Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Living the dream.

You have no idea how good it feels to smash "DECLINE" over and over again on meeting requests between 2:30 - 5:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keetron posted:

You can leave early without anyone knowing!

I'm gonna spend that "capital" on the doctor's appointment I have this afternoon, so no dice.

KoRMaK posted:

Why are you trying to ruin it for your team??

You joke but I've been having nightmares about failing my team recently :cry:

Mniot posted:

Anticipating the follow-up post where Pollyana's entire team was laid off...

Honestly, I'm surprised every morning that I open my inbox and there isn't an announcement that we're all fired.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Volmarias posted:

Living the dream.

Except when your boss says everyone should head out a bit early before a long weekend, which ends up meaning 'leave when you normally do'

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised every morning that I open my inbox and there isn't an announcement that we're all fired.

That's... unlikely to be how that'd happen. It'd be an all-team meeting with the leader's direct report and - oh hey what's that HR person doing here? Oh.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Except when your boss says everyone should head out a bit early before a long weekend, which ends up meaning 'leave when you normally do'

Yeah, but that's only like, 4 times a year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ChickenWing posted:

I take that to mean exactly what they said, every time. Hey, they offered :colbert:

Munkeymon posted:

That's... unlikely to be how that'd happen. It'd be an all-team meeting with the leader's direct report and - oh hey what's that HR person doing here? Oh.

The company has basically laid off ~1000 employees via rumors and email before, and these are the same people that kicked out our head manager+VP and then refused to refill those positions, soooo...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenWing posted:

So, I guess you still end up ahead?

But really I was talking about the "there's only a 3 hour block in my day where others may interrupt my productivity, and the rest of it is mine" bit. Someone post that "quick meeting" calendar picture again.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

So, I guess you still end up ahead?

oh yeah the pros most certainly outweigh the cons, the only reason I mention it is because it was recently a long weekend and I'm still nursing the semi-stale fake resentment :v:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ChickenWing posted:

At least for me, those days are pretty predictable, so I head into work later than I normally would on those days.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Munkeymon posted:

Unless you work for Oracle, where you might get RIF'd by robocall

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Vulture Culture posted:

Unless you work for Oracle, where you might get RIF'd by robocall

:piss: and [img-thats-our-oracle] combined somehow

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Man, having to think for myself at work is the worst :eng99:

I was assigned a project last week to develop a tool to make our testers' jobs easier. They use ReadyAPI to test our endpoints, so I'm developing a Groovy tool to help organize endpoint templates and apply changes in a consistent fashion. There's two problems with this

1) The QA Lead and the Project Lead have incredibly different ideas on how this should work, and didn't really realize this before asking me to work on the project. Until last night, I was getting a conflicting set of requirements from each of them. Of course, they told me that I should be listening to the QA Lead because the end result is ultimately for him, but the Project Lead has very definite opinions about how the end result should look and is also kinda sorta everyone's boss on this project. Luckily, I think this was kinda sorta resolved, and everyone at least knows what everyone else wants. Whether or not this will result in less confusion down the road is, of course, a complete guess

2) Holy poo poo I am not used to having to do all this stuff on my own and I feel like I'm barely treading water. Everyone seems happy with me, so I assume I'm doing something reasonably correctly, but every day before my little demo is 15 minutes of "oh gently caress is today the day I get told that everything is wrong and I've hosed it all up and this was a colossal waste of time?"

Please I just want someone to make me a jira ticket that I can complete and then sometimes ask me to help design stuff I don't actually want responsibility aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :supaburn:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

Man, having to think for myself at work is the worst :eng99:

I was assigned a project last week to develop a tool to make our testers' jobs easier. They use ReadyAPI to test our endpoints, so I'm developing a Groovy tool to help organize endpoint templates and apply changes in a consistent fashion. There's two problems with this

1) The QA Lead and the Project Lead have incredibly different ideas on how this should work, and didn't really realize this before asking me to work on the project. Until last night, I was getting a conflicting set of requirements from each of them. Of course, they told me that I should be listening to the QA Lead because the end result is ultimately for him, but the Project Lead has very definite opinions about how the end result should look and is also kinda sorta everyone's boss on this project. Luckily, I think this was kinda sorta resolved, and everyone at least knows what everyone else wants. Whether or not this will result in less confusion down the road is, of course, a complete guess

2) Holy poo poo I am not used to having to do all this stuff on my own and I feel like I'm barely treading water. Everyone seems happy with me, so I assume I'm doing something reasonably correctly, but every day before my little demo is 15 minutes of "oh gently caress is today the day I get told that everything is wrong and I've hosed it all up and this was a colossal waste of time?"

Please I just want someone to make me a jira ticket that I can complete and then sometimes ask me to help design stuff I don't actually want responsibility aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :supaburn:
If it's important, and it's been important, but nobody's done it yet, that means people are reasonably aware that it's a very hard problem, so don't sweat the water-treading part.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least you're hopefully getting a good feedback loop going, with those frequent demos. That should mean that, at the end, they won't suddenly go, "This is all wrong! Start over!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Congrats on rising above the junior dev level op!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Living the dream.
I have meetings blocked off with myself for most of my days that I dedicate to getting actual work done. Meetings happen when I allow them to happen.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CPColin posted:

At least you're hopefully getting a good feedback loop going, with those frequent demos. That should mean that, at the end, they won't suddenly go, "This is all wrong! Start over!"

I've finished up the basic framework and am doing a test implementation now, so that'll be the real indicator of how well this turns out. I have run into a brick wall that is an utter lack of motivation though, so I'm currently working on bulling my way through that :shepface:

Volmarias posted:

Congrats on rising above the junior dev level op!

Now to work on getting the appropriate job title and salary :v:

I've been taking on more responsibility lately and there's a bunch of contractors who keep asking me how the promotion process works here and what my level equates to in the dev hierarchy and why I'm still considered a junior developer, which is nice. Unfortunately, given that I'm still technically a consultant, there's a whole bunch of non-developer hoops I need to jump through.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ChickenWing posted:

I've finished up the basic framework and am doing a test implementation now, so that'll be the real indicator of how well this turns out. I have run into a brick wall that is an utter lack of motivation though, so I'm currently working on bulling my way through that :shepface:

Now to work on getting the appropriate job title and salary :v:

I've been taking on more responsibility lately and there's a bunch of contractors who keep asking me how the promotion process works here and what my level equates to in the dev hierarchy and why I'm still considered a junior developer, which is nice. Unfortunately, given that I'm still technically a consultant, there's a whole bunch of non-developer hoops I need to jump through.

Also if it helps your process, make your own tickets in jira/phone todo list/notebook/whatever.

It's the productivity secret everyone will tell you about.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

leper khan posted:

Also if it helps your process, make your own tickets in jira/phone todo list/notebook/whatever.

This is the most work my notebook has done since I got it. I realized on day two that this was not going to be a 'keep everything organized in my head' thing

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oh poo poo test implementation looks like it's working the way I wanted it to gently caress yeah demo isn't going to be a complete failure hype hypeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Oh poo poo test implementation looks like it's working the way I wanted it to gently caress yeah demo isn't going to be a complete failure hype hypeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good luck! :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ChickenWing posted:

Repeat after me: "Works on my machine."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Repeat after me: "Works on my machine."

My machine is prod*

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I suggested at one point to run lower environments and potentially production on developers' Macbook Pros where everyone runs Kubernetes' kubeadm in a hypervisor with no way to login to avoid some security issues, and we'd reschedule pods after hours into AWS to help cut down on our really stupidly high infrastructure costs. It turns out the primary problem is that we wouldn't have an easy way to ensure solid connectivity over wifi to our monolithic database.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Another rant. Sorry everybody.

I hate Apache Spark so loving much. I'm so sick of it. I spent at least a solid 40-hour week trying to get it to read data from S3. Unfortunately, you need to use v1.7.4 from 2012 of the Hadoop-S3 jar and v1.7.81 of the AWSjdk downloaded from http://fuckery.clownpenis.fart from before Jan 16 and and and.

Finally I said gently caress it and dumped a small subset of our data to a CSV and tried to run it, but Spark won't push your local data to the workers.

Okay, whatever, I'll read from the DB directly. Now I'm fighting with the JDBC drivers.

I already feel like enough of a moron without being forced to set up and use a cluster.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jo posted:

I hate Apache Spark so loving much.

We've had some major woes with Spark as well. We have it somewhat stable, but really there's a big lack of a knowledge base with it. We use it on top of Cassandra so that also doesn't help. It also doesn't help that it's 1 part of our tech stack that we touch maybe 4 times a year so it's almost "out of site, out of mind".

I don't hate it at the moment, but perhaps I would if I had to work with it every day.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Apache Spark is the PHP of big data applications. On so many levels.
- everyone is using it or used it at some point
- it's full of bugs, quirks, and surprises
- it tries to do everything, but
- it never is the best solution for the particular problem you are trying to solve
- it's poo poo
- but we're gonna be stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Jo posted:

I hate Apache Spark so loving much. I'm so sick of it. I spent at least a solid 40-hour week trying to get it to read data from S3. Unfortunately, you need to use v1.7.4 from 2012 of the Hadoop-S3 jar and v1.7.81 of the AWSjdk downloaded from http://fuckery.clownpenis.fart from before Jan 16 and and and.

Finally I said gently caress it and dumped a small subset of our data to a CSV and tried to run it, but Spark won't push your local data to the workers.

Okay, whatever, I'll read from the DB directly. Now I'm fighting with the JDBC drivers.

I already feel like enough of a moron without being forced to set up and use a cluster.

I've been using NiFi for prototyping lately and it's been a fairly positive experience. It has its own quirks, but I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and it comes with a lot of processors out of the box for doing things that you'd have to supply yourself with Spark. Writing more processors is also pretty easy - I was able to write a couple of processors for munging JSON in like a day or two after having not written any Java in over a decade. If you just need a basic ETL pipeline and don't want to fumble with workers and Zookeeper and JAR hell, maybe take a look at it. There's a lot of overlap between it and Spark for simple data manipulation jobs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I suggested at one point to run ... production on developers' Macbook Pros
no don't run production this way

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

no don't run production this way
The place is a complete and utter clusterfuck and our SLAs would probably be met better by developers' laptops than our actual servers that we can't afford anyway.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

chutwig posted:

I've been using NiFi for prototyping lately and it's been a fairly positive experience. It has its own quirks, but I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and it comes with a lot of processors out of the box for doing things that you'd have to supply yourself with Spark. Writing more processors is also pretty easy - I was able to write a couple of processors for munging JSON in like a day or two after having not written any Java in over a decade. If you just need a basic ETL pipeline and don't want to fumble with workers and Zookeeper and JAR hell, maybe take a look at it. There's a lot of overlap between it and Spark for simple data manipulation jobs.

I'll second this. I was briefly on a big data project that used a Kafka/NiFi/Hadoop, and NiFi was a blast to work with. Like you I hadn't touched Java since forever, but was writing custom components after a few days.

Dunno how it compares to Spark.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

necrobobsledder posted:

The place is a complete and utter clusterfuck and our SLAs would probably be met better by developers' laptops than our actual servers that we can't afford anyway.

This is horrifying. "Sorry, customerdude, we dropped your production server at the bus stop. Expect a few days of downtime."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No no, in the world of cloud computed dockerswarm containerization and bespoke artisanal parallelized Hadoop data pipelines backed by Typescript and deep machine learning, I can do literally loving anything and it will still work because our revenue is fueled entirely by buzzwords! :science:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

a foolish pianist posted:

This is horrifying. "Sorry, customerdude, we dropped your production server at the bus stop. Expect a few days of downtime."
The idea for using K8s in that comedy context was to reschedule jobs elsewhere if the laptop is shutdown or lost a network connection. And because our production systems are such crap and probably far slower than the developers' laptops in every metric, it might be justifiable. We actually do have a requirement to run MacOS clusters in prod due to some software that requires it, and our prod Macs are so poorly managed that we have actually failed SLAs often enough that my comedy Macbook K8s cluster would likely work better from a business risk standpoint.

Pollyanna posted:

No no, in the world of cloud computed dockerswarm containerization and bespoke artisanal parallelized Hadoop data pipelines backed by Typescript and deep machine learning, I can do literally loving anything and it will still work because our revenue is fueled entirely by buzzwords! :science:
You can also go the opposite way and be stuck on ColdFusion, MySQL 3, and CentOS 5. Resume-driven development is better for engineers at least in that when the company fails you might be able to jump ship to another failure. Old, outdated tech stack company failures set you up for failure.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Apache Spark is the PHP of big data applications. On so many levels.
- everyone is using it or used it at some point
- it's full of bugs, quirks, and surprises
- it tries to do everything, but
- it never is the best solution for the particular problem you are trying to solve
- it's poo poo
- but we're gonna be stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

Hmm I dunno. What's better at general etl/analysis than spark?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

return0 posted:

Hmm I dunno. What's better at general etl/analysis than spark?

I'd take just about anything over Spark at this point. I spent about two hours trying to do a concat/group by of a string in Spark. Last month I had a project I was going to do in it, but gave up and wrote the netcode + job system in the time it has taken me to get Spark to do the concat I mentioned above. It's a surreal, frustrating experience where I feel like I'm in grad school again defending a dissertation and unable to get anything to work or answer questions. It should be so simple! Why do I need a special class of function to do a map? Why can't I use a plain Java lambda on this agg? Why can't map or flatmap take a lambda?

Oh. It crashed after 18 hours. Okay. :suicide:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a particular reason they're using Spark?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a particular reason they're using Spark?

Because some exec told some other exec on the golf course that they used Spark.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

GutBomb posted:

Because some exec told some other exec on the golf course that they used Spark.

In short, this. I've expressed my opposition. We do have a few TB of data to process, so I guess they think it's the only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I use Spark extensively at work to process decent sized datasets, and have found it pretty good tbh. One difference is I've used the Scala API exclusively, and haven't touched the java API. I don't recognise your comments about map/flatmap not taking lambda from my experience, for example. I have read anecdotally the Scala API is more consistent.

I've used Hadoop for similar batch ETL in the past (with python over Hadoop streaming) and find Spark to be light years better. Maybe try Scala?