Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

I'd be amazed if I'm alone in that thinking, or even in the minority

Yes, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

You're also not alone because many of us realize how these assistants and IoT devices are inherently flawed and it's a stupid idea to use them from a security perspective

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/06/alexa-and-siri-are-vulnerable-to-silent-nefarious-commands/

Literally everything is vulnerable to the right attack in the right situation. Saying something is vulnerable means zilch. There's nothing stupid at all about using voice assistants.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 8, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Can any goons who did the 6P warranty exchange tell me the process exactly? Did they put a hold on your card? Did they require you to send in the 6P? They sent the replacements to your original shipping address, or was that flexible?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Thermopyle posted:

Literally everything is vulnerable to the right attack in the right situation. Saying something is vulnerable means zilch. There's nothing stupid at all about using voice assistants.

So statistically it makes sense to surround yourself with as few vulnerabilities as possible. Do you need an internet connected fridge, thermostat, garage opener, security cameras, door locks, electricity meter reader? You really, probably, don't, no matter how cool they are. But every item you add provides another method of data (or even physical) intrusion.

Its a little short sighted to say there is nothing stupid about using voice assistants.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rickets posted:

So statistically it makes sense to surround yourself with as few vulnerabilities as possible. Do you need an internet connected fridge, thermostat, garage opener, security cameras, door locks, electricity meter reader? You really, probably, don't, no matter how cool they are. But every item you add provides another method of data (or even physical) intrusion.

Its a little short sighted to say there is nothing stupid about using voice assistants.

Golly I sure hope HACKERS don't turn my thermostat down to 60° or leave the light on in the cat room!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Golly I sure hope HACKERS don't turn my thermostat down to 60° or leave the light on in the cat room!

Wait until they hax your oven and :gas: you irl. I'm jealous already

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I think voic assistants are a bit gimmicky and use Alexa as a kitchen timer and a light switch. It's a perfectly useful thing, if not superfluous.

My main issue with talking to my phone in public is the same one I have with taking phonecalls in public - it's rude, and maybe a touch narcissistic.

It's a matter of personal preference, and most of the stuff showcased in that conference clip is applicable to bog standard Google searches too, it's neat stuff as far as just search logic and parsing goes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

No, but of your thermostat is 'smart' enough to have microphone, there are real concerns.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

incogneato posted:

The primary thing that stops me from using voice/assistant in public is the assistant's voice loudly responding in its awkward robotic way. I don't mind whispering into my phone while waiting in line or at a restaurant, but I'd rather not make everyone else turn and look as assistant replies "YOUR FLIGHT TOMORROW TO CHICAGO DEPARTS AT 7:45 AM" or whatever.

I'm not sure what the solution is for this, as I do like the audible responses if I'm in my office, car, or at home. Or maybe there's a simple setting I'm missing?

Moto had a real good implementation of a compromise for this in allowing you to "call" google now, with the trigger being holding the phone up to your ear. It would then respond in the earpiece instead of over speaker.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

logikv9 posted:

Can any goons who did the 6P warranty exchange tell me the process exactly? Did they put a hold on your card? Did they require you to send in the 6P? They sent the replacements to your original shipping address, or was that flexible?

You are sent a link to pretty much "buy" the replacement device. I am not sure about changing physical address but I am sure they would work with you there.

From there, there is a purchase "hold" put on your CC for the full amount of the replacement device until they receive the returned device. If you do everything within the time frame no actual charge will happen to your CC.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

gently caress. I thought I'd be lucky and avoid the Nexus 5X bootloop issues, but mine just died. After refusing to go further than the Google logo a couple of times, it wouldn't power on at all. The phone was bought in late November 2015. Having contacted my carrier's webshop service center, it was handed in at their mall storefront and will likely be replaced under warranty - barring software modifications or damage. Fortunately it's stock Nougat. Unfortunately, two of the corners are chipped from fall damage. I hope they're not dicks about that.

Back to my Nexus 5 with a pressure damaged screen for a while... They gave me a loaner, but it's a Nokia Lumia Windows phone, so nope on that. Nice camera though.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Quick question. Just got my first smartphone that I would consider spending money for insurance on.

Have a moto g5+ on an AT&T's pay/month Go Phone program.

ATTs offers don't look good and i'm probably not even eligible. Is this legit? https://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-...phone+insurance

e* Any other places to get phone inusurance besides the provider and amazon? Completely new to this.

odinson fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 8, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Currently fighting the man to get my G5+ returned. The vendor took it in twice for service, twice they checked regular bluetooth instead of bluetooth LE and returned saying no fault found. To add insult to injury (or vice versa I suppose), they didn't include the charger when sending it back the last time. Digging in for total consumer warfare. Once they take it back, I'll wait for the Sony XZ1 Compact. This was my first non-Sony smartphone, ever, and it looks like my infidelity will be short and deservedly punishing.

Original problem: Phone can't read data from Bluetooth Smart gadgets. If any of you G5+ owners use BLE/Smart gadgets, please let me know. I've seen others have problems with other phones, including the G4, but not the G5+ specifically.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

odinson posted:

Quick question. Just got my first smartphone that I would consider spending money for insurance on.

Have a moto g5+ on an AT&T's pay/month Go Phone program.

ATTs offers don't look good and i'm probably not even eligible. Is this legit? https://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-...phone+insurance

e* Any other places to get phone inusurance besides the provider and amazon? Completely new to this.

Don't pay $55 to insure a $230 phone. It doesn't even cover accidental damage!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MikeJF posted:

No, but of your thermostat is 'smart' enough to have microphone, there are real concerns.
Seeing the creativity hackers muster up to even find certain vulnerabilities, you can also expect the same sort of creativity when it comes to exploiting it. Responses like "hurrrr hackers turning up the heat!" are kind of irritating in that context. Suffices already, if your IoT device acts just as an entry vector to your private IP network. A lot of routers are pretty hardened against external network accesses, but if some lovely thermostat allows you to bypass the router, well hello.

Who knows, maybe someone figures out to redirect voice controlled assistants to literal URLs/addresses via ultrasonic audio, and manages to deliver and install some rootkit payload via a secondary exploit. What then?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A smart fridge pitch has been that it can order food you regularly use, meaning it contains stealable payment details. Or it can be recruited for electronic warfare, provoking the poo poo out of paranoid superpowers from your public IP address.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rickets posted:

Yes, you're right none of it is required to be alive. Great and insightful point.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Lovely style of discussion that's going on.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The digital security argument seems to be coming up in this thread with increasing frequency. Should we add it to the bingo chart of dumb reoccurring topics?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I just don't want to live in the Y2K treehouse of terror story. :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonna break up this oh so fun conversation to remind everyone again how much of a battery beast the Moto Z Play (2016) is.

Again, wifi only because I don't have a SIM in it, however...

3 days since last charge with 4 hours 40 minutes of SOT, 29% battery left.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bull3964 posted:

Gonna break up this oh so fun conversation to remind everyone again how much of a battery beast the Moto Z Play (2016) is.

Mobile standby is the main battery eater after screen on time afaik.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol if you have fi and oreo

quote:

the latest version of Android, version 8.0 aka Oreo, contains an unfortunate bug that causes phones to burn through their monthly mobile data allowances.

Since installing the operating system update, folks' devices have been forgoing Wi-Fi connections and using wireless broadband for all data transfers. This, as a result, has left many punters in danger of going over their monthly data limits or, if on an unlimited plan, having their speeds throttled for heavy use.

The Register understands from people familiar with the programming cockup that Google engineers are working on a fix for the issue.

According to posts to the Android reddit community, people have been able to get around the bug by turning off the "cellular data always active" setting under the developer option menu in Oreo's network settings menu

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

On the one hand I'm all like "lol google", on the other hand, with how complex software and hardware is I'm always surprised there isn't even more of that kind of stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

couldcareless posted:

The digital security argument seems to be coming up in this thread with increasing frequency. Should we add it to the bingo chart of dumb reoccurring topics?

I don't think digital security is a dumb topic, but gently caress if my entire approach at this point isn't just to throw up my hands and give up.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Lol if you have fi and oreo

AND a marginal Wifi signal. The whole point of the feature is to help avoid that pulling out of the drive way / walking out of the store problem where your phone is still on WiFi but it can't reach the signal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

Mobile standby is the main battery eater after screen on time afaik.

Cell radios in a phone are still active even without a SIM, that's why they can still call 911.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So if you don't use your phone it lasts awhile? #whoa #wow

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

So if you don't use your phone it lasts awhile? #whoa #wow

4 hours of SoT not using a phone? Yeah, it's over a few days, but that amount of SoT would leave many flagships near dead in a single day, let alone while idling over 3 days.

Most users have reported 10-12 hours of SoT using the thing in a single day before they get the battery warning.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I think their point was that 1.5 hours a day of use is well below what most people would consider the norm.

I still think it's pretty nice and I wish more phones had the gall to pack a bigger battery. I miss my original Droid Turbo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Clearly some of you have a problem with math.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

bull3964 posted:

4 hours of SoT not using a phone? Yeah, it's over a few days, but that amount of SoT would leave many flagships near dead in a single day, let alone while idling over 3 days.

Most users have reported 10-12 hours of SoT using the thing in a single day before they get the battery warning.

4 hours of SoT over the course of 3 days really isn't a lot of use at all. It's still good battery life, don't get me wrong.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Edit: you know what, nevermind.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 8, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Had the bluetooth woes on my Pixel under 7.1.2. Skipping frequently with bluetooth audio playback to a Smartbean. A restart fixed it for like... a couple hours, tops.

Fast forward to Oreo and trying out BT for the first time this morning. Default codec, skipping galore right from the start. Changed it to aptX HD codec in developer settings, greatly reduced the skipping though it still happens about once every couple minutes. Before changing the codec, there was a skip probably every 3-4 seconds. Like, unbelievable how unusable it was. I'll be trying regular aptX on my way home to see if there's much difference. Also changed AVCRP to v1.6

Good thing this whole wireless audio streaming thing is so bulletproof [on Google's phones], now that headphone jacks are going away. :jerkbag:

vv this is what I meant, sorry.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 8, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bluetooth works fine it's Google that can't get it right

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

sirbeefalot posted:

Had the bluetooth woes on my Pixel under 7.1.2. Skipping frequently with bluetooth audio playback to a Smartbean. A restart fixed it for like... a couple hours, tops.

Fast forward to Oreo and trying out BT for the first time this morning. Default codec, skipping galore right from the start. Changed it to aptX HD codec in developer settings, greatly reduced the skipping though it still happens about once every couple minutes. Before changing the codec, there was a skip probably every 3-4 seconds. Like, unbelievable how unusable it was. I'll be trying regular aptX on my way home to see if there's much difference. Also changed AVCRP to v1.6

Good thing this whole wireless audio streaming thing is so bulletproof [on Google's phones], now that headphone jacks are going away. :jerkbag:

vv this is what I meant, sorry.

Remember when google made a big deal about how they re-did the bluetooth stack for 8.0 and how much better it was? lol

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't think most phones could idle for that long with that much SoT.

Also, I finally got the new feed. gently caress this poo poo. Everyone who doesn't like it, be sure to submit feedback via the menu button.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 8, 2017

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Moto G5+ Battery Report:

Screen on time: 6h30m26s, 980mAh used, 32% of total power consumption. Brightness set to 60% with adaptive display on.
Cell Standby: 13% (no figure for mAH used)
Mixed LTE and Wifi connection, 3-4 bars at all times.
Plugged into charger @ 19% charge remaining.

Coming from devices that tap out at 3h screen on time, I am very impressed. Could have pushed it to 7h+ easily.

Edit:
Proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think most phones could idle for that long with that much SoT.

Also, I finally got the new feed. gently caress this poo poo. Everyone who doesn't like it, be sure to submit feedback via the menu button.

Curious, am I going to see it at the same pace with the Nova Companion app? I haven't actually read about how that works.