Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

these powerful charts from singularityhub.com have really opened my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Most of those charts are made by public institutions and international organizations and such, their sources are mentioned underneath them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this one chart says that only 49% of sub saharan africans are now in absolute poverty, forcing me to conclude that capitalism is actually good

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
On a global scale it decreased from 53% (over half the world population) to 17% in a mere 30 years.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Anyone looking for a fun fantasy book about humans who happen to be wizards, check out John Bellairs The Face in the Frost. Enjoying his writing so far.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Something something marxism something something imaginary fantasy novel society :smuggo:

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I gave in and read Blackwing by Ed McDonald, was pretty good. Same vein as Richard Morgan, Joe Abercrombie etc. Give it a read.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
those charts are bullshit because

quote:

Absolute poverty is defined as living on less than $1.25/day. Over the last 30 years, the share of the global population living in absolute poverty has declined from 53% to under 17%.

doesn't mean poo poo.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
From the original source: "adjusted for inflation and for price differences across countries"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

less laughter posted:

From the original source: "adjusted for inflation and for price differences across countries"

But did they adjust it for the inflation of deserts and oceans :v:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

don't matter if you go from having $1 a day to $3 a day if you ain't got clean water to drink, food to eat, fuel to cook, air to breathe, or a home that is not underwater :negative:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/05/the-coming-global-water-crisis/256896/

increase capital -> increased income -> increased QoL is an extremely limited and outmoded supposition of liberal internationalism

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 8, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at linking to a website called "singularityhub"

and they're advertising workshops in SV -

quote:

Design Your Impact
The tools for transforming our future are here. How will you harness them to propel your business—and you—forward?

Embark on a journey with your brightest peers to reignite your creativity, reframe your perspective, reimagine solutions and respond to our world’s greatest challenges.

Attend Re[solve] to reset your vision as an exponential leader and make immediate impact for your world, your business and you. Each Re[solve] focuses on a different global grand challenge (GGC) to reveal areas ripe for disruption.

Re[solve] is not a lecture series. It’s not a conference. It’s an immersive experience that unfolds an interactive story and you have a role to play. This is sci-fi grounded in reality. See the possibilities and examine their consequences.

Join SU faculty, expert practitioners, and a cohort of passionate, impact-focused peers, in a thought-provoking and action-oriented experience at our headquarters in Silicon Valley. Be ready to Re[solve] and find your resolve.
Cost? $5000

I'm the exponential leader

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What the gently caress am I doing reading D&D?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

you're reading science fiction

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I honestly can't tell if that's a corporate leadership Workshop, an immersive reality game, a religious recruiting message, a design-based engineering training retreat, or what.

But $5,000 is very much in line with any of those.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This just popped up in my feed and I couldn't help it

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/906215577777315841

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

It's the SECOND in a series.

The first, RIVER OF TEETH, has this amazing synopsis.

quote:

In the early 20th Century, the United States government concocted a plan to import hippopotamuses into the marshlands of Louisiana to be bred and slaughtered as an alternative meat source. This is true.

Other true things about hippos: they are savage, they are fast, and their jaws can snap a man in two.

This was a terrible plan.

Contained within this volume is an 1890s America that might have been: a bayou overrun by feral hippos and mercenary hippo wranglers from around the globe. It is the story of Winslow Houndstooth and his crew. It is the story of their fortunes. It is the story of his revenge.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Who could resist that I mean really

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone please tell me whether that is just terrible or so terrible that it is awesome.

edit: Doesn't matter, is only $3.99 on Kindle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know, I was burned by Knights on Dinosaurs, but drat. Mercenary Hippo Wranglers are calling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If it's a decent Western it could be very fun, but I've never read a bayou Western.

Either way now I want to look up the history of the aborted attempt to import hippos for a meat source.

Edit holy poo poo this is amazing and weirder Than Fiction

quote:

This week in The Atavist, writer (and WIRED's Mr. Know-It-All columnist) Jon Mooallem describes the hippo ranching scheme and the story of two fascinating men behind it: one a modest frontiersman and soldier of fortune, the other a self-aggrandizing con man. Both were spies. Each was sworn to kill the other. But the great cause of hippo ranching brought them together.

https://magazine.atavist.com/american-hippopotamus-podcast

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 9, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Apparently they would serve the additional purpose of countering an invasive plant species.

:shepface:

Wired is fine, right?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Apparently they would serve the additional purpose of countering an invasive plant species.

:shepface:

Wired is fine, right?

Jesus Christ the Boy Scouts base their entire idea of a perfectly rounded man after Burnham, and when Burnham wrote his autobiography he wrote two copies: one labeled "boastful" and one labeled ccnot boastful" and at the end of the one labeled not boastful he apologized for being so boastful. The boastful one was extremely boring.

Check out that podcast link!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Jerry Pournelle died. :(

Comments by John Scalzi: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2017/09/08/rip-jerry-pournelle/

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

withak posted:

Someone please tell me whether that is just terrible or so terrible that it is awesome.

edit: Doesn't matter, is only $3.99 on Kindle.

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't know, I was burned by Knights on Dinosaurs, but drat. Mercenary Hippo Wranglers are calling.

I wanted these books to be good, but the first one was...very bad. Nonsensical plot, unbelievable characters, just really not good. Much like the Knights on Dinosaurs book Proteus Jones mentioned, it's a super cool idea that just fails in execution.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

navyjack posted:

I wanted these books to be good, but the first one was...very bad. Nonsensical plot, unbelievable characters, just really not good. Much like the Knights on Dinosaurs book Proteus Jones mentioned, it's a super cool idea that just fails in execution.

Like basically most sci-fi/fantasy novels then. Ideas are nothing compared to actual story telling.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
What would this thread say to someone who inhaled the Foreigner series and said "alright, more of that, but this time with more guns"

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

kznlol posted:

What would this thread say to someone who inhaled the Foreigner series and said "alright, more of that, but this time with more guns"

I would say "Inhale more books, you might choke."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'm going to be sad when James Gunn dies, he's 94.
Kampus will live forever though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Dragonlance and related stuff is totally on topic for this thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

This must be what they call 'biopunk'.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Replace hippos with camels & replace bayou with the mojave desert, and that sorta happened for a few years.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished the latest Max Gladstone, basically still the same opinion: it's good but somewhat bloated and a lot of Zeddig's storyline could have been got rid of with no negative consequence; it takes a long time to get going and the payoff isn't much (although the finale is spectacular, as usual in this series). I still think it's his weakest book so far.
Giant spiders from outer space hellbent on eating us all are still coming, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

navyjack posted:

Well after spending an hour or two last night reading up on that guy and listening to that podcast, I'm definitely going to check out an autobiography of Frederick Burnham, there's a new one which came out a year or two ago and I'm an eagle scout, but I had literally never heard of this guy. baden-powell is like God to the Boys Scouts but honestly I've never heard of Frederick Burnham - which is a travesty.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This must be what they call 'biopunk'.

No, that's the Kameron Hurley series where bugs form the basis of all technology (and also food) on some ghastly colony world wracked by an endless series of horrible religious wars (using bug weapons).

Honestly got bored of both the very slow-feeling plot development and the overabundance of bug-related technology, but I should try and pick it up again at some point.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ideas like 'knights on dinosaurs' or 'hippo western' aren't really ideas for a story, they're aesthetic gimmicks. Stories are all text, so if it's a bad writer it's just a boring dude talking at you about big animals.

The ideal format for them is 3-10 images by a skilled artist, who doesn't need to worry about hanging a coherent narrative together.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Peel posted:

Ideas like 'knights on dinosaurs' or 'hippo western' aren't really ideas for a story, they're aesthetic gimmicks. Stories are all text, so if it's a bad writer it's just a boring dude talking at you about big animals.

The ideal format for them is 3-10 images by a skilled artist, who doesn't need to worry about hanging a coherent narrative together.

This sums up my problems with Cherryh's Rider at the Gates. She's come up with this amazing sci-fi western setting of carnivous, empathic horse-aliens that the characters have to bond with and work with, then goes with a standard western/horror story.

Which is interesting to read, but nowhere near as compelling as those wild, weird horses demand.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kesper North posted:

No, that's the Kameron Hurley series where bugs form the basis of all technology (and also food) on some ghastly colony world wracked by an endless series of horrible religious wars (using bug weapons).

Honestly got bored of both the very slow-feeling plot development and the overabundance of bug-related technology, but I should try and pick it up again at some point.

I couldn't get through God's War because everything was just so bleak and so ruthless that I couldn't find the energy to persevere with the protagonist's PoV.

Other than one of the antagonists, a teen girl whose little brother Nyx murdered after seducing her, , I couldn't find anybody to root for.

"rooting" isn't a very literary way to approach reading a text, I know, but I suppose I've become conditioned by pulp.

There was an interview (or maybe a blog post?) with Hurley about how she'd noticed an additional gendered double-standard besides the usual ones that people talk about in genre books. Namely, that even female antiheroes and villain-protagonists are expected to be a bit softer than their male counterparts, that you never find a female protagonist as hosed-up and brutal as, say, Conan. In God's War, Nyx is sorta supposed to be that.

That's a smart observation and is not something I'd thought about before.
But, then again, I could never get into Conan either.

I should probably try God's War again at some point, since I'm sure there were other interesting social and political themes to explore that I didn't pay enough attention to while I was distracted by the brutality of everything.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 9, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rebecca Sharp is a way more hosed up anti-hero than Conan.

Conan never betrays anyone, rules fairly, and would undoubtedly be a cool dad. Rebecca Sharp makes a living by betraying others, is corrupt, and neglects her child. Conan does not kill unprovoked or unjustly. Rebecca Sharp totally poisoned someone for money.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I couldn't get into God's War either, but if you want something that's just as disturbingly moist and ichorous but a lot faster-paced, check out The Stars Are Legion.