Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

CIG are in a unique position where they spend half a decade and unheard of amounts of other peoples money to make absolutely zero of worth
In this way they are breaking new ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0&t=596s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

"Lean against a rock or something."

Honestly I got so much enjoyment from reading the MREs that it's probably borderline crazy. But really I was glad I could laugh at something in that period.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Wait, "reading" the MREs? Is there something to read on MREs?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

AP posted:

The Force Awakens at Side

Dec 2015
With many long time Star Wars fans among the staff at Side we were overjoyed to work on the new Disney Infinity 3.0 play set, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The popular toys-to-life game already has levels and characters based on the older films: The Twilight of the Republic play set covers the Clone Wars era, and Rise Against the Empire retells the story of Luke, Leia, and Han Solo. In The Force Awakens add-on players control newcomers Finn, Rey, Poe Dameron, and Kylo Ren.

Side provided voice recording sevices for leads Daisy Ridley as Rey and John Boyega as Finn, as well as returning favourites to the series including Anthony Daniels as C3PO.

:gary:
Toys R Us has the Infinity 3.0 at 50% off the $19.95 price tag. Tried to get it for the daughter only to be told she hates Star Wars. Massive My Little Pony Movie standee right next to the Infinity stuff, "Dad, when will you get me that movie?" I guess it could be worse--she could have told Star Citizen wasn't a scam.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Polish Avenger posted:

Ah, the old Jim Gaffigan's "instructions for a Hot Pocket?" routine.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Polish Avenger posted:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Absolutely, those 400 carbon dioxide ppm in the athmosphere are a completely natural phenomenon that the planet goes trough all by itself. No industrial revolution at work here.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/28/the-world-passes-400ppm-carbon-dioxide-threshold-permanently

I think you miss the point, how high was it during the cretaceous period? Estimates were about 1000-1400ppm if I remember my history lessons, yet the world kept on spinning, life was abundant and diverse. I don't think the various lifeforms around at that point had much in the way of heavy industry.

Anyway, carry on trying to "save the planet" if ya like, we all know the planet will adapt better and faster than we will.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 7, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

HycoCam posted:

Toys R Us has the Infinity 3.0 at 50% off the $19.95 price tag. Tried to get it for the daughter only to be told she hates Star Wars. Massive My Little Pony Movie standee right next to the Infinity stuff, "Dad, when will you get me that movie?" I guess it could be worse--she could have told Star Citizen wasn't a scam.

At least it was your daughter asking and not your 34 year old son that still lives at home.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Polish Avenger posted:

The directions on how to prepare them are seemingly written by somebody who barely knows how to write directions.

It's like two guys said:
1: So uh how do we cook this stuff?
2: I don't know. I guess you probably want to do this.
1: Got it.. anything else?
2: I don't know. I guess this or something? Maybe put it on like a rock or something? I don't know. Did you write all this down?
1: Yep! Lets print it!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Also for all the people in the path of the hurricane or any hurricane in the future, and you just think you can tough it out: had I stayed in my house I'd be totally dead right now. And I was like a half mile inland away from the ocean.

I hope all you people plan accordingly because it may be inconvenient to leave, but it'd be more inconvenient to be dead.

:corsair:
When I was a kid, we took a direct hit from Hurricane Frederic (79). Lived in a mobile home in lower Alabama, and couldn't afford to leave the area and my dad thought it was no big deal anyway. 2+ weeks without power or water (and eventually food ran low). Resorted to purifying water with bleach and thankful for a bologna sandwich from the Salvation Army relief trailer.

I learned my lesson, and hope no one else has to learn the same way I did.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

At least it was your daughter asking and not your 34 year old son that still lives at home.

Yeah she's only 29

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

Absolutely, those 400 carbon dioxide ppm in the athmosphere are a completely natural phenomenon that the planet goes trough all by itself. No industrial revolution at work here.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/28/the-world-passes-400ppm-carbon-dioxide-threshold-permanently

As he says, there are some weird people in the world. The completely natural liberation of CO2 from fossilized plants was _bound_ to happen once a hot enough meteor hit enough coal seams.

I'm skeptical of the entire remediation effort so far because it's a field that gets muddied by the bullshit 'welp, nothing we can do' crowd on multiple levels of society, but I tend not to engage them because their ignorance is not my problem. I make my plans and work on my risk assessments, which mean that I'll be getting out of Florida for good within the decade, hopefully selling high to some loving idiot that thinks that the current CO2 levels are a natural cycle.

Might be worth reading about the relative history of Venus to understand what can happen with a chemical cascade following high temperatures. Anyone that's attempted to maintain a relatively small balanced environment - like say an aquarium - knows there's a complex interplay of things that can absolutely gently caress whatever balance you might be trying to achieve. This even happens in the wild when we have fishkills and red tides, but don't you worry, the apex predator will figure out a way, once we've gotten over the whole confusion of the lightly invested.

Seriously, very basic thermodynamics, get a box, cover one end in glass, shine a light, and the box heats up. The wavelength of light is changed on the way in and becomes redder; this is literally the greenhouse effect. A few things act like the glass - CO2, Methane, water vapour - the latter is more a forcing because enough water vapor also stops heating. CO2 is the one we've been producing in industrial amounts since the 1970s; Methane is the thing locked up in the melting tundra and permafrost in Siberia.

It's happening, and it's possible to moderate it to preserve life on earth. Oh, Hav, that's just hyperbole. No, life on earth requires a fairly narrow band of temperatures to survive - you can bang on about Dinosaurs needing more CO2, but we don't have a lot of them around because their environment changed in a couple of decades due to the KT boundary event. We've seen global temperatures rise by nearly two degrees IN MY LIFETIME.

And we're not even really slowing the production of CO2, Methane is being liberated (and undercounted - the gas escape a couple of years back put a _percentage_ of global methane into the atmosphere) and I still read people minimizing how bad this poo poo can get while I'm sitting in the path of something that people have been batting around as a 'Cat 6'. I understand that the argument is tedious; hell, I bore myself trying to explain very basic thermodynamics to people, but we're heading towards annihilation of life on Earth through pig ignorance.

My part in the derail is over at least. Gonna go tape up my windows and continue to ask Vishnu to level Mar-a-Lago and 1495 Ocean Blvd.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Some people still get to visit CIG apparently.

50 days until Citizen Con

wasn't it a silver one last year? I doubt it's a paintjob...

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
It's me I'm the bit where you end a stupid long effort post with 'I'm going to stop derailing now' in an attempt to not to look like a moron who can't let things go in a thread about a non existent space game on a dead gay comedy forum.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

KM Scorchio posted:

It's me I'm the bit where you end a stupid long effort post with 'I'm going to stop derailing now' in an attempt to not to look like a moron who can't let things go in a thread about a non existent space game in a dead gay comedy forum.

Yep, entirely. Nice call out there.

So, how are you?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sabreseven posted:

Yeah because a couple hundred years of human industry has changed billions of years of planetary activity. :shrug: Don't worry though, when humans are extinct eventually I'm sure the earth will carry on spinning regardless of our actions.

Like how we not nearly killed the whales ? Or how we absolutely not made the Dodo bird dissapear ? Or maybe how we absolutely not emptied the Aral Sea.

Yes, the earth will carry on without us for millions of years after the sun make it a flash boiled ball of dirt, but i would prefer for it to stay habitable for the next few millenia.

Being intelligent enough to gently caress it up mean we are also intelligent enough to preserve it, and its our moral imperative to do so.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

I think you miss the point, how high was it during the cretaceous period? Estimates were about 1000-1400ppm if I remember my history lessons, yet the world kept on spinning, life was abundant and diverse. I don't think the various lifeforms around at that point had much in the way of heavy industry.

Anyway, carry on trying to "save the planet" if ya like, we all know the planet will adapt better and faster than we will.

I think I understand why you were a backer that held on until september 2017 before getting a refund now

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Hav posted:

Yep, entirely. Nice call out there.

So, how are you?

Dead and gay. Like Miami.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

KM Scorchio posted:

Dead and gay. Like Miami.

You wish you were as fabulous.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

aleksendr posted:

Like how we not nearly killed the whales ? Or how we absolutely not made the Dodo bird dissapear ? Or maybe how we absolutely not emptied the Aral Sea.

Yes, the earth will carry on without us for millions of years after the sun make it a flash boiled ball of dirt, but i would prefer for it to stay habitable for the next few millenia.

Being intelligent enough to gently caress it up mean we are also intelligent enough to preserve it, and its our moral imperative to do so.

counterpoint: gently caress humanity

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

aleksendr posted:

Being intelligent enough to gently caress it up mean we are also intelligent enough to preserve it
I'm quoting this so the alien anthropologist researching our dead civilisation can have a good laugh.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

That volcano that happened in Iceland a few years ago, put out more co2 and more polluting greenhouse gases in one week than humans have in the entirety of our existance

Don't be an idiot. That is not true, as you would easily find by doing the smallest amount of research. Same with the solar activity thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Real Irma chat thread
Cool kids chat thread where we try and convince a goon not to die piss in the well

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Truga posted:

counterpoint: gently caress humanity

Sigh. Maybe it will be squids next time. They sure deserve a chance at civlization.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mne nravitsya posted:

Yes. And while on vacation he slipped into a dream and had a vision that Star Citizen should also include a full 3 hour cinematic movie release, a 14 episode tv show, it's own book series written by by George R.R. Martin but George must make it sci-fi, and a Star Citizen theme park developed on 85 acres of land he will be offering to paying backers to fund: just outside of Monaco.

Minor point, but George RR Martin has written sci fi.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Hey, I held on until September 2017 but only cos I didn't really want to deal with ol' Racist Roy Roocroft but it turns out it's super easy & he rolls over like a well trained Labrador.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

And you're missing the main point: "save the planet" means keeping it cozy... for ourselves.

Anyways, it's truly disappointing to find out you think like this. I like your posting.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 7, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/c0y0tewolf/status/905845584589979648

:trumppop:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol

please read my blog

please?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Isn't he on the beach in miami/ftl? He should have already gtfo. Cone now shows direct hit on Miami and it's not going to hit any land to slow it down beforehand.

I know you all are all excitable. But it's really not that big a deal.
This is not Houston. It's not on some arid land on a dry river bed that will collect all the overflow and funnel it into town.

The entire state is a porous aquifer.

The only people who need to worry are the ones who had their buildings constructed during the unregulated Cuban mafia building craze years.
And all of those lots their roofs/walls last hurricane.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Hey guys! Whoa, global warming huh? Alright!

Welp, see ya later!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

The Titanic posted:

The directions on how to prepare them are seemingly written by somebody who barely knows how to write directions.

It's like two guys said:
1: So uh how do we cook this stuff?
2: I don't know. I guess you probably want to do this.
1: Got it.. anything else?
2: I don't know. I guess this or something? Maybe put it on like a rock or something? I don't know. Did you write all this down?
1: Yep! Lets print it!

Got it, "ROCK OR SOMETHING" is unequivocally hilarious. There were so many little things wrong with that diagram. In a diagram explicitly pointing to poo poo and telling you what it is, they come out of nowhere with a past participle "inclined" to describe the orientation. It's the wrong word to use, it's in the wrong place and it's function is out of place in the diagram. That's top notch.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lladre posted:

I know you all are all excitable. But it's really not that big a deal.

Surface Detail is already way ahead of you on this one. Try a different angle.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Titanic posted:

I think the 64-bit positioning can't be a plugin that can be resold because it's a pretty major change to the game at a very low level.

LoL if you believe they managed this. Just look at the games con demo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Maybe im trolling....maybe im just correct and am going against a bunch of northern pussies news item of the day.

maybe its both...like the wind blowing in two directions

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I am serious though. If you lived in South Florida any length of time you would know it too.
I am planning on flying down there Sunday so I can help my folks with the clean up. They are old and my brother has his own place to worry about.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm going to be really pretty insanely busy over the next couple days, so if the thread needs to pull up please use the report function or whisper me on discord if you have my name.

Also, thanks for the wishes everyone.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There is a lot of crying wolf about storms (and ELEs) but a cat 3 near miss and a cat 5 direct hit or even near miss are so entirely different.

If this model is right, this is a big loving deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

There is a lot of crying wolf about storms (and ELEs) but a cat 3 near miss and a cat 5 direct hit or even near miss are so entirely different.

If this model is right, this is a big loving deal.