Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Humble Store has a sale for DLCs, I'm missing chaos, beastmen and Woodelvs but have no real interest in "short" scenario type campaigns of the more expensive DLCs. Please tell me which of those are worth it/fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you don't have a dlc faction can you assign the AI to play that faction against you in a custom battle? If so I would just play a bunch of matches vs those factions and see if you think their poo poo is cool or not.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
As much as I like dwarf cannons, I love ballistas because I am stupid.

And I will continue to use dwarf bolt throwers.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Captain Beans posted:

If you don't have a dlc faction can you assign the AI to play that faction against you in a custom battle? If so I would just play a bunch of matches vs those factions and see if you think their poo poo is cool or not.

Nope you can't (except for Chaos Warriors)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Third World Reggin posted:

As much as I like dwarf cannons, I love ballistas because I am stupid.

And I will continue to use dwarf bolt throwers.

The grudge throwers still seem to be the most efficient artillery the dwarfs have. I also use flame cannons because those are just too fun to not use.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So Norsca pretty much exist as a hard counter to Wood Elves - everything in their lineup is designed to gently caress the wood elves up.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

So Norsca pretty much exist as a hard counter to Wood Elves - everything in their lineup is designed to gently caress the wood elves up.

You can also build very good armies for abusing auto resolve with them as well, with the Welves being the worst faction for auto resolve.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, in quick battles if I take wood elves the other person most of the time auto switches to Norsca - I think I'm just going to start taking all cavalry/cavalry archers and tell them to gently caress off when they do that while just run rings.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Boon posted:

Yeah, in quick battles if I take wood elves the other person most of the time auto switches to Norsca - I think I'm just going to start taking all cavalry/cavalry archers and tell them to gently caress off when they do that while just run rings.

Swiftshiver Deepwood Scouts, my man, they will absolutely ruin everything in their line but Marauder Champions. Bring Wild Riders and Wardancers with Asrai Spears to screen for your archers.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Carcer posted:

Dark elves aren't desperate so much as having shed any sense of morality. They're an entire nation of psychopaths that treat you like the inferior animal you are.

Which is why its great when those supposed animals fire a cannon right into the dark elves collective nuts and remind them they're the remnants of the remnants of a collapsing civilization.

The best explanation for High and Dark elves I've heard is that High Elves are how the British Empire viewed itself. This cultured, witty, urbane force using its massive trade and sea power to do good!

The Dark Elves are how everyone else viewed the British Empire. Inbred despots who looted everything not nailed down and enslaved everyone they could.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Reloaded my Norsca save file to about turn 50 and things have been going much better. I am only now working on creating a fourth stack and with a war coffer of about 170k I have more then enough reserves. Out of curiosity is it possible to have multiple ranks in different gods? I am aiming for the wolf but the idea of snagging the tier 1 snake so that I can keep my upkeep costs down is very appealing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOAg_jJFZE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd been very mildly disappointed that TW2 didn't seem to have made any major graphical upgrades over the first game, but man, does that new lighting engine make a world of difference.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Have they said what difficulty the factions are yet? I imagine High Elves are easy, Dark Elves and Lizardmen are medium, and Skaven are hard.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Have they said what difficulty the factions are yet? I imagine High Elves are easy, Dark Elves and Lizardmen are medium, and Skaven are hard.

A lot of it will depend on the start location. Tyrion will be quite easy yet Telcis will have a very difficult time trying to stay alive.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hunt11 posted:

A lot of it will depend on the start location. Tyrion will be quite easy yet Telcis will have a very difficult time trying to stay alive.

Similarly I'd imagine Queek Headtaker to be the easier of the two Skaven starts, and probably Malekith will be easier than Morathi.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

what always makes me worried is when people show off how many game awards they got

when those game awards don't mean poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I honestly don't think the various easy/very hard monikers given to certain races have been accurate. Empire is actually pretty hard as a start. All your neighbors are pretty eager to attack you with few exceptions, and they're all roughly the same strength as you at the start. You have marauding greenskins, marauding beastmen, and if you don't pay tribute there's a good chance a dwarf faction is gonna attack when you're not able to defend yourself well.

Third World Reggin posted:

what always makes me worried is when people show off how many game awards they got

when those game awards don't mean poo poo

"Best of E3" -Jeff

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I can see why people use the AI mods, which is a tad disappointing. My Norsca campaign, after a slow start, turned into a steamroll around Turn 100. I don't defend any of my settlements, my opponents never rebuild theirs or make any considered push to attack my two stacks when I leave them vulnerable raiding their territories, and there's just a sense of inevitability early on in the campaign that makes me question what the point would be in pressing onward for another 10 hours and 200 turns just to wipe everyone out.

Granted, I'm playing on Normal, but my understanding is that the AI doesn't improve at higher difficulties, it just gets the standard plusses in combat and economy that most games toss at their AI players when you ramp up difficulty.

Is this generally the case without an AI mod or have I just had a particularly lucky run? The only thing that stopped my earlier VC campaign was Chaos coming down and stomping across my cities when I wasn't particularly well-prepared for how early and hard they'd throw themselves at me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Memnaelar posted:

I can see why people use the AI mods, which is a tad disappointing. My Norsca campaign, after a slow start, turned into a steamroll around Turn 100. I don't defend any of my settlements, my opponents never rebuild theirs or make any considered push to attack my two stacks when I leave them vulnerable raiding their territories, and there's just a sense of inevitability early on in the campaign that makes me question what the point would be in pressing onward for another 10 hours and 200 turns just to wipe everyone out.

Granted, I'm playing on Normal, but my understanding is that the AI doesn't improve at higher difficulties, it just gets the standard plusses in combat and economy that most games toss at their AI players when you ramp up difficulty.

Is this generally the case without an AI mod or have I just had a particularly lucky run? The only thing that stopped my earlier VC campaign was Chaos coming down and stomping across my cities when I wasn't particularly well-prepared for how early and hard they'd throw themselves at me.

That's pretty much exactly how it goes without AI mods. Hell, even with AI mods. But the idea is that it's fun getting up to that point, which is why campaign victories turned to more interesting things like beating a certain battle or the errantry battles than just taking over 80% of the provinces you can settle or razing 50 settlements or whatever.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

jokes posted:

I honestly don't think the various easy/very hard monikers given to certain races have been accurate. Empire is actually pretty hard as a start. All your neighbors are pretty eager to attack you with few exceptions, and they're all roughly the same strength as you at the start. You have marauding greenskins, marauding beastmen, and if you don't pay tribute there's a good chance a dwarf faction is gonna attack when you're not able to defend yourself well.

I agree that Empire is hard now but on release it was one of the easier factions, I think. It'd just be nice if they'd updated the labels as the starting situation changed with each update too.

As for the AI, one of the things that does change between normal/hard difficulty is that on Easy and Normal the AI tries to avoid your armies more. The AI mods tend to do away with this behaviour and make the AI act more like it does on Hard, in that respect.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

"Best of E3" -Jeff
Eh, on release Empire was a lot easier than it is now. Skarsnik, Beastmen, Welfs, and active Bretonnians were all added post-release, plus Savage Orc spawns were either added or drastically increased post-release too. So much so that they had to remove the Seccessionists for AI Empire starts; on release the AI could usually unify Reikland and start posing a threat to nearby factions whereas until that recent change it was often struggling to barely hold its borders. I agree that now Empire is probably a "hard" start, but it wasn't originally. VC also got stronger as updates came out, so could probably be "easy" now.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 8, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

jokes posted:

I honestly don't think the various easy/very hard monikers given to certain races have been accurate. Empire is actually pretty hard as a start.
Empire was easy at launch. It got a bit harder with all the stuff that was added post-launch around the Empire.
If for example Queek is going to be listed as easy, I can see them becoming more difficult once the Tomb Kings show to his immediate North.

And the easy and hard labels also means how difficult the race itself is to get into. The Empire is pretty easy to understand: They don't have any fancy gimmicks on either the campaign or battle maps.

e:fb

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Memnaelar posted:

The game is basically set around hard, but one thing to note is on normal the AI will actually try to move away from your armies and give you the initiative.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Swiftshiver Deepwood Scouts, my man, they will absolutely ruin everything in their line but Marauder Champions. Bring Wild Riders and Wardancers with Asrai Spears to screen for your archers.

Having tried a full ranged line of five waywatcher units murdering the everlivingfuck out of 8 minotaurs I gotta say that they are also the absolute ecological murderbomb

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Mordja posted:

I'd been very mildly disappointed that TW2 didn't seem to have made any major graphical upgrades over the first game, but man, does that new lighting engine make a world of difference.

On the other hand, nobody has to upgrade their machines to play this one, and thank gently caress for that.

dead comedy forums posted:

Having tried a full ranged line of five waywatcher units murdering the everlivingfuck out of 8 minotaurs I gotta say that they are also the absolute ecological murderbomb

Like 3 Swiftshivers and 2 waywatchers is my gold standard for "I don't feel like engaging in melee today" as Welves. Pretty much nothing can get near you without getting absolutely hosed, 2 waywatcher units can focus down basically any unit surprisingly quickly and any single unit of swiftshiver scouts is basically area denial for all chaff. Wild Riders are basically just there for insurance/I felt like watching the physics engine that fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How competitive can we expect the ai to be after 100 turns? Most long campaigns can be finished before that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

On the other hand, nobody has to upgrade their machines to play this one, and thank gently caress for that.

lol I do but not because of the graphics card

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I am sorry about your hard drive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sassassin posted:

How competitive can we expect the ai to be after 100 turns? Most long campaigns can be finished before that.

Well, you'd hope you come at odds with some other super power that can cause major problems. One SFO game I played had Grimgor take over everything and come north juuuuust as I (Empire) finished chaos off. He'd send over groups of 6 stacks, and after all was said and done I really wished I was a vampire. Averland was a hosed to death pile of corpses.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it is more of the ram requirements

since I got a good card but old motherboard / cpu, I have to upgrade both of those to get better ram of a higher speed

which is about due anyways, it has been a long time

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah, don't play on normal and complain about the experience being too easy, that difficulty setting is for people who want to win regardless of anything they do.

Just get used to playing on very hard in every total war game for a mild challenge since the AI will have superior troops statwise early on and not be crippled as bad by it's 2 city economy with bad building choices.

Also consider a AI mod on the workshop.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
watching the Eagle Gates video i was gratified to see that one of the funnier High Elf units has made it in

the Silver Helms are the generic cavalry unit for the High Elves. But when you have an enemy target that seriously needs to be brought down in a hurry, it is then the Princes of Ulthuan call forth the DRAGON KNIGHTS OF CALEDOR
yes alright we know we stopped being able to wake the dragons years ago but we have given our horse armor a dragon theme and we still have our backup horse-size lances WE'RE STILL DRAGON KNIGHTS SHUT UP SHUT UP WE HATE YOU ALL

they're still really good anti-monster, but during times when there is not a hydra/hellpit abomination/t-rex bearing down on the battle line, a lot of line-militia are cracking jokes about how wow, dragons have a surprisingly oat-heavy diet

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Dragon Princes are the quintessential elven unit

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I believe the High Elves don't have any anti-large cavalry, which seems disadvantageous. Hopefully the Dragon Princes are similar to Wild Riders in performance and can zoom around wrecking things on the charge. Actually I hope all High Elves are just better, more obnoxious and OP Wood Elves. They have horse archers and (hopefully) wild rider equivalents already.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Their base unit is a spear man. They have several large monsters and a ballista that can go either way. They will have good archers. I am pretty sure they won't mind the lack of anti large cav.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Don't most factions not have anti-large cav?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Anti-large infantry are garbage against things like Dragon Ogres Shaggoths and Chaos Spawn, so spearmen barely count. Archers and war machines will get trodden all over, so I predict it's going to be horse archers and their own flying monsters I guess for HE to deal with other monsters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing how terrifying seeing 6 full stacks of Chaos aimed right at you. On the other hand with them all being dead I think I can have 10 full stacks running before I even get close to any real money issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/high-elf-army-roster/

Here they list 3 kinds of melee cavalry
Silver Helms (w/ a Shield variant)
Dragon Princes
Ellyrian Reavers (w/ a Missile Variant)

Sounds like the Silver Helms will be the shock cav, the Dragon Princes will be heavy cav (maybe with or without an anti-large bonus but probably with great stats) and the Ellyrians will be the light/skirmisher cav

• Locked thread