Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Risky Bisquick posted:

He tries to claim washroom as a room where he conducts business

Well, that's where you get things down on paper, I can see his rationale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is fine. Doing some time will set him straight. If not, can rinse and repeat for his third audit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

He also spends a ton of time bitching about how his income has dropped, I guess due to something Youtube did re:monetization? It means he can't pay his sister in law as much as he promised for her to live in the shed and clean for them.

It's amazing how hosed up his attitude is. Like I have been a W-2 employee my whole working life and I still know how much he's messed up on his deductions. He could probably have easily claimed the actual green-screen room and a couple other setpiece areas for his business, but instead he tried to claim two whole floors and a basement as being business use.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know CPA's get poo poo on in BFC, but this is a perfect example of why they're needed. Even the shittiest of them would have said, "Er, no" at some point in this mess.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know CPA's get poo poo on in BFC, but this is a perfect example of why they're needed. Even the shittiest of them would have said, "Er, no" at some point in this mess.

I don't think CPAs get too much poo poo in BFC, if they are actually doing accounting and record keeping work? Financial advisors, on the other hand...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It's up more than 10x since April 2014, so who knows? Bitcoin makes reality wrong.

I stand by my statement that I don't think any bitcoin youtuber has a million dollars :colbert:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ashcans posted:

4) Snidely points out all the personal stuff that has been in videos that he was gracious enough not to claim (like his lawnmower).

:psyduck:

Uh, he actually says the lawnmower wasn't a "sole" business expense which means he didn't claim 100% of it. That video is excellent BWtaxes and even more satisfying that my bitcoiner theory.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

My racecar bed isn't a qualified business expense?! gently caress the IRS taxation is theft

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2017

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Ashcans posted:

I watched this so you didn't have to. Highlights:

1) This is actually his SECOND audit, because he previously tried to claim his divorce as a business expense. Somehow he managed to learn nothing from that about claiming insane poo poo or documenting anything.

2) He is outraged that the IRS wants to inspect his house to confirm he uses it as his business location, because he claimed the entire house; instead he is trying to give them a video tour so that they don't have to come see him.

3) Proceeds to show us all the rooms in his house and justifies them as business related because he shot a video there or someone he collaborated with on a video used the room.

4) Snidely points out all the personal stuff that has been in videos that he was gracious enough not to claim (like his lawnmower).

:psyduck:

On one point, he somehow has over 1200 people giving him money, and apparently enough of a successful youtube business that he could, at one point, afford a loving tesla.

On the other side, :lol: if he thought the IRS would want his lovely video. Oh yeah, this obvious kids room is a loving business room.

:lol: Going through his other videos, he got a puppy recently, so he could use it in videos.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 8, 2017

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Comedy option (I don't know how US taxes work): Your house is now a business and you get -x. However, as you are privately living in it, we will assess fictional income at arm's length, as if you rented your house to yourself for x plus a 5% net margin. :kheldragar:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahahaha, he films a picture of himself in a mirror and says "I didn't deduct that, but now I can because it's a business expense now!"

loving holy poo poo this is loving awesome. He thinks if he ever films a video in one room that whole room is a loving business expense. This is hilarious. He's going to get loving destroyed.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Randler posted:

Comedy option (I don't know how US taxes work): Your house is now a business and you get -x. However, as you are privately living in it, we will assess fictional income at arm's length, as if you rented your house to yourself for x plus a 5% net margin. :kheldragar:

Taxing imputed rent for homeowners would be a good policy, but would start an absolute shitstorm.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why does he have so many "editing stations" :psyduck:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Randler posted:

There is nothing wrong with writing off certain rooms of your house as business expense if that is their primary usage. His green screen room and the stuff in it, probably could be written off. His office, probably could have written it off.

Interesting though would be if you Big Brothered your house where everything was on camera at all times except maybe bathrooms and changing. Would that qualify as a business expense? Not sure I'd want to risk testing that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HFX posted:

There is nothing wrong with writing off certain rooms of your house as business expense if that is their primary usage. His green screen room and the stuff in it, probably could be written off. His office, probably could have written it off.

Interesting though would be if you Big Brothered your house where everything was on camera at all times except maybe bathrooms and changing. Would that qualify as a business expense? Not sure I'd want to risk testing that.

That greenscreen room had a ton of videogame poo poo in it "for my gaming channel" which means that he's probably actually spending most of the time in there playing videogames and maybe streaming them, possibly

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
God, that idiot uses the same kinds of excuses that my father in law uses on his business "expenses". Take the family of 4 down to visit extended family? Hotel, gas, meals, movie tickets, amusement park tickets, are all business expenses! Because we mentioned the company one time! My husband is going to inherit this (admittedly nice) business one of these years and we have no idea how to rectify all these miscategorizations before we become responsible for them if ever audited.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

HFX posted:

You would still only be able to deduct a percentage of expenses based on the total amount of time you use the space for business purposes in that case. Deducting business expenses is seriously not hard: if you use it specifically for business and only business and (this part is important) it's part of normal expected operation of a business of that nature, deduct it. If you use part of it or use it only part of the time, you can deduct as much percentage as you can feasibly use the space or time of it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

Taxing imputed rent for homeowners would be a good policy, but would start an absolute shitstorm.

Why stop at houses?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There are also times when he points something out, like a PS1 he has bought, and says 'I haven't decided if that's a business expense yet'.

I really hope that there are some IRS agents getting a solid laugh out of it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

More recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E2huZzcQyc

He's still not getting it but he's sad now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nobody told me I had to log mileage in the car!

Also I totally loving called it with TurboTax because he blames them not "educating him" that he had to do these things lmao

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Look, you can't expect someone who doesn't know anything about the internet to know how to look up tax rules online

So what's this guy do for a living anyway?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Nobody told me I had to log mileage in the car!

Also I totally loving called it with TurboTax because he blames them not "educating him" that he had to do these things lmao
"Nobody educated me on literally all of the things I'm responsible to figure out or seek guidance on like a responsible adult!"

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Droo posted:

Look, you can't expect someone who doesn't know anything about the internet to know how to look up tax rules online

So what's this guy do for a living anyway?

Youtube star

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
"What's the point of a business credit card if you have to prove your transactions? Shouldn't it be self-evident from the consistency?"

:allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TLG James posted:

Youtube star

:thejoke:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Man, I remember running a very tiny LLC out of my house and trying to figure out deductions and realizing how incredibly easy it is to end up with waaaaaay too many. Like I store inventory in this room and it's 10% of my house and my mortgage is so-and-so and holy poo poo I will get such a huge tax return and this can not go wrong at all. It was at that point I decided I needed a professional.

It is funny seeing people think they can deduct themselves into zero tax liability like they're the first person in the world to ever try and call a vacation a business expense.

He's going to burn.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahahaha, he films a picture of himself in a mirror and says "I didn't deduct that, but now I can because it's a business expense now!"

loving holy poo poo this is loving awesome. He thinks if he ever films a video in one room that whole room is a loving business expense. This is hilarious. He's going to get loving destroyed.

He'll make another video. "Oh and IRS - I once mentioned in a video that I was going to help paint my mom's linen closet. So guess what? That paint = BUSINESS EXPENSE. Also one time I referenced the local Walgreens when talking about my divorce. You guessed it - BUSINESS EXPENSE. "

:smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You need to go post this in the schadenfreude thread, because this is the good stuff.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He's going to have his fans donate to pay his tax bill and then fail to report that as income, because it's money for paying taxes he already owes! :downs:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

He's going to have his fans donate to pay his tax bill and then fail to report that as income, because it's money for paying taxes he already owes! :downs:

wait is that real?

I gotta watch the video. He could use the money, I guess.

edit this guy's voice and face are annoying, people watch his poo poo every day?? how?

edit2: hahahaha oh my god this is so fantastic

edit3: the fake / real whatever the gently caress crying :discourse:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 8, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait is that real?

edit this guy's voice and face are annoying, people watch his poo poo every day?? how?

I told my friend about it and he knew who it was but "only because I've heard second hand that they're a terrible person but I can't remember why" lol

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait is that real?

The only person I feel bad for in all this is whoever has to go through and watch all that guy's videos. Did this guy learn about taxes watching sitcoms?

Okay, Marge, if anybody asks, you require 24-hour nursing care, Lisa's a clergyman, Maggie is seven people and Bart was wounded in Vietnam.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I do feel bad for his kids, because chances are he is not going to impart very good financial lessons to them.

Also the dog he bought, but dogs have terrible financial decision making no matter what you teach them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Randler posted:

What jurisdiction are you in where that's how it would play out? I haven't heard of imputed rent being done like that!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's just making all this up.

Make an easily doxxed burner Reddit account and watch as your 'tax problems' make you a viral sensation.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Subjunctive posted:

What jurisdiction are you in where that's how it would play out? I haven't heard of imputed rent being done like that!

It is a bit exaggregated for comedic purpose, but in Germany - where I'm from - if you use business assets for private use that results in taxable income. Also incurrs VAT in a lot of cases.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ashcans posted:

I do feel bad for his kids, because chances are he is not going to impart very good financial lessons to them.

Also the dog he bought, but dogs have terrible financial decision making no matter what you teach them.

You say that, but I've never seen my dog buy a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

You need to do yout research because the irs has a habit of asking for documents that they do not have the right to request plus they will estimate a number that they think you owe and most people won't fight it and it is an easy way to make money. irs is a scam. seriously look into your rights and fight this. they are taking advantage of you and using the fact that you are naive to the process to intimidate you into paying out a sum you don't actually owe.

the best thing that could happen is if he goes all kent hovind on this poo poo