Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I was considering just wiping my zero mission save the other day because I have no goddamn idea what to do. That's the problem with those style games, if you leave them too long you most times need to play for long periods of time to get your mojo back on what you were doing. :(

I didn't play for 2-3 weeks and my ability to do some of the moves to get those secret areas/tanks was way down. Tried for an hour to get that energy tank by the boss that you have to do that mid-air somersault across the level and can't touch the lasers. Was planning on getting that and then going back to the old areas to get the rest. I said screw it and just beat it. Oh well, will settle for 79% item collection.

Will wait for Samus Returns to play that and then go back and play AM2R or Fusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Manky posted:

On the subject, there's also a color patch for the og Metroid II. Haven't tried it yet myself but planning to.

What does this play on. An actual Game Boy Color? :psyduck:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXy6GLsyKo

Well this is adorable.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What does this play on. An actual Game Boy Color? :psyduck:

I wish, but no. The page lists emulator compatibility. Trying to load it in BGB (my preference, and not on the list) and it shoots some warnings about how it wouldn't play on real hardware. Then it runs, but looks bad. Does work fine in mGBA

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I use Gambatte or whatever it's called in Retroarch and was super confused why it wasn't working since it still plays juuuuust enough to make me think the patched worked. mGBA works just fine after all is said and done.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So was there truth to the idea that Nintendo would have to license any emulation of the Super FX chip? I'm wondering if they finally poneyed up the cash to whomever for the SNES Mini, or if it just happens to be the first piece of Nintendo hardware powerful enough to emulate the chip properly. Or is it something weird like they actually put a physical Super FX chip in the box (hence, the ability to sell those games with a piece of hardware but not in a purely digital format)??

Speaking of games that don't play nice outside of original hardware... what's the actual technical hurdle presented by Mario RPG? Is it just an extra-high capacity cart or something that throws off clone systems / emulators / etc? On a personal note, I used to think my copy was busted because I was rocking a cheapo NES/SNES dual clone system at the time... I was very happy when I found that it booted on a real SNES no problem.

Unrelated RGB question - Am I right in my understanding that the good PVMs / Trinitrons / etc. basically max out at around 20 inches? What I'm thinking is that I'll eventually hunt down a RGB screen in that class, and supplement my setup with a bigger S-Video CRT for multiplayer party-type stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Super Mario RPG uses what's known as the SA-1 chip which is also a co-processor. It provides a variety of enhancements including faster CPU goodness (10ish MHz instead of 3.54), a little extra RAM (2 whole kilobytes!) and, importantly, some lockout/copy protection functionality. If memory serves, it was one of the last mainstream SNES games to get a working dump and there were pictures of the cart being dumped, which was a crazy wire bodge-job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Minidust posted:

So was there truth to the idea that Nintendo would have to license any emulation of the Super FX chip? I'm wondering if they finally poneyed up the cash to whomever for the SNES Mini, or if it just happens to be the first piece of Nintendo hardware powerful enough to emulate the chip properly. Or is it something weird like they actually put a physical Super FX chip in the box (hence, the ability to sell those games with a piece of hardware but not in a purely digital format)??

Speaking of games that don't play nice outside of original hardware... what's the actual technical hurdle presented by Mario RPG? Is it just an extra-high capacity cart or something that throws off clone systems / emulators / etc? On a personal note, I used to think my copy was busted because I was rocking a cheapo NES/SNES dual clone system at the time... I was very happy when I found that it booted on a real SNES no problem.

Unrelated RGB question - Am I right in my understanding that the good PVMs / Trinitrons / etc. basically max out at around 20 inches? What I'm thinking is that I'll eventually hunt down a RGB screen in that class, and supplement my setup with a bigger S-Video CRT for multiplayer party-type stuff.

My guess would be that it's not so much a question of raw power, but that with the SNES Mini they're free to tailor the hardware to actually replicate/emulate Super FX "properly" without having to worry about pesky things like modern PC/Console architecture.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

fishmech posted:

Ok, so your description doesn't hold up.
I must have been unclear in my wording then, because nothing you said really contradicts what I intended. Though it does seem like you maybe didn't watch the video and read its description, because it lays out pretty clearly all the comparisons.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 7, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

I must have been unclear in my wording then, because nothing you said really contradicts what I intended. Though it does seem like you maybe didn't watch the video and read its description, because it lays out pretty clearly all the comparisons.

What exactly did you intend then? The game runs at the normal speed on Super FX 2 and clearly does not function correctly when running on a Super FX 1 native speed by disabling the ability of the game to set the necessary speed flag.

Minidust posted:

So was there truth to the idea that Nintendo would have to license any emulation of the Super FX chip?

Nintendo owns any relevant licenses there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

Patents don't apply to it anymore. It is possible, however, that they might want to use some code provided by someone else and that would require a license. In addition, sometimes it's easier to pay a license for something to get access to technical information than it is to just duplicate it.

So they probably didn't have to pay for a license, but they might have anyway to make their lives easier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Before I throw up a thread in SA-Mart, any interest in OSSC with factory fitted HDMI Audio mod (output on OSSC is DVI, as they all are from factory, but I will include DVI-HDMI adapter)? I bought one and it doesn't do line tripling mode with my TV so I'm just going to stay with my crappy HDMI upscaler. No remote since I forgot to buy one with it, but you can use a crappy learning remote or buy one from videogameperfection. Looking to recoup most of my cost for something I'm never going to use.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

fishmech posted:

What exactly did you intend then? The game runs at the normal speed on Super FX 2 and clearly does not function correctly when running on a Super FX 1 native speed by disabling the ability of the game to set the necessary speed flag.
Given that no one is going out of their way to track down one of the blob-tops that don't support the speed flag nor intentionally patching their ROMS to disable it, SFX1 and SFX2 do indeed run the game at the same speed. There are no speed gains to be had by making a SF2 Repo from a SFX2 cart. SF2 runs at the same speed on a Stunt Race FX donor board as it does on a Yoshi's Island donor board.

If you want it to run faster, you have to use either of those boards and mod the oscillator, and then the gameplay itself runs sped-up, rather than smoother animation at the same speed.

I hope that is clear, and please, let me know if I am incorrect in my understanding.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

Given that no one is going out of their way to track down one of the blob-tops that don't support the speed flag nor intentionally patching their ROMS to disable it, SFX1 and SFX2 do indeed run the game at the same speed. There are no speed gains to be had by making a SF2 Repo from a SFX2 cart. SF2 runs at the same speed on a Stunt Race FX donor board as it does on a Yoshi's Island donor board.

If you want it to run faster, you have to use either of those boards and mod the oscillator, and then the gameplay itself runs sped-up, rather than smoother animation at the same speed.

I hope that is clear, and please, let me know if I am incorrect in my understanding.

The video shows no oscillator mods to speed up the game though, and I'm not getting where you think anything in video shows that (Only 10.7 MHz and 21.4 MHz modes are shown). The only modification they perform in the game was to prevent the ability of the game to set the "speed up" flag, and thus was done to run the game slower.

Actually performing a modification to speed up the chip would not just "make the gameplay run sped-up" it would make the game hit its 20 FPS target framerate which is also the framerate cap much more consistently. Since Star Fox 2 running on the intended shipping hardware already runs much closer to the target framerate than Star Fox 1 does, this would be a very minimal issue for gameplay. Argonaut/Nintendo simply had so much trouble getting Star Fox to run with the original chip speed that they decided salvage things by timing all sorts of gameplay and cutscenes around the significantly below target framerates and call it good, but which meant the game balance is quite a bit off if you manage to get it up to its original intended FPS.

Additionally it's not hard to "track down one of the blob-tops" - quite a bunch of the Star Fox 1 carts out there are that and it especially in the old days was common for them to be the go-to donor cart before people figured out that it needs the later revisions that can run at 21.4 MHz, that the game was not natively just as slow and choppy as Star Fox 1. Many repro cart makers are going to still be selling copies made out of Star Fox 1 with the original chip too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Martytoof posted:

Before I throw up a thread in SA-Mart, any interest in OSSC with factory fitted HDMI Audio mod (output on OSSC is DVI, as they all are from factory, but I will include DVI-HDMI adapter)? I bought one and it doesn't do line tripling mode with my TV so I'm just going to stay with my crappy HDMI upscaler. No remote since I forgot to buy one with it, but you can use a crappy learning remote or buy one from videogameperfection. Looking to recoup most of my cost for something I'm never going to use.

Is this the 1.6 or previous model? I have the new one preordered but curious on own if there not too much of a difference.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Martytoof posted:

How much you want for it?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rirse posted:

Is this the 1.6 or previous model? I have the new one preordered but curious on own if there not too much of a difference.

I skimmed the article and I think the most notable differences are the built in audio and an additional audio input. I don't think you're really missing out if you get an older one with the audio board.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
For the longest time I had an issue where a horizontal fuzzy bar would slowly run down the screen when playing either my NES or SNES. I thought it was the composite cables I bought awhile back, but recently googled the problem. Never would've guessed it was the power adapter I had been using (powers both systems off the same adapter). Luckily I had an original power supply for the SNES and the problem went away. My question is for the NES. The original power adapter is rated at 9V 1.3A, and the adapter I've been using is 9V 850mA. Any recommendations for a 3rd party adapter, or should I just ebay an original adapter?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

edit: Just created SA-Mart thread for my OSSC if anyone's interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833458

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 8, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BisterdDave posted:

For the longest time I had an issue where a horizontal fuzzy bar would slowly run down the screen when playing either my NES or SNES. I thought it was the composite cables I bought awhile back, but recently googled the problem. Never would've guessed it was the power adapter I had been using (powers both systems off the same adapter). Luckily I had an original power supply for the SNES and the problem went away. My question is for the NES. The original power adapter is rated at 9V 1.3A, and the adapter I've been using is 9V 850mA. Any recommendations for a 3rd party adapter, or should I just ebay an original adapter?

The NES only draws about 850 milliamps of current from the adapter, the original adapter was overspecced with an over 1 amp adapter on the assumption that even units that failed to deliver the labeled power should still be delivering within an acceptable margin for the console. A modern 9 volt 850 milliamp power adaptershould be just fine (of course, only with the proper plug).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BisterdDave posted:

You could try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard that newer switch-mode power bricks might introduce ripple that old consoles don't handle gracefully. While I've never had problems with the brick above, you could also track down an old first-model Sega Genesis power brick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My NES runs off a US Robotics 56k modem power brick and it works fantastic.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've heard that that PWR one you linked works great for most of these retro consoles that all use the same power adapter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I go to my local goodwill and buy transformer based wall warts from their miscellaneous cable section. Not as much noise as switch based power supplies, and easier to mod with faster, bigger modern poly caps to make them even better.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Okay, an idea came to me on the way home, tell me if I'm wrong and this wouldn't work:

So I see monitors / TVs all the time at Goodwill / Value Village that seem nice but I have no way to test them. It occurred to me that I could probably power a raspberry pi off of the USB power bank I use for my phone, it has a 2.1 amp output on it. That would make the pi very portable, and all I'd need to bring would be either a small HDMI cable, or the composite cable, or the hdmi to vga adapter I have for it. I'm guessing there are probably test suite programs I could get to run on it to test the TVs. Maybe automatically run on boot, so I wouldn't also have to figure out a keyboard/mouse for it.

... right? Or would the pi not play nice with the battery pack? Even if it wasn't a constant 2.1 amps, as long as it was putting out close to that it should be fine. I mean, I ran one of my pis off of a 1.0a connection and it bitched about low voltage, but still ran [slowly]

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think the battery pack part will work. I think that's how a lot of those raspberry pi game boy projects are powered. How long ago did you run a pi with a battery pack? I think you'll just need to get a nicer battery pack like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...er+battery+pack

Not 100% sure but I think they'll be able to output more than 1.0A.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh I've never actually tried it, just playing with ideas in my head.

My wife's got one of those beefier, nicer batteries, maybe I'll take a crack with that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Most smartphones these days have accessories available that can output HDMI, and putting that together with a HDMI-VGA convertor should be fine for testing monitors. And one of those "Atari 2600 in an Atari Joystick" all in ones you can probably pick up at any thrift store should do you for composite testing with a couple of AA batteries.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fishmech posted:

Most smartphones these days have accessories available that can output HDMI, and putting that together with a HDMI-VGA convertor should be fine for testing monitors. And one of those "Atari 2600 in an Atari Joystick" all in ones you can probably pick up at any thrift store should do you for composite testing with a couple of AA batteries.

... and I did just buy an hdmi cable for my phone, I didn't even think of that. :doh:

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
Man I loving love the Nintendo 64. It's got terrible graphics and a controller made for the three armed mutants of the future but there are so many great games for it.
I just started playing Paper Mario again for the first time in 10+ years and it's still a great game. It's a shame that it came out at the end of the consoles life so many people didn't get a chance to play it. A very complete and fun experience and one of the few games to avoid the reckless rush to 3d graphics that defined the era.

Me and my brother played Smash Bros until we forgot that our controllers used to have auto centering. It's still the most balanced of the Smash franchise and while it is more limited then newer titles it's still the foundation for the series.

My overall favorite game for console is F-Zero X. When you press the brake button you lose health and go faster. If only getting stereo sound didn't cost $1000+ dollars...

My Dad bought me Bomberman 64 as my first ever video game. The bizarre duality of a fun party game and a single player mode where everything including your own bombs killed you with one hit really make this a one of a kind game.

Maybe one day I'll get a Nintendo Switch. But it won't ever replace the 64 and all the great times its given me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Man I loving love the Nintendo 64. It's got terrible graphics and a controller made for the three armed mutants of the future but there are so many great games for it.
I just started playing Paper Mario again for the first time in 10+ years and it's still a great game. It's a shame that it came out at the end of the consoles life so many people didn't get a chance to play it. A very complete and fun experience and one of the few games to avoid the reckless rush to 3d graphics that defined the era.

Me and my brother played Smash Bros until we forgot that our controllers used to have auto centering. It's still the most balanced of the Smash franchise and while it is more limited then newer titles it's still the foundation for the series.

My overall favorite game for console is F-Zero X. When you press the brake button you lose health and go faster. If only getting stereo sound didn't cost $1000+ dollars...

My Dad bought me Bomberman 64 as my first ever video game. The bizarre duality of a fun party game and a single player mode where everything including your own bombs killed you with one hit really make this a one of a kind game.

Maybe one day I'll get a Nintendo Switch. But it won't ever replace the 64 and all the great times its given me.

Why not get a WiiU for the N64 games on the eShop and Wii Shop Channel?

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not get a WiiU for the N64 games on the eShop and Wii Shop Channel?

Well mainly because I already have about 50 Nintendo 64 games and if you emulate them you can't use the original controller. I do use emulation for Harvest Moon since it was never released in PAL. I do have a Wii but I haven't tried playing old games on it. How good is it as an emulation box?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The N64 emulator on Wii isn't great so you're pretty much limited to playing whatever's available to download from Virtual Console and/or randomly injecting ROMs into VC emulators and hoping they work okay (and they rarely do).

N64 VC emulation on Wii U is pretty bad, in my experience - a lot of games run at incorrect speeds and there are very obvious issues pertaining to the analogue stick.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

azurite posted:

You could try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard that newer switch-mode power bricks might introduce ripple that old consoles don't handle gracefully. While I've never had problems with the brick above, you could also track down an old first-model Sega Genesis power brick.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! The description says it's rated at 2 amps. Would that be too much current for the system since the original brick was rated for 1.3 amps and that apparently was more than needed. I had no idea a Genesis power adapter would work for an NES. I'm not home at the moment to test it out, but I believe I have a model 2 Genesis power adapter. Would that work, or only model 1?

One other thing I noticed was how light my 2-in-1 power adapter is compared to other 3rd party bricks. Could be just cheap components?

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 8, 2017

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Buying a Everdrive64 just for Fzero X DD and Fzero X Climax is a worthwhile venture. Fzero Climax is the last Fzero to be released and it was on the GBA in Japan only. And while it is the best looking SNES style Fzeros, the maps in the X engine are incredible.

Though if you are looking at an Everdrive the logical addition after Fzero's is Goldeneye X.

fastbilly1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 8, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BisterdDave posted:

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! The description says it's rated at 2 amps. Would that be too much current for the system since the original brick was rated for 1.3 amps and that apparently was more than needed.

One other thing I noticed was how light my 2-in-1 power adapter is compared to other 3rd party bricks. Could be just cheap components?

Power adapter is rated for more amps than the device needs: device only pulls what it needs, adapter might be a little bit less efficent.

Power adapter is rated the amount of amps the device needs:device and adapter are essentially working optimally

Power adapter is rated for less amps than the device needs: device and adapter both likely to get damaged over the long term, if the device functions at all.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

fishmech posted:

Power adapter is rated for more amps than the device needs: device only pulls what it needs, adapter might be a little bit less efficent.

Power adapter is rated the amount of amps the device needs:device and adapter are essentially working optimally

Power adapter is rated for less amps than the device needs: device and adapter both likely to get damaged over the long term, if the device functions at all.

Yep, considerations:

1) make sure the lug size matches
2) make sure the voltage is the same
3) make sure polarity is correct (probably most important)
4) make sure Amps are same or higher than the device requires

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

univbee posted:

Super Mario RPG uses what's known as the SA-1 chip which is also a co-processor. It provides a variety of enhancements including faster CPU goodness (10ish MHz instead of 3.54), a little extra RAM (2 whole kilobytes!) and, importantly, some lockout/copy protection functionality. If memory serves, it was one of the last mainstream SNES games to get a working dump and there were pictures of the cart being dumped, which was a crazy wire bodge-job.
Oh cool, I had no idea there were other enhancement chips like that. Somehow as a child I knew all about Super FX though... I guess they actually hyped that one in the StarFox marketing a lot?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess would be that it's not so much a question of raw power, but that with the SNES Mini they're free to tailor the hardware to actually replicate/emulate Super FX "properly" without having to worry about pesky things like modern PC/Console architecture.

fishmech posted:

Nintendo owns any relevant licenses there.

Random Stranger posted:

Patents don't apply to it anymore. It is possible, however, that they might want to use some code provided by someone else and that would require a license. In addition, sometimes it's easier to pay a license for something to get access to technical information than it is to just duplicate it.

So they probably didn't have to pay for a license, but they might have anyway to make their lives easier.
Aaaahh good stuff thanks all!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BisterdDave posted:

I'm not home at the moment to test it out, but I believe I have a model 2 Genesis power adapter. Would that work, or only model 1?

Genesis 2 plug won't fit, unfortunately.

Yeah, the 2-in-1 might be low quality. I've had issues before with cheap adapters causing noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

Oh cool, I had no idea there were other enhancement chips like that. Somehow as a child I knew all about Super FX though... I guess they actually hyped that one in the StarFox marketing a lot?
There were quite a few, but few of them were really worth mentioning.

• Locked thread