Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Of course. Of loving course.

You know that guy in The Birds who raises his glass and says, definitively, "It's the end of the world"? I'm that guy.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/905972054167617536

Another interesting and informative article from the times. From 2015. These guys sound familiar?

quote:

The Columbian Chemicals hoax was not some simple prank by a bored sadist. It was a highly coordinated disinformation campaign, involving dozens of fake accounts that posted hundreds of tweets for hours, targeting a list of figures precisely chosen to generate maximum attention. The perpetrators didn’t just doctor screenshots from CNN; they also created fully functional clones of the websites of Louisiana TV stations and newspapers. The YouTube video of the man watching TV had been tailor-made for the project. A Wikipedia page was even created for the Columbian Chemicals disaster, which cited the fake YouTube video. As the virtual assault unfolded, it was complemented by text messages to actual residents in St. Mary Parish. It must have taken a team of programmers and content producers to pull off.

And the hoax was just one in a wave of similar attacks during the second half of last year. On Dec. 13, two months after a handful of Ebola cases in the United States touched off a minor media panic, many of the same Twitter accounts used to spread the Columbian Chemicals hoax began to post about an outbreak of Ebola in Atlanta. The campaign followed the same pattern of fake news reports and videos, this time under the hashtag #EbolaInAtlanta, which briefly trended in Atlanta. Again, the attention to detail was remarkable, suggesting a tremendous amount of effort. A YouTube video showed a team of hazmat-suited medical workers transporting a victim from the airport. Beyoncé’s recent single “7/11” played in the background, an apparent attempt to establish the video’s contemporaneity. A truck in the parking lot sported the logo of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

On the same day as the Ebola hoax, a totally different group of accounts began spreading a rumor that an unarmed black woman had been shot to death by police. They all used the hashtag #shockingmurderinatlanta. Here again, the hoax seemed designed to piggyback on real public anxiety; that summer and fall were marked by protests over the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. In this case, a blurry video purports to show the shooting, as an onlooker narrates. Watching it, I thought I recognized the voice — it sounded the same as the man watching TV in the Columbian Chemicals video, the one in which ISIS supposedly claims responsibility. The accent was unmistakable, if unplaceable, and in both videos he was making a very strained attempt to sound American. Somehow the result was vaguely Australian.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I choose to believe that this is a photoshop because otherwise-

:stonk: NO DUMBASS. There, I wrote the whole article.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

loving hell.

This is the worst timeline.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/905948569357733894

The most bourgeois of dissents.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I haven't seen much talk of houston here, I assume it's going about as well as it could there?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

It's real but the camera angle doesn't show you the fact that they're on the opposite side of the Columbia river - which isn't exactly narrow

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Let's just have every America problem all at once this weekend, yeah? Throw a terrorist attack in there?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tarantula posted:

I haven't seen much talk of houston here, I assume it's going about as well as it could there?

It's still pretty flooded in places, traffic is an even worse nightmare than normal, and the stores are still somewhat understocked in certain things. Also, Amazon '2 day' shipping claims a delivery date of 9/15 but that's a bougie as hell complaint.

But otherwise it's mostly fine if you were fine, or your house is still flooded and wrecked. A lot of the flooding has receded though, and things are slowly getting better. It was worse south of us.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KickerOfMice posted:

NOPE! It's a screengrab from a video. I saw it yesterday or the day before, don't have a link handy sorry.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is this the one that was projected to head up the east coast to gently caress up the northeast?

Who was the wise guy that taught nature about divide and conquer?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

empty whippet box posted:

Let's just have every America problem all at once this weekend, yeah? Throw a terrorist attack in there?
That wasn't even 30 days ago.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/905973627111301124

Looks like police shot someone.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

xrunner posted:

It's real but the camera angle doesn't show you the fact that they're on the opposite side of the Columbia river - which isn't exactly narrow

Holy poo poo...my wife's family had a little vacation cabin just up the road from that golf course. We just sold it last year. Lucky us.:stare:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KickerOfMice posted:

Actually it's perfectly safe to eat raw chicken in a lot of the world. It's only when you scale up chicken farming up past a certain point that salmonella becomes an unfixable fact of life that you just have to accept is always likely present. Past that it just comes down to "should people be allowed to eat food I think is gross".

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Freeze your credit:

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp
http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/preventing-fraud/security-freeze/
https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze
https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

coyo7e posted:

That wasn't even 30 days ago.

gently caress me it wasn't was it. Seems so much longer ago.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Galveston was wiped off the map by a hurricane about 100 years ago. They rebuilt it.

Uh... not quite.

Before 1900, Galveston was the largest city west of the Mississippi.

After the hurricane flattened it, everyone fled.

Today it's basically little more than a tourist spot.

So yeah, "they rebuilt it" isn't entirely accurate.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Okay all caught up, IronStache owns, do not eat raw chicken ever you dumbasses, and Tammy Duckworth for president - there is not a single grain of jest in that last statement. :colbert:

OOC I know more about food than you and it's not 'eww I think that's gross.'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So uh.... what does this actually do?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rex-Goliath posted:

So uh.... what does this actually do?

Stops somebody from using your name and ssn to get credit lines

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here is some incredible heroism by Delta Airlines

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Actually it's perfectly safe to eat raw chicken in a lot of the world. It's only when you scale up chicken farming up past a certain point that salmonella becomes an unfixable fact of life that you just have to accept is always likely present. Past that it just comes down to "should people be allowed to eat food I think is gross".

So you've never heard of campylobacter then? One of the most common pathogens found in raw chicken? And pretty much found worldwide? Like, why would you weigh in without glancing at the article, while also not knowing what you're talking about in the first place?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

Holy poo poo...my wife's family had a little vacation cabin just up the road from that golf course. We just sold it last year. Lucky us.:stare:

The Washington side is fine. It's the Oregon side that's burning. It's going to look weird driving down 84 though - with one side still verdant and the other charred to hell.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

enraged_camel posted:

Uh... not quite.

After the hurricane flattened it, everyone fled.

Today it's basically little more than a tourist spot.

So yeah, "they rebuilt it" isn't entirely accurate.

Not to mention Ike further wrecked Galveston. When I left Galveston in 2014, there were still large parts of the city in disrepair. The more expensive area of Galveston, like near Moody Mansion, were repaired but anything beyond that was a poo poo hole.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am normally fascinated by OOCC food derails, but if the raw chicken one becomes a thing, I am going to barf, so if you consider participating, please have a debate about which kind of milk is the best instead (it's whole).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

xrunner posted:

The Washington side is fine. It's the Oregon side that's burning. It's going to look weird driving down 84 though - with one side still verdant and the other charred to hell.

I had heard that it jumped the river at one of the narrower points, but the damage may be minimal. I'm hoping.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

KidDynamite posted:

loving hell.

This is the worst timeline.

I'm telling you, if God's alive, he mad as poo poo at the US.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
trump...is black

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Liu posted:

trump...is black

That's not true!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Is innovis new?

Never heard it before, I thought there were just the Big Three.

Also should I get my yearly report first and then freeze, or freeze and get a report.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I'm telling you, if God's alive, he mad as poo poo at the US.

If that's the case he's a passive aggressive pos who is unable to talk and explain poo poo and would rather harm countless people for kicks. Oh wait that's sounds like Trump. Oh wait things are worse now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

the affected terminal is all international flights

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

KickerOfMice posted:

That's not true!

Verrit number?

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/905949975586238464

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/905972609044672512

Retirement season in the House. This could have a large impact on lessening the structural advantage of the Republicans.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

farraday posted:

Verrit number?

Retirement season in the House. This could have a large impact on lessening the structural advantage of the Republicans.

Tired of winning before we even hit October. Sad.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Is that getting traction at all or what?

I'm looking at it now and it looks like somebody threw a bucket of twitter at a wall.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

farraday posted:

Verrit number?

What do house retirements mean? Are they leaving their seat or are they not going to seek re-election?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

But it was like a tenth the size of St Louis?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zoro posted:

What do house retirements mean? Are they leaving their seat or are they not going to seek re-election?

after the house has worked a long adult life and invested modestly it usually has the opportunity to move to Florida and become a condominium before being recycled into upused restaurant decor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Re: verrit - I understand slimline design, and appreciate simplicity, but a menu or something would be nice. How does one sign up for this... thing?

e- I do not understand what Verrit is.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 8, 2017

• Locked thread