Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

VideoGames posted:

I am very much a fan of Borderlands and if BL3 is some big sprawling visit tons of borderworlds big madness then I would enjoy that quite a lot too.

Do not spoil a good thing by adding purchasable loot boxes or inappropriate multiplayer, Gearbox please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm expecting Borderlands 3 to have more outsourced dlc and to take the golden key system to its logical conclusion

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The names and loretext of gear in Destiny always seemed neat to me from someone who has only watched it from a distance

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You'll only be able to get good guns in Borderlands 3 if you also buy Aliens: Colonial Marines HD Edition.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I recently found out that the library down the street from me stocks a BUNCH of video games. Played through Titanfall 2 last week and picked up Nier: Automata yesterday :woop:

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Is Destiny 2 worth getting if I only care about a good single player campaign, interesting loot and character progression, never played Destiny 1 (for no particular reason) and if I was totally bored with Borderlands 2 in all these regards? I have a Pro and the money to spare and the footage I've seen of Destiny 2 looks and sounds amazing, but if it's a grindy MMO above all else I'll pass.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Weapons and armor poo poo out of every single thing in Destiny 2. By the time you reach the cap you'll have a fuckton of glimmer and mats from all the stuff you broke down. It's such a nice change. And gently caress, at the cap all the NPC's were just giving me poo poo left and right. And I still have a ton of new quests and things to do that just opened up. Which will, again, poo poo more items at me.

D2 rules. If you were burned by D1 - even the xpacs - D2 is worth another look!

E:

The SP campaign is about 10 hours so on par with other FPS' but as I mentioned - even more quests unlock and then there is weekly challenges, different types of PVP if that's your thing and also the raid unlocks next week too.

Hope into the thread - there's a discord setup - almost 3 full guilds have been made and im sure a new one will be made soon.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Revenge VS matches in Everybody's Golf are cheating bullshit and I hate them. No I can't loving beat you with your impossible rear end dipshit F1 backspin right-into-the-hole and complete inability to ever miss a shot.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
which story's more juicy out of persona 5 and pillars of eternity.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

sicDaniel posted:

Is Destiny 2 worth getting if I only care about a good single player campaign, interesting loot and character progression, never played Destiny 1 (for no particular reason) and if I was totally bored with Borderlands 2 in all these regards? I have a Pro and the money to spare and the footage I've seen of Destiny 2 looks and sounds amazing, but if it's a grindy MMO above all else I'll pass.

What games do you like in this regard? One game you didn't play and one you didn't like isn't much to go on!

Just playing through the campaign solo doesn't require any kind of grinding if you don't want to. It's just a fairly linear mission based FPS campaign with open areas that have optional quests and repeatable content if you want to grind. There isn't that much interesting loot and character progression though. For loot it'll mostly be incrementally more powerful guns and armour and gradually unlocking different (but not necessarily more powerful) archtypes and skills for the class you're playing. This lets you customise your character/loadout, but you don't really end up with anything that would resemble distinct "builds" in other games.

If you're playing it as a single campaign some aspects of it will suffer due to it also having the MMO thing going on and not being a dedicated single player game (pausing, changing difficulty, the way it treats death and checkpoints etc). If you like the setting and mechanics it might be worth it. There are other recent Sci-fi FPS games that have better dedicated single player campaigns like Titanfall 2 and the (surprisingly good) CoD In Space.

Even though I like it and mostly play it single player, I'd be hesitant to recommend it as a single player campaign game, mostly for the MMO limitations I mentioned. I like it because I enjoy just chilling out and shooting some aliens (the shooting aliens aspect of it is very good) while I unwind, which you can't do in a more traditional purely linear FPS campaign. I just do a campaign mission now and then and will probably finish the story one day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

snoremac posted:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gravy Jones posted:

This lets you customise your character/loadout, but you don't really end up with anything that would resemble distinct "builds" in other games.

Disappointing. Along with some other stuff in your post.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I always have to look up which PoE is which. I enjoyed it on PC, but games like that always feel way too fiddly on a console to me. In terms of story, while it has some original ideas, it's still fairly standard fantasy stuff. I can't think of any definition of the word where I would consider the story "Juicy" and certainly not in comparison to something like Persona 5... a game that is possibly too juicy for me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I would say the 3 subclasses for Hunter, Titan and Warlock play a little different but it's mostly right - the bulk of your time is running, gunning and jumping. At least from the Warlock perspective they broke things up. For instance, the void locks can choose between a punch that regains health or one that makes your grenades even better.

quote:

Destiny 2 Warlock Voidwalker Attunement of Chaos Perks:

Chaos Accelerant - Hold left shoulder button to draw energy from your Super Ability to overcharge your grenade, making it deadlier.
Bloom - Void ability kills cause enemies to explode.
Cataclysm - Nova Bomb seeks out enemies, fire your weapon at the bomb to detonate it earlier.
Entropic Pull - Strike an enemy with your Melee to recharge your grenade.

Destiny 2 Warlock Voidwalker Attunement of Hunger Perks:

Devour - Killing an enemy with this Melee ability fully restores your health.
Feed the Void - Hold left shoulder button to consume your Grenade energy and regenerate your health.
Insatiable - While Devour is active, killing an enemy extends its duration and recharges your Grenade.
Vortex - Nova Bomb creates a spot that continually damages enemies trapped inside.

Here's the Palpatine lightning god builds.

quote:

Destiny 2 Warlock Stormcaller Attunement of Ions Perks:

Chain Lightning - Delivers a single Arc Lightning melee strike, that then chains to nearby enemies.
Transcendence - Stormtrance lasts longer if cast with full grenade and melee energy.
Arc Web - Enemies damaged by your grenades chain Arc Lightning damage to nearby enemies.
Ionic Blink - While in Stormtrance, press the sprint button to teleport.

Destiny 2 Warlock Stormcaller Attunement of the Elements Perks:

Gale Force - This Arc Lightning melee ability hits at range, and restores your grenade and melee energy.
Landfall - When you cast Stormtrance, a wave of Arc Lightning shoots out to the ground beneath you.
Rising Storm - Your Rift ability charges faster while allies are nearby.
Arc Soul - Your Rift ability now grants you an Arc Soul ally in battle.

So you can play with those and see what mode you like best. I feel it's a much better system than what was in D1. It's 2 builds per subclass per element of which you get 3 and there are 3 classes in the game.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Gravy Jones posted:

I always have to look up which PoE is which. I enjoyed it on PC, but games like that always feel way too fiddly on a console to me. In terms of story, while it has some original ideas, it's still fairly standard fantasy stuff. I can't think of any definition of the word where I would consider the story "Juicy" and certainly not in comparison to something like Persona 5... a game that is possibly too juicy for me.

I'd define juicy as involving me in a good plot without getting too anime. I get Persona's an anime game but if it's not like Xenoblade or a mopey Final Fantasy I could dig it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

snoremac posted:

I'd define juicy as involving me in a good plot without getting too anime. I get Persona's an anime game but if it's not like Xenoblade or a mopey Final Fantasy I could dig it.

Persona is very anime. Still a good game though

E: id say it's better than xenosaga with clichés, but has more than an average ff

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I was going to play Skyrim for the first time soon, buying the SE for PS4. Is it true that all mods prevent trophies, even just graphical mods?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I believe so. Bethesda really wants you to play their game the way they meant to before modding if you care for trophies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You must earn your digital participation trophies fair and square

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macarius Wrench posted:

Yeah, gamecube had great buttons too. Every other console I've used - bad buttons

Check out the Switch Pro controller. It's got nice and big buttons. Satisfying to press. They're pretty unique.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

The Revenge VS matches in Everybody's Golf are cheating bullshit and I hate them. No I can't loving beat you with your impossible rear end dipshit F1 backspin right-into-the-hole and complete inability to ever miss a shot.

I was wondering what to expect moving forward since I just reached rank 6... I guess this gives me an indication. Lovely.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
persona 5 =

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Borderlands literally has slot machines to help find decent guns and the pre-sequel is incredibly ugly.

I think the part you're leaving out is that the slot machines use in game money (which is basically infinite), not real money. :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Check out the Switch Pro controller. It's got nice and big buttons. Satisfying to press. They're pretty unique.

Dat dpad tho

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Attitude Indicator posted:

Persona is very anime. Still a good game though

E: id say it's better than xenosaga with clichés, but has more than an average ff

I haven't played much 5 yet, but Persona 4 had a bath house episode and a beach/swimsuit episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The big difference between Borderlands and Destiny is that Borderlands has a world specifically crafted to play through once if you want to and it's still a satisfying and decently lengthy experience, with a bunch of variety and cool locations. Destiny vanilla was about 4 hours of actual, unique game and 16 hours of repeating content for a single playthrough. I could care less whatever post game content was added, because that's not what they released, or what I bought for $60 and I couldn't have driven any faster to trade it in after finishing it.

I think I'm still gonna redbox 2 though :lol:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Buys multiplayer game.

Refuses to do multiplayer things.

Whines.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Buys multiplayer game.

Refuses to do multiplayer things.

Whines.

What the hell are you talking about? I played the whole thing multiplayer. Unless you mean PVP which sucked balls.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

snoremac posted:

I've only played about a half hour of PoE but it's definitely Persona 5

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

veni veni veni posted:

What the hell are you talking about? I played the whole thing multiplayer. Unless you mean PVP which sucked balls.

quote:

I could care less whatever post game content was added, because that's not what they released, or what I bought for $60 and I couldn't have driven any faster to trade it in after finishing it.

That reads as you playing the single player portion and then returning it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was playing the campaign 3 player co-op. there was no specifically single player portion.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So your team didn't do the raids with 2 others? Strikes? Nightfalls?

Admittedly, there wasn't much there at release but there were things to do. And Vault of Glass is still considered the best raid in the game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

sicDaniel posted:

Is Destiny 2 worth getting if I only care about ...

"a good single player campaign": No
"interesting loot and character progression": No
"but if it's a grindy MMO above all else I'll pass.": You should pass

There'll probably be a free demo at some point that you can check out in half a year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

So your team didn't do the raids with 2 others? Strikes? Nightfalls?

Admittedly, there wasn't much there at release but there were things to do. And Vault of Glass is still considered the best raid in the game.

We did strikes but it was just the same thing over and over which was boring as crap. Vault of glass wasn't out when I sold it ,and I don't even remember what a nightfall is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are shaders in destiny the colors for your gear? If they made those one use only then tf is the point of playing it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Shaders are per-item colour schemes that come with a default of 5-ish uses.

They used to be global and non-consumable in D1.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Digirat posted:

Are shaders in destiny the colors for your gear? If they made those one use only then tf is the point of playing it

Destiny 1: A shader is a gear piece that can be equipped and unequipped. You can equip one at a time and it changes the color of all your armor, or replace it with another one and still have the first. Very rare drop and there's a menu of every shader you've ever found to pick from.

Destiny 2: A shader is an item that can be used once on a specific piece of gear. They affect only the piece they're used on (1 weapon, 1 of your 5 pieces of armor, etc). Once they're used they're gone and if you use a second one or ditch the gear you don't get it back. Very common drop and you usually get several of a particular shader when it happens. No menu.

Yeah, it's a step back (and sort of sideways since it didn't use to be possible to shade things that weren't armor), but if you aren't terribly concerned with making yourself look perfect it doesn't really affect anything.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 8, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Man I already play warframe, if I'm going to get into a different low quality grindy waste of time then the space barbie action at least needs to be on par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have standards for the festering garbage I play.