Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JordanKai posted:

All this time I've been under the impression that Priest was an Underworld spin-off. I have no clue where I even got that idea from. :confused:

The comic came out in America at the start of the manga boom (even though it wasn't manga) and was actually pretty good. The story follows a priest named Ivan Isaacs who has a cross shaped scar on his forehead and his soul bound to a demon (who used to be an Inquisitor in the medieval church) to help him hunt down 12 fallen angels who have also bound themselves to people.

Rhyno posted:

Karl Urban is fuckig brilliant in it though.

Yeah but when is that not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah but when is that not true?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In other news, Disney has confirmed that Marvel stuff will also leave Netflix for their new streaming service.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In other news, Disney has confirmed that Marvel stuff will also leave Netflix for their new streaming service.
Lame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

When you say Marvel stuff you mean just films I assume, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

When you say Marvel stuff you mean just films I assume, right?

That's what was said. The Marvel Films and the Star Wars Films.

In other news, Deadline is reporting that Drew Goddard is aboard to write and direct X-Force as a followup to Deadpool 2.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

teagone posted:

The Accountant was alright. Not great or good, just ok. Affleck puts on a solid performance in a meh story. Miracle is good. Jane Got a Gun is bad. Warrior is really, really, really good. I saw the movie with my brother and it hit real close to home. Definitely recommend that one if you're want to get a feel for his writing/directing.

Oh i forgot he directed Warrior. Yea, This is certainly a step up, if you believe that it was purely Ayer to hosed up SS. My joke about how much Harley and Joker will be in it stems from my belief that WB won't let the director make the movie they want, or at least release the movie they want.

That's too bad about removing Marvel and Star Wars from netflix, as I am lazy and If i want to watch Civil War I can just grab it on netflix rather than taking out whats in my ps4, and put the bluray in. BUt then this is why I buy physical media still, because of all these dumb slapfights streaming services and studios get into.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

My joke about how much Harley and Joker will be in it stems from my belief that WB won't let the director make the movie they want, or at least release the movie they want.

Remember in the run-up to BvS there was one guy from WB boasting about how, unlike Marvel Studios, they bowed to directorial vision and interfered as little as possible?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember in the run-up to BvS there was one guy from WB boasting about how, unlike Marvel Studios, they bowed to directorial vision and interfered as little as possible?

Lol. Then Guardians did well, the studio tried to step in on Suicide Squad, and failed at that as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spacebump posted:

Lol. Then Guardians did well, the studio tried to step in on Suicide Squad, and failed at that as well.

Trying to convince Patty Jenkins leave the best scene in Wonder Woman on the cutting room floor etc.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I liked Doom a lot as a kid. I didn't know that it was considered very bad until just a few years ago, so now I refuse to ever watch it again. Leave the memories alone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The first person sequence owned and I refuse to hear otherwise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Trying to convince Patty Jenkins leave the best scene in Wonder Woman on the cutting room floor etc.

Jenkins went on record recently that it wasn't the studio who wanted to cut the No Man's Land scene, but her own production team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Jenkins went on record recently that it wasn't the studio who wanted to cut the No Man's Land scene, but her own production team.

My mistake.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
rumorsssss
https://mcuexchange.com/hawkeye-ronin-avengers-4/

quote:

Thanks to our source, the same source that delivered the goods on the children of Thanos and Steve Rogers’ new look, we can tell you that Barton is set to appear as Ronin (or at least an iteration of it) in Avengers 4!
We don’t want to get to deep into spoiler territory here, but we are told that the events of Avengers: Infinity War (one specific event in particular) leaves Barton in a VERY dark place and is the inciting moment in the archer’s shift into this darker superhero mantle. Given the nature of events that cause the shift, it’s possible that they may not make the final cut of the film

I dunno who the Ronin character is, but I thought the second part was fun to think about. Mostly where they'll leave Avengers 3 - I would imagine it ends on some kind of Thanos victory and it makes me wonder if A4 would do something like they did on the AoS show where a new reality is created but only Hawkeye remembers the old world or something. Or if there's a significant passage of time between the movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
AoU gave clint a family so clearly they now have to die

E: im assuming the ronin identity wouldn't be the now dead kree guy from guardians? Is there another ronin in the mu?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yup. :rip: Clint's cute family.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

E: im assuming the ronin identity wouldn't be the now dead kree guy from guardians? Is there another ronin in the mu?

Yes, Ronin is just basically Angsty Dark Costume Man and is used by a few different heroes when they need to be dark and angsty.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

One is spelled with an A, one with an I. Which will not be confusing at all when spoken aloud in the film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the first I'm hearing that Wonder Woman correction too.

It's always like that now though. A correction or retraction isn't going to bring in clicks, so it gets buried in an update of the original article a week or two later and nobody ever sees it.

site posted:

That's Ronan. Just his name.

A Ronin is a samurai without a master, and that's why Hawkeye took that name.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Or they misheard and Renner is in a remake of the 90s de Niro movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is the Ronin they're talking about :

So if they're doing that, to me, that signals that the Young Avengers aren't far off and we'll be seeing Kate Bishop Hawkeye.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remind me why he took the Ronin ID in the comics? Was it during the Dark Avengers period?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Remind me why he took the Ronin ID in the comics? Was it during the Dark Avengers period?

It was after Civil War.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Electromax posted:

Or they misheard and Renner is in a remake of the 90s de Niro movie.

I'm treating this as part of the MCU from now on.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

He came back from the dead and didn't want to be Hawkeye anymore, so he found this suit just lying around or whatever and did? Something like that around the Civil War era.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

He took it after he came back from the dead from Disassembled. He'd been offered to be the new Cap, but declined. He just met Kate Bishop and thought she was doing a good job as Hawkeye, so he adopted the Ronin identity from Echo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should walk into a street and find Spider-Man costume in the trash after he's just had one of his "I am Spider-Man no more!" episodes and be like "Well I guess I'll be a Spider-Man"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He should walk into a street and find Spider-Man costume in the trash after he's just had one of his "I am Spider-Man no more!" episodes and be like "Well I guess I'll be a Spider-Man"

"Spider-Man! Hold up this wall while I go save the civilians!"
"Oh, uh, I forgot to say, my super strength is gone! That uh, symbiote thing leeched it outta me a while back. And the sticking to walls. And the agility. And probably that Spider-Sense thing he had. I had, I mean. For now all I've got is really, super, accurate webshooting."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lobok posted:

"Oh, uh, I forgot to say, my super strength is gone! That uh, symbiote thing leeched it outta me a while back. And the sticking to walls. And the agility. And probably that Spider-Sense thing he had. I had, I mean. For now all I've got is really, super, accurate webshooting."

So, he's now newspaper spider-man?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Anyone else find it weird that Spider-Man uses a bow and arrows now? No? Just me? OK.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're webbing arrows though, that checks out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Anyone else find it weird that Spider-Man uses a bow and arrows now? No? Just me? OK.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lobok posted:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
oh crud

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

purple death ray posted:

Godzilla stuff

So a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I asked purple death ray a question about the Godzilla series and got this response and another great one on the page previous to this. I'm bringing this up because last night I finished my journey to watch, well...pretty much any and every title that sounded interesting. Ended up watching 20 of em this summer. And I used these posts as a guide for choosing which ones and as a behind the scenes look into the history.

As for the movies themselves, I thought the Showa era was the best overall. The '54 original had production values that really weren't exceeded imo until the end of that run and even though every Millennium movie directly referenced 54 the combo use of CGI with puppets just made the movies look like ScyFi bmovie crap. But I really enjoyed how the Showa movies went wild by the end with ludicrous space monkeys and stuff (a plot that was reused, if tweaked, for Final Wars). The Heisei era was also pretty good and I thought the development throughout the series of the strict continuity and creation and expansion of GForce (and even the eventual use of after credit stingers) was very interesting as it feels like a pretty direct precursor to the MCU. The Millennium series was...decent. TBH they almost felt like what Fox does with Fantastic Four, just putting out remake movies to retain the license or something lol. Even Final Wars wasn't as good as I had hoped because it most of the battles it's just a 30 second scene where Godzilla chumps a monster and keeps walking.

Mothra always sacrifices itself :(

Shin Godzilla owns too btw

Just some random thoughts. Anyways, thanks pdr :patriot:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Millennium was started as a direct response to the disaster of the 98 American Godzilla. As I heard it, Toho was not going to make another Godzilla movie for a while but once the Matthew Broderick one came out they could not let that stand unopposed and got Godzilla 2000 out within a year. So you're not too far off with your impressions of the millennium films. And yes the showa movies are absolutely the best ones.

I'm glad my posts helped you out and I'm glad you enjoyed your journey.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

That's the first I'm hearing that Wonder Woman correction too.

It's always like that now though. A correction or retraction isn't going to bring in clicks, so it gets buried in an update of the original article a week or two later and nobody ever sees it.

It showed up in my Google newsfeed:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/05/wonder-woman-jenkins-no-mans-scene/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, it's from a couple of days ago? That makes more sense.

• Locked thread