Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's ridiculous. I want all those things as well, but why would I use the term "reparations" unless I'm going for click-bait or something? Using "reparations" as an umbrella term for economic-justice is disingenuous.

he said it to emphasize that racial economic injustice didn't stop with abolition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

TNC's moral universe is centered on a historical upbringing under loving black nationalism you loving morons

Nice meltdown

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

she knows her past is gonna haunt her if she doesnt take care of it now. i assume.

if she does that, she's at least very politically savvy.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nice meltdown

"TNC is a liberal" is the dumbest loving take I swear to god

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hillary pile on continues, and it feels grrrreat!

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/905870819468996608

remember the week long "The Onion is in $hillary's Pocket!" rage?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I think the most dangerous thing about this sort of rhetoric is that it creates a vulnerability in situations where the morally right thing might not also be the most efficient economically. Like, yeah, immigrants are good for the economy, but what if they weren't Kamala? Would that make you change your mind?

Like, it just so happens that stuff like providing real universal healthcare actually saves the government money, but even if didn't it would still be the moral thing to do. It's really risky to frame things in this way.

I can kind of see where this line of thought comes from (and it's not, surprisingly enough, slavish fanatical service to the Demon Capital). She's not intending to dismiss the moral dimension as unimportant, she's assuming that it's self-evident and need not be stated, and offering up the economic argument in addition to it.

The problem with this approach is that we don't live in a world where the moral dimension can be assumed to be self-evident. It's worth pointing out that, say, drug-testing welfare recipients costs way more than would be saved by denying benefits to active drug users, but only as an appendix to the much louder gently caress OFF WE ARE NOT DOING THIS UNCONSCIONABLE THING, END OF that should be our opening statement every single drat time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is all sour grapes that Coates' criticisms of Sanders were somehow unconscionable when he was running against Clinton while maintaining that criticisms of Clinton while she was running against Trump was just holding politicians accountable

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

how does this man survive on the internet

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Democrats still think that politics are amoral.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Frijolero posted:

Democrats still think that politics are amoral.

They're just 2 letters off.

Immoral.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

imho cops should be federalized and paid like 500k a year and need graduate degrees and be fired for very minor offenses like showing up late to work even once

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Calibanibal posted:

imho cops should be federalized and paid like 500k a year and need graduate degrees and be fired for very minor offenses like showing up late to work even once

same except executed

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

well execute the ones we have now obviously

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Including Trivial offenses like being late as a minor offense is a bit offensive.
Also so is centrally federalizing an authoritative force.

Replace Cops with CATs, Community Action Teams.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

Including Trivial offenses like being late as a minor offense is a bit offensive.
Also so is centrally federalizing an authoritative force.

Replace Cops with CATs, Community Action Teams.

Or with actual cats. That would be fine.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
replace cops with antifa

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

deadgoon posted:

replace cops with antifa

replace cops with tow trucks

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

docbeard posted:

Or with actual cats. That would be fine.
Only if they're from the local communities.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hot take incoming:

Cops who make less than 50k a year should be paid more, as should everyone else. This is not mutually exclusive with wanting a wholesale criminal justice reform along with policing reform, more internal affairs, and more accountability in general.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

this is all sour grapes that Coates' criticisms of Sanders were somehow unconscionable when he was running against Clinton while maintaining that criticisms of Clinton while she was running against Trump was just holding politicians accountable

Actually, they're both unconscionable.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
WJ is just mad because he's finding out that TNC is actually boring as gently caress

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
TNC is fine. But his celebrity means whatever he says gets dissected into many pieces.

I totally get why he'd withdraw from blogging and being "on" every day to focus instead on comics, books and feature articles.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile feels a lot of kinship with Coates because they're both ostensibly leftists but do absolutely nothing to advance leftist causes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
my only complaint with TNC is that he has a meandering style to his writing whereas i prefer a more direct approach

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

replace cops with tow trucks

antifa NEVER helped me when i had car trouble

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I totally get why he'd withdraw from blogging and being "on" every day to focus instead on comics, books and feature articles.

Mind you, if he was trying to get away from people obsessing over the most asinine esoteric points about the stuff he writes, comics was really not the right direction to move in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

deadgoon posted:

Gotta keep your antifAAA membership up to date, man.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/meaganmday/status/905885025597616129

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

docbeard posted:

I can kind of see where this line of thought comes from (and it's not, surprisingly enough, slavish fanatical service to the Demon Capital). She's not intending to dismiss the moral dimension as unimportant, she's assuming that it's self-evident and need not be stated, and offering up the economic argument in addition to it.

The problem with this approach is that we don't live in a world where the moral dimension can be assumed to be self-evident. It's worth pointing out that, say, drug-testing welfare recipients costs way more than would be saved by denying benefits to active drug users, but only as an appendix to the much louder gently caress OFF WE ARE NOT DOING THIS UNCONSCIONABLE THING, END OF that should be our opening statement every single drat time.

you're giving them too much credit

that line of thought is based on the assumption that the moral dimension doesn't work and isn't as good at convincing people as the economic dimension. it's built on the fundamental assumption that if liberals say "racism is bad" and conservatives say "racism is profitable", the liberals will lose and there'll be racism for everyone. it takes for granted that the conservative messaging is inherently superior, and seeks to subvert and co-opt it rather than developing their own

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
TNC is important because he puts a helluva lot of research into stuff and makes really good cases for affirmative actions and a lot of other poo poo, but I feel he stumbles on some of his prescriptions on the basis of him that racism is a Cosmic Law of the Universe as opposed to a tool of practicality. It's probably overly romantic of me to think you can argue the racism out of people (and to be fair, I think it can only be done with some, over a long period of time), but I'm not sure that automatically assuming the white man is a Fallen Creature Who Will Never Get It leads to anywhere... helpful. It may or may not be true, it's just... where do you go from there if you assume that's automatically the case? You kill the idea of a coalition from the start.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

deadgoon posted:

thats the dsa's job duh

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
lol that tnc used bernie referencing hillary's deplorable speech instead of the speech itself

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

one of the best things Bernie did during the campaign was listen to Black Lives Matter and adjust his message accordingly instead of just assuming he's right and banning dissenting opinions from everywhere.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lessail posted:

lol that tnc used bernie referencing hillary's deplorable speech instead of the speech itself

oh man the deplorables backlash was pure Clinton - she straight COULD NOT directly apologize because she's incapable of swallowing her pride when she thinks she's right (she was in this case as almost every poll shows)

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

thats the dsa's job duh

you got a short in your tail light, started blinking when you made that last turn

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

zegermans posted:

one of the best things Bernie did during the campaign was listen to Black Lives Matter and adjust his message accordingly instead of just assuming he's right and banning dissenting opinions from everywhere.

Agreed, and he did a somewhat similar thing to Vermont people raking him over the coals for supporting Israel back during the real bad West Bank bullshit by adding more poo poo defending Palestine in his speeches. As old of a man as Bernie is, he manages to be less stubborn than a lot of much younger politicians.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

zegermans posted:

oh man the deplorables backlash was pure Clinton - she straight COULD NOT directly apologize because she's incapable of swallowing her pride when she thinks she's right (she was in this case as almost every poll shows)

it's bad when bernie says all trump supporters aren't irredeemable trash, but when hillary does slay queen

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/SpringsDSA/status/905813496809480193

:wow:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Hot take incoming:

Cops who make less than 50k a year should be paid more, as should everyone else. This is not mutually exclusive with wanting a wholesale criminal justice reform along with policing reform, more internal affairs, and more accountability in general.

I've never heard of a cop making less than $70k base

• Locked thread