Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

why can't it do long highway trips? I can do them on my FZ alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A 650 that can't do longish highway trips is a shameful 650.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

why can't it do long highway trips? I can do them on my FZ alright

My highway trip is 60km each way, morning and night, plus a 20kmish city commute. A fairing makes a world of difference. It's not an engine or bike problem, it's a wind and a me getting tired problem.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That sounds like a bike problem to me. You are faultless, barnsy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Barnsy posted:

My highway trip is 60km each way, morning and night, plus a 20kmish city commute. A fairing makes a world of difference. It's not an engine or bike problem, it's a wind and a me getting tired problem.

You know what has a real good fairing? A car.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
A couple weeks ago was the ImSoNice Crew's annual Ferry2Ferry ride. These guys were early into the Ruckus scene, and later Zuma 125s, before the club slowly disbanded. A couple guys still put the work in to make the ride happen, though. It's the biggest scooter ride in Seattle (this year excepted, since we hosted AmeriVespa), and possibly the NW, though I don't know what kind of turnout Vancouver and Portland events see.

This year there was a huge turnout of rad as hell '80s Japanese 50cc 2-strokes. A lot of these guys (and some of the vintage bikes below) are from ScooterSwapShop in Portland.

Early Zumas

This Zuma II was rolling wheelies at 40+ mph. Not bad for starting at 50cc (though it's a 72 or 74cc now)

Elites/Dios

Also modified.

I have never seen one of these Dio XR Bajas before. I'm assuming they were not sold in the US.

(not the same bike)
"The Purpatrator" was also doing power wheelies past 35mph. Probably helped that the rider was Pedrosa sized, but even still.

Unusual Sprees.

Factory perfect Aero 80.

Honda Gyro S. Weird loving bike. Seating position like a lay-z-boy. Look at the weird rear end light arrangement, the tiny little rear shoick ahead of the motor. The swingarm rotates like a driveshaft to allow the two parts to tilt separately. Watching this guy hang off it into corners (he had to work hard to keep up) and seeing the motor unit bounce and twist over bumps and curbs while he stayed upright was bizarre. And hilarious.

Slammed and stretched Ruckuses are still a thing. One of them (not pictured, he hadn't caught back up yet) had a fuel line spring a leak mid-ride and spray fuel all over his back tire :cool:

Something that sets this ride apart from other Seattle-area rides is that they welcome Italian bikes, which really isn't reciprocated. Old school Vespa/Lambretta people are, at least around here, elitist fucks.

Few other rides get such different bikes, and that's dumb.

And then there were :siren: :frogsiren: GROMS :frogsiren: :siren: (and Grom-likes)

The ride leaves from north Seattle, crosses the Edmonds-Kingston ferry, goes through Poulsbo, stops in Seabeck, and returns to Seattle via the Bremerton ferry. It's a pretty full day at 45mph. It's a good time.

I really want a ripper 50cc now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wonder how many of those Groms will end up on craiglist for $3k over MSRP 5 years from now

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I wonder how many of those Groms will end up on craiglist for $3k over MSRP 5 years from now

You meant months, right?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jazzzzz posted:

Probably the same percentage as any other bike with an aftermarket.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Good to finally have it settled that Groms are in fact scooters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anyone who's ridden both a grom and a manual scooter already knew this, everyone else just needs to catch the gently caress up.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Chichevache posted:

You know what has a real good fairing? A car.

A car isn't much fun on this bit of road that I go through every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwEnB02DSpo

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Slavvy posted:

Anyone who's ridden both a grom and a manual scooter already knew this, everyone else just needs to catch the gently caress up.

I bought my Zuma 125 like a month before the first Groms arrived at dealerships and came very, very close to waiting for one. And then I realized: wait, I have a Stella. I already have a 125-150cc range 4-speed manual shift without much storage. So I bought the Zuma. With flat floorboards and storage and a CVT. I have no regrets.

But a Grom is not a scooter in any way
:goonsay:

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
The first production motor-2-wheeler was a step-through with floorboards, so I don't know what y'all are referring to with all this "motorcycle" business. All of them are scooters, some of them are just nutpunch-frame scooters.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

click to make huge

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 4, 2017

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's pretty big air for an xr!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I really like jumping this bike heh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a cute sea otter posted:

The first production motor-2-wheeler was a step-through with floorboards, so I don't know what y'all are referring to with all this "motorcycle" business. All of them are scooters, some of them are just nutpunch-frame scooters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaux-Perreaux_steam_velocipede

(or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_steam_velocipede or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Reitwagen if you insist on internal combustion).

Not a floorboard between them and step-throughs remain the poor idiot child of the family.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I realise that could only do jogging pace but gat daym that geometry frightens.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

click to make huge

EX250 Type R posted:

I really like jumping this bike heh

You're gonna break the motor! :bahgawd:

Nice jumps.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

You're gonna break the motor! :bahgawd:

Nice jumps.

I added aaron on facebook awhile back, I should tag him in one of these pictures

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

Look! a word! maybe it means something!

Also, the 60's has never, ever lied to me about anything before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtOTy_khKUI&t=728s

ahem. excuse me, I also had a drizzly south coast weekend; writing things on a screen instead of riding my nutpuncher.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Did you get Seabeck pizza? It's been forever since I had Seabeck pizza.
How many rednecks did you anger with your scooters?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

its all nice on rice posted:

Did you get Seabeck pizza? It's been forever since I had Seabeck pizza.
How many rednecks did you anger with your scooters?

I did not. I never have. Whether the ride organizers call ahead or not, that pizza place is never, ever ready for 100+ scooter people to descend on it and I don't wanna wait an hour to eat when I get there. Is it good?

We got coal rolled at a gas stop, so we made at least 1 redneck angry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I realise that could only do jogging pace but gat daym that geometry frightens.

When you've got a steam boiler directly under your genitals it tends to sharpen the brain to the point you don't need forgiving geometry.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I did not. I never have. Whether the ride organizers call ahead or not, that pizza place is never, ever ready for 100+ scooter people to descend on it and I don't wanna wait an hour to eat when I get there. Is it good?

We got coal rolled at a gas stop, so we made at least 1 redneck angry.

It's good. Not the best pizza ever, but solid, and a Seabeck staple. Some folks might consider it a bit more doughy. Camp Union pizza is essentially the same thing.
Next time you're in Bremerton get some pupussa from El Balcon because holy poo poo they are amazing.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Previous page got my 599-sense tingling.

My '04 sounds like garbage with a Micron slip-on, I went back to the stock exhaust even though it's a hojillion pounds.

Recently got full cartridge internal forks and with the Ohlins shock it's :five: . Got back yesterday from a week long trip through some of the best roads of Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana where I could finally get the forks through their paces. Even got to hit up Rattlesnake Grade where my poor-quality avatar photo was taken.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaux-Perreaux_steam_velocipede

(or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_steam_velocipede or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Reitwagen if you insist on internal combustion).

Not a floorboard between them and step-throughs remain the poor idiot child of the family.

Better have your coattails in order before you get on that

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Skier posted:

Previous page got my 599-sense tingling.

My '04 sounds like garbage with a Micron slip-on, I went back to the stock exhaust even though it's a hojillion pounds.

I had a Leo Vince on mine and it sounded great. Unfortunately it was never tuned correctly and smelled like poo poo if you were riding behind me.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
No Prisoners 2012 got 'remastered' and reuploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EmFwDes1Hs

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

What is this, a bike for a mouse?!

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mXmld5in8

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It didn't break down on his ride, so that's good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

It didn't break down on his ride, so that's good.

You didn't watch it long enough.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Fly, ridiculously powered enduro! I'd love to know how this came to be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Methamphetamine or just plain stupidity? So often it's impossible to tell.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

You didn't watch it long enough.

Running it out of gas was alright, but I was hoping a cylinder would pop off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's only if you exceed 70mph.

Realtalk I've worked/ridden briefly one enfield ('16 350 with the unit engine) and I honestly liked it. Never even seen a ural. Has anyone here had contact with both and which one is better/worse, and how crap are they compared to the usual notoriously bad/flammable bikes? If we treat chinese bikes as the terribleness benchmark and honda/yamaha as peak not-poo poo, where do they lay?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That's only if you exceed 70mph.

Realtalk I've worked/ridden briefly one enfield ('16 350 with the unit engine) and I honestly liked it. Never even seen a ural. Has anyone here had contact with both and which one is better/worse, and how crap are they compared to the usual notoriously bad/flammable bikes? If we treat chinese bikes as the terribleness benchmark and honda/yamaha as peak not-poo poo, where do they lay?

I've not had contact with a Ural but a friend of mine who was briefly their importer into the UK* says the best that can be said about them is they tend to break in ways that are easy to fix.

*This happened pretty much by accident - he ran a garage and had one come in needing a part, after ringing around a bit he managed to get in contact with the factory who sent the part out to him for free if he agreed to be their importer for a year. He suspects he was the first person from the UK to have bothered to contact them since the Berlin Wall fell...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

Fly, ridiculously powered enduro! I'd love to know how this came to be.

i'm crying right now

when did space whale get a 701sm