Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nuebot posted:

To be fair, that would happen to anyone who played all of the megaman battle network games over a short period of time. It took like over a year for the second Battle Network 3 LP to finally finish. Second because the image host died and ate the first one. Other people took over when the first guy burned out, and they managed to troll the entire internet by making up a fake scene in a decade old game. Gamefaqs and wikis updated rapidly within like a day of that poo poo updating. Then the next update or so they just revealed to everyone they faked it.

Got a link to the fake-out? That sounds hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Garrand posted:

The creator of the game MODE made an account for sgfs thread and was quickly banned after questioning the true events behind 9/11.

Well, I remember MODE. That doesn't really surprise me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Choco1980 posted:

I always feel bad that he gets lumped in with these others because in his case, it wasn't him being a weird goon as much as there being a tragic accident that he admitted fault to. While his thread ending message was as abrupt as that, it wasn't as casual as you make it sound. Just, he kept it brief and didn't go into details, which is reasonable, and then didn't say anything else about it, presumably doing his time, before coming back and trying to resume the life and hobbies he was known for. IIRC, the LP he was working on at the time and stopped preemptively was of the Japanese RPG "Live a Live"

From what I always read it was DUI related which isn't very accidental imo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Got a link to the fake-out? That sounds hilarious

Here-abouts I think Quickly after the update hit places like the megaman wikia and TVTropes rushed to update about this amazing secret the guy found. Then he revealed that he had clowned everyone. It w as fun and I actually liked the LP though the guy's over the top style and often lovely jokes got to be a too much for some people.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Panfilo posted:

These guys' responses puzzle me. Why even publicly admit to running someone over? Even if it was a genuine accident, the court of Internet opinion is so fickle that there is no way it couldn't backfire eventually.

Like the best thing to do if a LPer was involved in something like that would be to keep it private. Why broadcast things that will turn so many people against you?

And why does it seem like Let's Players and Mods are so prone to this kind of poo poo? I can't imagine a co worker casually mentioning some bombshell like these, for good reason. And it happens time after time time,to the extent you'd think these folks wouldn't want people to know ANYTHING about their personal life, regardless if they had the most boring harmless Mr Rogers existence.

I'm continually amazed by this, as well. My dumb theory is that people just want to build and be part of communities, and end up over-extending themselves in an attempt to reach out.

When you have some goon who is socially stunted and possibly don't have a great social network, you get people who reach out and try to infuse meaning into the weirdest and dumbest on-line communities, I think, and they end up over-sharing embarrassing, and occasionally absolutely vile stuff, because they ascribe a certain feeling of being at home, safe, or with close friends, to something like a Let's Play or gaming guild community that they feel part of.

SA has a ton of long-stand mini-communities, centered around, I'm guessing, probably hundreds of different gaming guilds alone, and many more mini-communities developed over the years in the re-makes of long-running megathreads. Those communities can develop into genuinely worthwhile resources, with a core of people who care about each other, and who really know their poo poo about fountain pens, or whatever, but they can also develop into horribly insular, weird spaces, and when a community is centered around content that has questionable aspects, you're just that more likely to end up with both weird people joining, and weird communities forming. Like, I'm sure you can play the Atelier games and be a normal person, but there are also going to be people who just really aren't as interested in alchemy and slaying goblins, as they are in sexualizing children.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Really makes you think, huh. Just a speck on a rock floating in space... Playing mm battle network.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I vaguely recall there being a long thread about what would happen if you put a jet on a treadmill that escalated to death threats.

Can I get a tldr or archives link?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I vaguely recall there being a long thread about what would happen if you put a jet on a treadmill that escalated to death threats.

Can I get a tldr or archives link?

I think that has happened more than a few times. Iirc, the "plane on a conveyor belt" was one of a number of recurring, mind-numbingly dull topics that were banned at one point, because they would go completely out of control. Other topics along the same lines were "0.99999999 = 1", and that one "Monty Hall" probability-exercise with gameshow involving 3 doors and a hidden prize.

I don't have archives, but I feel pretty secure in saying that the reason those topics blow up, is because some goons insist and self-identify heavily as being super-smart and logical science-advocates, and really just can't let go of- or accept being wrong when proved to be in a simple exercise, and will rail endlessly against it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Grandmother of Five posted:

I think that has happened more than a few times.

Bless this place.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grandmother of Five posted:

I think that has happened more than a few times. Iirc, the "plane on a conveyor belt" was one of a number of recurring, mind-numbingly dull topics that were banned at one point, because they would go completely out of control. Other topics along the same lines were "0.99999999 = 1", and that one "Monty Hall" probability-exercise with gameshow involving 3 doors and a hidden prize.

I don't have archives, but I feel pretty secure in saying that the reason those topics blow up, is because some goons insist and self-identify heavily as being super-smart and logical science-advocates, and really just can't let go of- or accept being wrong when proved to be in a simple exercise, and will rail endlessly against it.

The all time greatest derail that leads to potential violence: Are hotdogs sandwiches?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

RFC2324 posted:

The all time greatest derail that leads to potential violence: Are hotdogs sandwiches?
Nah. They're the inbread cousin of a sub.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They were called hotdogs before they were even served in buns.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Does anyone have the link the the LF Hitler mustache challenge? I believe it was one of the punishments when LF was in full-time Stalinist mode, or they just did it for fun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Fire Emblem and Spiderman thread were tremendous goddamn. Half the time they don't get hunted down after a slight slip up they just openly post about what they like jacking it to or that they hit someone with their car.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

theflyingexecutive posted:

Does anyone have the link the the LF Hitler mustache challenge? I believe it was one of the punishments when LF was in full-time Stalinist mode, or they just did it for fun.

Was this the one where the guy posted about having to explain to his sobbing wife that he has a hitler moustache because the internet made him do it, and that he was sorry but he had to shave it?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

those usually just get annoying but the ones where people suggest it's ok to put ketchup on a hotdog get brutal

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tipping is my favorite derail.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aesop Poprock posted:

those usually just get annoying but the ones where people suggest it's ok to put ketchup on a hotdog get brutal

Worse than pineapple on pizza?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

took me forever to find it, requires archives https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344407

Selected Excerpts from FSAD's Personal Journey To Hitler Moustache:

Day 1

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Realchat - First Impressions: I told my wife that I wanted to grow a Hitler mustache but I haven't gotten into the details of it yet. She's really not happy about the idea and just keeps saying no. I invoked the basic idea of human freedom and contrasted Western individualism with Oriental collectivism but sadly to no avail. She insists "You will look like a bad man" and "You will make people upset" and *shows her a picture of Hitler mustache* "I will leave you if you grow this mustache"

Day 6

Personal Feelings Journal: I'm actually pretty happy with the way it looks. I've worn fake mustaches before and have always been surprised with how great it looks, lending me a bit of sophistication and a hint of machismo. The Hitler mustache however is completely different. It's a little playful, a little fun. It's a mustache that doesn't hide your smile. At the same time, it's a mustache that can be taken seriously. Smiled and frowned for about 5 minutes at myself in the mirror, pleased with the resulting look of either disarming good cheer or dreadful foreboding.

Hitler Feelings?: Felt a little more annoyed with Chinese people today than usual. Rose-tinted remembrances of a United States governed by the rule of law where people know how to drive, stand in line and deal with conflict without ape-like displays of emotion. Do I want all of these people dead? Not really... yet for some reason wearing the Hitler mustache makes me think about this stuff a lot.

Day 11

I don't know how to deal with this at the moment. All kinds of thoughts are flying through my brain, dealing with some pretty serious confusion/angst. My wife was acting strangely, everything was fine but she seemed nervous and out of place. I finally confronted her about it and she told me, "I feel like I'm going to cry. Why are you growing that mustache?" I tried to play it off as nothing, "It's just a mustache, come on, does it really bother you that I've grown a little mustache?" She wouldn't have it. Her eyes literally were tearing up as she told me stuff like, "You look like a bad man." and "When I look at you now I feel very bad inside, like something is very wrong." I'm not joking, and I'm not exaggerating, this was what it was actually like.

I got a little incensed and told her that if I want to grow a mustache, why can't I? Who cares? She started telling me that "people" would think I looked like an idiot, they would talk about me behind my back, that no one would take me seriously and that my job, our small business, all kinds of things would start falling apart. She was in tears by this point, telling me that she felt like I was showing her a different side of myself she had never seen before. I laughed at this, and said she was being melodramatic, it was just a stupid mustache grown on a joke, but she wouldn't let go of it. She was so upset about it that I got real huffy, and went in and shaved it off right there. "Oh what are you doing, you don't have to do that." she said lamely unconvincingly. "Yes I do, because you literally just made me, so don't pretend that now that I've done it that I didn't have to do it, because a minute ago it was making you cry just to look at me."

We were pretty cold to each other the rest of the day, she'd try to blow past it but I felt like it was a pretty big deal. Could she not let me be me? What's the big deal about a little irreverence? As we left the house later to go run some errands, two guys and a girl on the elevator started talking about me right in front of me, thinking I didn't understand. "Say hello to the white guy, go on, say hello." "Oh no I can't, he will think I am trying to seduce him! Haha!" and then they'd giggle because of course to talk to a foreigner is ridiculous. Finally one said an unconvincing hello and I started saying real loud, "Wow your English is so good! Wow, great English! Did you study in America?? Hello! That's great, just like an American!" I was so upset about the mustache I started lashing out. They looked down at their feet in what I take to be shame, and I started talking in Chinese to my wife just to let them know that I'd understood everything they'd said.

As we left the elevator I told her how upset I was, that here in China, living as a foreigner in this place where there are so few other foreigners, I was used to people staring at me, treating me like a zoo exhibition rather than a real person. But when she started saying, "People will think you look terrible" what she really meant was that she herself thinks this. I told her that no matter what, people are going to think ridiculous things about me, but I expected better of her, thought that at least around her I didn't need to worry about people judging me for how I look rather than who I am. She started crying and I was still angry, so I didn't comfort her. She asked if I hated her, and I told her of course not, don't ever think something like that.

A few days of Hitler mustache caused probably one of the biggest arguments I have ever had with my wife (the other big one was about any future children attending Chinese public school). I... had to shave it off. I wish I didn't but I had to make a choice, and I assure you that she wasn't just annoyed or irked by my peculiarity, she was legitimately freaking out that I was growing this mustache. So I'm out of the contest... I can't do it. I can't put my wife through it, even though I know that morally I'm in the right, I have to make the compromise, I have to think about her.

For those of you still in this competition... you're gonna have to keep going without me. I led the pack at the beginning, I showed you the way. The flame that burns brightest burns fastest, and this shooting star blazed across the world with an unrepentant Hitler mustache... if only for a few days. If you're young... if you're unencumbered by human relationships, by dignity or regular employment, by society's false standards of beauty... please keep going, please make it to the end. Do what I was unable to do. I can't criticize you anymore, I can't lead you anymore. All I can do is tell you to keep going further, delving deeper, finding new ways to own the world and everyone in it. I don't know if I'll ever post on LF again after this. I'm twenty eight years old and married, thinking about how to support my future family. If I can't be all in, I don't want to try. I wish you all the best in life, I loved all of you in my way, I can't be an internet revolutionary anymore, I made a choice to be with this woman and I have to honor my vow. I'm not going to sit on the sidelines, I've got too much dignity. Maybe I'll go back to GBS fakeposting. Maybe I'll just read TVIV threads and count how many times people mention Firefly even though it was cancelled like a decade ago and think about how funny it is but never ever tell anyone. I don't know what the future holds for me but... it's not going to be great and it's not going to be special, and I guess I'm OK with that.

09/13/2010 - Hitler Mustache Forever

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

took me forever to find it, requires archives https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344407

Day 1

Day 6

Day 11

ahahaha

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Day 1

Day 6

Day 11

oh my god I somehow missed this back in the day, this is amazing

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I wish I read LF back in the day for posts like those.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
what the gently caress, i have never heard of that. wow

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The hitler actor thread was real good too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NLJP posted:

The hitler actor thread was real good too

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hitler-auditions/1/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Odddzy posted:

I wish I read LF back in the day for posts like those.

lf was bad and silly stuff like that was the exception

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
It also had some fun diplomacy type games that an LF regular friend of mine convinced me to join. I played France in WW2 and ended up fleeing to Africa after I doublecrossed Germany and got my rear end handed to me in the homeland. I did carve out Africa nicely though. I know jack poo poo about world war history so I dunno if this is wrong or offensive or something. LF was largely stupid.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god drat do i love the hitler auditions

quote:

a shiny red ball comes rolling into the alley where they wait their turn. a girl comes chasing after, pigtails flying in the california breeze. "rosie!" a voice shouts urgently. "leave it! get away from those men!"

her mother glares at them all leaning up against the wall as they are. how dare you be hitler.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

It also had some fun diplomacy type games that an LF regular friend of mine convinced me to join. I played France in WW2 and ended up fleeing to Africa after I doublecrossed Germany and got my rear end handed to me in the homeland. I did carve out Africa nicely though. I know jack poo poo about world war history so I dunno if this is wrong or offensive or something. LF was largely stupid.

I think an entire country moving to Africa would probably throw some wrenches in world diplomacy

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I started with a bunch of French colonies in Africa at the beginning of the game. Maybe it was WW1? Blame France man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I remember reading that thread as it happened and laughing hysterically and I still laugh just as hard now

There's no business like shoah business

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Day 1

Day 6

Day 11

Wasn't this guy also Fish Steer A Dhow, who had big thread where lied about being adopted from Sudan as a child and going home to visit his birth parents, sparking another vitriolic GBS race debate?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yep. Think it was called growing up black on the internet

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

quote:

If getting paid fifty bucks plus travel to jump out of a kid's bedroom closet and scare him into going to his bar mitzvah the next day is wrong, I can't afford to be right

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Day 1

Day 6

Day 11

lol I forgot u "participated". Thanks for finding it' I'd been looking for it for years

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

lol I forgot u "participated". Thanks for finding it' I'd been looking for it for years

Haha I forgot I did too. Good news, I'm still ugly and still have a bald-rear end philtrum.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mousepractice posted:

Wasn't this guy also Fish Steer A Dhow, who had big thread where lied about being adopted from Sudan as a child and going home to visit his birth parents, sparking another vitriolic GBS race debate?

Gee, a guy who grew the ugliest pubestache ever to look like a Nazi on the internet also made a convoluted lie of a thread founded on racism? :thunk:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Jose stuck in Miami is becoming a saga right now in the Irma threads :munch:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Link? That's a lot of ground to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Link? That's a lot of ground to cover.

It's throughout the main Irma threads, been going on for days, hes British, went to Miami for a wedding, waited too long to leave, then flights cancelled, he's posting in cspam Hurricane 2017 and GBS Irma threads.

He may try to drive away now, but traffic is hosed, I dunno. He's on the 7th floor right by the water in Miami. :munch: