Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Anyone use MSI Afterburner and rivatuner and is on the insider builds?

Every time a build updates I have to reinstall the afterburner/rivatuner package because rivatuner starts giving me an error on startup. I know this is just the kind of thing to expect with beta builds, and I've just dealt with it for the most part (the reason I now even care enough to ask is because there have been so many new builds lately. Didn't one come out like only two days after the last?)

Does there happen to be a solution to this? A setting I'm missing that keeps it from dying between builds? I should have wrote down the exact error, but I'll get it next time there's a new build if it does it again.

Also, did someone mention something about cheap ebay Office key? Edit: nvm it was just as stupid simple as getting a Windows key.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

I really like Everything Search: https://www.voidtools.com/

If you replace the Start Menu with Classic shell, it's search seems to work pretty well. I have no idea about Cortana though.

Seconding this recommendation; I've been using it for years.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Seconding this recommendation; I've been using it for years.

Its amazing how this application can instantly search a whole computer for ANYTHING but the windows search takes hours to index stuff and just won't find certain file types. MS should buy the company or something.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

redeyes posted:

Its amazing how this application can instantly search a whole computer for ANYTHING but the windows search takes hours to index stuff and just won't find certain file types. MS should buy the company or something.

The Windows 7 Start menu search was excellent, they have just made the search UI much worse in the past 8 years.

Jesus, Windows 7 was released 8 years ago. Where has life gone...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I just wish there was a good way to integrate 3rd party software like that into the task bar :/

Just some way to replace that awful Windows search. I like being able to quickly just start typing from my task bar though and not have to load another program.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BrainDance posted:

I just wish there was a good way to integrate 3rd party software like that into the task bar :/

Just some way to replace that awful Windows search. I like being able to quickly just start typing from my task bar though and not have to load another program.

You can integrate 'everything' with 'launchy' such that you can search from a simple keyboard shortcut.
Set everything as a runner in launchy with
code:
-s " $$

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes posted:

Windows Search is powered by Bing now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Khablam posted:

You can integrate 'everything' with 'launchy' such that you can search from a simple keyboard shortcut.
Set everything as a runner in launchy with
code:
-s " $$

Two questions:
  1. When I try this (assuming the right way to invoke the runner is to get it to show up in Launchy and hit tab), I get a pop-up from everything that says "Unable to open file list: C:\Program Files\Everything\<search term> is not a valid file list." What's this about and how do I fix it?
  2. Is there a way to set up everything so I don't have to grant it admin privileges each time I do this? I already have it running on startup and click the prompt then.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I upgraded my windows 10 (well, windows upgraded for me) to the creator's update, and immediately my 2nd monitor starts causing me issues (when its plugged in I get various BSOD, either MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION or CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT). Seemingly no issues if I just keep the 2nd monitor unplugged. Haven't tried playing games yet. Thoughts? I guess there's no easy way to roll back to pre-creator's update?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
windows 7 search worked just fine... why did they go and remove .exe's from my downloads directory or a ~/bin directory in my path... it's so stupid. Like, fine make it an option for non-fucktwits but jesus don't hard code this function out of the OS you god drat train wreck

astral
Apr 26, 2004

an skeleton posted:

I upgraded my windows 10 (well, windows upgraded for me) to the creator's update, and immediately my 2nd monitor starts causing me issues (when its plugged in I get various BSOD, either MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION or CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT). Seemingly no issues if I just keep the 2nd monitor unplugged. Haven't tried playing games yet. Thoughts? I guess there's no easy way to roll back to pre-creator's update?

Have you already attempted to update (or downgrade, if updating them doesn't work) your display driver? Bonus points for the "clean install" option if the driver installer allows it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hooah posted:

Two questions:
  1. When I try this (assuming the right way to invoke the runner is to get it to show up in Launchy and hit tab), I get a pop-up from everything that says "Unable to open file list: C:\Program Files\Everything\<search term> is not a valid file list." What's this about and how do I fix it?
  2. Is there a way to set up everything so I don't have to grant it admin privileges each time I do this? I already have it running on startup and click the prompt then.

It wants to look like this under runners:

To use this, it'll be:
[launchy keyshortcut]find[tab]search term[enter]

So solve UAC prompts, either don't index any NTFS volumes (in which case you can disable run as admin) or install the service.

e: Launchy can be slow to update its indexes and runners, if it doesn't work reboot.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 8, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Khablam posted:

It wants to look like this under runners:

To use this, it'll be:
[launchy keyshortcut]find[tab]search term[enter]

So solve UAC prompts, either don't index any NTFS volumes (in which case you can disable run as admin) or install the service.

e: Launchy can be slow to update its indexes and runners, if it doesn't work reboot.

Yup, mine's set up right and I'm invoking it right, but I still get that message, even after using everything's service.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Advanced settings link in Firewall section of Security Center doesn't do anything

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sininu posted:

Advanced settings link in Firewall section of Security Center doesn't do anything

You can just get there from the old Firewall control panel:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there supposed to be better movie player than VLC now for Windows 10 or something? I don't understand how it can have such lovely performance after a clean install.

1080p h.264 on my Intel Atom PC:

Windows 10 built-in "Movies" app: plays fine
VLC: Stutters during high bitrate scenes like fire/snow and artifacts

4K HEVC on my i7-7700k PC:

VLC: Can't keep up at all, shows about a half second of clean video for every 5 seconds of scrambled artifact screen

So what the gently caress, the geniuses at VLC can't see that there's a hardware decoder in Kaby Lake and use it by default, or something? I don't get how the Windows 10 default app is so much better. I would use it but it has like no options and doesn't find the subtitles track sometimes.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Someone will aggressively correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think VLC has ever been about performance. Try one of the MPC forks? MPC-BE or MPC-HC.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

Someone will aggressively correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think VLC has ever been about performance. Try one of the MPC forks? MPC-BE or MPC-HC.

Yeah it probably doesn't have hardware acceleration turned on. VLC usually has really good quality decoding for what its worth. Use MPC-BE.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

xamphear posted:

Note that MPC-HC is dead. Their last release is newer than the last MPC-BE release, but MPC-BE has newer betas, so be sure to switch to MPC-BE eventually.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Double Punctuation posted:

Note that MPC-HC is dead. Their last release is newer than the last MPC-BE release, but MPC-BE has newer betas, so be sure to switch to MPC-BE eventually.

No, MPC-HC isn't dead, they picked up a bunch of developers again after their announcement in July. There hasn't been a new release yet, but there also hasn't been a need for a new release yet. Their development schedule usually only required 2 or 3 releases a year.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Is there supposed to be better movie player than VLC now for Windows 10 or something? I don't understand how it can have such lovely performance after a clean install.

1080p h.264 on my Intel Atom PC:

VLC: Stutters during high bitrate scenes like fire/snow and artifacts

4K HEVC on my i7-7700k PC:

VLC: Can't keep up at all, shows about a half second of clean video for every 5 seconds of scrambled artifact screen

So what the gently caress, the geniuses at VLC can't see that there's a hardware decoder in Kaby Lake and use it by default, or something? I don't get how the Windows 10 default app is so much better. I would use it but it has like no options and doesn't find the subtitles track sometimes.

I feel like this is two issues; the Atom chip not being up to the task, and the new PC having something set wrong wrt hardware decoding.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

No, MPC-HC isn't dead, they picked up a bunch of developers again after their announcement in July. There hasn't been a new release yet, but there also hasn't been a need for a new release yet. Their development schedule usually only required 2 or 3 releases a year.

I kinda like BE more. It seems less glitchy but it may be due to my AMD gfx card, lol. (sup fishmech)

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 12, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Windows Defender Antivirus doesn't seem to update anymore. Makes me worried. It times out on "Searching..."

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
In VLC make sure hardware decoding is turned on in the video options. You made need to view the advanced options. It definitely supports it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
another forum I go to had a super angry argument about VLC vs. MPC-HC where like three people got banned over the course of one page. how do goons feel? I've always just installed VLC through Ninite when setting up a new PC and I've honestly never really thought about differences between players. Is there a significant difference between each player?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Housh posted:

Windows Defender Antivirus doesn't seem to update anymore. Makes me worried. It times out on "Searching..."

heh on the other hand I've got the bug where Windows Update is constantly trying to "update" the definitions even when they're the exact same version number as what's already there

Turdsdown Tom posted:

another forum I go to had a super angry argument about VLC vs. MPC-HC where like three people got banned over the course of one page. how do goons feel? I've always just installed VLC through Ninite when setting up a new PC and I've honestly never really thought about differences between players. Is there a significant difference between each player?

Nothing that's worth having a flamewar over. It's not like anything prevents you from having both installed on the same machine.

VLC's weakness was always subtitles, so the anime fans didn't like it. I dunno if they've got that 100% perfect yet, last time I checked there were still specific bits that VLC didn't support but that was years ago.

I like MPC better myself, but VLC has better performance on my very old laptop.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of a craps shoot as how VLC will perform on different GFX cards, no idea why. Why choose, just load both programs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turdsdown Tom posted:

VLC is better if you need to run really weird file formats noone's used in 15 years. MPC-HC is better for hardware video acceleration use and subtitle/multiple audio track handling as mentioned. So which of those is likely to improve things for your own uses?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

VLC's weakness was always subtitles, so the anime fans didn't like it. I dunno if they've got that 100% perfect yet, last time I checked there were still specific bits that VLC didn't support but that was years ago.

This changed massively 5-7 years ago.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fishmech posted:

VLC is better if you need to run really weird file formats noone's used in 15 years. MPC-HC is better for hardware video acceleration use and subtitle/multiple audio track handling as mentioned. So which of those is likely to improve things for your own uses?

Exactly. MPC and its derivatives are just a nice powerful frontend to the standard Windows video playback infrastructure. It'll play pretty much anything normal and be happy doing it.

VLC is a swiss army knife. It'll at least try to play pretty much anything you throw at it, even if it might not actually be a playable thing, but it reinvents the wheel a lot because it doesn't want to depend on anything external. Using hardware decoding bypasses a lot of VLC's ability to perform miracles with broken files.

If you get the videos you're playing through relatively normal channels you'll probably never need VLC.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My biggest gripe with VLC has always been that the Windows UI looks like it fell out of a 2006 Linux distro. The settings interface is particularly dire.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I swapped out my motherboard and CPU today, from an old i5 to a new AMD. Windows activation didn't seem to care? :shrug:

That was after I fixed the BSOD loop caused by the Asus AI Suite, which refused to uninstall and according to the internet was a grave mistake to have ever installed in the first place.

Edit: Spoke too soon, activation is having a grumble right now.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 13, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Umm. i5 to AMD? :shrug: I'm done with ASUS man, as far as components go. Their software is awful.

Am I the only techy/goon/power user who doesn't use VLC? I relied on the klite codec pack forever with MPC, I dont even bother with it anymore now with Kodi.

So MS tweeted yesterday that you can drag the edges of your start menu to adjust the size. I did not know that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

codo27 posted:

Am I the only techy/goon/power user who doesn't use VLC? I relied on the klite codec pack forever with MPC, I dont even bother with it anymore now with Kodi.

I don't use VLC either. :shobon:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

codo27 posted:

You don't need klite anymore. MPC-HC comes with internal LAVFilters nowadays, which are great.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I just use MPC-HC with its lav stuff. I do use VLC on my macbook though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Asus AI Suite, which refused to uninstall

Same.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I had this problem once. I think I ended up downloading a newer version and installing it over the top and then removed it which worked. But yeah don't load that crap.

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

DSLAM fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

DSLAM fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 14, 2017