Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The rich are rich for a reason

Not being dumb, is what I mean

Speaking of, how did Richard Branson do

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nerses IV posted:

He survived, though his mansion got hosed up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The other day I convinced my very pregnant friend in Tampa to evac, yesterday she told me that she's going to Orlando. This miffed me as I figured she'd be going north. Is Orlando a safe place to be?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nerses IV posted:

quote:

Billionaire businessman Richard Branson has emerged from a wine cellar to find his private Caribbean island "completely and utterly devastated" in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-08/hurricane-irma-richard-branson-private-island-devastated/8884696

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Literally reports of a shooting at MIA as I'm taking off jfc Florida

https://twitter.com/miamidadepd/status/905979128482066432

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mental Hospitality posted:

The other day I convinced my very pregnant friend in Tampa to evac, yesterday she told me that she's going to Orlando. This miffed me as I figured she'd be going north. Is Orlando a safe place to be?

Lol

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Beats evacuating to Miami

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Desperate Character posted:

If it keeps going west it will obliterate the Tampa Bay Area. I can't evacuate because I forgot you need credit cards for hotels and I only own a debit.

loving not being in debt is possibly going to literally kill me :negative:

I work at a hotel, Debit cards are 100% okay to use at hotels. The only issue is that you will have a hold that is larger than the room price that will fall away after a few days.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

its in the middle of the state so its better than the coasts, but the latest projects have irma going right up the middle of florida so Orlando would still get hit pretty hard

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The rich are rich for a reason

Not being dumb, is what I mean

Rich people can be loving dumb. I can think of one if I try really hard.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Carmant posted:

Hes rich so he gets to leave

Dude aint rich. I make more than his lovely junior college professor gig (this is 2015 data):

Chambless Jack Professor, Economics Economics WEC $73,983

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
My friend in Miami is evacuating and has to leave her horses behind, so right now she's busily writing her phone number on their hooves with permanent marker and clipping her phone number into their fur :(

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meet girls at the store posted:

My friend in Miami is evacuating and has to leave her horses behind, so right now she's busily writing her phone number on their hooves with permanent marker and clipping her phone number into their fur :(

Horse will die of being spooked by wind or ant thoughts anyway

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

From the NHC

quote:

“Users are again reminded not to focus on the exact track since the average NHC track errors at days 3, 4, and 5 are about 120, 175, and 225 miles, respectively.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/851306/Hurricane-Irma-Florida-path-update-Orlando-Miami-USA-hurricane-track

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
It's fuckin sad though, like having to write your phone number on your dog and leave him all alone in a hurricane while you bail and say "good luck doggo, take care of yourself, hit me up when this is all over."

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Just stack the horses inside.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just tangentially related to Hurricane chat, but... not only am I near Hurricane Katia's path, but just a few minutes ago we felt a pretty strong earthquake. Google says it was an 8.1 near the south tip of Mexico, in Chiapas.

And just before I was reading about how we just expelled the North Korea ambassador.

You don't think North Korea has found out how to use nukes to cause localized earthquakes, do you? :ohdear:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

It's fuckin sad though, like having to write your phone number on your dog and leave him all alone in a hurricane while you bail and say "good luck doggo, take care of yourself, hit me up when this is all over."

This sucks. I'm sorry about your friend and her horses. That sucks too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wow I looked up the path of Hurricane Andrew and it barely touched Florida compared to the way the models say what Irma's is going to do but I've been hearing about how hosed up it made things for most of my life and I'm a drat Northeasterner.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
When's the next euro model out? Is it at 5 AM or is there an earlier one?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wow I looked up the path of Hurricane Andrew and it barely touched Florida compared to the way the models say what Irma's is going to do but I've been hearing about how hosed up it made things for most of my life and I'm a drat Northeasterner.

Irma is not done? Dang I thought that was over

When is it going to be over?

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

In half an hour I think.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What's the model say

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

euro runs at 2 AM, UKMET runs at 5 AM

e: EST btw

e2: euro has initialized now, we'll have 072 forecast in like, an hour maybe

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 8, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Earth giggles.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

quote:

Major earthquake off Mexico coast sparks warning of possible tsunami
Residents on the southern coast have reportedly been told to evacuate amid fears of three metre tsunami after the magnitude 8.0 quake

The Pacific tsunami warning centre said hazardous waves could be possible “within the next three hours” for the coasts of Mexico, Guatemala, El Savador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras and Ecuador.

In an updated warning, they predicted waves over 3m for parts of the Mexican coast, and waves between 0.3 and 1 meters for the Cook Islands, Ecuador, French Polynesia, Guatemala and Kiribati.

now all we need is some kind of firestorm and its complete

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You mean like the one in the Pacific Northwest?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Goffer posted:

uhh

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
This is it, isn't it?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
:thejoke:

How is the midwest gettin away with no disasters? Is that Flint drinking water thing going on still? I guess that counts.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

hobbesmaster posted:

You mean like the one in the Pacific Northwest?

oh yeah

earth, fire, wind, water.... heart?

maybe we need some kind of heart related disaster to round it out

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Goffer posted:

oh yeah

Trump won the election

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Goffer posted:

oh yeah

FDA recalls close to half-a-million pacemakers over hacking fears
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/31/fda-pacemakers-abbott-hacking/

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's 2AM and people are still getting in wrecks on I 75. It's not even raining smdh.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Goffer posted:

it'd be like playing sim city and hitting the [disaster] button over and over again

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CannonFodder posted:

It's 2AM and people are still getting in wrecks on I 75. It's not even raining smdh.

Yup. Here's current view from a dozen traffic cams:

Sorry for potato, taking a picture of a projection on the wall here. Second row, far right is the fallout from the most recent accident near Gainesville, but you can see that there are plenty of other slow areas. I-75 is busy.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Toops posted:

This is it, isn't it?

I'm ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I 75 is a lovely highway too. People bash I 4 but I'd rather be on that then 75 anyway

• Locked thread