Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

One can imagine their design team lacks direction and is given constant conflicting demands that result in weird delays and poo poo being released that shouldn't.

For this particular patch I imagine the developers got a laundry list of poo poo to implement, cards to nerf, factions to completely redesign, golds suddenly need to no longer be immune etc. Except naturally not all at once, you'd probably be mostly done with one change, when suddenly priority shifted to implementing a completely new crazy demand from the top. And then after the Gamescom tournament wrapped up and the stupid ban on game changes lifted some BigWig appeared in the department and demanded that everything currently on the PTR be patched into the main game immediately because the entire fanbase wanted to kill themselves from Dagon matches.

Really it seems like they need someone with a solid vision and ability to make plans and set deadlines. From a balance perspective the game just needs more frequent and conservative hotfix tweaks to cards that are way out of norm instead of 2 months of Dagon followed by a hundred crazy unrefined changes dropping at once.

I just think that the team couldn't cope with doing a SP campaign, new cards cards for S2 and S3, working on a new game mode, apparently doing an engine upgrade, setting up an esport calendar, doing balance, and on top rework a major core game play feature. More than direction, the patch needed another week or two in internal testing, which I guess ended up happening, but live.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Anyone know a good net deck to follow for a good long ship/ greatsword combo deck?

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/29464-highlander

Some similar lists have have been doing the rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Electronico6 posted:

That was because a few weeks after OB started it was nerfed, and we got Bearmageddon.

that was because 25% of every deck was designed to counter rnr specifically

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

I just think that the team couldn't cope with doing a SP campaign, new cards cards for S2 and S3, working on a new game mode, apparently doing an engine upgrade, setting up an esport calendar, doing balance, and on top rework a major core game play feature. More than direction, the patch needed another week or two in internal testing, which I guess ended up happening, but live.

They're also [mis/under]using the PTR. Changes are there only for a few days before going live, and from what I've heard, balance feedback is more or less completely ignored. All the OP poo poo in recent patches were found and reported in the PTR and not acted on.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 2, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
drat, that NR armor deck is nasty. I'm considering adding in Artifact Compression just to stop Trollololo. A Shani res of him in round 3 is just brutal.

I don't want to see it over-nerfed because armor is a pretty cool and unique concept, but at the moment there aren't many tools to manage the Trollololo armor factory and heavy cavalry harvest.

Double Bill posted:

They're also [mis/under]using the PTR. Changes are there only for a few days before going live, and from what I've heard, balance feedback is more or less completely ignored. All the OP poo poo in recent patches were found and reported in the PTR and not acted on.

PTR and how it tied into this patch was a huge fuckup on their part. On the one hand it sounds like they weren't using it for its intended purpose as they weren't really paying attention to feedback on overtuned cards and decks. On the other hand if they're going to push the competitive e-tournament angle, it's inherently unfair to give only certain players early access to these cards and decks while keeping them under wraps to the general community until launch. They've acknowledged their mistake in that regard though and announced they plan to make the PTR more open in the future.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Here's my big dick skirmisher deck I'm running. Operator and Birna Bran are the only cards I'm not sure of. Leader is Crach an Craite.

I always thought Crach an Craite pulled based off of base power, but no he'll grab captains so you can make gigantic swings when Lugos elbow drops someone for 12+ with a Skirmisher and then Crach an Craite rips a 16+ captain out of your deck for you. Back to back 20 power plays are real good and strong.

There's probably a more optimal way to build the list without the veterans so you can play stronger in round 1 but it's done well enough for me.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Huh, I had no clue Crach worked that way either. This game really isn't as clear about these things as it should be. They need to bring in one of those super anal mtg editors.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

also most anything else I try with Skellige just gets windmill slammed by hailstorm after mulligan finishes moving the few non-agile skellige units into the melee row with everything else. feels bad, man.

hailstorm could probably stand to be weaker since it naturally benefit from everything getting like, 25% stronger after patch.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've been putting Hailstorm into all of my decks since the patch and it's hardly ever a dead draw.

I built my first monsters deck this weekend, a frosty Eredin with all the wild hunt units. It's not a good deck (its most notable weakness being it has exactly one non-reactive play so going first sucks) but I did learn a lot about deck building, and it got me wondering whether it's possible to make a good deck that doesn't follow the typical pattern of All-in R1/Open pass R2/Drop a Bomb R3.

The only enemy Eredin I faced in 20 or so games destroyed me. He kind of got lucky in R1 dropping two Ice Giants that triggered off my own frost, but he had Drowners and the Crones and was able to make generally higher impact plays. I get the impression monsters aren't in a good place at the moment, but has anyone had success with weather or Eredin? I'd try consume but I don't have the golds for it.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
going all wild hunt cards is mostly bad because the large majority of them are bad

that sort of deck also lacks any sort of finisher so yeah

wild hunt still needs a few more cards before it actually becomes a thing

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah Hailstorm was basically my finisher stand-in most games. I've been ranking up with Radovid Armor but I kind of want to try SK boats for my next side project. I've played against it with a few different decks and it feels pretty hard to stop its engine with all the resets, strengthens and priestesses.

Unrelated rules trivia : was watching MegaMogwai's stream earlier today and apparently if you play a weaken effect on a 1-strength unit it becomes 0 and gets banished. The card in question was Kambi...

Edit : Not specifically 1-strength, I think it's just if it becomes zero. Situation was playing Regis on Kambi.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

I've been putting Hailstorm into all of my decks since the patch and it's hardly ever a dead draw.

I built my first monsters deck this weekend, a frosty Eredin with all the wild hunt units. It's not a good deck (its most notable weakness being it has exactly one non-reactive play so going first sucks) but I did learn a lot about deck building, and it got me wondering whether it's possible to make a good deck that doesn't follow the typical pattern of All-in R1/Open pass R2/Drop a Bomb R3.

The only enemy Eredin I faced in 20 or so games destroyed me. He kind of got lucky in R1 dropping two Ice Giants that triggered off my own frost, but he had Drowners and the Crones and was able to make generally higher impact plays. I get the impression monsters aren't in a good place at the moment, but has anyone had success with weather or Eredin? I'd try consume but I don't have the golds for it.

I've had a lot of success with this one though I've not climbed all that far yet this season. Succubus and drowners are MVPs and using Eskel on your frightener is always fun.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Did Succubus get changed in the patch? I've only seen it played a few times against me so I don't remember if it always worked that way. Seems like a Villentretenmerth play where you play it late in R3 since it would attract all the hate in the world.

Eskel seems real good. I mean, I've only been on the receiving end but it's a pretty good way to deal with big threats like Trollololo.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

Did Succubus get changed in the patch? I've only seen it played a few times against me so I don't remember if it always worked that way. Seems like a Villentretenmerth play where you play it late in R3 since it would attract all the hate in the world.

Eskel seems real good. I mean, I've only been on the receiving end but it's a pretty good way to deal with big threats like Trollololo.

Yeah it got changed, used to be a spy unit. Now it's always at least 4 points.

I've found it pretty easy to go into round 3 at least one card up between my carryover and depressing fog / drowner / hailstorm stuff, making it very hard for the opponent to anticipate/respond to the succubus. Tibor's always my favourite steal.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Kalko posted:

Yeah Hailstorm was basically my finisher stand-in most games. I've been ranking up with Radovid Armor but I kind of want to try SK boats for my next side project. I've played against it with a few different decks and it feels pretty hard to stop its engine with all the resets, strengthens and priestesses.

Unrelated rules trivia : was watching MegaMogwai's stream earlier today and apparently if you play a weaken effect on a 1-strength unit it becomes 0 and gets banished. The card in question was Kambi...

Edit : Not specifically 1-strength, I think it's just if it becomes zero. Situation was playing Regis on Kambi.

Yep, back when everyone was playing monsters this was the best way to deal with their Nekkers (3 base strength previously), resetting them down to zero would banish them and not trigger their deathwish to spawn another.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone have some advice to give me to improve my longships/greatswords combo engine deck? It was working great up until my current rank where all I see is drowners and mulligan elves. I was doing really good against some of them despite them moving my units around all the time but I just couldn't edge out some of those games.

http://gwentify.com/decks/greatswords-and-longships/

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hotfix is out it seems.

Patch notes here:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/7801/gwent-the-witcher-card-game-hotfix-is-now-live

Neutral/General

Summoning Circle has gained the following Category tags: Doomed
Stammelford's Tremmors will now summon a Lesser Guardian instead of an Earth Elemental.
Iris' ability has changed. It is now: Deathwish: Boost 5 random Units on the other side of the Board by 5.

Skellige

Tuirseach Veteran will now also trigger the Veteran abilities of other Tuirseach Veterans.
An Enemy moved by the Whale Harpooner will now be Damaged by the number of all Units, including itself, on the row it moved to.
Clan Tuirseach Axeman Power changed from 3 to 4.
Herbalist Power changed from 1 to 2.
Kambi loyalty changed from Loyal to Disloyal.
Kambi will now spawn Hemdall on its side of the Board.
Harald the Cripple will now Damage by 2 instead of by 1 on Deploy.
Harald the Cripple Power changed from 6 to 5.

Scoia'tael

Sage will now Banish the card it Resurrects.
Farseer will no longer Boost self when Units in your Deck are Boosted.
Morenn Power changed from 8 to 7.
Dwarven Agitator Power changed from 3 to 2.
Elven Wardancer Power changed from 4 to 3.
Vrihedd Officer will now Boost self by the base Power of the card from your Hand you Mulligan, not the card you Draw.
Vrihedd Officer Power changed from 6 to 4.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 5, 2017

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
CDPR always go completely overboard with their nerfs and buffs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Which besides tremors is overboard? Most of the others look like 1 point changes.

Kambi change is very strange though tbh because you can rain your own kambi now.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Seems pretty even handed to me. This hotfix is mostly just stuff that should have been in the patch before release.

Two notable absences though: trololo and hailstorm. Trololo grows too fast and has a super high base strength for how strong his effect is. Hailstorm is just broken now that it hits everything, a good portion of my games come down to which player drew their hailstorm. Maybe they should cap it like bekkers.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Seems like pretty reasonable changes. Poor Kambi though, back to being unplayable. I know a lot of people hate Kambi and all it represents, but eating it with a bear didn't seem that overpowered: it required pretty specific cards to pull off, still left you at a slight point disadvantage after the board reset and could be stopped with a lock.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Seems like pretty reasonable changes. Poor Kambi though, back to being unplayable. I know a lot of people hate Kambi and all it represents, but eating it with a bear didn't seem that overpowered: it required pretty specific cards to pull off, still left you at a slight point disadvantage after the board reset and could be stopped with a lock.

Am I missing something? It's only a 1 point increase in total power for Kambi+Hemdall, and killing a unit on the other side of the board is, if anything, even easier. Especially if you have a savage bear out.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Am I missing something? It's only a 1 point increase in total power for Kambi+Hemdall, and killing a unit on the other side of the board is, if anything, even easier. Especially if you have a savage bear out.

The old/new combo was to use a Bloodcurdling Roar on Kambi (since it was on your side of the board). This would give you an 11 strength bear from eating the Kambi after the board reset. It was still less value than Hemdall, but it was very close.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

oh CDPR, the Hotfix notes in game are from the July 5 hotfix.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But in this case you can play and kill Kambi with savage bear/rain without even giving a chance to lock and then play any card behind it. Idk this seems a lot better in every case when you swap bear out for any high str card.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

An Enemy moved by the Whale Harpooner will now be Damaged by the number of all Units, including itself, on the row it moved to.

Whale harpooners are going to be ridiculous calling it now.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the change, this is essentially +1 damage to the enemy moved by Whale Harpooner. Previously it was damaged by the number of other units on the row it moved to.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Comp-U-poo poo posted:

Whale harpooners are going to be ridiculous calling it now.
Agreed. One of the best bronzes in the game now that has extreme synergy with itself as well as axemen. Get your gold weathers out.

EDIT: Oh I didn't realize this is almost what harpooners did already my b. Should play more skellige.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

No Wave posted:

But in this case you can play and kill Kambi with savage bear/rain without even giving a chance to lock and then play any card behind it. Idk this seems a lot better in every case when you swap bear out for any high str card.

You're still left with a board where you're down 15 points though. That's a huge gap to make up.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008

FlyFishinInnuendo posted:

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the change, this is essentially +1 damage to the enemy moved by Whale Harpooner. Previously it was damaged by the number of other units on the row it moved to.

The way I'm reading the change is that it counting the units on both sides of the board, where as before it was only your opponent. If it's just the +1 strength boost that's still a pretty good buff for them.

Edit: Just tested it. Its only a +1 buff, but now they're not strictly worse than drowners at least.

Comp-U-Shit fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 5, 2017

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
That makes sense. Guess I'll have to test it!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

With the death of ST's extreme tempo openers, SK should fare better, especially with the buffs. Time to play some double gold weather axemen harpooners :getin:

Problem is now of course that NR is probably gonna rule the meta. Also surprised they didn't hit Hailstorm with a nerf or cap it at -25 points, like they did with so many other silvers recently.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

SK can still Zoltan Chivay your biggest units into a god-tier Marigold's Hailstorm, so I wouldn't write them off quite yet.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

SK can still Zoltan Chivay your biggest units into a god-tier Marigold's Hailstorm, so I wouldn't write them off quite yet.

I started running the dude the kills ambush units and it's worked so well against ST because they only run 2 or 3. I throw out a raging berserker to get out Moreen then gain a 12 for getting hit lol. Then whip him out to kill off that stupid finisher card when they pass to beat them.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Meta looks much better after the hotfix, we'll see what happens when it's stable.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

dagon consume is real dang popular all of a sudden. I guess petrify/lifecoach/swim are to blame?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My copy of the Gwent art book arrived today and there's a bunch of future designs/rejected designs in here that look amazing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Flipswitch posted:

My copy of the Gwent art book arrived today and there's a bunch of future designs/rejected designs in here that look amazing.

well don't leave us hanging!!!!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sick. That's dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'll take some better pics at some point but the detail on the print is quality, theres a poo poo ton of stuff on these that don't quite show up on the cards