Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

median maximum skill rank for competitive Overwatch is somewhere around 2300 which means that technically you have a higher rank than 50% of the game's entire competitive playerbase.

And that's just competitive, so you're probably doing better than most quick play folks. Realistically you're probably in the top third or so of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kaubocks posted:

i rank between gold and plat and in my experience the chillest people are in silver

granted i mostly play quick play but i've added like four people on my friends list the past few weeks just because of how awesome they were to play with and it turned out they've all been bronze/silver

now if only quick play would stop matching me with diamond and masters players

It's the borders between where I feel people are the angriest, which sort of makes sense. It can feel like one mistake that you (or someone else) makes can cause you to go up/down and it's also where the matchmaking seems to be least effective.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Mercy mains are going insane on the PTR forum now, it's kind of hilarious.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I hope the mercy changes don't make her a requirement on all teams. I play all the other supports and I just don't like her or her new changes.

Sustaining your team with pretty constant reses is going to be something that bad people that die a lot want on their team. Its also going to be boring and tiring listening to people whine about your res decisions.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to the Mercy update, but that may be because I "main" her (in competitive thus far, at least). My QP main in D.Va is a different story, because I'm not sure how I feel about Defense Matrix being cut shorter, but giving her more offensive capabilities seems fun.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Everyone posting about placing at higher SRs than usual is getting me excited about doing my matches next weekend. :dance:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

headcase posted:

I hope the mercy changes don't make her a requirement on all teams. I play all the other supports and I just don't like her or her new changes.

Sustaining your team with pretty constant reses is going to be something that bad people that die a lot want on their team. Its also going to be boring and tiring listening to people whine about your res decisions.

Mercy's already considered a staple support at a lot of ranks. Like, there are statistically a ton of Mercy one-tricks in the game to the point where I think it's something like an 18-20% chance you wind up having at least one in any given game. It's kind of hard to see how this makeover is going to make her even more desirable than she already is to a bunch of people. The 30 second cooldown single rez will punish teams that get a pick but don't move to capitalize in it, but the new rez mechanics also force Mercy to get much closer in order to rez someone. Her ult will allow you to chain rez like 3-4 people in succession but the difference is that these rezzes are staggered instead of all at once which means that unless Mercy's team is actually getting some kills while all this is going on then they could just wind up feeding one at a time to no avail.

If anything I imagine it's more likely that the changes are viewed as a negative by a lot of diehard Mercy players because it's going to force them out of a comfort zone that's been in place for over a year.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Mercy mains are worried about having to be active instead of passive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the average mercy is gonna get way way more res' off after the change than they do now, so idk what they're worried about. the ult is like a half step away from being invulnerable anyway since you have such ridiculous movement

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Mercy mains are worried about having to be active instead of passive.

Yeah the same thing happened with the Lucio re-work. My average healing has gone up despite the massive decrease in the AOE, and I have better damage and eliminations since the change. People who just liked to wall ride 50 feet above the point got screwed.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Aside from toning down the pistol, what changes, if any, have actually been made to the new ult or Mercy in general since she first went up on test?

Also gently caress Mercy as she currently is live. Having good pushes just deleted by her, plus how frequently she can pull that ult out is just super lovely design and I'm glad it's probably disappearing forever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kokoro Wish posted:

Aside from toning down the pistol, what changes, if any, have actually been made to the new ult or Mercy in general since she first went up on test?

Also gently caress Mercy as she currently is live. Having good pushes just deleted by her, plus how frequently she can pull that ult out is just super lovely design and I'm glad it's probably disappearing forever.

They slowed down her fly speed a bit too. There's been some loving around with resurrection range too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
She also needs line of sight to rez and isn't invulnerable during, so if you just flop into the middle of red team to rez your idiot Genji you will die.

I posted this in meimeis but you can see the ptr rez range a few seconds into this clip (the second rez):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGA-ir9OuNE

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I feel like pharmercy should be much stronger with the mercy changes. Is this the case?

I just think now you're under much more pressure to kill mercy before pharah (else she just gets rezzed), which means pharah spends more time getting boosted and launching death from above. Or you'll end up having to kill pharah twice, and once is already annoying enough with a pocket mercy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Montalvo posted:

Everyone posting about placing at higher SRs than usual is getting me excited about doing my matches next weekend. :dance:

I placed lower than average (by about 300 points) with a 6-4 placement record. Usually held gold medals even in the losing games too. :iiam:

Justin_Brett posted:

Mercy mains are going insane on the PTR forum now, it's kind of hilarious.

dva mains too, it blows my mind how much some people enjoy barely participating in the video game

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have maybe more hours on D.Va than any other character and I'm 100% behind changes that reduce her reliance on defense matrix and improve her ability to be a bully. I have been harshly critical of Blizzard in the past but I sincerely hope they ignore all these people bitching about these changes instead of knee-jerking them back due to internet outcry.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759035700#post-1

We've put together a short list of the final :toot:Top 10 COPA Lúcioball rankings:toot: in our four PC gaming regions (the Americas, Europe, Asia, and China) as well on both console platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One). 

TOP 10 PLAYERS IN THE AMERICAS - PC

#1 - Jeffster#11936 - SR 4664
#2 - FattyNinjr#1947 - SR 4645
#3 - HughBenHad#11913 - SR 4610
#4 - pp7#11362 - SR 4598
#5 - Riza#11561 - SR 4598
#6 - Frosthartz#1349 - SR 4557
#7 - Bristlebane#11971 - SR 4555
#8 - Bubmcgubs#1457 - SR 4551
#9 - ViPERgames#11371 - SR 4544
#10 - Jasonfuse#1386 - SR 4525

TOP 10 PLAYERS IN EUROPE - PC

#1 - Magicantic#2713 - SR 4750
#2 - Pogge#2193 - SR 4735
#3 - Drabiny#2844 - SR 4635 
#4 - jRx#21669 - SR 4588
#5 - Skaayz#1187 - SR 4564
#6 - Skrika#21938 - SR 4551
#7 - Frogslayer#2746 - SR 4549
#8 - RedTwixy#2883 - SR 4537
#9 - Alex2704#2987 - SR 4531
#10 - SKRRSKRR#2497 - SR

:toot:

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Thinking about giving this a try again, just too bad one of the charcters I play, Roadhog, got dumpstered.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Roadhog is kind of ok again, he is just different than what he was, he has a heap of survivability now but it still sucks feeling like your hook combo is so weak

Play him in FFA deathmatch

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

EMC posted:

Roadhog is kind of ok again, he is just different than what he was, he has a heap of survivability now but it still sucks feeling like your hook combo is so weak

Play him in FFA deathmatch

I wonder how much of the "Roadhog is kind of okay again" sentiment is people trying to find the best silver lining they can whenever they hook someone and fail to do more than maybe half their health before they escape.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Hog on Chateau was a blast, it's too bad the other FFA maps feel incredibly lacking. Make them more Quake/UT like, throw some new big health packs in really open places like the large bridge on Eichenwalde.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

And that's just competitive, so you're probably doing better than most quick play folks. Realistically you're probably in the top third or so of players.

That's a pretty surreal feeling, because I don't feel like I'm very good in many cases. Still pretty cool though!

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Its kinda amazing how good Hog can be when players use him properly. Played against a Hog the other day who was effectively immortal and was destroying anyone who even looked his way due to reliably landing his hooks and using his range effectively.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've learned that I really like Orisa, myself! Something about her just pulls overextending players back and suddenly we start winning. Funny, that.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Going to guess that something could be the green orb that literally pulls players.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think hog feels pretty good. You just have to shoot twice sometimes. What works best is landing a RC then hook combo. Otherwise just shoot people that your teammates are shooting at like any other character. He can go on an absolute rampage in a big team fight.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Might have to fire Hog up again and see how it feels in comp, he was my most played character pre-original nerf and I have played McCree pretty much exclusively since. Maybe I will have mad tracking skills from McCree practice

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

resistentialism posted:

Going to guess that something could be the green orb that literally pulls players.

Green orb can't pull back bad teammates :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I wonder how much of the "Roadhog is kind of okay again" sentiment is people trying to find the best silver lining they can whenever they hook someone and fail to do more than maybe half their health before they escape.

harbleu has called hog good enough for ranked but maybe not pro play

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah I watched that video. I mean, two things qualify that statement; first is the fact that Harb is legit Just That Good that he's even been able to make use of the completely bad Roadhog to some decent effect (though he'll switch off to Zarya after a while to actually get poo poo done), and second "good enough for ranked" is a really broad and nebulous statement given how much variance in skill you see across the ranked spectrum.

I completely agree that the new Roadhog can be extremely difficult to kill, I've been in a bunch of games since the change where Hog just doesn't seem to fuckin die ever, and that's kinda neat but at the same time he still struggles to secure kills, he doesn't bust barriers like he used to (which is unfortunate), and he just doesn't seem to be any more of a threat than he used to be which means that when people spend time shooting him it's not because they're going "oh gently caress we have to kill Roadhog now now now" so much as they're going "hold on, lemme charge my ult up real quick." I'm sure he must be super frustrating to play against at lower ranks for the same reason the reworked Bastion is despite that rework being an objective downgrade, but I dunno where he fits into a team as you start climbing higher.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah... I've been trying to make hog work at my potato low-plat SR, and my general read on him is that he's no longer utterly loving useless and a throw pick like he was. He's still not a good character, and there's still at least two tanks I'd rather see on any team comp, but if you're good at Hog he can work just fine. A below-average character but not a trash one. And that's okay- every game needs characters like that.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I watched that video. I mean, two things qualify that statement; first is the fact that Harb is legit Just That Good that he's even been able to make use of the completely bad Roadhog to some decent effect (though he'll switch off to Zarya after a while to actually get poo poo done), and second "good enough for ranked" is a really broad and nebulous statement given how much variance in skill you see across the ranked spectrum.

I completely agree that the new Roadhog can be extremely difficult to kill, I've been in a bunch of games since the change where Hog just doesn't seem to fuckin die ever, and that's kinda neat but at the same time he still struggles to secure kills, he doesn't bust barriers like he used to (which is unfortunate), and he just doesn't seem to be any more of a threat than he used to be which means that when people spend time shooting him it's not because they're going "oh gently caress we have to kill Roadhog now now now" so much as they're going "hold on, lemme charge my ult up real quick." I'm sure he must be super frustrating to play against at lower ranks for the same reason the reworked Bastion is despite that rework being an objective downgrade, but I dunno where he fits into a team as you start climbing higher.

Yeah with the addition of Orisa (and people getting good with her) and Winston's barrier changes, it really helps to have a solid barrier buster and Hog is just not that. D.Va's damage nerf also pushed her from being a top shield breaker to middle of the pack

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Bastions a good shield breaker... Oh wait you mean heroes actually worth playing, sorry. (I wish Bastion saw more play)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I guess Junkrat sort of counts as a shieldbuster :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Keeping a shield up against a junkrat is loving horrid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

Keeping a shield up against a junkrat is loving horrid.

Yeah I wasn't even being facetious there, he still has a number of weaknesses but if someone's playing a barrier comp of sorts he might not be the worst choice, especially with the improved Riptire and double mines.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tell me about Doomfist. I haven't played since back before they introduced him.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

He was super good and countered Genji pretty well. He even forced people to play off-meta characters like McCree (his hardest counter IMO) just to counter him. People bitched hard enough and now he is super bad and worse than nerfed Roadhog.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

support players complain about how OP he is, anyone with a gun thinks he sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

there secret is he's really good at getting one kill before immediately dying so of course he's gonna get the support first