Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

From Spider-Man/Deadpool #21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
"Even when he's trapped under big machines!"

:allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Fighting alien pants" is the best descriptor of the symbiont that I've heard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not a panel per se, but whatevs

https://twitter.com/axelalonsomarv/status/905821881382690818

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chip Zdarsky is basically the living embodiment of funny panels:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Chip Zdarsky is basically the living embodiment of funny panels:

Matt: "You can see it too, right?"

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Uncanny X-Men #121

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

nerdman42 posted:

Uncanny X-Men #121

Oh no, a giant arctic owl!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is that first panel supposed to be some sort of mid-transformation pose, or does her face always look like that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh no, a giant arctic owl!

What happens when a giant arctic owl is struck by lightning?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

prefect posted:

It becomes a giant arctic ow.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

prefect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0yKSNq-oLg&t=13s

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Is that first panel supposed to be some sort of mid-transformation pose, or does her face always look like that?

Mid-transformation. Snowbirds powers were always kinda lame (fitting for Alpha Flight). "Oh, no! She can turn into any arctic animal! How will we ever face off against a snow fox? Guess I'll just use my eye lasers/total control over the weather/indestructible metal hide/cut-trough-anything-claws..."

Until she could turn into a white Sasquatch she was dead weight along with Puck. At least Puck was cool.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Mid-transformation. Snowbirds powers were always kinda lame (fitting for Alpha Flight). "Oh, no! She can turn into any arctic animal! How will we ever face off against a snow fox? Guess I'll just use my eye lasers/total control over the weather/indestructible metal hide/cut-trough-anything-claws..."

Until she could turn into a white Sasquatch she was dead weight along with Puck. At least Puck was cool.

What WERE Puck's powers?

1. Excellent gymnast.
2. Can fit in small places
3. Knows Wolverine

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

10 Beers posted:

What WERE Puck's powers?

1. Excellent gymnast.
3. Knows Wolverine

Perfect dick punching height and a willingness to use it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

10 Beers posted:

What WERE Puck's powers?

1. Excellent gymnast.
3. Knows Wolverine

He can do cartwheels so that he kinda looks like a hockey puck. Get it, "Puck"? Because they're Canadian, you see.

The ability to actually transform into a chunk of vulcanized rubber would be too much on-the-nose, though.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

10 Beers posted:

What WERE Puck's powers?

1. Excellent gymnast.
3. Knows Wolverine

He was also, IIRC, preternaturally tough; there was something about him being a seven foot tall dude compressed to a smaller form (because he had a demon living inside him) that made him more dense, or some nonsense like that.

Oh, and he was a living prison for a demon. That too, I guess.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

10 Beers posted:

What WERE Puck's powers?

1. Excellent gymnast.
3. Knows Wolverine

4. Secretly tall but swallowed a sword.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

5. When he hits bad guys they lose their two front teeth. Every time.

prefect posted:

He can do cartwheels so that he kinda looks like a hockey puck. Get it, "Puck"? Because they're Canadian, you see.

The ability to actually transform into a chunk of vulcanized rubber would be too much on-the-nose, though.

Could have at least given him Speedball-like powers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He would bounce off of stuff, right?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

davidspackage posted:

"Fighting alien pants" is the best descriptor of the symbiont that I've heard.

Between that and that old Nova issue from the 90's where Rich jokes that Venom is basically Spider-Man fighting his dirty laundry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

He was also, IIRC, preternaturally tough; there was something about him being a seven foot tall dude compressed to a smaller form (because he had a demon living inside him) that made him more dense, or some nonsense like that.

Oh, and he was a living prison for a demon. That too, I guess.

The demon part is supposed to make the name more a Shakespeare thing than 'lol canada amirite', I think.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Gaz-L posted:

The demon part is supposed to make the name more a Shakespeare thing than 'lol canada amirite', I think.

I think there was byrne/mantlo fight where Byrne wanted him to be this mischievous/tortured soul inspired by Midsummer Night, but Mantlo turned him into a living hockey puck.

That type of tension is how you create a classic cult character, IMO. I love Puck

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Puck is like the character everyone agrees to not use in Goldeneye because his hitbox is broken.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
On one hand I really have no interest in the Inhumans, but on the other hand I really want to read this Ryan North Lockjaw backup.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

On one hand I really have no interest in the Inhumans, but on the other hand I really want to read this Ryan North Lockjaw backup.

I must know what title this is and purchase it immediately.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Proteus Jones posted:

I must know what title this is and purchase it immediately.

It's apparently from the backup story in Inhumans: Once and Future Kings.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finally.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's apparently from the backup story in Inhumans: Once and Future Kings.

First issue was pretty good. At the very least it has Phil Noto on art.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Puck rules, and I loved the weird disparities in power-level that the original Alpha Flight had. They were all, in a certain sense, redundant-- Sasquatch was just another strong/smart guy, Vindicator was another guy in power-suit except his was more liable to melt him, Marrina was a weaker Namor who might maul you out of nowhere, Box was a lovely Iron Man, Smart Alec was a lovely, I don't know, Wingless Wizard, etc. etc.. I liked that rather than the requisite non-powered athlete guy being generically good at fighting (like Captain America or Black Widow) or specialized in one weapon (like Hawkeye) he was very focused on being little and gnarly and doing sick flips. I want to see a one-shot where he pals around with Batroc and they show off their fancy leaps to each other.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Northstar's power was homosexuality.

:allears:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Alright, I give; why was it people's business this time?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The bolding in the "I" in that word balloon makes me think he's just responding dramatically to someone asking "Does anyone know a gay person?"

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keeshhound posted:

Alright, I give; why was it people's business this time?

According to Wikipedia, he found a random baby in an alley, adopted it, and then it died of AIDs, so he came out to raise awareness. I have no idea why he's jumping, although if dramatic proclamations while leaping through the air was a gay stereotype, I wanna reclaim it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Backalley AIDS Baby needs to make a reappearance in Ultimates.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TenCentFang posted:

According to Wikipedia, he found a random baby in an alley, adopted it, and then it died of AIDs, so he came out to raise awareness. I have no idea why he's jumping, although if dramatic proclamations while leaping through the air was a gay stereotype, I wanna reclaim it.

That somehow manages to make even less sense than the Elf With A Gun killer, and that was intentionally random.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I always thought shaman was a neat character though Lord knows not much was done with him

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I always thought Alpha Flight was the most garbage of garbage teams, but now I realize that they're secretly the Order of the Stick and Puck is Belkar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nilbop posted:

I always thought Alpha Flight was the most garbage of garbage teams, but now I realize that they're secretly the Order of the Stick and Puck is Belkar.

Please do not ruin my love of Alpha Flight by comparing them to webcomics.