Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I started out w/ sql compact but now I need multiple hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the forums db hides posts all the time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shaggar posted:

the forums db hides posts all the time
Evidently not enough of them.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I just need something to store like 5 columns worth of data in a reliable, shared way and I didn't want to spin up a sql server for it.

so what specific awful stuff are you running into with dynamo?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

I just need something to store like 5 columns worth of data in a reliable, shared way and I didn't want to spin up a sql server for it.

just throw it up on that sql server instance that hosts all the miscellaneous dbs that no one really cares about wtbd

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

should i build this standalone, command line exe in f# just because?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FamDav posted:

so what specific awful stuff are you running into with dynamo?

its just gross to use a schemaless "database". it takes longer to develop with cause you have to manually handle all the validation and enforcement that a schema normally does. you also cant discover a schema so you have to basically document it externally which is totally stupid and error prone.

its not a dynamo db problem, its a schemaless NoSQL problem.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 7, 2017

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

and i'm sure you've learned your lesson

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HoboMan posted:

should i build this standalone, command line exe in f# just because?

yes

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I keep trying to convince management to write new web services in F#.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
f# is definitely worth a look once .net core gets better support for it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

its not a dynamo db problem, its a schemaless NoSQL problem.
this so much. it's such a stupid idea

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i looked at the atari sdk and fixed my problem

atari's solution

code:
*A1_BASE = (long)dest;
now I can made solid-color rectangles with the blitter. next step: jagged diagonal lines

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
checking in from hell. i have to make HTML emails that work in Outlook and i want to die so badly

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

schranz kafka posted:

checking in from hell. i have to make HTML emails that work in Outlook and i want to die so badly
can you define "work"? because you don't need to follow any strict formatting, you can just stick html tags in there and call it a day

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Work" probably means "be pixel-perfect because Creative doesn't know how to design emails conservatively so email clients don't poo poo themselves."

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
one of our data providers changed the format of their files. last time i checked they were using the terrible oracle dba's favorite format: a sort-of csv but with pipes instead of commas, and no quoting/escaping rules. well i guess they ran into a situation with pipes in the data? so instead of using a well specified format, it's still kinda-csv, but with '~' (3 characters) as the comma and #@#@# as the newline :what:

the provider is a household name and major player in the financial industry :shepicide:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: <<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cis autodrag posted:

c tp s: <<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

these monads are getting out of control

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Xarn posted:

Agreed, I keep my stashing to when I need to change branches/synchronize with upstream.

Also, this is still going to be one big commit, but I cleaned up what gets committed a bit:

what i've generally found was PRs above a certain threshold of lines changed are just confusing, and the feedback received is more superficial (e.g. stylistic comments) than substantial (e.g. architectural comments). i basically try to never make PRs over ~150 lines, even if that means features are launched in a turned-off state.

semi-related, a good way to find out if you are breaking down your tasks enough is if all/the majority if your tasks are estimated at 0.5 - 1 points

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i kind of want to use azure sql or cosmos db for this thing but everything else currently lives in aws

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pie Colony posted:

even if that means features are launched in a turned-off state.

yeah that's great but good luck getting it to fly in agile land. my solution is to make a feature branch and then do PRs into that branch. which works ok.

i always try to do sit down code reviews for large changes. it's the only way to get people to engage.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah that's great but good luck getting it to fly in agile land. my solution is to make a feature branch and then do PRs into that branch. which works ok.

i always try to do sit down code reviews for large changes. it's the only way to get people to engage.

feature switches are totally compatible with agile methods, though. shipped doesn't have to mean enabled.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i kind of want to use azure sql or cosmos db for this thing but everything else currently lives in aws

doesn't azure have a ms sql server hosting service just for people like you?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

CPColin posted:

"Work" probably means "be pixel-perfect because Creative doesn't know how to design emails conservatively so email clients don't poo poo themselves."

it is this. since i work in a design studio, everything looks really nice but who loving cares about email? designers do. god loving drat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jony neuemonic posted:

feature switches are totally compatible with agile methods, though. shipped doesn't have to mean enabled.

yeah, for some reason i took what they were saying to mean "featured flagged because it's broken" and not "feature flagged because it's incomplete"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

these monads are getting out of control

monads in the lightning, in the lightning, in the rain

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

schranz kafka posted:

schranz kafka posted:

it is this. since i work in a design studio, everything looks really nice but who loving cares about email? designers do. god loving drat

ask them if they ever open their email from an iphone. html sucks balls

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Atari Jaguar Software Reference posted:

A two-dimensional array of pixels is stored in memory as a linear array of phrases. This will usually be the data field of a bit-mapped object. The Blitter has to know the width of this window of pixels. As an address in the window, in pixel terms, is given by the X pointer plus the width times the Y pointer, a multiply operation is necessary to compute the address. To avoid the need for a hardware multiplier in the Blitter address generator, the width is rather strangely encoded.

Blitter window width is expressed as a floating-point number. The actual value has a four-bit exponent and a three-bit mantissa, whose top bit is implicit. This allows Blitter window widths to be any value whose binary form has no more than three significant digits followed by some number of zeroes.

As an example, here are how various window widths encode:

code:
Value	Binary		Floating-point	Encoded
20	000000010100	1.01 x 2^4	0100 01
80	000001010000	1.01 x 2^6	0110 01
128	000010000000	1.00 x 2^7	0111 00
640	001010000000	1.01 x 2^9	1011 01
3584	111000000000	1.11 x 2^11	1011 11

:psyboom:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my mongo to postgres talk went good. i outlined why i thought dumping mongo was mission critical, showed that by defining top level fields as columns and nested entities as jsonb columns we don't need to change our DAOs (if we don't want to), and outlined the popular sql libraries. then i demo'd a working portion of the application. afterwards i thanked the CTO for giving me a full sprint to work on it with no oversight.

btw the best scala sql library ended up being doobie. it is far and away the best. it's just a wrapper around the jdbc that offers some useful helpers for building up sql strings (parameterization, joining optional WHERE ANDS, etc). also mega awesome is the fact that it will type check your queries against a real schema if you expose them properly in your tests. it's wonderful.

the bad part is that doobie somehow breaks your IDE (ensime, intellij) so that they think your code is invalid which is so loving stupid that it almost completely invalidates the good stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

doesn't azure have a ms sql server hosting service just for people like you?

yeah azure sql

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ask them if they ever open their email from an iphone. html sucks balls

they do, and we have to use Litmus for testing, and outlook is the worst poo poo of all of them. i'm using foundation framework for emails which is making it slightly less horrible, but not by much

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yeah azure sql
Is this single-user?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

So they had to have the width be six bits wide, and they felt they wanted to be able to express widths up to 57344 in it, but to be unable to have a width of 9?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

John Big Booty posted:

Is this single-user?

no. its sql server but with a few restrictions like no cross db stuff.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shaggar posted:

no. its sql server but with a few restrictions like no cross db stuff.
Well then you're screwed. An honorable death is all you can hope for.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Zemyla posted:

So they had to have the width be six bits wide, and they felt they wanted to be able to express widths up to 57344 in it, but to be unable to have a width of 9?

this is for bitmap widths yes. no 9-pixel bitmaps for you apparently

i did figure out how to program the blitter to draw me some diagonal lines, NO BRESENHAM NEEDED. gonna try to port it over to the GPU later :toot:

actually the blitter is pretty easy to set up for line drawing. all you need is a starting point, a Q15 fixed-point slope, and the Y-axis distance so it knows when to stop. a lot easier than setting up the amiga blitter to do the same thing, which was one of the design goals. they figured faster blitter setup periods would mean increased real-world pixel throughput.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

btw the best scala sql library ended up being doobie. it is far and away the best.

doobie??? sequel???? :getin:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zemyla posted:

it sounds more like the floating-point multiplier was easier to implement in the hardware (just a shifter and a three-way adder) than a full-on integer multiplier would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

it sounds more like the floating-point multiplier was easier to implement in the hardware (just a shifter and a three-way adder) than a full-on integer multiplier would have been.

Hmm? Explain, I'm curious. Always assumed FP alus were horribly complex beasts

fake edit: what happens if you feed it a stray cat denormal or other such weird input

• Locked thread