Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

It seems like something that would be more efficiently solved in another way, to me. One of those 'can we do things in a sane reliable engineered way, or come up with some wacky ssh solution?' situations. For one, if those boxes server as backups for each other(you mean clustered, right?) wouldn't you want them to have a shared backing datastore?

You're thinking redundancy, This is for backups. Backups sharing the same datastore would be nonsensical.

As far as why do it this way, it's probably partially historical and partially Unix philosophy. Remote differential backups are often done using rsync over SSH. ZFS snapshot backups are basically that at the filesystem level. SSH provides a trustworthy, secure, reliable, and compression-capable tunnel even over the open internet, so why reinvent the wheel on that part? The Unix philosophy part comes in there too, do your thing and lean on other tools to do their part. If SSH ever falls out of favor for whatever reason it can be replaced relatively easily by whatever takes its place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

wolrah posted:

You're thinking redundancy, This is for backups. Backups sharing the same datastore would be nonsensical.

As far as why do it this way, it's probably partially historical and partially Unix philosophy. Remote differential backups are often done using rsync over SSH. ZFS snapshot backups are basically that at the filesystem level. SSH provides a trustworthy, secure, reliable, and compression-capable tunnel even over the open internet, so why reinvent the wheel on that part? The Unix philosophy part comes in there too, do your thing and lean on other tools to do their part. If SSH ever falls out of favor for whatever reason it can be replaced relatively easily by whatever takes its place.

Also keeping backups on a different machine makes it much harder to gently caress them up. If you know server BACKUP-GOKU-CLOUD-420 will only every contain backups and nothing else ever, it's much easier to reconize you should be super careful with everything in there.

Compare this to keeping it on the same data store and you unknowingly make a linked directory to your backup directory inside the same directory as your file server. You forget to perform a 'rm' recursively while setting the option to not follow hardlinks and backups are gone super quick.

Mainly another system for backup is for a user to properly feel "we are not in Kansas anymore" and realize they have to do things different.

At least that is my experience from IT and dev work.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How I Accidentally Framed Myself for a Hacking Frenzy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EVIL Gibson posted:

Also keeping backups on a different machine makes it much harder to gently caress them up. If you know server BACKUP-GOKU-CLOUD-420 will only every contain backups and nothing else ever, it's much easier to reconize you should be super careful with everything in there.

Compare this to keeping it on the same data store and you unknowingly make a linked directory to your backup directory inside the same directory as your file server. You forget to perform a 'rm' recursively while setting the option to not follow hardlinks and backups are gone super quick.

Mainly another system for backup is for a user to properly feel "we are not in Kansas anymore" and realize they have to do things different.

At least that is my experience from IT and dev work.

yes, but this is all true, but why wouldn't you use an actual backup solution instead of copying snapshots across the network via ssh?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

RFC2324 posted:

yes, but this is all true, but why wouldn't you use an actual backup solution instead of copying snapshots across the network via ssh?

As long as it can be proven the backup data is on a separate system (one bad power supply killing both redundancy​ and backups is something I don't want to worry about )and then be able to tested and used to rebuild back to a state representative of the data; I really don't care if you are using flocks of parakeets to carry 64gig micro SD cards to do the restoration just as long as it is back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

If you're using ZFS you're probably already taking a snapshot as part of your backup process, so why not skip the middleman, at least for your primary backups? Also useful for DR sites.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Started out with the Georgia Weidman book and oh my god this is much funner and kind of easier than I thought. It helps that I know a lot of scripting and have worked with assembly. It's like everything I've learned points here :D

BTW, I had no idea there were these many tools to attack something

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

It seems like something that would be more efficiently solved in another way, to me. One of those 'can we do things in a sane reliable engineered way, or come up with some wacky ssh solution?' situations. For one, if those boxes server as backups for each other(you mean clustered, right?) wouldn't you want them to have a shared backing datastore?
I've obviously mis-phrased myself, and made it sound more mission-critical than it is.
In this situation, a friend and I have agreed to serve as additional backup (in addition to whatever other backup solutions we use; I have spideroak and an off-line disk - dunno what he uses) for each other, for stuff that's not private but is nevertheless stuff that we'd like to keep even if our houses spontaneously burst into flames, and not have to restore from cloud since +5TB has a habit of taking a rather long time.

We use zfs send | receive, ssh and mbuffer to transfer between each of our servers, after the initial backup which was done at a LAN party.
The incremental reverse delta nature of ZFS snapshots ensure that it's only changed data at the byte level as well as any new data that's actually transferred, which means it's even faster than if rsync was being used (because that works at a file level).

All that being said, I've also seen it used for fail-over in case of disaster-recovery for actually-critical data, which is where I got the idea.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've obviously mis-phrased myself, and made it sound more mission-critical than it is.
In this situation, a friend and I have agreed to serve as additional backup (in addition to whatever other backup solutions we use; I have spideroak and an off-line disk - dunno what he uses) for each other, for stuff that's not private but is nevertheless stuff that we'd like to keep even if our houses spontaneously burst into flames, and not have to restore from cloud since +5TB has a habit of taking a rather long time.

We use zfs send | receive, ssh and mbuffer to transfer between each of our servers, after the initial backup which was done at a LAN party.
The incremental reverse delta nature of ZFS snapshots ensure that it's only changed data at the byte level as well as any new data that's actually transferred, which means it's even faster than if rsync was being used (because that works at a file level).

All that being said, I've also seen it used for fail-over in case of disaster-recovery for actually-critical data, which is where I got the idea.

Sure. I get you, but understand that it isn't normal to use a backup as a or part of live environment except for the times it needs to be talked to when backing up things.

How frequently do you do this back up? Even if you just roll off the 'backup' zpool (is backup on it's own vdev?) to an external drive every once in awhile and be able to say, 100%, your data is safe and can be recovered no matter if the zpool had multiple drives just fail at the same time (much more common than you would think in any raid especially if using hard drives from the same batch)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sure. I get you, but understand that it isn't normal to use a backup as a or part of live environment except for the times it needs to be talked to when backing up things.

How frequently do you do this back up? Even if you just roll off the 'backup' zpool (is backup on it's own vdev?) to an external drive every once in awhile and be able to say, 100%, your data is safe and can be recovered no matter if the zpool had multiple drives just fail at the same time (much more common than you would think in any raid especially if using hard drives from the same batch)
Oh, I get that, this is an unusual setup. Backup to SpiderOak is continuous, backup to the off-site server is once a day, and backup to my off-line disk is once a week. Part of the reason that it's like this is that it gives the maximum opportunity for disaster recovery while keeping the cost low and ensuring that I can programmatically test the backups to ensure that they work - what use is a backup that you can't test?

Believe me, I'd love to not have had a cancer diagnosis and have been able to find a job so that I could do things in a more sane way, but that's not how things turned out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So...yeah.

That happened.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/905946778608050176

https://twitter.com/x0rz/status/906046732722679808

https://twitter.com/mrjohnkelly73/status/906048026665472001

https://twitter.com/Daniel15/status/905953979934187520

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
July 29th, they knew that they had a breach. Three managers dumped stock shortly afterward but it was totally coincidental.

August 22nd, they register a domain as outreach regarding the breach.

September 7th, they announce the breach.

For the first time in my career, I am way more interested in how the bureaucracy played out than the technicals of the breach.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not sure data security regulations are a good idea, but maybe those are worth a try and this fuckup will prompt some action on that front.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lain Iwakura posted:

July 29th, they knew that they had a breach. Three managers dumped stock shortly afterward but it was totally coincidental.

August 22nd, they register a domain as outreach regarding the breach.

September 7th, they announce the breach.

For the first time in my career, I am way more interested in how the bureaucracy played out than the technicals of the breach.

It wasn't just "three managers," it was the CIO, CEO, and another dude.

Insider trading is something that we actually still seek justice for in this country, so expect them to be at least investigated.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lain Iwakura posted:

You're growing up so fast, girl.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

You're growing up so fast, girl.

I blame some recent projects at work for making me get over my aversion to policy.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Lain Iwakura posted:

I blame some recent projects at work for making me get over my aversion to policy.
Heh, I started in infosec auditing policies and compliance only. The other way around from most people, I guess.

I kind of like it that way, there's something about working with people that get you a most satisfying feeling than just the technical aspect. Especially when you show just how dumb some people are with their data.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People can change technology. Technology can't change people.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

Technology can't change people.

Depends on the technology really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, prosthetics are a good example, or ECT. And not all people can change technology.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

potentially dumb question:

If I put a veracrypt volume in my google drive, then make changes on the drive (mount it, add/remove files etc, unmount it) would google drive sync those changes?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have little doubt that I'm a different person now than I would have been without the internet over the past 30 years.

It seems like the hard part is to make intentional (particularly social / psychological / behavioral) changes in people with technology, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, our lives would be different without electricity as well. That's not quite where I was headed.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

well why not posted:

potentially dumb question:

If I put a veracrypt volume in my google drive, then make changes on the drive (mount it, add/remove files etc, unmount it) would google drive sync those changes?

Yes, once you unmount it. But they won't be able to upload the diff only because, being encrypted, the differences in the files will be all over the place (whereas for unencrypted files they can just do that, to save bandwidth). So chances are your whole volume will have to be re-uploaded fully each time, so don't make it too large.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, our lives would be different without electricity as well. That's not quite where I was headed.

I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just contributing to the conversation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

So...yeah.

That happened.

I honestly feel like giving up on this industry sometimes. It doesn't matter what we do from an infosec perspective, this poo poo is only getting worse. It's disheartening as gently caress that still, after all these breaches, including new ones like this, it feels like we're fighting an uphill battle.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

I honestly feel like giving up on this industry sometimes. It doesn't matter what we do from an infosec perspective, this poo poo is only getting worse. It's disheartening as gently caress that still, after all these breaches, including new ones like this, it feels like we're fighting an uphill battle.

Its okay.

It has always been on fire, everyone everywhere is running around with their hands on fire right now, and especially with the commoditization of IT, people will be running around with their hands on fire in the future.

https://twitter.com/awoodash/status/906193650421551105

This one reminded me of The Phoenix Project

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Here's my cynical take on this:

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/906187950974689280

If the insider trading didn't occur, this would be far, far less worse for them. Now they'll have to deal with having the SEC go over a decade of trades from their organisation.

TransUnion is going to take a lot of notes from this to ensure that they ride this out better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thermopyle posted:

I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just contributing to the conversation.

Yeah, sorry. Sick and cranky today.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Phoenix Project is a good book, I would highly recommend to anyone in this thread.

This is good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, sorry. Sick and cranky today.

It happens to everyone!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

Infinite job security

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CLAM DOWN posted:

As long these companies are seen as victims only it'll keep happening. My opinion is that they are only partly victim. They have their fair share of responsibility and they should somehow be held accountable for that.

After all, if I leave my door open (or don't put enough locks on it, even) my home insurance isn't going to compensate me when somebody breaks in. This is the exact same thing.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Infinite job security

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Furism posted:

After all, if I leave my door open (or don't put enough locks on it, even) my home insurance isn't going to compensate me when somebody breaks in. This is the exact same thing.

According to this post thats not exactly the case:

Thomamelas posted:

They treat them exactly the same as burglary claims made because someone forgot to lock the door. They try to nickle and dime you over the replacement value of the items lost and then cut a check. Very few home owners insurance policies require forced entry. And something like 40% of all burglaries don't involve forced entry. They also pay out if you leave the keys in the ignition and the car is stolen. The claims adjuster might try to screw you more but that's a personal choice on their part rather than a legal one.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My insurance requires a 5 points-lock for the front-door otherwise if it's breached they don't compensate me (or not fully).

It's not a 100% comparison, ok, but I think you get my analogy :)

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Infinite job security
Except when they blame you for things outside your scope and control! :shepicide:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is me doing infosec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So literally any info, even fake garbage, was likely at risk? Dang I guess we should all sign up for the credit monitoring.

Borrowed this from another thread:

quote:

You give up your right to sue Equifax. If you get the credit monitoring service, you must agree to submit any complaints against Equifax to arbitration. You can’t sue on your own behalf, and you can’t join a class-action case or benefit from any class-action settlement that Equifax agrees to.

Well alright then.