Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I also just got reminded about all the complaints that people had, that battles were too fast, and I was kind of in agreement at the time, but now that I'm done with another campaign, I'm realizing I never once thought about battle length during it. Which is usually a sign that things are working out correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Whats lightning strike supposed to be? it seems to disable your reinforcements and not the enemy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fizzil posted:

Whats lightning strike supposed to be? it seems to disable your reinforcements and not the enemy.

It's supposed to do both. Lightning Strike lets one army attack another 1v1; no items, final destination, fox only

one obvious exception though is attacking an army garrisoned in a city, you'll fight the army and the city's garrison at the same time; but without any other armies (yours or the enemy's) reinforcing.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

As durthu with armies made mostly of trees, fighting wood elf rebel stacks is goddamn annoying

gently caress off with your four melee units, three waywatchers, and 6 ranged cav. just gently caress off forever.

on the plus side it feels real good when the waywatchers that have been kiting you for a year get slowed by your lovely awakening of the wood cast and summarily owned by the dudes that finally caught up to them

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Very few things in Total War more satisfying than slowing/trapping an enemy horse archer unit and just crushing it with your own cavalry charge.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

toasterwarrior posted:

Very few things in Total War more satisfying than slowing/trapping an enemy horse archer unit and just crushing it with your own cavalry charge.

I fuckin' love it when an army of relatively slow units sends its horse archers forward to skirmish or whatever and I get to smash them with my own ranged units in a single volley.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
High Elves Campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mknieWm0P8

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I have had an itch to play this game but I just read about Warhammer 2, should I wait for that release?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Sirbloody posted:

I have had an itch to play this game but I just read about Warhammer 2, should I wait for that release?

in no way, the base game is still insanely good. the expansion is just another few continents and will (in a couple months) merge with the base game for one insane-o huge map

play warhams 1 now, it is great and the sequel is horizontal development, not vertical

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

rockopete posted:

How much of a hammer, as in hammer and anvil, should Bretonnian armies have in campaign? I like the thundering charges but it can be a pain to split attention and micro, even with J.

In the campaign it doesn't really matter, you can have a full army of cavalry with 1 treb to force the enemy to move to you and break walls and with how many cavalry bonuses you can stack up you'll just run over any army on impact.

Just throw a big bag of hammers at the other guys.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Wow, intrigue at court seems much more powerful than I thought it'd be.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
think of it this way

TWW1 is a mod of atilla, and so is TWW2

but they will combine at some point if you own both of them

you are basically paying for what race you want to play as well as what map

also some screen caps

the items he had were pretty meh, but he chose the one that gave attack, armor and ward over regeneration, poison, and ward.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
"The rite cannot be performed: This rite will become available after 30 turn(s)".

CA, get your technical writer some more coffee!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
so that's the Teclis gimmick, neat

welcome to Diplomacy, Warhammer edition, you are tiny and crushable but can play other factions off each other to stay alive

find the concept of a couple of elves walking up to some skinks and saying "hey I heard Mazdamundi's a dick, you probably shouldn't work with him" loving hilarious

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think that is just the high elf gimmick, not teclis

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the analogous technique for skaven is "hey I heard those skaven plan to betray you"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

I think that is just the high elf gimmick, not teclis

definitely, but Teclis is the one who needs it to stay alive. Tyrion can just play on fortress ulthuan and not give a poo poo, Teclis needs for mazdamundi to not be big enough to roll over and stomp him flat for the crime of being good at vortexes

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sirbloody posted:

Plavski posted:

in no way, the base game is still insanely good. the expansion is just another few continents and will (in a couple months) merge with the base game for one insane-o huge map

play warhams 1 now, it is great and the sequel is horizontal development, not vertical

Bundlestars still has the base game on sale for $18 for another day, https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/total-war-warhammer

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I just had a Chain Lightning go completely the opposite loving direction the enemy army was. Twice. So much for vortexes tending to go at least away towards where the Wizard is facing.

Even then and even with Cataph's magic mod, Heaven Wizards still feel like complete loving garbage compared to any other Wizard. If I wasn't sperging out about maintaining thematic Legendary Lord army compositions for this playthrough, I'd drop his rear end for a Shadow or Life Wizard ASAP.

Also Gejnor, I'm liking Greatswords receiving Honest Steel bonuses. It's not as overpowered as I initially thought it would be, though to be fair I'm playing on VH campaign and facing down massive hordes for most fights. With how SFO redesigns Halberdiers and Spear/Pikemen, Greatswords are a straight upgrade to every State Troop variant now and I think it's a lot more justified considering you pay a lot more upkeep while losing 50 models per unit.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 7, 2017

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ze Pollack posted:

so that's the Teclis gimmick, neat

welcome to Diplomacy, Warhammer edition, you are tiny and crushable but can play other factions off each other to stay alive

find the concept of a couple of elves walking up to some skinks and saying "hey I heard Mazdamundi's a dick, you probably shouldn't work with him" loving hilarious

Teclis' specific bonus you can see at the beginning of the video. "High Loremaster - Diplomatic relations: +10 with Men and High Elves. Hero recruit rank: +5 for Mages". Which seems pretty good, especially the mages part.

Finally a look at the climate system! I like how it looks so far. It's less rigid than TWW1's settlement occupation system. The penalties for merely "unpleasant" climate don't seem that bad. I wonder what they are for "uninhabitable".

From their icons, I'm guessing they're:

Temperate, Jungle, Island
Taiga?, Tundra, Mountain, Enchanted Forest?
Badlands?, Chaos Wastes?, Desert

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

so if they redid that on the combined map, no longer would you need the conquer anywhere mod

and I think that would be ok

vampires moving into dwarf territory helps out a lot for the action

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can't wait for the Terraform DLC.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Can't wait for the Terraform DLC.

...that would actually rule as a feature for 3

Lizardmen readjusting tectonic plates from across the map, dwarves realizing you can build a bunker just about anywhere, Durthu eating armies and making GBS threads forests, there's an angle here

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There's something really dumb about the idea of Brettonians settling in a dwarf hold (etc)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yah, those guys are probably building outside of the mountain

they should build inside dummy

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a very age of wonders thing to do and i endorse it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I reckon how I would Fix Retreating would be to make it a skill your commander can get. Then low level trash armies will not be able to retreat but high tier LLs will have to be carefully cornered. And you will be able to stop an army from being able to retreat by assassinating their Lord.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ammanas posted:

There's something really dumb about the idea of Brettonians settling in a dwarf hold (etc)

Bretonnian lord addressing his peasants in a captured dwarf hold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zujD2KQffRE

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Isnt the fix for retreating armies to have a good level spy just block army on them so they can barely move? Also what is with chaos armies bieng able to retreat, you attack again and murder them, and then their stack still exist with the lord at 1hp.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PlushCow posted:

Bundlestars still has the base game on sale for $18 for another day, https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/total-war-warhammer

Also Humble Bundle is having a End of Summer Sale and all the TWW DLC is 50% off, much better than the recent sale Steam just had at 33%.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tree man puts trees outside of a dwarf hold

hmm not sure bretonians could figure this one out

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Help. I might actually have to play the High Elves, just for the sheer fun of manipulating everyone around me to go to war with each other, while I pick off the stragglers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirFozzie posted:

Help. I might actually have to play the High Elves, just for the sheer fun of manipulating everyone around me to go to war with each other, while I pick off the stragglers.

You can also use it to increase your relations with allies. So Tyrion uses it more to makes tons of allies, while Teclis uses it to make friends and have enemies beat on each other instead of him.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I do not know know how they've done it, but CA have made elves look fun to play. I was sure I'd hate both flavors because I hated the wood elves, but now it looks like dark elves will be my first playthrough,and high elves aren't far behind.

I'm kinda shocked to find the race I'm least interested in is Skaven.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NewMars posted:

Wow, intrigue at court seems much more powerful than I thought it'd be.

Yeah, looks awesome.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, I guess it's because I just played a Dwarf game but Empire artillery feels insanely anemic to me now. Mortars are still awesome, Helstorm rockets less so, but Great Cannons and Helblasters just feel like they're barely doing anything. It's like I take a single unit just to counter one particularly tough enemy unit and then it can't do anything else after.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mans posted:

This is a very age of wonders thing to do and i endorse it.

this is why this is gonna be good

they are going outside of the TW comfort zone

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bet High Elves diplomacy won't do poo poo on higher difficulties with all the ai bonuses.

They have nice unit cards though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

toasterwarrior posted:

poo poo, I guess it's because I just played a Dwarf game but Empire artillery feels insanely anemic to me now. Mortars are still awesome, Helstorm rockets less so, but Great Cannons and Helblasters just feel like they're barely doing anything. It's like I take a single unit just to counter one particularly tough enemy unit and then it can't do anything else after.

Great Cannons are all about where you aim them - they're not as accurate as Dwarf cannons but do near as much damage when they hit. Try to manually target the middle ranks of an enemy formation to maximize your chances of a good hit. Don't let them waste shots on lords unless those lords are large units.

Helblasters, meanwhile, are possibly the most devastating field gun in the game, but they're not artillery and it's a mistake to treat them as such - rather, they're the unit you hide behind something beefy until the lines meet, and then you wheel it into a flanking position and mulch the entire enemy force in about thirty seconds. Helblasters are insanely good when used well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

jokes posted:

Hate it when you get to a situation where you're strong enough there's a 0% chance of anything actually challenging your supremacy, but you still get your settlements razed here and there by a lucky autoresolve by some nerd rebellion or some beastmen thing or whatever. Then you get a billion popups of things that mean nothing, and you're spending 80 turns chasing down a stack consisting of one chaos beastmen lord and 2 units of ungors that are hidden in the badlands or whatever to end the stupid end times world event.

I really think that defeating each of the Chaos LLs should end the End Times event. Hunting down the stragglers is really lame.

Also, gently caress hellcannons.

I'm on turn 150 with Empire and only just found out I could put people in offices this whole time.

• Locked thread