Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Phuzun posted:

2013 Leaf and it has heaters to protect from freezing. There is a massive difference between the range you see at freezing (30f) and sub zero. Where do you think the battery gets the power to heat itself?

Some quick searches show me that people say 40%+ loss in Tesla as well. And 3-7 miles is eaten per day just sitting in the garage.

I assume that one would plug it in, when you get home.

And sure, if you're running the heater that takes energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

I assume that one would plug it in, when you get home.

And sure, if you're running the heater that takes energy.

The car is doing as a battery protection mechanism. If it's that cold you're really looking at substantial range hits.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The car is doing as a battery protection mechanism. If it's that cold you're really looking at substantial range hits.

I bought this up only because (apparently not true) that the Leaf didn't have thermal battery management.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Exactly. It kicks in during the worst parts, when it's around -30f and windy. I'll be at work and get a text that it's on. I've never noticed much difference in range between that and 5 to 10 degrees warmer, though that is still drat cold. Anything above freezing is pretty nice and heater is easy on the mileage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VideoGameVet posted:

What EV? EV's with thermal management of batteries shouldn't have this issue.

What EV doesn't have significant range loss in cold temperatures?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I bought this up only because (apparently not true) that the Leaf didn't have thermal battery management.

It has very poor thermal management, especially when dealing with high ambient temperatures.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those hacks at car and driver didn't disclose that they were showered with coke and hookers by the ghost of Louis Chevrolet himself before this fake news about the bolt being the second best selling electric car so far this year, and outselling the model S in august.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-on-pace-to-outsell-every-electric-car-except-tesla-model-s/

It's pathetic that you can't even go searching for positive Tesla news without finding bullshit fake articles about the bolt doing well.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 8, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Those hacks at car and driver didn't disclose that they were showered with coke and hookers by the ghost of Louis Chevrolet himself before this fake news about the bolt being the second best selling electric car so far this year, and outselling the model S in august.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-on-pace-to-outsell-every-electric-car-except-tesla-model-s/

It's pathetic that you can't even go searching for positive Tesla news without finding bullshit fake articles about the bolt doing well.

A Bolt drove by me the other night and it was so quiet. Like the tires didn't make hardly any road noise.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ohrmazd posted:

A Bolt drove by me the other night and it was so quiet. Like the tires didn't make hardly any road noise.

Powershift posted:

ghost of Louis Chevrolet

:stare:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's interesting. I'd assumed that reasonably priced EVs from major manufacturers were already outselling the S, given pricing and distribution advantages.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VideoGameVet posted:

Shut Up And Take My Money

Jaguar’s E-type Zero is the most beautiful electric car yet
Probably because the entire design is lifted from the 1960s

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16265888/jaguar-e-type-zero-electric-car-announced

Jaguar, having freshly committed to electrifying all of its cars from 2020 onward, has today also unveiled a new all-electric automobile, which is based on its sleek E-type from the 1960s. The new E-type Zero keeps the classic styling, which was once lauded as “the most beautiful car in the world” by Enzo Ferrari, while introducing a bespoke electric powertrain that produces up to 220kW of power. It will take you from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds, which isn’t quite Tesla territory in terms of acceleration, but let’s be honest, no Tesla has ever looked quite this dashingly gorgeous.

who the gently caress wants this and not an actual new build gas powered e-type

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

I made the mistake of reading the comments on that article... hoo boy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who the gently caress wants this and not an e-type reinterpreted as a futuristic, thoroughbred electric

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah seriously I would actually buy that E-type, which puts it worlds ahead any other electric car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I made the mistake of reading the comments on that article... hoo boy.

It's impressive how bad they are.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who the gently caress wants this and not an actual new build gas powered e-type

For all the deserved praise and adulation heaped on the E-type, you never really hear much about its engine.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I think a good example of this is when Hammond took his out for a nice weekend in Monte Carlo and the engine destroyed itself. Looked great on the side of the highway, though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can hardly think of a worse classic layout to redo. That huge hood might look good, but it's entirely a waste of space with an electric drive train. Likely an impractical luggage compartment, at best a battery house with hopefully a small, discreet lid somewhere for wiper fluid. Rolls are also going to do electrics, which works really well in spirit but they too have an aesthetic of a huge hood matching the acres of land the owner roams with his fox hunting party. The Brits can do modern engineering if they want to, hopefully they come up with something modern as well.

A modern EV Land Rover will be great. I'd like to see a Lotus original as well - the Tesla Roadster proves it works.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's not meant to be practical you dolt.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you are not insane, this is not the sub forum for you to be posting in. We are not imaginative and the forum title is not ironic. We are literally ill with Automotive.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ola posted:

I can hardly think of a worse classic layout to redo. That huge hood might look good, but it's entirely a waste of space with an electric drive train. Likely an impractical luggage compartment, at best a battery house with hopefully a small, discreet lid somewhere for wiper fluid. Rolls are also going to do electrics, which works really well in spirit but they too have an aesthetic of a huge hood matching the acres of land the owner roams with his fox hunting party. The Brits can do modern engineering if they want to, hopefully they come up with something modern as well.

:frogout:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ola posted:

A modern EV Land Rover will be great. I'd like to see a Lotus original as well - the Tesla Roadster proves it works.
I was against you until this point. A Lotus is better than a long-nosed Jaguar.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

roomforthetuna posted:

I was against you until this point. A Lotus is better than a long-nosed Jaguar.

Better car != More desirable car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ola posted:

The landie is already basically a thing

http://bollingermotors.com/

look at that frunk!

as far as the jag goes, the beauty of electric cars and modular batteries is shape doesn't matter, you can make the car whatever shape you want, whatever shape is most pleasing, without having to worry about the mechanicals.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
That Jaguar EV powertrain will fit in any XK-powered car, so the possibilities are kind of amazing. It would be sacrilege to do it to to a real one, but I'd kill for a C-type reissue or sanction II car powered by this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eyebeem posted:

It's not meant to be practical you dolt.

I didn't mean that it was unpractical, an original E-Type is unpractical as well. I meant that it wasn't ... well, itself. Not all it can be. The long hood is there because it's filled to the brim with V12, like a long nosed Griffon-engined Spitfire. If it's just a huge space for luggage, the aesthetic doesn't really work.

But piling on someone for a perceived slight against the E-Type is fair play, I set myself up for that one.

That's awesome!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what the gently caress the long hood is there because it's filled with a straight six, the Series 3 does not count

The XK straight six is a pretty good engine, don't know why people are slagging on it. The styling of course is the main draw on the E-Type but the 4.2 is very respectable.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ola posted:

I didn't mean that it was unpractical, an original E-Type is unpractical as well. I meant that it wasn't ... well, itself. Not all it can be. The long hood is there because it's filled to the brim with V12, like a long nosed Griffon-engined Spitfire. If it's just a huge space for luggage, the aesthetic doesn't really work.

But piling on someone for a perceived slight against the E-Type is fair play, I set myself up for that one.

:discourse:

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
As a non car person I'm infatuated by the Chevy Bolt. It seems that they put some of their best people on it and knocked out of the park yet also aren't marketing it.

I don't mind the styling and appreciate the cargo volume. Also it seems weird to me that people would prefer EV drivetrains to be shoe-horned into cars that were designed from the ground up for internal combustion engines, like the E-Golf.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Detroit electric who currently converts the lotus elise to electric got a $1.8b investment and seems to be jumping in with both feet.

wide stance posted:

As a non car person I'm infatuated by the Chevy Bolt. It seems that they put some of their best people on it and knocked out of the park yet also aren't marketing it.

I don't mind the styling and appreciate the cargo volume. Also it seems weird to me that people would prefer EV drivetrains to be shoe-horned into cars that were designed from the ground up for internal combustion engines, like the E-Golf.

I don't think it's that people want ev drivetrains shoehorned in regular cars, i think it's just that people want an EV that just looks like a regular car.

They probably aren't marketing it because there is no profit in it. They don't want to compete with their own profitable models. Anybody who wants an electric car will know about it, anybody who just wants a car might not, and that's the way the like it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm like 99 percent sure that you can't just remanufacture the original E-type design anyway, because it won't comply with modern safety standards (e.g. pedestrian impacts on the hood).

There's a reason cars are all so chunky and slab-sided these days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I'm like 99 percent sure that you can't just remanufacture the original E-type design anyway, because it won't comply with modern safety standards (e.g. pedestrian impacts on the hood).

The big issue with pedestrian hood impacts is the distance between the hood and the engine. Much less of a concern with an electric car.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I drive an XF currently and I'd maybe get another Jaguar if they brought the fuckin XF wagon here and let me get an electric one, that would be bad rear end. It's really cool that Jaguar is doing this with the commitment to at least making everything hyrbid.

I'm not really interested in an SUV though even though the i-Pace looks cool as heck so I'll probably just end up getting an allroad or a 3-series wagon if I go that route. I guess I just live in the wrong place to not want an SUV.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Jaguar (and others) use an exemption for historical recreations.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/small-volume-carmakers-get-big-break-motor-vehicle-safety-act

Specifically, the law allows small-volume automakers to construct up to 325 replica cars a year subject to federal regulatory oversight, SEMA said in a statement. “Replica cars resemble production vehicles manufactured at least 25 years ago. The U.S. currently has just one system for regulating automobiles, which was established in the 1960s and designed for companies that mass-produce millions of vehicles. The law recognizes the unique challenges faced by companies that produce a small number of custom cars.”

Not all those challenges are covered in the new bill. Engines powering the cars still have to meet emissions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wide stance posted:

It seems that they put some of their best people on it and knocked out of the park yet also aren't marketing it.

This is going to be etched on GMs gravestone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Engines powering the cars still have to meet emissions.

That shouldn't be a problem, unless Trump's clean coal becomes dirty when it's charging a battery.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Electrifying classic cars seems like a great project. These cars are already toys or at least not your only vehicle, so you don't care about a limited range. And aside from extreme cases, you can probably improve performance by going electric.

I've often thought it'd be really fun to electrify an original 912. Obviously I'm far from the first to think of this combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

That's awesome!

You can haul a telephone pole around in that thing.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

bawfuls posted:

Electrifying classic cars seems like a great project. These cars are already toys or at least not your only vehicle, so you don't care about a limited range. And aside from extreme cases, you can probably improve performance by going electric.

I've often thought it'd be really fun to electrify an original 912. Obviously I'm far from the first to think of this combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs
There are so many combinations of motors and old cars it's basically limitless. All those old German cars with magnesium lined cylinders and Bosch mechanical injection and broken automatic transmission before the leather is broken in start coming to mind. Benz 500SEL, BMW 8-series, 7-series, VW Phaeton, E46, SL500, I'm just looking at Craigslist for stuff under $4000 now lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vitamin J posted:

There are so many combinations of motors and old cars it's basically limitless. All those old German cars with magnesium lined cylinders and Bosch mechanical injection and broken automatic transmission before the leather is broken in start coming to mind. Benz 500SEL, BMW 8-series, 7-series, VW Phaeton, E46, SL500, I'm just looking at Craigslist for stuff under $4000 now lol.
Don't forget everything American from the 70s that gets 8mpg.

• Locked thread