Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PittTheElder posted:

This argument is literally "I am spending $3,600/mo on candles, why can't I balance my budget".

That Nova Scotia doctor who posted a detailed summary of his income and expenses had an aftertax income of 175k, but still took the time to complain about having to spend $5k to buy health insurance because he's self-employed. I know a ton of people who do the same thing without making anywhere near that amount of money, it's not a hardship.

It is when you need a luxury car, atv, skidoo, and a cottage. Check your priv

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

James Baud posted:

Oh yeah, interest exists. I forgot. ;)

I bet your a cga

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PittTheElder posted:

This argument is literally "I am spending $3,600/mo on candles, why can't I balance my budget".

That Nova Scotia doctor who posted a detailed summary of his income and expenses had an aftertax income of 175k, but still took the time to complain about having to spend $5k to buy health insurance because he's self-employed. I know a ton of people who do the same thing without making anywhere near that amount of money, it's not a hardship.
Literally every listed hardship is experienced by some other group of Canadians who make the median income.

High student debt, low income? Veterinarians

High training opportunity cost, low income? PhDs

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

namaste faggots posted:

I bet your a cga

ACTUALLY its a CPA now

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Doctors are right to be pissed. The provinces gave them the power to incorporate in lieu of fee increases. It wasn't a loophole for them, it's encouraged. Morneau is right though, that's a silly way to calculate compensation but just yanking the rug out without any considerations for that seems harsh. On the plus side, it's psychologically terrible to have something taken away so the doctors will be pissed for a while and I always get a kick out of that.

A provincial decision that cost the Federal government revenue, gotta rip the band-aid off at some point.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

James Baud posted:

15% flat credit on tuition paid, the other 85 and the amount that went to living expenses for the extra few years is all on you.
So again, literally the same boat as everyone else except they make double or more what the next guy does once they are subject to these tax changes

Queue loving queue

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If we are serious about redistributing income downward then people in the professional classes are necessarily going to lose some of their income. That has to be a feature of any decent taxation scheme, not a bug.

Unless you want to start hypothesizing about a massive increase in growth rates then the only way to truly raise the living standards of the 90% or so of income earners who have been treading water is to reduce the income going to the other 10%. You can soften the blow by letting those 10 percenters participate in the same expanded government programs as everyone else.

James Baud posted:

Eh, make it fairer by taxing household income for everyone, not just the incorporated and you remove all the otherwise unnecessary tax planning complexity from a lot of people's situations and benefit those who don't make enough to have that kind of advice.

(Incorporation still good for income smoothing, but arguably some sort of averaging across years is good for "people", too, because that eliminates benefits/penalties from all sorts of other marked instability.)

Raise rates at the middle to higher end as required and keep chopping at structures and schemes to render them unnecessary as soon as the CRA loses cases on them in court.

If, you know, you want to be egalitarian and not just jump on things once they're too popular.

If we want to be egalitarian then we need to abandon our governments wasteful and inefficient obsession with using tax credits instead of direct spending. Directly providing services that are too individually expensive - better transport options, more extensive healthcare coverage, educational and afterschool programs for kids, cheaper telecommunications, pharmacare, etc. - are a vastly superior option to more tax credits. And somebody has to pay for that expansion and it's reasonable we ask the 10% or so of top income earners to shoulder a part of the burden that is commensurate to the gains they have made in the last few decades.

The big shift away from universal re-distributive social programs and their replacement with all kinds of byzantine tax credits and shelters is just a way of enabling baby boomer fantasies of independence. Each of these credits is a way of rewarding or punishing certain groups and redistributing income so we might as well do it in an efficient and transparent manner. Ending our reliance on tax credits as a substitute for a lot of direct spending will have the added bonus of bringing our collective dependence on government back into clear focus.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

cowofwar posted:

Literally every listed hardship is experienced by some other group of Canadians who make the median income.

Agreed.

This idea that only MDs spent a whole lot of time honing skills and knowledge is alive and well in the government where medical officers get the cushy salaries and additional vacation weeks whereas scientists start their careers at comparatively low wages (barely above admin jobs) and 3 weeks vacation.

PIPSC is a useless union and Canadians sadly don't care about science as much as bridge tolls or sex ed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also assuming med school debt is anything like regular student debt, Canadian tax law already allows a huge tax break to help you pay it back, in that you can write off the cost of your education once you're making income. For me that meant by the end of my MA I had something like $30-40k banked with the CRA because that's how much the total tuition of my BA and MA added up to, minus income I had been making during school that I had been writing off as I went. The first year I had a real job and made a significant income, I used the tuition credits I had banked to write off my entire annual income, meaning my income came out to zero dollars and I got a huge tax return because the deductions off my paycheque for the year was several thousand dollars, all of which I got back. Just for having been a student, not even for having debt, since I had already paid off my student loans.

If you had a couple hundred grand in student debt, that means you were paying a couple hundred grand in tuition which means the CRA will let you write off years of income (assuming the stories about residents not getting paid much are true) and work tax-free until you've made income equivalent to the cost of your school tuition. And if you're more ambitious than I was and expect to be making a six-figure salary within a few years like most doctors, you could keep banking your tuition credits until you can use them to pay off higher-tax-bracket marginal income each year, saving you even more. Somehow this isn't enough for doctors and their high tuition fees.

I'm with Helsing, raising taxes on upper-middle-class and lower-upper-class professionals and managers is a feature, not a bug. Under a better government that money would be being reinvested in programs and infrastructure that those people would also benefit from, but this is the Liberals so they'll probably be spent on boutique tax credits for hockey gear and selfie sticks instead.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Albino Squirrel, how badly will Morneau poop on your GP practice? Your marginal rate is going to the moon

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

Also assuming med school debt is anything like regular student debt, Canadian tax law already allows a huge tax break to help you pay it back, in that you can write off the cost of your education once you're making income. For me that meant by the end of my MA I had something like $30-40k banked with the CRA because that's how much the total tuition of my BA and MA added up to, minus income I had been making during school that I had been writing off as I went. The first year I had a real job and made a significant income, I used the tuition credits I had banked to write off my entire annual income, meaning my income came out to zero dollars and I got a huge tax return because the deductions off my paycheque for the year was several thousand dollars, all of which I got back. Just for having been a student, not even for having debt, since I had already paid off my student loans.

If you had a couple hundred grand in student debt, that means you were paying a couple hundred grand in tuition which means the CRA will let you write off years of income (assuming the stories about residents not getting paid much are true) and work tax-free until you've made income equivalent to the cost of your school tuition. And if you're more ambitious than I was and expect to be making a six-figure salary within a few years like most doctors, you could keep banking your tuition credits until you can use them to pay off higher-tax-bracket marginal income each year, saving you even more. Somehow this isn't enough for doctors and their high tuition fees.

I'm with Helsing, raising taxes on upper-middle-class and lower-upper-class professionals and managers is a feature, not a bug. Under a better government that money would be being reinvested in programs and infrastructure that those people would also benefit from, but this is the Liberals so they'll probably be spent on boutique tax credits for hockey gear and selfie sticks instead.

Thought they got rid of tuition tax credits.

I had a ton though.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

cowofwar posted:

I had a ton though.

Mine carried forward until last year. I graduated 8 years ago.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I had a ton though.

Yeah I think they got rid of them this year, dunno what happens to the remaining carried over.

Still any established doctors currently complaining about their student loan debt will have had a chance to make use of it so

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

that mall is a loving joke

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/AJWVictoriaBC/status/905581019490729984

holy poo poo this loving list is insane

quote:

65 policy ideas

Public Sector

1. Continue to balance the provincial budget, and pay down taxpayer-supported debt.

2. Complete the Site C dam.

3. Build a bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel.

4. Support and see the completion of the twinning of the TransMountain pipeline.

5. Stand up to public sector unions in order to control the cost of government.

6. Pursue other resource development opportunities in areas such as mining and agriculture.

7. Oppose proportional representation and MLAs designated by backroom Party officials, and support stable government with accountable, local MLAs.

1-4: waste tens of billions of loving dollars on bullshit we don't need
5: its those drat unions fault we're out of money!

quote:

Economy

1. Commission an expert study, to report within six months, on a phased reduction/abolition of the corporate tax, replacing that revenue with increased economic and job growth. :roflolmao:

Crime and addictions

2. Legislate the goal of the Ministry of Health, and all provincial health authorities, to ‘cure addictions to drugs and alcohol’ rather than ‘helping addicts live positive lives.’

3. While continuing to save lives, emphasize and fund detox and long-term residential treatment programs (6-12 months, repeatable) leading to freedom from drugs/alcohol, rather than the long-term maintenance of habits at grave threat to human life and enormous public expense. Set a goal to treat 5,000 people at any one time.

4. Empower NGOs presently offering long-term treatment for addiction under the Assisted Living Act by providing more daily funding, creating a professional association to set standards, and following up with rigorous inspections to push out bad actors.

5. Under the Mental Health Act, commit prolific offenders addicted to drugs or alcohol to approved long-term recovery-based residential drug/alcohol treatment programs, where naltrexone can be administered daily to block cravings. Do the same for prolific offenders already in provincial custodial facilities.

yep just round em all up and put em in residential sch- i mean treatment programs, this is both legal and effective and definitely not going to have any adverse societal consequences. also make sure to farm it out to the ~private sector~

quote:

Health care

1. Task a commission to examine the best health care systems in the world and make recommendations to emulate the best of the best – with everything on the table.

2. Pursue opportunities to contract out more health services to private entities at public expense, while increasing regulatory oversight and reporting requirements for them.

Environment

1. BC’s climate is changing. We can’t stop that, so emphasize adaptation to climate change and pollution reduction in BC over attempts to change global climate.

Education

1. While continuing to fully fund K-12 education, increase support for independent schools to provide more choice for parents, and greater competition for our public system.

2. Build modular K-12 schools with units that can be dismantled and moved to respond more quickly to demographic change, and multistory schools needing less land.

3. Require the creation of co-op education programs in every BC college and university, so that students can work their way through school without student debt.

this is not some hilarious satire of BC libs btw, this is what they actually believe

quote:

Homelessness

1. Fund the continuum of emergency aid, shelter beds, residential addictions treatment, and affordable housing.

2. Take a province-wide approach to homelessness, including re-institutionalization of homeless with severe mental health conditions, and the creation of a province-wide registry for homeless people in order to locate and offer services and housing to them while not duplicating efforts between cities and regions. Make this information available to police.

Housing affordability

1. Provide more affordable housing in lower-cost areas of BC rather than in the GVRD, to maximize the number of low-income people who can receive assistance.

Urban housing crisis? Just force those poors even further out. Simple! Powell River needs more young people anyway

quote:

Agriculture

1. Enact provincial legislation to protect home buyers, and to empower municipalities to protect rural communities, landlords, and urban neighbourhoods from problems associated with marijuana grow-ops.

2. Keep our supply-management system strong, while seeking out export opportunities to non-WTO/GATT countries.

4. Farming is always more efficient and productive than hunting. Apply this model to the logging industry, providing incentives to adopt a model of farming trees instead of hunting for them. :psyduck:

Social issues

1. Ensure that financial options exist for parents who prefer private childcare arrangements over licensed childcare.

2. Commission an expert group to create a policy that would counteract societal aging by providing stable two-parent families with the assistance they need to have the number of children they would like.

5. Commit to pluralism and tolerance in BC, including the human rights, tolerance and full participation in society of people of good conscience who may disagree with changing sexual mores and concepts of gender.

Tourism

2. Shape a mountain to create a globally-significant sculpture funded by the sale of stone removed, and use some of it to build public structures across BC that will last for 500 years. :psyboom:

Other miscellaneous

1. Provide more help for those who want to represent themselves in court, rather than spending ever-increasing amounts on legal aid. Educate judges to become more helpful in this regard.

you know what BC needs? our very own Rushmore. It'll create jobs! also poors just need to bootstrap their way into legal representation, I'm sick of paying for free stuff :bahgawd:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 7, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That list just kept on going. That's amazing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Remember this rear end in a top hat was telling people they don't deserve to live in Vancouver if they're poor and should move to chilliwack

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lol gently caress BC

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/pierrepoilievre/status/905810002639716355

lol this motherfucker

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

2. Shape a mountain to create a globally-significant sculpture funded by the sale of stone removed, and use some of it to build public structures across BC that will last for 500 years.

what the gently caress does this even mean and also how much does this man think people will pay for stone???

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

quote:

1. While continuing to fully fund K-12 education, increase support for independent schools to provide more choice for parents, and greater competition for our public system.

In what hosed up bizarro world is even remotely a desirable goal?

Libertarians are the absolute worst.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

you could keep banking your tuition credits until you can use them to pay off higher-tax-bracket marginal income each year, saving you even more.

Tuition credits are only worth 15% (or whatever the lowest tax bracket happens to be in the future) of their 'face value' in reducing taxes paid, regardless of your tax bracket.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Make a graph of their lifetime after tax earnings, plot it against some other career. Let me know

In fairness doctors have a really lovely income progression relative to just about every other profession. Huge debt/awful hours throughout your 20s, hopefully climb out of debt by your mid 30s (when you promptly decide to have kids/buy a house, plunging you back into debt), good-to-great money afterwards as long as you don't set money on fire trying to keep up with the Joneses. If you're lucky you break even with other successful professionals in your late 40s/early 50s and everything after that is gravy. The overall money is good but the 'utility' is significantly less so.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 7, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao I can't see them ever winning an election with this poo poo as a platform

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

blah_blah posted:

Tuition credits are only worth 15% (or whatever the lowest tax bracket happens to be in the future) of their 'face value' in reducing taxes paid, regardless of your tax bracket.

In fairness doctors have a really lovely income progression relative to just about every other profession. Huge debt/awful hours throughout your 20s, hopefully climb out of debt by your mid 30s (when you promptly decide to have kids/buy a house, plunging you back into debt), good-to-great money afterwards as long as you don't set money on fire trying to keep up with the Joneses. If you're lucky you break even with other successful professionals in your late 40s/early 50s and everything after that is gravy. The overall money is good but the 'utility' is significantly less so.

Please quantify what you consider huge debt. In Canadian programs you get very agreeable LoC's from Canadian banks where you write the interest off.

First it was Trudeau with middle class 50-200k, now people are saying 175k gross salary (GP from that article and not a hospital specialist) is not in the good money territory.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

James Baud posted:

The utility of 175k is overstated. You pay twice as much total tax on 175k (40k+) as you do 130k (20k) because you've run out of credits and the marginal rates are high.

Which is meaningless, your take home is still higher. Do you turn down raises or overtime because of the effects of progressive taxation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

Which is meaningless, your take home is still higher.

Honestly, these conversations would probably be more coherent if people just talked about net income.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 26, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Insufficient doctor access is because of the professional associations that govern the intake numbers for doctors, not the fee schedules or their choice to work less hours.

e: let me explain it in simpler terms, this is the taxi medallion problem but with doctors

Subjunctive posted:

Honestly, these conversations would probably be more coherent if people just talked about net income.

But you would leave out individual situations afforded by our convoluted tax code. My incorporated net income was significantly higher than my current employee net income due to deductions like home-use or depreciated capital costs.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i like his idea for a freeway from pemberton to harrison lake. lots of people in pemberton like to go to lakes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

The utility of 175k is overstated. You pay twice as much total tax on 175k (40k+) as you do 130k (20k) because you've run out of credits and the marginal rates are high.

Oh noooo, only $135k after tax income, however do they survive? :qq:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 26, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Risky Bisquick posted:

Insufficient doctor access is because of the professional associations that govern the intake numbers for doctors, not the fee schedules or their choice to work less hours.

open up canadian residencies to non canadians. they're more likely to stay and practice in canada

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

"No actually insufficient doctor access is because of increasing numbers of female doctors who don't want to work the long hours that men used to so you have these frigging women splitting practices and taking up med school spots and 3 graduate but you only get one doctor" - Ikantski's mom.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

James Baud posted:

Sure, that's true enough, but it's not very likely we'll go for the Cuba doctor solution, which more recently includes banning them all from ever leaving the country for fear they won't come back.

lmao

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean

It means you'll get to wake up every day to watch the sun rise over a 500m bust of Christy Clark smirking down at Vancouver.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/NatalieClancy/status/905762681025646592

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/905873111505149953

https://twitter.com/KBBenning/status/905873873366695937

lolll

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

Since we're talking about it anyway, by some coincidence a CPA just called me up and spent half an hour bitching about "tax policy changes proposed by left wing academics who have no idea how small businesses actually work in practice" and bemoaning the consultation process being 75 days, mostly in summer, when the last time changes like this happened, consultation was four years.

Main takeaways: concern about retained earnings drawdowns for people already retired and stuck in their boat, vs, say, senior pension splitting ... And that the few grand from spousal splitting is a much bigger deal to small-time incorporated folks' finances and ability to stay afloat than I make of it. Attack on middle class, not rich, after shying away from things like options that really could target just the wealthy quite easily. Also that Morneau has said a few things that indicate he has no idea what parts of the draft legislation will mean, but details forgotten.

(CPA thinks university student income splitting better addressed by moving related party age to 24 than "everyone")

How did these people survive without income splitting before 2015?