Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is shamelessly stolen from last last year's OP, with minor changes. Hat tip to Hockles for running this in 2015 and 2016 and providing a good OP.

How do I play 1000 Yards or Bust?

Every week, a player submits a list of offensive players and lists whether they wish to count their passing, rushing, or receiving yards for that week's game. The goal is to get as close to 1000 total yards without going over. You don't necessarily have to use the player's native position's stats. Which allows for Matt Ryan's Rushing Yards or a running back's receiving yards. Please only use a player once, so gone are the days of listing every player for every kind of stat and listing "New York Giants Offense." Also, please put the team of the player, which makes it easier for me to find. Please, for the sake of making results easier to calculate, use players' actual names instead of nicknames (no Megatron, Purple Jesus, RG3, etc.) and make sure that you spell them correctly. And try to keep lists to 10 players and under.

Thanks to our own Forever_Peace I'll be using a Python query on the nfldb database (https://github.com/BurntSushi/nfldb) to put everyone's scores together. Feel free to PM me if you'd like info on how to set this up on your end. This database is why we're being a lot more strict this year with properly formatted roster submissions. It's a real pain to manually score and/or correct these, so thank you in advance for meeting the formatting requirements. To that end:

This year there will be no exceptions to the list formatting rule. If your post is formatted incorrectly it will not be counted.

Lists are formatted as such:

DEN - Peyton Manning - Passing Yards
MIN - Adrian Peterson - Rushing Yards
DET - Calvin Johnson - Receiving Yards
B#: PHI - Carson Wentz - Passing Yards (this is your Brady number)

And so on. Obviously, players can only be added to a list before their respective games start, so if you wake up halfway through the 1pm games on Sunday and realize you haven't submitted a list yet, you can still cobble one together from the afternoon games and be fine. Once the game of the first player on your list to play starts, your list is FINAL for the week and cannot be edited. If you want to make changes to your list before the games start that's fine, but please alert me to that edit in a separate post. I'm going to copy down people's lists before each set of games start if I start feeling I have a reason to be suspicious. The objective, as of the game implies, is for the entirety of your list to get as close as possible to 1000 yards without going over.

But there's a twist: every list must have one, and only one, player from Monday Night Football included to be counted. The name for the mandatory MNF number has changed from year to year in honor of various football figures who made an impact in Monday Night Football games. Last year it was immortalized as the Goodell Number, but this season the MNF number will be called...

The Brady Number! Long live the GOAT!

Lists without a Brady Number will be disqualified from scoring for the week, and players that include multiple players from the MNF game will only have the one designated as the Brady Number counted for their score. But, a Brady Number is the only requirement for a valid score, so if you somehow miss getting an entry in by the end of Sunday, you can always pick the player you think will get the most yards on Monday Night and at least get on the scoring table for the week.

How does scoring work?

The highest score of the week without busting (unless they hit 1000 exactly, but we'll get to that later) is awarded points equal to the number of entries for that week. Each player following will be rewarded points sequentially, and busted players are added after all the players who did not bust have been counted. Busted players receive more points the fewer yards they were over 1000.

So, in a hypothetical week where 5 users submitted entries:

Player A: 1200 yards (1 point)
Player B: 995 yards (5 points)
Player C: 1005 yards (3 points)
Player D: 1050 yards (2 points)
Player E: 800 yards (4 points)

So as you can see, the easiest way to succeed in 1KoB is to A) enter every week (even busting is better than earning no points at all), and B) not bust. Coming short by 200 yards will get you way more points than busting by even a single yard. Points are cumulative across the entire 17 week season, so keep playing even if you get off to a bad start! One or two bad weeks won't kill you in the long run.

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

People seemed to be cool with the way the playoff system has been run, so I'm going to keep it this year. Because the Super Bowl obviously only features two teams, the final week of 1KoB is actually the conference championships. The top 27 regular season scorers get a playoff berth, and after each week of the playoffs the bottom two thirds of the field are eliminated. So 27 entrants in the Wild Card round becomes 9 in the divisional round, and then only 3 move on to the final round of the 1KoB season.

So what happens if someone hits 1000?

Hitting 1000 exactly is extremely rare. Dozens of users submit lists to 1KoB every week (with many many others doing so infrequently), and perfect scores still happen only once or twice a year, if at all. Therefore, a perfect score entitles you to replace your lowest scoring bust with the highest score of that week (bumping every other player down a point in addition to all the points you make up). And, if you've managed to get a perfect score without getting any busts in a season, you will instead receive double the high score value for the week. For example, if you hit a 1k on a week with 100 players, you will receive 200 points while the next highest player will only receive 99. So in short, it's really really good to hit 1000 and not constantly play conservatively out of fear of busting because it gives you a huge leg up in the season standings.

Gimmicks

:siren: TOKENS ARE BACK BABY :siren:

Yes that's right, because I'm a crazy fucker I'm going to let y'all use tokens again. What's a token you ask? Good question:

Because 1KYOB is inherently a game about selecting offensive players, tokens were originally created to celebrate the superlative defenders of the NFL as well as introduce another strategic element to the game. The tokens apply to your Brady Number player and only your Brady Number player, but you can't cheat and edit them in if you're heading into Monday about to bust: if you haven't declared you're using a token before the first player on your list starts, you're SOL. Each token can only be used once except for the final special token. This means no refreshes as there were in the 2015 and earlier seasons.

To play a token please copy and paste the image as well as the name of the token after your Brady Number.

This year we will have 5 fun token flavors. But pay attention! These are new, awesome flavors and some of these tokens can come with a downside!

The five current tokens in play are:

THE COX TOKEN

Thrusts through the line to stop your running game! You may play the Cox Token when your Brady Number is a Running Back. If your Brady Number would bust your score, this token will zero out their score!

THE OSWEILER TOKEN

A memorial to the greatest trade in history, the Osweiler token is a powerful reminder that teams can build via subtraction just as well as addition. You may play the Osweiler token regardless of your player's position. If your Brady Number would bust you, instead of adding points the Brady Number removes that many points from your score.

THE PRATER TOKEN

Kickers are people too! You may play the Prater token if your player is a Wide Receiver or Tight End. If your Brady Number would bust your score, this token will replace their score with the longest field goal in NFL history - 64 yards.

THE ILL-ADVISED RELOCATION TOKEN

Sometimes despite years of loyalty and good will you just have to chase after the dollar bills. You may play the Ill-Advised Relocation token if your Brady Number is a Quarterback because the fans only care about Quarterbacks! If your Brady Number would bust your score, this token will replace their score with the score of the opposing QB. For example, in Week 1 the LA Chargers are playing the Denver Broncos. If your Brady Number, Phillip Rivers, would bust you, you instead will get the score of Trevor Siemian. But since relocation doesn't always work out, if the replacement still busts you, tough luck!

And as always there is one special token...

THE 28-3 TOKEN

A reminder of the greatest choke job in all of sports and that no one should ever count out Touchdown Tom. If you declare the 28-3 token during a given week, it gets you 50 bonus points for a top 10 score and 100 bonus points for the best score of the week, but if you finish outside the top 10 you get zero, so you better manage that comeback! In addition, you can use the 28-3 token as much as you want if you keep getting the bonus, but if you use the 28-3 token and fail to make the top 10, you can't use it again for the entire rest of the season unless you hit a perfect thousand. Not for the faint at heart!

Prizes and ~*THEME WEEK*~

Athanatos has offered a free avatar change to whoever wins this season!

Buane has also very graciously promised actual cash prizes for players this year. And we will have some fun theme weeks to give them out. Here's his explanation:

Buane posted:

Fitting that the Monday night number would be named after #12, Tom Brady, in 1000 Yards or Bust's 12th season. In honor of this milestone, and because this game continued to survive despite my absence/negligence, I would like to contribute the following cash prizes this year:

$50 to this year's overall champion
$25 for anyone who hits 1000 yards during the season

One $10 prize to be awarded each week during fun optional THEME WEEKS.

Please do note that theme weeks are not mandatory. You can still play to your heart's content without following the theme, but you will not be eligible for that theme week's prize.

Each week will have its own theme, which I will reveal in the OP and week title. Good luck everyone!

Theme Weeks

Week 1: GOAT WEEK (vanilla 1kob, just win baby)
Week 2: ???
Week 3: ???
Week 4: ???
Week 5: ???
Week 6: ???
Week 7: ???
Week 8: ???
Week 9: ???
Week 10: ???
Week 11: ???
Week 12: Thanksgiving Turkey Week (biggest Turkey wins, list can only have one turkey)
Week 13: ???
Week 14: ???
Week 15: ???
Week 16: ???
Week 17: ???

Theme Week Announcement

As this is the first week of the season this week's theme is:

GOAT WEEK

In celebration of Tom Brady, the GOAT, this week's $10 weekly winner will just be the player who happens to do the best.

Week 1 Schedule

Thursday Night
KC @ NE

Sunday - 1pm EST
NYJ @ BUF
ATL @ CHI
BAL @ CIN
PIT @ CLE
ARI @ DET
JAX @ HOU
TB @ MIA
OAK @ TEN
PHI @ WAS

Sunday - 4pm EST
IND @ LA
SEA @ GB
CAR @ SF

Sunday Night
NYG @ DAL

Monday Night
NO @ MIN
LAC @ DEN

For this week, since there are 2 Monday night games, please only select 1 total player. You cannot use a player from any of the 3 remaining teams as a normal player or a Brady Number. Just 1 player.

Good luck, have fun!

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
IND - Scott Tolzien - Passing Yards
LAR - Todd Gurley - Rushing Yards
NYG - Eli Manning - Passing Yards
CHI - Mitchell Trubisky - Passing Yards

B#: MIN - Sam Bradford - Passing Yards

Fixed to be as worse as ever.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 7, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
PHI - Carson Wentz - Passing Yards
PHI - Alshon Jeffrey - Receiving Yards
BUF - Jordan Matthews - Receiving Yards
PHI - LeGarrette Blount - Rushing Yards
BUF - LeSean McCoy - Rushing Yards

18-1 begins...right...now! Ex-Eagles are also allowed I guess.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

IND - Scott Tolzien - Passing Yards
LAR - Todd Gurley - Rushing Yards
MIN - Sam Bradford - Passing Yards

Hey can you please edit this post so it has the Brady number formatted correctly? Thanks!

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012
CIN - A.J. Green - Receiving Yards
OAK - Amari Cooper - Receiving Yards
ATL - Julio Jones - Receiving Yards
NYG - Paul Perkins - Rushing Yards
CAR - Christian McCaffrey - Rushing Yards
WSH - Jordan Reed - Receiving Yards
DET - Theo Riddick - Rushing Yards
ARI - David Johnson - Rushing Yards
CAR - Cam Newton - Rushing Yards

B#: NO - Michael Thomas - Receiving Yards

Young Hegelian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 6, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yesss my favorite forum game is back :woop: Godspeed for doing this, axeil

TEN - Marcus Mariota - Passing Yards
WAS - Kirk Cousins - Passing Yards
TEN - DeMarco Murray - Rushing Yards
PIT - Le'Veon Bell - Rushing Yards
CIN - A.J. Green - Receiving Yards

B# - MIN - Dalvin Cook - Rushing Yards

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Hell yeas! Thank you. Maybe this year I'll rock all regular season like last year and actually play during the playoffs unlike last year!?

NE - Tom Brady - Passing Yards
ARI - David Johnson - Rushing Yards
NE - Chris Hogan - Receiving Yards
ARI - Larry Fitzgerald - Receiving Yards

B# - LA? - Phillip Rivers - Passing Yards

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
CLE - DeShone Kizer - Rushing Yards
CAR - Christian McCaffrey - Rushing Yards

Watch Bradford drop 500 yards on the Saints defense.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
ATL - Matt Ryan - Passing Yards
KC - Tyreek Hill - Receiving Yards
B#: DEN - Jamaal Charles - Rushing Yards

Let's see how lovely at this game I am. :v:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
NE - Tom Brady - passing yards
ATL - Matt Ryan - passing yards
ARI - David Johnson - rushing yards
NE - James White - receiving yards
NE - Chris Hogan - receiving yards
HOU - DeAndre Hopkins - receiving yards

B#: MIN - Stefon Diggs - receiving yards

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 7, 2017

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

NE - James White - Receiving Yards
GB - Aaron Rodgers - Passing Yards
SEA - Eddie Lacy - Rushing Yards
IND - T.Y. Hilton - Receiving Yards
B#: NO - Drew Brees - Passing Yards

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 6, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

You're doing the Lord's work, axeil. (Do you pronounce it "AX-EYE-L" or "AX-EEL"?)

PIT - Ben Roethlisberger - Passing Yards
B#: LAC - Philip Rivers - Passing Yards

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
WAS - Kirk Cousins - Passing Yards
PHI - Zach Ertz - Receiving Yards
WAS - Terelle Pryor - Receiving Yards
WAS - Jamison Crowder - Receiving Yards
PHI - Wendel Smallwood - Rushing Yards

B#: NO - Drew Brees - Rushing Yards

(axeil do you need me to put the Sr for Terrelle Pryor?)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shangri-Law School posted:

You're doing the Lord's work, axeil. (Do you pronounce it "AX-EYE-L" or "AX-EEL"?)

PIT - Ben Roethlisberger - Passing Yards
B#: LAC - Philip Rivers - Passing Yards

I always have pronounced it AX-EEL but it's a forums handle I came up with when I was like 13 and I don't think I've ever actually said it aloud in my life.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
OAK - Derek Carr - Passing Yards
JAX - Leonard Fournette - Rushing Yards
PIT - Antonio Brown - Receiving Yards
NYJ - Bilail Powell - Rushing Yards
CHI - Jordan Howard - Rushing Yards
B#: NO - Drew Brees - Passing Yards

Oh God this could go all go horribly wrong. Wonderful!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

NYJ - Bilal Powell - Rushing Yards
NYG - Odell Beckham Jr. - Receiving Yards
OAK - Amari Cooper - Recieving Yards
CAR - Cam Newton - Passing Yards

B#: - NO - Drew Brees - Passing Yards

Alright. I am ready to bust!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NE - Rob Gronkowski - Receiving yards
BUF - LeSean McCoy - Rushing yards
CLE - Corey Coleman - Receiving yards
LA - Todd Gurley - Rushing yards
JAX - Allen Robinson - Receiving yards
ATL - Matt Ryan - Passing yards
DAL - Ezekial Elliot - Rushing yards
B# LAC - Melvin Gordon - Rushing yards

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DET - Matt Stafford - Passing Yards
GB - Jordy Nelson - Receiving Yards

B# MIN - Dalvin Cook - Rushing Yards

I choose to believe the Brady number will become increasingly cathartic as TB12 deteriorates before our eyes this season.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
PIT - LeVeon Bell - Rushing Yards
OAK - Derek Carr - Passing Yards

Brady Number: Trevor Siemian - Passing Yards

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
This is my first time doing this so let's see how this goes:

NYJ - Josh McCown - (Passing Yards)
CLE - Isaiah Crowell - (Rushing Yards)
CHI - Kevin White - (Receiving Yards)
IND - Scott Tolzien - (Passing Yards)
BUF - Zay Jones - (Receiving Yards)
LA - Todd Gurley - (Rushing Yards)
JAX - Blake Bortles - (Passing Yards)
SF - George Kittle - (Receiving Yards)
HOU - Tom Savage (Rushing Yards)

B# Drew Brees, Passing Yards

Arnold Layne
Nov 4, 2008

CIN - Andy Dalton - Passing Yards
B#: NO - Coby Fleener - Receiving Yards

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I saw the thread title: is Metapod posting again?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey everyone, great news! Buane has very graciously promised actual cash prizes for players this year. And we will have some fun theme weeks to give them out. Here's his explanation:

Buane posted:

Fitting that the Monday night number would be named after #12, Tom Brady, in 1000 Yards or Bust's 12th season. In honor of this milestone, and because this game continued to survive despite my absence/negligence, I would like to contribute the following cash prizes this year:

$50 to this year's overall champion
$25 for anyone who hits 1000 yards during the season

One $10 prize to be awarded each week during fun optional THEME WEEKS.

GOAT WEEK

In celebration of Tom Brady, the GOAT, this week's $10 weekly winner will just be the player who happens to do the best.

Please do note that theme weeks are not mandatory. You can still play to your heart's content without following the theme, but you will not be eligible for that theme week's prize.

Each week will have its own theme, which I will reveal in the OP. Good luck everyone!

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 7, 2017

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
LA - Jared Goff - Passing Yards
HOU - Lamar Miller - Rushing Yards
TEN - DeMarco Murray - Rushing Yards
DAL - Dez Bryant - Receiving Yards
DET - Golden Tate - Receiving Yards
CAR - Greg Olson - Receiving Yards

B#: MIN - Dalvin Cook - Rushing Yards

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
OAK - Marshawn Lynch, Rushing Yards
CHI - Jordan Howard, Rushing Yards
TEN - DeMarco Murray, Rushing Yards
JAX - Leonard Fournette, Rushing Yards
PIT - Le'Veon Bell, Rushing Yards
CLE - Isiah Crowell, Rushing Yards
ATL - Devonta Freeman, Rushing Yards
LA - Todd Gurley, Rushing Yards

B#: DEN - Trevor Siemian, Passing Yards

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
BUF - LeSean McCoy, Rushing Yards
NYJ - Bilal Powell, Receiving Yards
ATL - Julio Jones, Receiving Yards
Andy Dalton: Passing Yards
Joe Flacco: Passing Yards

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
CIN - Andy Dalton - passing yards
DET - Matt Stafford - passing yards
SEA - Eddie Lacy - rushing yards

B# - LAC - Philip Rivers - passing yards

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
CAR - Cam Newton - Passing Yards
LAR - Jared Goff - Passing Yards
SEA - Thomas Rawls - Rushing Yards
DAL - Jason Witten - Receiving Yards

Brady #: NO - Adrian Peterson - Rushing Yards

Week 1 is always so unpredictable so I figure its totally sensible to do this:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
NE - Tom Brady - Passing
DAL - Ezekiel Elliot - Rushing
ARI - David Johnson - Rushing
GB - Martellus Bennett - Receiving
CIN - Joe Mixon - Rushing
OAK - Amari Cooper - Receiving
CIN - AJ Green - Receiving

B# NO - Michael Thomas - Receiving

korrandark fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 7, 2017

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

OAK - Derek Carr- Passing Yards

B#: MIN - Latavius Murray - Rushing Yards

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

NE - Tom Brady - Passing Yards

Brady Number: Dalvin Cook: Receiving Yards

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012
This reply is to all of you.

Using quarterbacks for passing yards is either, depending on whether or not you do better than me this week:

a) stupid, or
b) cheating.

Good luck to everyone except your quarterbacks.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Young Hegelian posted:

Using quarterbacks for passing yards is either, depending on whether or not you do better than me this week:

a) stupid, or
b) cheating.

Sam Bradford is going to make me a champion/utter failure and you can't stop me!

Also please post itt if you have good theme week ideas. Buane and I already have some but I welcome community feedback

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Young Hegelian posted:

a) stupid, or
b) cheating.

I've been doing it this way since 2011 I think

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm banking on Matt Ryan "only" getting 300ish yards so I am fully prepared to be option A in that binary. :v:

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Diqnol posted:

I've been doing it this way since 2011 I think

How has it worked?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

axeil posted:

Hey everyone, great news! Buane has very graciously promised actual cash prizes for players this year. And we will have some fun theme weeks to give them out. Here's his explanation:

GOAT WEEK

Each week will have its own theme, which I will reveal in the OP. Good luck everyone!

Let's do this, thread. Can't believe this is season 12 of this game.

If you want to collect the weekly bonus pools, you need to accept payment on Venmo. That is all!

I'll make a list later this week

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Young Hegelian posted:

How has it worked?

I usually make "playoffs" which it's good for. It'll generally get you a solid score without busting and consistent production isn't bad.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I feel like there may be a curse to being the MNF 1KYOB namesake. Last year Goodell got dunked on all year and this year well...

Perhaps week 2's theme should be ALEX SMITH WEEK?

• Locked thread