Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DLC Inc posted:

which D-Pad was worse: N64, Dreamcast, or X360? The first two are rough as gently caress. One's too concave, the other is somehow raised too much to do anything without hurting.

Just D-pad? Dreamcast, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
now that i've found my way into the right thread....

should I sell my ps4 for a switch??

i have a gaming PC and already got my fill of bloodborne and persona 5

thoughts?!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jesus. :stare:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*your name change went through, mr. Pitchford*

"Yes, now it's time."

At Gearbox we're now proud to announce PLAYEROFRENOWN'S BATTLEBORNS

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess I would probably be playing it if it was on PS4 because the concept sounds cool to me

it has the worst name though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

congrats PUBG you get to join other bad games like LoL, DOTA2, and Hearthstone in a boring fight to the death

The real surprise is how Siege is so high, what a great comeback for that game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Is there a way to see Overwatch's player count? I imagine it's probably comparable but you can't see it via Steam's thing for obvious reasons.

It's fascinating to me that PUBG is so popular. Not a single video of the game or anyone telling me about it makes it sound any different from the other games like it, yet it's hugely popular. What sets it apart from the other games like this?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's the first game of that type most people have played or heard of, mostly

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

KingSlime posted:

now that i've found my way into the right thread....

should I sell my ps4 for a switch??

i have a gaming PC and already got my fill of bloodborne and persona 5

thoughts?!
I think it's a bit early to make that call, but if you swear those are the only games you would play that don't have good PC versions, your mind is already made up. I think your quantity of games won't increase appreciably with Switch though, since PC is still king for indies and indies are the bulk of the Switch library right now.

If you find that you never use the PS4 though, there's certainly no harm in letting it go, it's not like it'll be hard to get another if you have a change of heart some day.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Is there a way to see Overwatch's player count? I imagine it's probably comparable but you can't see it via Steam's thing for obvious reasons.

It's fascinating to me that PUBG is so popular. Not a single video of the game or anyone telling me about it makes it sound any different from the other games like it, yet it's hugely popular. What sets it apart from the other games like this?

extremely low-floor game that one can easily stream and be a dickhead on. if it wasn't for Twitch idk if it would be as popular. 100 Man Battle Royale sounds like a game mode from a fuller game but I get bored of it easy and the mechanics are extremely basic. If it was like, some kind of FOX engine MGSV it'd be more appealing to me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I... don't like any of these

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Monkey Fracas posted:

People have terrible taste :(

CSGO and Rainbow Six are decent in moderation, but there's so many great games out there that deserve to be higher on that list.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watched the recent GB stream of Ark and I'm sorry but loving what?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

I watched the recent GB stream of Ark and I'm sorry but loving what?

It's a survival game, yeah. I'm dabbling in Rust and trying to make sense of it, but I just wanna gently caress around and build a dumb house :(

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Survival games always seem to sell like hotcakes and have tons of players for some bizarre reason. I'm one of those people that don't get them at all nor have I ever met anyone who plays them, so I would actually be pretty interested to know their demographic!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

smuh posted:

Survival games always seem to sell like hotcakes and have tons of players for some bizarre reason. I'm one of those people that don't get them at all nor have I ever met anyone who plays them, so I would actually be pretty interested to know their demographic!

Twitch streamers and the people who watch their streams. Those games are built to appeal to a live weirdness and fixing any of their countless issues would kill interest

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my brother built a gaming computer for the first time in like 15 years specifically to play pubg, idk what the demographic is, I don't think he watches twitch

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Monkey Fracas posted:

Football Manager is legit good game if you're into that kind of thing. Warframe was kinda fun when I tried it, but I'm more into arena style multiplayer shooters. Paladins is my current go to.

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of Playerunknown's. To me, it just seems like a bunch of complications before you get to the shooting bit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't know this was a thing

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

pubg is a good game

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Ostentatious posted:

pubg is a good game

What other game is going to reward you with a top 10 finish via sitting on the toilet all round?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

survival games appeal to me because they seem pretty low stakes and basically exist to have you in a gathering/crafting loop that gradually makes you more powerful. exactly the sort of thing that would work well to casually play while watching something else.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Unhappy Meal posted:

What other game is going to reward you with a top 10 finish via sitting on the toilet all round?

if u sit in a room with a thumb up ur rear end all game u are bad im sorry to break it to u

many people have led rich and fulfilling lives despite being bad at video games though so dont take it as a death sentence

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Unhappy Meal posted:

PUBG sounds perfect for the Switch!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CrashCat posted:

I think it's a bit early to make that call, but if you swear those are the only games you would play that don't have good PC versions, your mind is already made up. I think your quantity of games won't increase appreciably with Switch though, since PC is still king for indies and indies are the bulk of the Switch library right now.

If you find that you never use the PS4 though, there's certainly no harm in letting it go, it's not like it'll be hard to get another if you have a change of heart some day.

Hmm yeah the main thing that keeps me from using my PS4 is that I already spend my working time + some free time on a computer desk, so it can be very difficult for me to garner the motivation to sit in front of another screen. Handhelds feel a lot more relaxed and I can sorta just lie down, move around, stand when my back is protesting, etc

I would strictly be getting it for handheld goodness, though I guess I might occasional plug it in (doubt it tho).

I guess I would also like to play the new DQ and MH World, but at least the latter is getting ported to PC, and the idea of a more modern handheld is proving too tantalizing cuz I've been playing with this idea for a few weeks

The potential for holiday shortages and short supply during the release of Mario Odyssey has me wondering if I should just pull the trigger now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new DQ is also coming to switch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dogsicle posted:

survival games appeal to me because they seem pretty low stakes and basically exist to have you in a gathering/crafting loop that gradually makes you more powerful. exactly the sort of thing that would work well to casually play while watching something else.

I like the idea but games like ARK have big problems. Co-op becomes too easy, its a race to build a huge base and then there's no challenge so you just... wipe the server and start over? Minecraft had that issue too.

Meanwhile competitive is very exciting but then eventually you have to log off and go to sleep, and when you wake up your entire base has been burned to the ground and you're covered in poop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

homeless snail posted:

my brother built a gaming computer for the first time in like 15 years specifically to play pubg, idk what the demographic is, I don't think he watches twitch

lol building a PC to play PUBG when it can probably run on a toaster. I wouldn't be surprised if most hybrid tablets could play it, it looks pretty primordial

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

In Training posted:

The new DQ is also coming to switch

oh geeze well that solves yet another internal dilemma, US release confirmed?

wonder if its gonna be an upscaled version of the 3DS one lol or if switch is getting the gorgeous PS4 version

from what I've seen, it's an impressively powerful portable and somewhat subpar console in terms of horsepower

still, very much leaning towards hocking my less than 6 months old slim this weekend

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Unhappy Meal posted:

fire emblem heroes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've never found a good way to use a handheld comfortably for longer periods.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

lol building a PC to play PUBG when it can probably run on a toaster. I wouldn't be surprised if most hybrid tablets could play it, it looks pretty primordial
he had a mac mini :whitewater:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm fairly certain it will be a toned version of the PS4 release, which means it should be easier to localize the Switch version too. Although the switch version doesn't even have a Japanese date or any clue as to what it will look like so who knows.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

KingSlime posted:

oh geeze, US release confirmed?

wonder if its gonna be an upscaled version of the 3DS one lol or if switch is getting the gorgeous PS4 version

from what I've seen, it's an impressively powerful portable and somewhat subpar console in terms of horsepower

It was a vague announcement. I would expect it to be a cut down PS4 port so I'm kinda expecting it have issues.

DQ Builders 2 is coming to the Switch tho and it looks like a perfect fit.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

fire emblem heroes is good i play it on lunch all the time if i dont have my switch w/ me

i should probably play a real fire emblem at some point

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
paper mario color splash sucks :(

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

an actual dog posted:

DQ Builders 2 is coming to the Switch tho and it looks like a perfect fit.

Well that settles it I'll prob hunt one down sometime this month

Switch is the new Vita

Long live the Vita

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

paper mario color splash sucks :(

paper mario needs to be rebooted. I vote giving it to Yoko Taro

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought that even though PUBG looks kind of ugly it is actually not that well optimized and will tax medium-ish systems really heavily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah just cause pubg's put together with ue4 store assets doesn't mean it doesn't run like poo poo

• Locked thread