Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Dear Guy Who Writes Dustin,

Young people drink water now. It is not because they are cheap, it is because young people actually like drinking water. It's better for them than soda. Young people order water at restaurants all the time. If the waitress were working there for more than a day, she would be familiar with the concept and not feel the need to get a sick burn on her potential tippers. Have you ever met a young person or a waitress?

Sincerely,
Julet Esqu

You forget how far comic strip writers are behind the cultural zeitgeist. This is a 90s era 'What's up with bottled water' joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just realized what this Luann storyline is leading into. Bernice is going to freak the gently caress out when she finds out Luann spends time with a THIEF and go full on stalker mode to dig up everything and anything about her. And she'll be 100% justified by it as well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Tyrannus

It looks like old Tina's Groove isn't coming back, but I wanted something to fill the void. A disaster in slow motion. The slow death and zombification of a beloved hero.

That's a nice way of saying 'gently caress you you're getting early Gilchrist Nancy.' It's actually kind of fascinating in its own way, since there are still identifiable attempts at jokes and minimal shouting about Jesus & poo poo from The Good Old Days.

Tunicate posted:

You forget how far comic strip writers are behind the cultural zeitgeist. This is a 90s era 'What's up with bottled water' joke.
Never forget the cup saga.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Just realized what this Luann storyline is leading into. Bernice is going to freak the gently caress out when she finds out Luann spends time with a THIEF and go full on stalker mode to dig up everything and anything about her. And she'll be 100% justified by it as well.

That sounds too interesting. On the other hand we're about due for an Ox/Mr Grey story.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

I actually like this one because it's a fat joke but the fat kid is smug and happy about the turn of events. He's in on it. Good for him.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

TenCentFang posted:

I actually like this one because it's a fat joke but the fat kid is smug and happy about the turn of events. He's in on it. Good for him.

Yeah it's good :unsmith:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Yeah, I like it when Gilchrist hadn't gotten confident enough yet to start screwing with the art and going joke commando. I was talking about Nancy with my parents the other day and looked up the various intermediary Nancys; at the very least they all, even (the) Gilchrist(s), knew the art was important and did a good job emulating Bushmiller.

edit: Maybe after twenty years he contracted some sort of Nashville brain bug that made him stupid. That's like a tragedy.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 7, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm 99% sure Brad Gilchrist was holding Guy back from going full :what: immediately. Picking through the archive, I noticed a steep drop in quality right around when Brad left(mid-late 2000s, I forget the exact year).

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack This is a texting joke, right?

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Is that someone or just a random Bandar?

That's Babudan, the greatest tracker and hunter of the Bandar.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

gleebster posted:

That's Babudan, the greatest tracker and hunter of the Bandar.

Did Babudan just put an arrow through body armor? Because that's metal as gently caress.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The only think that can elude Babudan is his receding hairline.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
It Was Only a Dream Midsummer Day Dreams(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (December, 1918, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (November, 1922, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (March, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (July, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Barkeater Lake

Lucky Cow

Spirit of the Staircase

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

The full strip:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set discusses cause and effect.

Working Daze is...what? What?

What?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix kinda loses the thread there.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

You can tell the Curtis writer is old because, besides the whole "what's this new fangled rap the kids are into these days" thing the dad has going on, the sibling barbs are hilariously tame and boring. Like I'm not saying they should be calling each other cocksuckers, but man, I can't imagine growing up in an era where telling your brother his socks smell bad was biting snark.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 10, 1930)

Peanuts (September 10, 1970)

Sally Forth

Mopey Pete's Big Score!

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 28, 1931)

And now, an Out Our Way content bomb. (October 13-18, 1930)

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Julet Esqu posted:

1. NO!! Not SEEEEX!!!! Dear God, she's only 18!!
2. Luann, you dumb bitch, you live with a theater person. Your ex boyfriend of a million years was a theater person. You know a person who was in a movie and you may or may not have also been in it. You have an IRL musical about you. gently caress.

Didn't she also go on that dumb trip to New York? Did she seriously not even go see a broadway show? God, Luann, what the hell

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

2. Luann, you dumb bitch, you live with a theater person. Your ex boyfriend of a million years was a theater person.
Do you think she pays any attention to the things her friends like or do?

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns
There's a clock on the laptop though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Did Babudan just put an arrow through body armor? Because that's metal as gently caress.
If it didn't have a ceramic or whatever plate in it kevlar is weak against sharp things, last I checked.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

sweetguts posted:

Didn't she also go on that dumb trip to New York? Did she seriously not even go see a broadway show? God, Luann, what the hell

Isn't broadway expensive as gently caress these days?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Luann might have gone to see a show on the the Great White Way that was less rock and roll than Sesame Street on Ice. I have no problem believing that.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She did spend the trip hanging out with Pru's friends, who are also all theater people. You'd think they'd have at least dragged her to one of their Off-Off-Off-Off-Off-Off-Off-Off-Broadway productions.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Why do so many of these comics unironically mirror "Comics for the Elderly" from Super Fun Pack?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CommaToes posted:

Why do so many of these comics unironically mirror "Comics for the Elderly" from Super Fun Pack?
What did you think that was making fun of?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Do you think she pays any attention to the things her friends like or do?

There's a clock on the laptop though.

CLOCKS DESTROYED: 5/1000

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I hate myself, so I checked. Here's what Luann and Bern did in NYC (April 2016, if you also hate yourself):
-Stayed in a tiny room
-Walked around while wearing earrings
-Looked at some kind of nebulously defined museum (or told Pru they did, anyway. We didn't see it)
-Ate some GROSS AND YUCKY Korean Food (intestines and silkworm larvae. Shut up about the sushi and the caviar, Luann)
-Got kicked out of a nightclub immediately for being underage
-Stayed up past bedtime like big girls (they were incredibly proud of this)
-Rode the subway
-Got a cab

...aaand apparently Pru did set them up to go see some horrific-sounding show starring her buddies, but either they went and we weren't told or they blew it off.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

sweeperbravo posted:

They do, but every other characterization of sluggo would make him be one of the kids whose print handwriting is illegible and who would be "too lazy" to ever choose to write in cursive.
They don't teach cursive in our schools, haven't for over half a decade. It's sad to see my son and daughter sign things.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fondue posted:

They don't teach cursive in our schools, haven't for over half a decade. It's sad to see my son and daughter sign things.

They definitely are still teaching it, it just doesn't stick.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

love to go to a sports bar with my wife, order a couple ice-cold pints of meconium, and resent our children

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

They definitely are still teaching it, it just doesn't stick.
And let's be real, why would it? I don't think I've encountered cursive anywhere outside of signatures(where it really just matters that it's identifiably yours) & fancy fonts(which are getting used less in favor of things that look kind of cursive-ish while still being identifiable non-cursive letters) in recent memory.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Cursive/joined letters is way faster and better for note taking, if you're taught to do it properly. Which I always assumed was the point.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Again, I don't know what Jimmy's lead time is like, but he put up a blog post about Harvey and Houston on August 29. Of course, when you're thinking about living on and around the Gulf Coast, you can't not think about hurricanes, but I doubt he would have made them a casual bullet point in a gag in the wake of this presently insane hurricane season.

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 20, 1996)

Garfield Classic (January 20, 1986)

:eng101: Cats do seek shelter inside engine compartments during cold weather, so be sure to give your hood a good thump to startle away any cats that might be napping in there!

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

More stupid people have just turned up to commit suicide by Modesty Blaise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread