Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why are people worried about Atlanta? Once it hits land doesn't it dissipate pretty quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Every six months I forget whether I am supposed to rape or not, thankfully we have that training

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Let's not pretend anything about the military's anti-rape efforts have been in good faith or effective.

what?

Wait, is the JQP blog satire and I missed it? These headlines are loving hilarious.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The whole thing is a mess.

Edit: Here's a real news article.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 8, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

KildarX posted:

Why are people worried about Atlanta? Once it hits land doesn't it dissipate pretty quickly?

Usually. Not always.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also any guy whose life is "ruined" by rape accusations was probably acting in a rapey way even if they don't realize it. Yes, there is a rare case of false accusation, but that is by and far a statistical outlier and policy should never be governed by the outliers.
Yikes. "Unintentionally acting rapey" (whatever that means) is not a criminal offense, nor should it be grounds for derailing someone's academic career. The assertion that the vast majority of accusations of sexual assault are true is not well supported either:

quote:

In a 2015 working paper, Lieutenant Colonel Reggie Yager, a U.S. Air Force judge advocate who has defended men accused of sexual assault, took a comprehensive look at the research on the incidence of false rape reports, and concluded that the studies confirming the overwhelming veracity of accusers are methodologically unsound.

For instance, consider Yager’s analysis of a 2010 study titled “False Allegations of Sexual Assault: An Analysis of Ten Years of Reported Cases.” The study is one of the few to examine false reports with specific reference to campus allegations, and is frequently cited by government officials and activists. David Lisak, a former associate professor of psychology at UMass Boston and a prominent consultant on campus sexual assault, is the lead author; when he and his co-authors reviewed the reports of sexual assault at one northeastern university to determine what percentage were false, they concluded that the figure was not quite 6 percent. “Over 90 percent of reports of rape are not fabrications. They’re not false allegations,” he said in a videotaped interview describing the research.

Yager writes, however, that about 45 percent of the cases Lisak reviewed did not proceed because there was insufficient evidence, or the complainant withdrew from the process or couldn’t identify the perpetrator, or the allegation did not rise to the level of a sexual assault. In other words, no one could possibly determine whether these claims were true or false.

“Policy is being driven,” Yager wrote in his analysis, by the idea “that false allegations are exceedingly rare.” But we simply don’t know how rare they are. What’s more, no legal or moral system purporting to be just can make presumptions about individual cases based on statistics. For many years, feminist activists have said that the legal system and culture tend to prejudge assault claims, with an inclination toward believing men over women, accused over accuser. They have rightly pointed out the deep injustice of that bias. But it is also unjust to be biased against the accused.
That's not even getting in to the fact that a lot of campus sexual assault policies condemn what would be considered normal sexual play as most adults experience it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Agreed. JQP blog headlines are really funny though.

Will Reality Winner Walk Because of FBI "Mistake"?

Quick Hit: Dumb Article Stereotypes Entire Generation of Warriors

Quick Hit: Bean Counters Finally Start Turning Against Military Band Waste

Officer Dismissed Over Consensual Friendship

Air Force Still Improperly Firing Squadron Commanders

30 Days After Appellate Ruling, Air Force Continues Wrongful Imprisonment of MSgt. Mike Silva

Debunking the Mythical Narrative of the Lackland Scandal

I cannot tell if this blog is satire or not, send help.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's definitely a blog rather than a real journalistic source, but they bring attention to some institutional oddities.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's a libertarian. His brain doesn't work lile a normal person's.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There sure are a lot of blog posts about how too many rapists are getting charged with rape and too many sexual abusers get fired for sexual abuse.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

reworked an old thing from the internet

quote:

HURRICANE IRMA FINAL ADVISORY NUMBER 666
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
0200 AM SUN SEP 9 2017

A MASSIVE HURRICANE, NEY, A TITANIC BLACK MASS OF DESTRUCTION, BORN OF THE COLD, EVIL WOMB OF MOTHER NATURE, WILL RENDER MUCH OF COASTAL AND INLAND FLORIDA A BARREN WASTELAND. IRMA IS COMING.

SUCH IS THE POWER OF THIS STORM, IF INDEED, ANYTHING DISPENSING THIS AMOUNT OF HUMAN SUFFERING CAN BE CALLED A STORM.

THE STORM SURGE, ONCE PREDICTED AT 17 FEET, WILL NOW REACH UNHEARD OF HEIGHTS. IF WILL BE AS IF THE OCEAN ITSELF HAS VACATED IT'S VAST PRISON, SHAKING LOOSE HER CHAINS, AND LAYING ITSELF PRONE ATOP THE CITIES OF MAN. THE LAST VESTIGES OF IT'S BONDAGE SINKING ALL THAT LIES IN IT'S PATH.

ALL STRUCTURES WITHING A 100 MILE RADIUS WILL SUFFER DEVASTATING EFFECTS. WOOD WILL SPLINTER, CONCRETE WILL BECOME DUST. THE FOUNDATIONS WILL BE THE STARK REMNANTS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE IN THESE AREAS. TREES WILL BECOME UPROOTED AND CARRIED MILES BY WINDS THAT WILL BLAST THE VERY SKIN FROM ANYONE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO REMAIN OUTSIDE. BUT THEY WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES...THE FIRST TO DIE. FOR A MUCH GREATER MISERY AWAITS THOSE THAT SURVIVE.

AMIDST THIS MIRE OF CARNAGE, THE FEW SURVIVORS WILL WALLOW IN A SOUP OF DEATH AND DESPAIR, AS THEY FACE GRIM ODDS. FEW STRUCTURES WILL EXIST, AND FOOD AND WATER WILL BE MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD. AS CORPSES OF HUMANS AND ANIMALS ROT, DYSENTERY AND MALARIA WILL BEGIN THEIR MACABRE DANCE AMONG THOSE REMAINING AND MANY WILL BE FORCED TO CONSUME ONE ANOTHER TO LIVE ONE FINAL DAY.

ENTIRE GENERATIONS WILL PERISH, AND THE HURRICANE WILL CREEP INTO LEGEND. IT WILL BE A SIN TO EVEN CALL ITS NAME ALOUD, THE VERY EXISTENCE OF THIS EVENT BEING SPOKEN OF IN HUSHED TONES, AND REVERED BY THOSE WHO SEE IT AS JUDGMENT. IRMA IS HERE. IRMA IS HERE. IRMA IS HERE. IRMA IS HERE. IRMA IS H

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Edit: Here's a real news article.

Silva may well be 100% innocent, I don't know, but a couple things:

1. I'll wait til more real news comes out.
2. yeesh, JQP has a real obsession with pointing out how all these dumb fake rape victims sure are ruining the careers of good men
3. This is what you cited as a "real news source?"

Again, Silva may be entirely innocent, but this splash is like reading a NAMBLA account of why Michael Jackson was a super cool and good person, because he wasn't ever convicted.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
current event: gently caress the pats

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hot Karl Marx posted:

:same:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hot Karl Marx posted:

forever and always

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

:yeah:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Last flight outta Miami ain't cheap.

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/905498075011190785

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I love the patriots because people irrationally hate the patriots.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love that even libertarians can't defend this poo poo along with the rest of the disaster price gouging examples. The same number of people get to fly out no matter what price they pay. I saw one guy on reddit give a valiant effort by claiming that this is better because people would buy the capped $99 JetBlue tickets on "speculation" and scalp them, but it turned out that JetBlue doesn't allow ticket transfers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I love that even libertarians can't defend this poo poo along with the rest of the disaster price gouging examples. The same number of people get to fly out no matter what price they pay. I saw one guy on reddit give a valiant effort by claiming that this is better because people would buy the capped $99 JetBlue tickets on "speculation" and scalp them, but it turned out that JetBlue doesn't allow ticket transfers.

United blamed a "computer error" while Delta is doing the JetBlue thing.

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/905804978056568832

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If a flight is "full" of "discounted" fares they'll happily sell you a full fare Y ticket that costs enough to cover the fines for an involuntary boarding denial. :capitalism:

(I bet that purchase wouldn't go through though)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I love the patriots because people irrationally hate the patriots.

This but also because I grew up watching them.

Also, our fanbase tends to be garbage. Then again, so are most fanbases.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The one thing all right-thinking Americans can agree on :911:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna need this in Grover-Haus form

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lol @ people linking JQP. Dude gets pissy if he reads a story about a squadron holding a morale event/BBQ.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

Lol @ people linking JQP. Dude gets pissy if he reads a story about a squadron holding a morale event/BBQ.

Especially if the sexual harassment case at the party gets in trouble.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm yeah drink some pool water baby that's when the party really gets going

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Man I thought the day I got my DD214 was the last day I would have to hear about people getting the STD-swizzle-stick treatment, now America's dong is getting it. Pretty sure I know the results on this one, Russia's been loving us raw for awhile now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
DOJ is now supporting a Baker who refused to bake a cake for gays.

Joy.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ame-Sex+Couples

https://twitter.com/ZackFord/status...ame_sex_couples

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CommieGIR posted:

DOJ is now supporting a Baker who refused to bake a cake for gays.

Joy.

https://twitter.com/ZackFord/status...ame_sex_couples

JFC

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
EPA chief on Irma: The time to talk climate change isn't now

loving :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/07/politics/scott-pruitt-hurricanes-climate-change-interview/index.html

EPA to be renamed EDA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Silva may well be 100% innocent, I don't know, but a couple things:

1. I'll wait til more real news comes out.
2. yeesh, JQP has a real obsession with pointing out how all these dumb fake rape victims sure are ruining the careers of good men
3. This is what you cited as a "real news source?"

Again, Silva may be entirely innocent, but this splash is like reading a NAMBLA account of why Michael Jackson was a super cool and good person, because he wasn't ever convicted.

This guy's story isn't going to make the NYT. It's in the various service times as well, but that's about as much coverage as you're going to see.

His convictions were thrown out because of poo poo evidence. That's as close to an innocence declaration as you're going to get, and yeah his life is pretty much hosed anyway. And no, none of this is like a nambla blog, what the gently caress? It's biased mediocre journalism, nothing worse, and nothing that discredits that the service is dragging this guy through the mud for every minute they can get away with it.

Edit: His conviction was set aside, with a rehearing authorized. But most of the evidence they presented was inadmissible, so that should make for a shorter one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 8, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

This guy's story isn't going to make the NYT. It's in the various service times as well, but that's about as much coverage as you're going to see.

His convictions were thrown out because of poo poo evidence. That's as close to an innocence declaration as you're going to get, and yeah his life is pretty much hosed anyway. And no, none of this is like a nambla blog, what the gently caress? It's biased mediocre journalism, nothing worse, and nothing that discredits that the service is dragging this guy through the mud for every minute they can get away with it.

How do you think this stacks up against the institutionally protected perpetrators of sexual violence and unwanted sexual aggression in the military?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think that's a poo poo question because it's not either/or. People getting away with it is obviously atrocious, but treating the accused like the convicted is also kinda not cool.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Kawasaki Nun posted:

How do you think this stacks up against the institutionally protected perpetrators of sexual violence and unwanted sexual aggression in the military?

Are you retarded?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

EPA chief on Irma: The time to talk climate change isn't now

loving :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/07/politics/scott-pruitt-hurricanes-climate-change-interview/index.html

EPA to be renamed EDA

"The time in which we're experiencing the consequences of our actions is absolutely not the time to discuss altering our actions"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The one is a terrible substitute for the other, and shame on the AF for trying to conflate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

• Locked thread