Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmao i am never going to get the third chaos emerald it is simply beyond my abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

lmao i am never going to get the third chaos emerald it is simply beyond my abilities

Once you've bagged all the emeralds the first time you'll wonder how you ever had so much trouble.

Try going for rings primarily on the first lap and stay in mach two, you can still catch the UFO but it's much easier to stay in control than in mach three.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Once you've bagged all the emeralds the first time you'll wonder how you ever had so much trouble.

Try going for rings primarily on the first lap and stay in mach two, you can still catch the UFO but it's much easier to stay in control than in mach three.

:yeah:

I needed 3+ tries at most emerald stages past the second one, swear I had 8+ on the second last one... but then it clicked, I started avoiding spheres after hitting Mach 2 and suddenly everything was super simple and I got the last stage on the second try.

With this knowledge, I started a new Solo Sonic run last night for shits and had all the emeralds by Hydrocity (including a couple of dumb failures)

I think... I might soon be ready to finally tackle Knuckles & Knuckles.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In all seriousness, Sonic R Mania, right now. Base the gameplay on the mach system, see if the physics can be made to accommodate slopes, give that terrible, terrible game proof that the concept was at least workable.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CuteEmergency/status/905965189203460096

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4vJbDuCEqE

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Taxman did a lengthy interview with Rolling Stone, of all things, about the making of Mania and the iOS ports before it, and the back and forth with Sonic Team throughout the process.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rolling Stone has been doing better games journalism than games journalists lately.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NecroMonster posted:

Remember to take short cuts (either cutting corners with jumps, or just the faster alternative routes in general) when you can. It gets a lot easier to catch the UFO even in Mach 2 that way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rolling Stone has been doing better games journalism than games journalists lately.

That's not a high bar to clear; I've thrown up things that qualify as better games journalism than what most games journalists can crank out, and I rarely take the time to fact-check my puke. I'm going to chug a gallon of expired milk and go for a jog and then submit the results to Polygon -- I got a good shot at taking Justin McElroy's place.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's because Rolling Stone has actual journalists. Games journalists aren't real journalists and only slightly above the interns and bloggers at places like Buzzfeed.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's because Rolling Stone has actual journalists. Games journalists aren't real journalists and only slightly above the interns and bloggers at places like Buzzfeed.
The only videogames people I follow that do anything at all like journalism are Jim Sterling and Super Bunnyhop. Sterling is bogged down by his stage persona and bad opinions but he does actually research what he's talking about. Super Bunnyhop isn't very prolific and is somewhat eclectic in what he covers but does some very solid investigative journalism pieces on occasion, like his recent video on tax evasion.

Everyone else I follow for their ~personality~ and because generally gameplay videos are a better judge of a game than written reviews.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I should have put an asterisk on my post and mentioned Superbunnyhop. George always surprises me with what he's tackling.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Games journalism is good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Games journalism the Dark Souls of journalism?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
When I die, I want a viking funeral.
I want my body to be put on a small wooden boat and pushed out on fire in to the sea at night whilst LRZ Act 2 is played as loud as possibly, drifting off in to the darkness.

Alternatively, if that is too extravagant just throw me in to a cattle grinder whilst the boss theme to Sonic CD US is played and yes everyone has to watch.

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 8, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

The only videogames people I follow that do anything at all like journalism are Jim Sterling and Super Bunnyhop. Sterling is bogged down by his stage persona and bad opinions but he does actually research what he's talking about. Super Bunnyhop isn't very prolific and is somewhat eclectic in what he covers but does some very solid investigative journalism pieces on occasion, like his recent video on tax evasion.

Everyone else I follow for their ~personality~ and because generally gameplay videos are a better judge of a game than written reviews.

Superbunny hop is good.

Jim Sterling is weird and has a bizarre stage persona and yes, often has bad opinions, but who doesn't? I kind of respect him... in a strange way. He's a strange guy.

Both of these guys are pretty much independent youtubers as well. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting. It's been said before, but what's nice about more independent guys is that it's someone with a face and you get to know what their tastes and sensibilities are. With something like IGN, you don't know anything about that anonymous person throwing out review scores and what their tastes are.

It's not uncommon for these reviewers to get thrown out of their element - like that American guy on IGN who gave a Football Manager game a scathing review as he wasn't a big fan of the genre and didn't know much about soccer.

This is important because believe it or not, it's literally impossible to be an expert on all video games. I know a lot about platformers and 2D fighters and like other genres, but I'm totally not qualified to judge an RTS or modern shooters as they're just not things I'm into. Games are a bigger time sink than movies and the typical game journalist just doesn't have enough time to form a really good opinion on one. There's also a lot of games that are fun for the first few hours but start to fall apart at the seams as time goes on, such as Metal Gear Solid V or Final Fantasy XV.

People who are on their own or in small groups also aren't obligated to review everything that comes out so they can spend more time on a game and get a better opinion of it.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 8, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
superbunnyhop is ok but goddamn he just sounds so loving bored or like low key angry with a very know it all vibe to it. I don't know how to exactly describe it but it turned me off his videos.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ronnie posted:

When I die, I want a viking funeral.
I want my body to be put on a small wooden boat and pushed out on fire in to the sea at night whilst LVZ Act 2 is played as loud as possibly, drifting off in to the darkness.

Alternatively, if that is too extravagant just throw me in to a cattle grinder whilst the boss theme to Sonic CD US is played and yes everyone has to watch.

GRIND THAT SUCKA TO DEATH

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
*work

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Come on, now

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Come on, now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I used to read IGN but they got super poo poo in like, the 90s. Then I read Gamestop but then IGN killed them. Then I read Rock, Paper, Shotgun and that was good for awhile but then it kinda went down in quality too.

Nobody who wants to write about videogames understands editing, apparently.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

superbunnyhop is ok but goddamn he just sounds so loving bored or like low key angry with a very know it all vibe to it. I don't know how to exactly describe it but it turned me off his videos.

He doesn't sound bored to me but he does sound legitimately annoyed to have to play the games he reviews or something, which is very odd.

But i'll take it over 99% of youtube who either impersonates PewDiePie or Egoraptor. I'm getting so loving sick of those joke styles. Its just the same poo poo over and over and over. High pitched voices! Deep voices! Extreme Zoom in! Slow mo! So wacky.
By comparison superbunnyhop is practically monotone and... its kinda refreshing. You can actually focus on what he's talking about and not just how he's saying it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Super "George Wide-Man" Bunnyhop is good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ventana posted:

Remember to take short cuts (either cutting corners with jumps, or just the faster alternative routes in general) when you can. It gets a lot easier to catch the UFO even in Mach 2 that way.

Also remember to jump on the tight turns when you're going fast since it'll stop your momentum a bit.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

He mentioned throwing his body into a grinder.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ah, apologies. I gave the quoted post a quick glance but i missed that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm sad that we didn't get a work that sucker to death mix for the Metallic Madness boss now

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

If we're talking about games journalism, I listen to a bunch of podcasts and watch a lot of videos. For simple news and reviews, I guess I would rely mainly on the giant bombcast. For deeper analysis, probably Ahoy, Super Bunnyhop, and No Cartridge. For goof on goofs, Polygon and the goofier vids Giant Bomb does. There's other stuff I'm into but I don't want to get too deep into it.

Also there's a dead podcast called A Life Well Wasted that did a lot of looking into the world of games and their history that's worth listening through.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lol if you need someone to tell you an ubisoft game will be bad

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

lol if you need someone to tell you an ubisoft game will be bad

on the other hand, it's handy to have someone tell you when the rare good Ubi game comes out

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

no one should hate Omega

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zelder posted:

He mentioned throwing his body into a grinder.

Sonic Mania should be rated M for Mature because you can put Tails into a woodchipper in it

TFRazorsaw posted:

no one should hate Omega

I don't hate Omega, I just usually forget he exists and I think Sega has as well

That said, Omega is like the edgy edgelord version of E-102 Gamma and the original is better in every way. In SA1 Gamma's levels were very fun and it was sad when he died. Omega has appeared in more games but has left way less of an impression

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Omega and Gamma, as always, are completely different characters with a different set of intent behind them and really shouldn't be compared.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my boy gamma did the right thing up until the very end. a true hero

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Omega is cool and good except in sonic06 where they made him really dull.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Like did they cut a scene where he had a robot lobotomy i don't get it 'angry robot' isn't a difficult character to write

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr Phillby posted:

Omega is cool and good except in sonic06 where they made him really dull.

My favorite part of Omega in 06 is they didn't have time to implement a robot voice filter for him like they planned, so it's just the actor talking while they play robot noises

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

no one should hate Omega

Minus Gravity Detected

Mysterious Vegetation is Grindable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em