Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

hanales posted:

According to some (ex)friends of mine when I brought up voting records during the primaries, it's "Mysognist rear end in a top hat".

you don't have to talk about goons like they're real people

Chilichimp posted:

Realtalk, wtf is Verrit. I need a goon summary of why this keeps getting brought up.

I dunno, but I wish it would go away, it looks stupid but the guy who made it and is being a baby is probably making a boatload of cash while getting "owned" on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is this the DREAM Act already or is in reference to something else?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Realtalk, wtf is Verrit. I need a goon summary of why this keeps getting brought up.

What I gather so far is that it's like, this database of true facts maintained by a former Clinton operative, so if you make a meme with any factual assertions you can have the Clinton machine verify it as a true fact and give you a special code to put on the bottom of your meme. So if someone doesn't believe you, you can show them the verrit code. Or, alternatively, you can feel free to distrust any assertion not officially registered as true by this Peter Dauaua guy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Its gimmick is that it's a verifiable source for quotes and info ostensibly for fighting fake news. Anything posted from there gets an ID number to show it's valid.

That's it. In reality, anybody can post anything there, so the ID number is just site advertising and means nothing as to its validity.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

Is this the DREAM Act already or is in reference to something else?

This is the 3-month debt ceiling extension + hurricane Harvey relief fund

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Even though I liked Bernie's promises and rhetorical style better Clinton would have probably been a better president in terms of foreign policy which seems to be a pretty loving huge issue right now. Just in general she seemed to have more experience with the complex details of governing (seemingly, to me, a jackass with no knowledge of anything). But the hatred of "Bernie bros" and this stupid reaction against the "dirtbag left" whatever that is going on among the Clinton camp is getting really annoying and a little pathetic. I don't like the vibe of those pasty white chapo trap house nerds that much either but they weren't the reason Clinton lost the election.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Verrit is a platform that was supposed to let you put together some evidence behind a talking point, get a verification code, and use it in your social media arguments.

Where it has fallen completely on its face is in the content it peddles -- it reads like DPRK propaganda. It's probably already had its wings clipped; from the outset, it needed to be less focused on talking points vindicating Hillary and more focused on items that are common among most of the people under the Dem tent: climate change, human rights, etc.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I should note that Peter Daou was a member of the Lebanese Forces, a christofascist militia, and may or may not have taken part in the Sabra and Shatila Massacre.

Chilichimp posted:

It's some sort of weird psuedo-social media website where you can use codes to generate news stories. It's being brought up because Clinton tweeted support. It had a clownish launch where it didn't work at all, so people are laughing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

Even though I liked Bernie's promises and rhetorical style better Clinton would have probably been a better president in terms of foreign policy which seems to be a pretty loving huge issue right now. Just in general she seemed to have more experience with the complex details of governing (seemingly, to me, a jackass with no knowledge of anything). But the hatred of "Bernie bros" and this stupid reaction against the "dirtbag left" whatever that is going on among the Clinton camp is getting really annoying and a little pathetic. I don't like the vibe of those pasty white chapo trap house nerds that much either but they weren't the reason Clinton lost the election.

for only 29.95, we can find out the real reason Clinton lost the election.

on shelves September 12.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Reminder: If you're mad about the spoiler effect of third-party candidates, support stuff like FairVote.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BlueberryCanary posted:

This is the 3-month debt ceiling extension + hurricane Harvey relief fund

Thanks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hellblazer187 posted:

What I gather so far is that it's like, this database of true facts maintained by a former Clinton operative, so if you make a meme with any factual assertions you can have the Clinton machine verify it as a true fact and give you a special code to put on the bottom of your meme. So if someone doesn't believe you, you can show them the verrit code. Or, alternatively, you can feel free to distrust any assertion not officially registered as true by this Peter Dauaua guy.

it was also plugged by hillary clinton for some insane reason

TGLT posted:

correct, primary chat is really the domain of mp4

http://i.imgur.com/eQ0YBV1.mp4

don't abuse jojo's bizarre adventure like this :(

also, wow, the equifax stuff....

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

It's like news bites that are supposed to be verified so you can post them knowing you aren't participating in "fake news" and have numbers you can enter onto a website to prove it. For starters that's super clunky so it would never pick up in the first place, but then the added on lameness of it is it's being used to post some dishonest claims that are maybe technically true but taken out of context which doesn't really make it trustworthy. Then you have the guy in charge getting into public slapfights with everyone that's making fun of it which makes the whole thing unprofessional and juvenile.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Peter Daou has been a joke on the left for a while because of his unwavering devotion to Hillary. Had she won we may have had another Charles Guitteau situation

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xae posted:

The Hastert rule is completely informal and has been broken several times in the past.

I'm not sure that you know what the Hastert rule is. I do not believe Ryan has ever broken it. Boehner has, but not Ryan.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Why am I barely seeing anything about this Equifax poo poo outside of Twitter and an offhand mention on morning edition today

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

It is a attempt to use technology to solve a psychological problem.

It is dumb because tech, especially bad tech, can't solve problems that people don't want to solve. Tech can only make things easier, it can't do the whole thing.

Rigel posted:

I'm not sure that you know what the Hastert rule is. I do not believe Ryan has ever broken it

It is that the "Majority of the Majority" must approve of a bill. It isn't formal and Boehner broke it many times. Ryan has said he will only adhere to it for certain areas.

Even if Ryan changes his mind there is zero enforcement mechanism because it is a purely informal rule.

Xae fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 8, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kind of weird how they did this for the second major hurricane.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Casey Finnigan posted:

In my reading and experience, Berniebro is almost ubiquiteously used to describe a fake progressive of the kind that would virtue signal on race and probably flipped Trump in the general election. I'm a Bernie canvasser who became a Clinton canvasser, for example.

There are some liberals who ruthlessly and pointlessly attack *all* bernie supporters as bernie bros. They're being dumb, and they're not the majority. Same with the more tired variant of attacks on liberals coming from further left -- its a minority that is being signal amplified to try to elect President Bonerhitler in 2020, whoever the GOP decides that ought to be.

If you aren't some monster who flipped Bernie-->Trump, most of these attacks aren't aimed at you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Tatsuta Age posted:

Why am I barely seeing anything about this Equifax poo poo outside of Twitter and an offhand mention on morning edition today

Because the universe is doomed

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chilichimp posted:

The idea was that it'd fight fake news by making sound bite style single line quotes and claims and then assign each one a like 8 digit number that you could type(!) into their database and it'd show their sources and some article saying why it was true.

But then immediately it decided that it's goal was to "reflect the worldview of clinton voters" and that it was "news for the 65.8 million" (clinton voter count) and was super clinton focused. And a super openly biased truth based media outlet is pretty dumb, one with the worst imaginable grandpa interface concept is worse and then tying it specifically to clinton made it even more a target for everything ever.

It's basically a news source that is only pro hillary clinton and you have to type in a 8 digit number to read the story.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Chilichimp posted:

News Pinterest

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i hate how trump will say "heed the advice of local govt in regards to safely getting through/evacuating from a hurricane" because you get shits like the corpus christi mayor saying uhhhhh evac if you want big govt shouldnt dictate your life choices. JUST FUCKIN SAY GET OUT OF THERE THEY'LL LISTEN TO YOU, YOU ORANGE rear end.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

Its gimmick is that it's a verifiable source for quotes and info ostensibly for fighting fake news. Anything posted from there gets an ID number to show it's valid.

That's it. In reality, anybody can post anything there, so the ID number is just site advertising and means nothing as to its validity.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Lightning Lord posted:

I should note that Peter Daou was a member of the Lebanese Forces, a christofascist militia, and may or may not have taken part in the Sabra and Shatila Massacre.

It's some sort of weird psuedo-social media website where you can use codes to generate news stories. It's being brought up because Clinton tweeted support. It had a clownish launch where it didn't work at all, so people are laughing.

Radish posted:

It's like news bites that are supposed to be verified so you can post them knowing you aren't participating in "fake news" and have numbers you can enter onto a website to prove it. For starters that's super clunky so it would never pick up in the first place, but then the added on lameness of it is it's being used to post some dishonest claims that are maybe technically true but taken out of context which doesn't really make it trustworthy. Then you have the guy in charge getting into public slapfights with everyone that's making fun of it which makes the whole thing unprofessional and juvenile.

Okay, but... conservatives won't even trust SNOPES, why does this guy think the right will give a poo poo about this service that's backed by a loving Clinton?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tatsuta Age posted:

Mainline social media lags the press cycle 8-12 hours, and press is only just getting a handle on it right now. Expect Equifax to make a little noise this afternoon on cable and people to be just shocked and amazed (!) at how [the hand of capitalism is totally inadequate to protect individual privacy | regulation has made it so hard for businesses to do the right thing] (pick one).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Okay, but... conservatives won't even trust SNOPES, why does this guy think the right will give a poo poo about this service that's backed by a loving Clinton?

because he's an idiot

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tatsuta Age posted:

no idea, but it seems bad. like it's bad enough the US might be being repeat bodyslammed by hurricanes, but add this on top?

:yikes:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I totally misunderstood it then, because I thought it was something where you could collect data on a subject and then go "Here is the idea, and here is the data to back it up in a organized form". Which would be cool to have but wouldn't need code nonsense.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chilichimp posted:

That's basically one of the problems. GOP social media users will just stick to the official Trump news app (This is a thing now) and their conservative friends' facebook walls

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Why should he care about that? He's in it to make money. He wants Clinton supporters to use it and doesn't care if it's actually effective. He only needs for them to think it's effective.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chilichimp posted:

Why didn't he figure out a way to make the stories clickable links or something so you don't have to type an 8 number digit to even find out if the thing you looked at is official or just something someone photoshopped?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/906178829345058816

MindlessSpartan
Jul 22, 2007

An efficient, green vehicle with 5000 pounds of towing capacity.

Potato Salad posted:

If you aren't some monster who flipped Bernie-->Trump, most of these attacks aren't aimed at you.

These attacks are precisely aimed at the Bernie crowd who held their noses and voted for Hillary but still wound up with Trump as their President. They're getting attacked for pointing out the flaws in the Clinton campaign instead of letting her campaign blame everybody but themselves.

The people issuing these attacks also are minimizing the voices of women and PoC who have opposed Hillary from the left by trying to pretend it's just a bunch of white bros behind it.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why didn't he figure out a way to make the stories clickable links or something so you don't have to type an 8 number digit to even find out if the thing you looked at is official or just something someone photoshopped?

Too busy getting in his last few days of outdoor summer hoops

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Trump refuses to take responsibility for failures - a headline from any point between 1910 and now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deteriorata posted:

Why should he care about that? He's in it to make money.

yeaaaaaaaah you are going to have to describe to me how verrit is supposed to be monetized.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope Ryan is as miserable every day as I imagine he is.

To be fair to Trump if you were an idiot that listened to Republican messaging the GOP congress totally had a valid reason to gently caress Obamacare and an amazing great replacement lined up ready to go. The problem is he's as ignorant as their voter base.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Hellblazer187 posted:

Clinton writes a 500+ page book examining the election. One leaked page implicates Bernie and his supporters. Even if you disagree with the implication on that 1/512ths of the book, maybe read the whole book before screeching that "she blames everyone except herself" as I've seen a million times on FB already. The reaction to this one leak... kinda proves the point of what she was saying.

I feel like we've read different excerpts.

e: editing this because I don't want to relitigate the '16 primaries. I think Seth Meyers had the best take on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREjEuf52FU

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 8, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MindlessSpartan posted:

These attacks are precisely aimed at the Bernie crowd who held their noses and voted for Hillary but still wound up with Trump as their President. They're getting attacked for pointing out the flaws in the Clinton campaign instead of letting her campaign blame everybody but themselves.

The people issuing these attacks also are minimizing the voices of women and PoC who have opposed Hillary from the left by trying to pretend it's just a bunch of white bros behind it.

That's what it's like in here. This thread is very, very different from the real loving world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
"The Buck Stops Literally Anywhere Else, If a Buck Even Comes to a Rolling Stop Near Me, I Will Pass That poo poo" could conceivably fit on the Resolute Desk, it's pretty wide.

• Locked thread