Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Xik posted:

This set of ATH-M50x has been my "daily driver" for 3 1/2 years, but they've recently started to peel away:

I figured I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade. Is there like a fairly consistently recommended "next step" up from these? I'd like closed, full-size, over-ear, but also really hoping I can find some that has more comfortable "cloth" pads.

I mean if you wanna stick with the same style/brand I REALLY like my ATH-M70x but you can gently caress right off if you think I'd pay the $270 that Amazon wants for them.
I paid $300 ish for a package deals and got a Focusrite scarlett 2i2, Samson large diaphram mic, and a bunch of accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
Sorry if this is a dumb post but I recently bought some AKG K712s (refurbished, I think) as an upgrade to my Sony MDR 7506s that I've been using for 4 years cause the AKGs seemed the most reasonably priced of the higher quality stuff in the UK. After testing it out for a couple of days and comparing it to my Sonys I feel pretty disappointed - the bass is a bit stronger, treble sounds a little weaker? and there are some little differences but mostly it sounds similar, with no increase in "soundstage" or whatever. However, I feel like there's a noticeable sort of muffling/muddy sound in some songs, particularly with fuzzy/distorted guitars. I keep trying to listen to the AKGs for a decent period but certain songs just sound really bad because of that and the others I don't feel the AKG sound is an improvement.

I'm planning on sending them back but I'm wondering if it's a dud pair or just my own ears. I know it takes a while to get used to the sound of a pair but I feel it at least shouldn't sound worse - maybe that's a bad expectation. How do you tell whether headphones are actually an "upgrade" and how much time do you give yourself to get used to a pair before you decide you don't like them? I'd like to be able to test them out before buying but I'm not sure there's a place nearby here.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

tombom posted:

How do you tell whether headphones are actually an "upgrade" and how much time do you give yourself to get used to a pair before you decide you don't like them?

I give it a few weeks so I can make sure I've gone through all my use cases/albums.

Upgrades for me are usually around things like comfort, general enjoyment, and things like that. If I can't wear a pair of cans for a few hours straight, it's definitely not an upgrade.

It's all about preference sound-wise, though. There are oftentimes tradeoffs rather than straight upgrades and that worth keeping in mind.

For instance, I just got a Sennheiser HD 569 a few weeks ago to replace a now - broken Monolith M560.

I slightly prefer the sound on the Monolith, but the 569 are way more comfortable, don't slip on my head, have a cord only on one side, have the perfect length cord for portable cans, and may work as my PS4 headset as well with the built in mic.

Even though these are probably my limit on brightness in headphones and a few tracks can be a bit much, I much prefer these cans for all the other benefits.

List out some pros and cons, no shame in sending something back that's not right for you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tombom posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb post but I recently bought some AKG K712s (refurbished, I think) as an upgrade to my Sony MDR 7506s that I've been using for 4 years cause the AKGs seemed the most reasonably priced of the higher quality stuff in the UK. After testing it out for a couple of days and comparing it to my Sonys I feel pretty disappointed - the bass is a bit stronger, treble sounds a little weaker? and there are some little differences but mostly it sounds similar, with no increase in "soundstage" or whatever. However, I feel like there's a noticeable sort of muffling/muddy sound in some songs, particularly with fuzzy/distorted guitars. I keep trying to listen to the AKGs for a decent period but certain songs just sound really bad because of that and the others I don't feel the AKG sound is an improvement.

I'm planning on sending them back but I'm wondering if it's a dud pair or just my own ears. I know it takes a while to get used to the sound of a pair but I feel it at least shouldn't sound worse - maybe that's a bad expectation. How do you tell whether headphones are actually an "upgrade" and how much time do you give yourself to get used to a pair before you decide you don't like them? I'd like to be able to test them out before buying but I'm not sure there's a place nearby here.

Are you using an amplifier? The AKG 701s were notorious for using more power than you'd think and I'm pretty sure the 712s have the same driver.

They'll sound like garbage using audio out of a computer if there isn't a dedicated amp in the chain somewhere.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

MDR 1000X are $101 off on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHZ4ZYY?ref=emc_b_5_i

For $300 with active noise canceling and sounding way better than Bose, it's a killer buy.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I ended up just ordering some replacement pads. If they are comfy, then I'll probably just stick with these for another year or two. :v:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ddogflex posted:

Quick google gave me this: https://wickedcushions.com/products/replacement-earpads-for-bose-headphones-black-velour?variant=34389790533

I'm sure there are other options. Anyway, what you're looking for are "velour" ear pads.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask but what movies get the most benefit from being watched with good headphones? Alien for example has a whole world of subtle, detailed sound effects that I couldn't fully appreciate with the cheap headphones I had before, much less TV speakers. Are there any others like that?

I don't really mean great music though; I can just listen to the soundtrack CD or whatever for that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask but what movies get the most benefit from being watched with good headphones? Alien for example has a whole world of subtle, detailed sound effects that I couldn't fully appreciate with the cheap headphones I had before, much less TV speakers. Are there any others like that?

I don't really mean great music though; I can just listen to the soundtrack CD or whatever for that.

I thought the Dredd movie was pretty good over headphones. Especially the slow-mo drug den shootout and several other key moments. I was just listening via itunes and a DAC/Amp though so I don't know how the blu-ray would sound through a receiver chain.

I mean probably better but you never know.

Actually with today's highly efficient headphones you could probably just use the headphone out jack on your TV and skip the amps.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 26, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

I thought the Dredd movie was pretty good over headphones. Especially the slow-mo drug den shootout and several other key moments. I was just listening via itunes and a DAC/Amp though so I don't know how the blu-ray would sound through a receiver chain.

I mean probably better but you never know.

Actually with today's highly efficient headphones you could probably just use the headphone out jack on your TV and skip the amps.
Huh, I already like that movie, but I don't think I have watched it with headphones.

I used to listen to headphones directly plugged into the TV but my amp definitely sounds better plugged into the optical from my PS4.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you like engines, Mad Max: Fury Road.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you like engines, Mad Max: Fury Road.
Already done that.

I'm really more thinking about movies wth subtle, meaningful sounds that could be missed when watching through speakers.

Maybe Alien is just in a league of its own in that respect.

Edit: Prometheus is so similar to Alien, I don't like it much as a movie but maybe I should try it again this way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 26, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm really more thinking about movies wth subtle, meaningful sounds that could be missed when watching through speakers.

Anything David Lynch has ever done, pretty much. Or Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Or the Coen Brothers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Anything David Lynch has ever done, pretty much. Or Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Or the Coen Brothers.
That reminds me, I haven't seen any David Lynch in a while.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My MPOW M3s are still stuttering a lot - seems to be worse when I'm in the office. I looked around online and it seems like the headphones stutter and skip when there's a lot of wireless interference​ around. What can I do to mitigate this, or is it just something I have to live with?

EDIT: Is it also possible that it's a matter of power or battery charge? I've also noticed it gets a bit worse in the skipping regard when it starts getting low on charge.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 28, 2017

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I ended up buying the AfterShokz Trekz Titaniums, but after a couple of days I'm ready to return them. Even to my plebeian ears they just did not sound good. At their best it still sounded like headphones that were near but not in/on your ears.

So, I'm still in the market for a pair of wireless headphones that are more earbud than IEM. Samurai Sanders mentioned the Plantronics BackBeat Fit, and those seem like a mighty fine choice. Trouble is I've noticed there was a design refresh at some point, but I can't find any info about it. Does anyone know if there's any appreciable difference between the older and newer units, or is it just different colors/button icons?

e: lol I guess it doesn't really matter, when I went to return the Trekz I found the BackBeats were on a big enough sale that the online options were barely worth it. They seem pretty great so far!

runchild fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 29, 2017

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

runchild posted:

I ended up buying the AfterShokz Trekz Titaniums, but after a couple of days I'm ready to return them. Even to my plebeian ears they just did not sound good. At their best it still sounded like headphones that were near but not in/on your ears.

So, I'm still in the market for a pair of wireless headphones that are more earbud than IEM. Samurai Sanders mentioned the Plantronics BackBeat Fit, and those seem like a mighty fine choice. Trouble is I've noticed there was a design refresh at some point, but I can't find any info about it. Does anyone know if there's any appreciable difference between the older and newer units, or is it just different colors/button icons?

e: lol I guess it doesn't really matter, when I went to return the Trekz I found the BackBeats were on a big enough sale that the online options were barely worth it. They seem pretty great so far!

ATP listener by any chance?

Yes, the BackBeat fits are great at least for sports / podcasts / convenience.

Not so great for blocking out outside noise in an office / commuting, so I'm still in the market for something with much better isolation, but with Bluetooth performance, battery life and comfort as good.

Don't find full-on IEMs comfortable, so maybe some decent isolating Bluetooth earbuds - anyone suggest anything?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That's the second Iphone 7 headphone dongle I've lost. I think I need to replace it with something somewhat bigger and more conspicuous looking but not a portable amp; I already have one of those and it doesn't exactly fit in my pocket. Any suggestions?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 1, 2017

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's the second Iphone 7 headphone dongle I've lost. I think I need to replace it with something somewhat bigger but not a portable amp; I already have one of those and it doesn't exactly fit in my pocket. Any suggestions?

Go bluetooth?

I think you're stuck with the dongle. The only bigger option is a dongle that does more, like offers a pass-through lightning port for charging.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LD9G8Y/ref=psdc_2407774011_t1_B071JYL2C4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could alternatively get one of these things (unless you're using lots of different headphones in which case it isn't very useful) https://cozy-industries.com/collections/shop/products/sound-cozy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

wooger posted:

Go bluetooth?

I think you're stuck with the dongle. The only bigger option is a dongle that does more, like offers a pass-through lightning port for charging.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LD9G8Y/ref=psdc_2407774011_t1_B071JYL2C4
I already have some bluetooth sports headphones but occasionally I do want to plug IEMs directly into my iphone, like at work or ironically, while trying on new headphones at the electronics store.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
New Monoprice planars for $200. Nobody has them yet to my knowledge but they sure do look pretty.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24733

(note the weight is only 335 grams)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DancingShade posted:

New Monoprice planars for $200. Nobody has them yet to my knowledge but they sure do look pretty.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24733

(note the weight is only 335 grams)

Huh, I wonder if these are intended to replace or complement the m560s.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

Huh, I wonder if these are intended to replace or complement the m560s.

I don't know - the weight change throws off my ideas of a simple re-branding / re-housing. Not sure I know of any 66mm planar drivers - these might be something new. Maybe an oppo clone underneath?

Just going off the visuals the pads look pretty similar to the M50/MSR7 types and they're supposed to be friendly to pad rolling. Could be quite decent with some Brainwavz pads if stock aren't large enough for some people.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how are the AirPods? bad? i want a wireless pair of headphones i can exercise in and i'm not sure whether or not to go with those or something else.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how are the AirPods? bad? i want a wireless pair of headphones i can exercise in and i'm not sure whether or not to go with those or something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wImaGRkNY

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

There’s a 14 day return period iirc so you can always try them out and decide.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

I got the InEarPeace headphones and have been trying them out for a few days. Today was my long day with them in and I think I have listened enough to get my first thoughts.

Pros:
Sound Quality wise sounds really good.
Lots of different tips
In-Line mic comes over well in conference calls
I don't have to have the music up very loud to drown out everything else when the nozzles are fit snuggly in my ears.

Cons:
One of the backs on the headphones just pops off super easy, I could probably send it back, but in reality I might just throw a lil tab of glue.
They fall out of my ears... I have tried the big tips and the small tips, and it seems like I just can't get them to sit right...... Even if I am just sitting on the plane after about 45mins to an hour they have wedged themselves out of ear and are not making a complete suction so I have to fiddle with them, it is annoying. Walking around the airport I seem every ~3mins have to adjust to keep them in.

I like them so far, I am hoping I can figure out a way to keep them in my ears..

SO my InEarpeace headphones died and all in all I was happy with them, but they seemed to die early.. I got the comply tips and it helped getting them in my ear..

What should I buy now? I need a non lovely inline mic and am on a plane alot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fyallm posted:

SO my InEarpeace headphones died and all in all I was happy with them, but they seemed to die early.. I got the comply tips and it helped getting them in my ear..

What should I buy now? I need a non lovely inline mic and am on a plane alot.

Comedy option: Razer Kraken Pro V2 in bright neon green.

Just make sure to travel with the matching branded backpack so everyone knows you are a person of taste and sophistication.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
tl;dr cheap Bluetooth headphones for work

Budget - 50USD or less. When these inevitably find themselves in the washing machine, I don't want to cry too loudly

Source - iPhone/iThing through Bluetooth

Isolation Requirements - Isolation is nice but these will be worn during work, where it's still useful to hear outside noise.

Preferred Type: Earbuds. IEM i guess is the only other option here. I guess you could convince me to try IEM again? Maybe I had a bad experience with IEMs because they were Samsung Galaxy S3 throw-ins.

Past Headphones - Kinda irrelevant but I've used cheap IEM earbuds and they're kinda invasive in my ear canals. My EarPods from Apple have the best comfort.

Preferred Music - Nothing bass heavy. In fact, 90% of my work listening is audiobooks.

Other requests - enough battery to last an 8hr shift?

I realize the AirPods are the best choice here but $160 is inconceivable . Thanks for your help wonderful goons!

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 7, 2017

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

buglord posted:

tl;dr cheap Bluetooth headphones for work

Budget - 50USD or less. When these inevitably find themselves in the washing machine, I don't want to cry too loudly

Source - iPhone/iThing through Bluetooth

Isolation Requirements - Isolation is nice but these will be worn during work, where it's still useful to hear outside noise.

Preferred Type: Earbuds. IEM i guess is the only other option here. I guess you could convince me to try IEM again? Maybe I had a bad experience with IEMs because they were Samsung Galaxy S3 throw-ins.

Past Headphones - Kinda irrelevant but I've used cheap IEM earbuds and they're kinda invasive in my ear canals. My EarPods from Apple have the best comfort.

Preferred Music - Nothing bass heavy. In fact, 90% of my work listening is audiobooks.

Other requests - enough battery to last an 8hr shift?

I realize the AirPods are the best choice here but $160 is inconceivable . Thanks for your help wonderful goons!

Anker Soundbud Slim. They're $20-25, don't sound terrible, decent battery life. Only "issue" is the stick out of your ears a bit. I used them for a few months before upgrading to BeatsX for my BT IEM.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Comedy option: Razer Kraken Pro V2 in bright neon green.

Just make sure to travel with the matching branded backpack so everyone knows you are a person of taste and sophistication.

Are they actually good?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Are any of the "wood" headphones good at their relative price points? Specifically in the 175 or less price range.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fyallm posted:

Are they actually good?

I don't know any gamer headsets that are actually good. Even the fancy pants Sennheiser ones are tuned for footsteps and suck for actual musical enjoyment.

Then again if all you want is a microphone with something that makes noise then they are probably fine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ddogflex posted:

Anker Soundbud Slim. They're $20-25, don't sound terrible, decent battery life. Only "issue" is the stick out of your ears a bit. I used them for a few months before upgrading to BeatsX for my BT IEM.

Thanks! $20 on amazon right now, so I spent $25 after rush shipping and taxes. Will return with an update once I play with them for a bit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Newegg is blowing out the Philips M1 Mk2 at FORTY DOLLARS which is loving insane.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138294&ignorebbr=1

if you have even the slightest interest in a pair of portable on-ears, jump the gently caress on this because these are some of the very best in that class.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Newegg is blowing out the Philips M1 Mk2 at FORTY DOLLARS which is loving insane.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138294&ignorebbr=1

if you have even the slightest interest in a pair of portable on-ears, jump the gently caress on this because these are some of the very best in that class.

The straight black pair is 49 on amazon.

How much do these actually go for? The "list" price is 299 but everyone is selling them in the 50-60 range.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Huh, looks like that's what they're going for in a lot of places, weird. Still a crazy price, they're much better than Momentum on-ears which are three times as expensive.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DancingShade posted:

I don't know any gamer headsets that are actually good. Even the fancy pants Sennheiser ones are tuned for footsteps and suck for actual musical enjoyment.

Then again if all you want is a microphone with something that makes noise then they are probably fine.

Looking for something similar to the inearpeace headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fyallm posted:

Looking for something similar to the inearpeace headphones.

I know nothing about how they sound or what you're plugging them into but just buy some IEMs that use MMCX connectors. Then buy a replaceable MMCX cable with a microphone and remote compatible with whatever your mobile device is.