Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

bloom posted:

Nah those were actual people. It's a tough job market for extras.

Beats just hanging around looking for work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

DandyLion posted:

Beats just hanging around looking for work though.

Not much hanging going on without Lady Stoneheart though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They put Sean Bean's severed head(or a prop replica of it) on a pike. They let non-Lena Headey walk naked through a city full of people throwing poop at her. They stabbed Robb's unborn fetus in it's face, multiple times. They hanged flayed people(or props) around a castle. :nallears:

dont forget about sewing a prop wolfs head on Robbs corpse and parading it around too :sun:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is stupid and dumb, but the more I think of it the more I'm very okay with Rhaegar being slight (or looking like Viserys, whichever you prefer).

This is a dynasty of incest. Thematically, you have the dragons essentially turning into cats and dying off. Practically, you have 300 years of Spanish-style inbreeding. There's also some unspoken magic missing from Valyria. It makes enough sense that the Targaryens literally withered away with their own xenophobic breeding practices off in a foreign land.

So, Rhaegar, who has been told his whole life that he is the oldest and strongest and bestest, does okay in tournaments (wonder why) and then Rob Baratheon happens to him. Oops.

I don't think anybody involved with the television program has thought that hard, but it is a thought.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly don't understand how people can think that "it's too brutal" and "it's too dumb" are valid points to raise against the authenticity of the leaks.

Just say you don't think they're real, whatever, but come the gently caress on do you even GoT?

Some people on reddit actually argued the leaks are fake because it's unreasonable for Tormund and Beric to get to castle black running on the top of the wall. People said that the leaks are fake because people travel unreasonable distances. Really.

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is stupid and dumb, but the more I think of it the more I'm very okay with Rhaegar being slight (or looking like Viserys, whichever you prefer).

This is a dynasty of incest. Thematically, you have the dragons essentially turning into cats and dying off. Practically, you have 300 years of Spanish-style inbreeding. There's also some unspoken magic missing from Valyria. It makes enough sense that the Targaryens literally withered away with their own xenophobic breeding practices off in a foreign land.

So, Rhaegar, who has been told his whole life that he is the oldest and strongest and bestest, does okay in tournaments (wonder why) and then Rob Baratheon happens to him. Oops.

I don't think anybody involved with the television program has thought that hard, but it is a thought.

Rhaegar only did well in one tourney, Barristan even tells Dany that Rhaegar was a very good fighter but that he wasn't in the "top tier" category.

The books don't describe Rhaegar as a burly manly man, he's an elfish introvert who's generally very good at everything he does but we know for a fact that he wasn't interested in fighting until he thought he needed to be a good fighter so he could fulfill the azor ahai prophecy.

I'm fine with Rhaegar being average sized but they needed someone way more handsome and shouldn't have used the Viserys wig with the tangled wavy hair. Give the guy some air of unearthly beauty with a flowing silvery mane for gently caress's sake.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Taear posted:

As we all know, the death of a leader makes that cause instantly vanish. By show logic if they'd just stabbed Cersei when they had their big meeting everything would have been sorted and fine and nobody would have minded.

Randyll's dead, the Freys are history and a good chunk of the existing army was already destroyed. If Daenerys had just had her two gigantic fuckoff dragons eat Cersei, Jaime and Euron when they were all conveniently gathered in to one place, who's left to oppose them? Sure, the Lannister army is still there but Dany et al showed up with two massive armies and two dragons. I'm pretty sure that's a fight they could win, especially when the only opposing commander left is Bronn and he only had power to exercise when Jaime was around.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I honestly don't understand how people can think that "it's too brutal" and "it's too dumb" are valid points to raise against the authenticity of the leaks.

Just say you don't think they're real, whatever, but come the gently caress on do you even GoT?

"It's too dumb to be real" is a bad argument, but "it's so dumb it HAS to be real" is a good argument? Do you ever actually read your own posts?

grack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 7, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

grack posted:

"It's too dumb to be real" is a bad argument, but "it's so dumb it HAS to be real" is a good argument? Do you ever actually read your own posts?

It seems you didn't.

For starters, my post wasn't at all about why I think it's real, it was about the show being very dumb and thus saying that the leaks are too dumb is in itself, dumb.

I believe that the leaks are real because they are very similar in almost every aspect to the leaked plot outlines from this season, I already said this many times itt that it's possible that they're a forgery but that if they are it is a very well made forgery. You can read this as "the leaks are dumb but they are just the right amount of dumb".

Is this fine? does this post upset you? I apologize if me thinking that the leaks are real upsets so many of you, I had hoped that the toxxing would make you people less angry about Someone Believing This Obvious Fanfiction God I Can't Even.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You're saying that it's difficult to copy the style and format of already released, easy to attain documents? That is also a really dumb argument.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Is this fine? does this post upset you? I apologize if me thinking that the leaks are real upsets so many of you, I had hoped that the toxxing would make you people less angry about Someone Believing This Obvious Fanfiction God I Can't Even.

I'm not the one making giant effort posts every time someone disagrees with me.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those rumored spoilers are so dumb that I don't think the show would actually do them

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I make effort posts about all sort of spergy poo poo about this show and books.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You can't tell my effort posts apart from my shitposts because I'm a moron

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Here's a good sperg: tyrion never gave the moon clans the vale of arryn, even though he returned to westeros as the hand of the queen. lannisters aren't really that great at paying their debts tbh.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I make effort posts about all sort of spergy poo poo about this show and books.

I just bought the books to read for the next week while my power is out because of Hurricane Irma :sun: first time read-through

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Propaganda Machine posted:

Rhaegar was an introverted, bookworm musician before he got obsessed with prophecy and decided he needed to be a knight.

Him being a slight dude who looks like Viserys is 100% fine, to me. Should have bought a new wig tho.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They put Sean Bean's severed head(or a prop replica of it) on a pike. They let non-Lena Headey walk naked through a city full of people throwing poop at her. They stabbed Robb's unborn fetus in it's face, multiple times. They hanged flayed people(or props) around a castle. :nallears:

Hope the GW Bush head reappears for the Dany poo poo scene

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Constant posted:

I just bought the books to read for the next week while my power is out because of Hurricane Irma :sun: first time read-through

I can't wait to see your reaction to the ages of the characters.

Don't forget to join us in the Bad Thread when you're done.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Here's a good sperg: tyrion never gave the moon clans the vale of arryn, even though he returned to westeros as the hand of the queen. lannisters aren't really that great at paying their debts tbh.

Tywin gave them a bunch of weapons which was apparently enough to make them happy and go away. The knights of the vale prob wrecked their poo poo in combat and took it all though lol

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Constant posted:

You can still back out it's not too late. He doesn't write and never will :negative:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've tried to read the books a few times and the farthest I ever got was like 75 pages. That's probably more a reflection on me than on them though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

You can still back out it's not too late. He doesn't write and never will :negative:

Will I regret it as much as Deadwood?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The average quality of the books isn't that much better than the average quality of the show. It's not worth it, especially with how much of a slog it turns into. And the fact that they'll never have an ending.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
counterpoint: read the books if you are having fun reading the books. I thought the books were fun to read and do not expect him to finish another and that's fine because the show will fill in the last plot points, such as jamie's face turn, and kelly c getting killed and getting pooped on, and theon getting kicked in the not-dick.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The books are so much better.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Constant posted:

Will I regret it as much as Deadwood?

It's more that it's unfinished and shows no sign of coming out anytime soon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goons are awful self-loathers who don't like anything. The first 3 books are much better and none of them are amazing, but they are fun reads. If you enjoy fun your best bet is to not read this thread full of nerds angry about their precious Westeros and how well-written it could be

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The books are a lot better up through a storm of swords.

After that ehhhhhhhhhh its good and better than season 6 and 7 for sure.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The biggest flaw of book 4 and 5 is that they spent a lot of time fleshing out background details and minor incidents without moving the main plot forward much, which is pretty much the exact opposite of S7.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goons are awful self-loathers who don't like anything. The first 3 books are much better and none of them are amazing, but they are fun reads. If you enjoy fun your best bet is to not read this thread full of nerds angry about their precious Westeros and how well-written it could be

I think someone who reads the books is more self-loathing than someone who doesn't.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The average quality of the books isn't that much better than the average quality of the show.

Are you just talking about Season 1? That's the only one where the quality was close.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i used to teach middle school and when the kids would get out of control i would make them put their heads down and i'd read aloud from Game of Thrones

they loving hated it

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Did they burn the bodies after the castle black battle? Zombie Ygritte is going to be the one to kill Jon. It's like poetry.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The average quality of the books isn't that much better than the average quality of the show. It's not worth it, especially with how much of a slog it turns into. And the fact that they'll never have an ending.

Oh i'm definitely gonna read the books. It was just a total bummer to enjoy and get invested into Deadwood only to discover it abruptly end at season 3 :ohdear:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Efexeye posted:

i used to teach middle school and when the kids would get out of control i would make them put their heads down and i'd read aloud from Game of Thrones

they loving hated it

Was this before sunset found her squatting in the grass?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Book 1-3 are really good.

Book 4-5 slow way the gently caress down, but at least all the setting up ends up having a satisfactory conclusion instead of being aborted.

MereenDaenerys' plot is way more interesting in the books than in the show.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

MereenDaenerys' plot is way more interesting in the books than in the show.

IRC, Tyrion ends up being a slave for a 500kg morbidly obese master. The master catches dysentery during the siege of Mereen and Tyrion has to haul buckets of watery diarrhea that spray from his grotesque mega rear end. And then there are also the slave soldiers who are forced by their master to walk on stalks cause he is a retard and thinks it looks cool and intimidating. They get cut down in a second by real non-clown soldiers.

What I'm saying here is that the Mereen plot is actually cool in the books and you should read them. Strong Belwas cuts down fools and eats buckets of fried honey locusts like you wouldn't believe it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So what's the hand wavy explanation for the iron bank being willing to give Cersei more gold? Are they so unaware of the fact that Cersei pillaged highgarden and that's the only reason she suddenly has a large sum of cash lying around and that she's not going to be able to produce such sums in the future? her and her house have been shirking on payments since Robert's time, assuming she paid all existing debt at once that sum would be astronomic, and the only reason for her to do that is if the iron bank would be willing to give her even more money, which makes absolutely no sense, and really if she's already holding such a massive sum of money why not just use it to simply hire the golden company?

I guess they had to check the "resolve iron bank loose ends" box in their list but it really makes no sense and was pretty unnecessary all-in-all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, them even being willing to give her money as Dany's army comes in with dragons doesn't make any sense, but nothing does anymore because we are on the roller coaster to the finish!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not that it really made sense that the Iron Bank was willing to back the loser stuck in the middle of nowhere in the book.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They back everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drunken officeparty posted:

Did they burn the bodies after the castle black battle? Zombie Ygritte is going to be the one to kill Jon. It's like poetry.

Yeah he took her body to the northern side of Wall and burned it.

• Locked thread