to store all my old nWOD books and other RPG books got me nostalgic. The most recent thing I have is the Mummy core book and never heard of the second editions. I love the nWOD setting and making stories out of it and the pieces the suppliment books gave you.

Is there anything I should know getting back into picking up nWOD books? Also, the gently caress happened with Beast?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 8, 2017

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

So it's been a long time, but a recent cleaning of my room and finding a place to store all my old nWOD books and other RPG books got me nostalgic. The most recent thing I have is the Mummy core book and was wondering where a good place to start is. I love the nWOD setting and making stories out of it and the pieces the suppliment books gave you.

Is there anything I should know getting back into picking up nWOD books? Also, the gently caress happened with Beast?

There's been a whole new edition. 2e, or "Chronicles of Darkness". You may also find it referred to as The God-Machine Chronicle (Rules Update) because the rollout was a bit of a mess. Started as just a rules update which halfway through the process of changing over they decided was actually a new edition which they then decided was going to have a brand new name because having two World of Darknesses was getting confusing since they're actively releasing oWoD content now.

Anyway the best place to start is probably the actual book called Chronicles of Darkness. It's the core rulebook like before, but with all the new rules. The splatbooks actually contain most of the core rules now, though, so if you want you can just go for whichever one appeals to you the most.

Currently Vampire, Werewolf, Mage and Promethean have 2e books out, Changeling is coming out soon-ish and Mummy was recently announced. Hunter has some rules updates in Mortal Remains, but afaik no complete overhaul. Demon: the Descent was the first new game line after the shift, but it hit at kind of an awkward time when the whole 2e business was just "the rules update" so it's a little "off" from all the other stuff. It's pretty darn rad, though. Basically a Cold War spy game except all the players are techgnostic monstrosities and instead of the Soviets you have an all-powerful demiurge.

We also have Deviant: the Renegades in the works. It's looking to be a really cool game about being mutants, cyborgs, zombies and other freaks on the run from the organizations that created you. We have been promised that it is possible to re-enact the end of Akira, but that we should not expect to survive it. Luckily we've also been promised mechanics for replacing PCs who die in the course of the game, so that should be interesting.

Beast is... TL;DR it's got this really uncomfortable narrative voice where the player characters are unequivocally horrible monsters, but the text keeps bending over backwards to justify their actions and paint anyone who opposes these dangerous sadists as stupid meanies who can't just can't understand how Special and Important beasts are.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

OH YEAH! THE GOD MACHINE! I do have the book with all the story hooks in it, but not the rules or Demon. I think it was because I didn't realize I bought the wrong thing. So with second edition, does this mean that old source books are no longer cannon or work or whatever?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

OH YEAH! THE GOD MACHINE! I do have the book with all the story hooks in it, but not the rules or Demon. I think it was because I didn't realize I bought the wrong thing. So with second edition, does this mean that old source books are no longer cannon or work or whatever?

If you have The God-Machine Chronicle, the rules update should be in there somewhere, I think. It's also available as a free stand-alone PDF, but Chronicles of Darkness is probably the most coherent way to take in the new rules since you don't have to do any cross-referencing and/or rely on murky memories of 1e rules.

As for backwards compatibility, it's a bit of a mixed back. The core systems are the same, but a lot of specific rules (powers, Merits, that sort of thing) require porting to work in the new system. Afaik they didn't completely warp any of the lore and most of it probably still scans unless otherwise noted, but they have made significant changes and additions. Vampires for example had their weakness to the sun reworked so it scales off Humanity and Blood Potency and got a brand-new ancestral foe in the Strix.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been using the 1st Ed Order books (minus Free Council, because lol) and a few of the other sourcebooks (Astral Realms, Seers, and so on) for Mage 2nd Ed, and they don't require a lot of tweaking for setting info. Porting stuff over mechanically isn't too tricky, either.

I assume the ratio of what works: what needs changing is pretty similar for the other game lines too.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

BigRed0427 posted:

The God-Machine Chronicle as it was initially released has a Rules Update Appendix in the back, which requires you to reference the 1e World of Darkness rulebook for certain things, but combined together with the 1e rulebook is a complete set of rules to run a 2e game for human characters. The 2e Chronicles of Darkness rulebook reprints those GMC story hooks and mechanical content in a form that doesn't require the 1e rulebook, adds some storytelling advice and some optional expanded systems (foot chases, equipment crafting, miscellaneous monsters Hunter style), and a handful of extra Merits. To fit things for space, it also cuts some stuff that was in the original GMC release (supernatural equipment and the Introduction's excellent plain-language explanation of the God-Machine and its role in a game), for what that's worth.

Old sourcebooks are generally mostly trustworthy as far as flavor text and exposition goes; setting-wise, more is kept than altered or discarded. Mechanically, certain kinds of content are more forward-compatible than others, because certain systems changed more in the edition rollover than others. Mortal Merits are generally going to be mostly compatible, unless they interact with the Morality system (which was transformed into the less prescriptive Integrity system) or derangements and flaws (which are gone, their role occupied by persistent Conditions). All the Attributes and Skills are the same. The process of rolling them is, outside of combat, the same. Their experience costs are different.

Things get thornier when you get into monster gamelines like Vampire or Mage. The 2e corebooks for those gamelines introduce new or altered mechanics more liberally such that, for example, most Werewolf Gifts are no longer structured by dot levels, Mage spells no longer have such a concept as a covert or vulgar aspect, and Promethean Transmutations don't even have experience costs in the early game, behaving more like equipped abilities than acquired ones. Most of these changes are presented in ways that are still compatible with how the setting was generally presented in the past. Some are departures.

Demon's really good. The upcoming Deviant is looking sharp so far. Beast is confused, clumsy, and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, I just wen't skimming through Beast (Found a PDF online somewhere.)

I like the concept (Monsters of Legend meant to teach humans lessons in their dreams and the Heros tasked with killing them). But yeah, this comes off as mainly wanting to do a setting that incorporates all of the other games and...it just seems generic.

If you wan't to do a Monster VS Humans story, why aren't you playing Hunter? Or using Hunters as your villains? Why does there need to be special mechanics and rules for human villains to Beasts? If you want to play fairy tail creatures, why aren't you playing Changeling? If you want to play coming to peace with your inner animal, why aren't you playing Werewolf? If you want to explore dreams or other strange realms, Why aren't you playing Mage? And if you want to play a monster that feeds off humans to survive, Why aren't you playing Vampire? And if you wanna do the "Beast teaching humans a lesson" Why not play a Lacena Sanctum character?

Also, I use to play Vampire mostly (Even though Mage was my fav book set) If my PC had to talk to or work with Beasts then I am going to be looking at them mainly as wannabe vampires. Maybe a step or two above the people who read Twilight or Ann Rice one to many times. My ST used those people now and then.

I just skimmed it though so I might be missing stuff.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 8, 2017