Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No wait, ROCKINGHAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The correct answer is Bowman Gray Stadium

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Sears Point backwards

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Where SHOULD it be? North Wilkesboro.

Where WILL it? Vegas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should race at Pacific Raceways, so I can go.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

big nipples big life posted:

Where should the final race of the year be after Homestead gets leveled this weekend?

talladega

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

big nipples big life posted:

Where should the final race of the year be after Homestead gets leveled this weekend?

Lake Homestead.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Where SHOULD it be? North Wilkesboro.

Yes.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Same, but Thompson, CT.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

Harveygod posted:

Same, but Thompson, CT.

Move Talladega's race to the season finale, add Cup to The World Series (Mods still get top billing though).

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hell same. That or do that Tacoma street course because that was a thing for Winston West in the 80s. But my serious post would California since it's actually a good track.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
look let's just be honest with ourselves

it's gonna be Charlotte

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

it's gonna be Charlotte

Charlotte road course

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

it's gonna be Charlotte

Make it the Legends Oval and you've got a deal.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

it's gonna be Charlotte

I don't know if they'd run cup on a dirt track

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Starting next season, NASCAR Cup teams will have to use 13 engines during the year for two full race weekends -- the engines will be sealed so between races they can't tamper with the engine block, crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods and pistons. Also, engines used at Talladega in October will be sealed and must be used again in the preseason race at Daytona next February.

Mmhmm.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 8, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
this thread liked IROC right

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Well limiting engines in F1 has been such a disaster no doubt it'll work out just fine in Nascar.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

njsykora posted:

Well limiting engines in F1 has been such a disaster no doubt it'll work out just fine in Nascar.

well as long as we don't see Honda being brought in as a manufacturer maybe we'll be ok

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not to mention I don't think a NASCAR engine is anywhere near as complex as an F1 engine.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

Not to mention I don't think a NASCAR engine is anywhere near as complex as an F1 engine.

not really, no, though they have some pretty advanced metals in them

they run crates all season long at OCFS, substantially shorter race length but then again repeated heat cycles are no bueno

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
if you think of them like a watch, an F1 engine is like a smart watch that has all the latest and greatest features and a NASCAR engine is like a newly built mechanical pocket watch

both are incredibly advanced, but in different ways, a NASCAR V8 is the continued refinement of an old design and it's not the design that's impressive, it's the fine tolerances and continued whittling away at imperfections in the system

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think NASCAR's justification here is "it's a cost saving measure in response to the sponsor crunch". F1's is "We want to improve reliability so they can translate it to road cars!"

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

I think NASCAR's justification here is "it's a cost saving measure in response to the sponsor crunch". F1's is "We want to improve reliability so they can translate it to road cars!"

For F1, why? Mercedes is building a car around that engine but the others don't really have a comparable engine to the F1 engine. Then you look at Honda blowing an engine and getting 70 grid spot penalties. Could only take a few things from that engine and put it elsewhere but nothing to gain. NASCAR I can understand since it's reiteration of an engine from at least 4 decades ago. This point, endurance of that engine is pretty easy to obtain... though I would like to be wrong and see these teams having to have a challenge to have a lot of power but back it off enough to not blow the engine by halfway into the 2nd race. But cost saving certainly, it's one more thing they can try saving cost on is a fleet of engines.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why doesn't nascar just let them have more displacement then they can lower the rpms. Is this not how it works? 500 ci with turbos. I am sure you can get 850 hp out of that and make it somewhat reliable.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can Kyle Busch please die

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Can Kyle Busch please die

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Elephanthead posted:

Why doesn't nascar just let them have more displacement then they can lower the rpms. Is this not how it works? 500 ci with turbos. I am sure you can get 850 hp out of that and make it somewhat reliable.

turbos are a lot of complexity, roots superchargers instead

there's a reason offshore powerboat use them

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

turbos are a lot of complexity, roots superchargers instead

there's a reason offshore powerboat did use them

Fixed that for ya

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

Fixed that for ya

still do, I was the guy responsible for writing them up and posting them on the internet when they came into the auction

the only company that makes an out of the box turbo to my knowledge is Mercury with the 1350 and 1650, and those things coupled with the drives to use them cost in the low six figures

if you want another brand you gotta go to a place like Nelson Racing Engines

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

this thread liked IROC right

Viking, know I like you.

I loving love IROC.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Elitist Bitch posted:

Viking, know I like you.

I loving love IROC.

well, good news!

it's coming back

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I only support a resurgence of IROC if they race the trans ams on a CORR track.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Bring back the Dodge Daytona, which was the best IROC :colbert:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Bring back the Dodge Daytona, which was the best IROC :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOajIx4078

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the Avenger was not nearly as cool as the Daytona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoas2CkTT0

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Stage one of Richmond review - loving awful

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Toyota should stop cheating

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003