Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

rgocs posted:

We're having our son's birthday party at a nearby park (10-min walk, 2 min drive). We're making hotdogs for the kids. We don't have a portable BBQ, so I was planning of boiling them at home and bringing the pot with the hotdogs (still in the hot water) to the park. How long could the hotdogs stay in the hot water in the park before they get eaten?

Once they get below 140°, you're basically talking about keeping them at room temperature,
for which the USDA says one hour if you're above 90°, which they presumably would be. Starting out in hot water adds a bit to that, but the drop from 212° to 140° shouldn't take all that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Once they get below 140°, you're basically talking about keeping them at room temperature,
for which the USDA says one hour if you're above 90°, which they presumably would be. Starting out in hot water adds a bit to that, but the drop from 212° to 140° shouldn't take all that long.
Cool, I can make do with an hour. Thanks for the info.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Volcott posted:

How long should I microwave a potato pancake for?
Heat it up in a toaster oven or in a frying pan.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

My roommate has a ton of ripe pears that are going to spoil before he could possibly finish them all. Is there something we could make with them?? We don't have an ice cream maker unfortunately.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FAT BATMAN posted:

My roommate has a ton of ripe pears that are going to spoil before he could possibly finish them all. Is there something we could make with them?? We don't have an ice cream maker unfortunately.

Pear tarte tatin

White wine or vermouth-poached pears with strawberry compote and creme anglaise

Pear, walnut, cranberry, and spinach salad

Pear halves stuffed with lamb, rice, and advieh then grilled

Pear chips

Pear pie, crisp, cobbler

Pear bread pudding

Almonds and pears go together amazingly well, so get creative there

Thinly sliced pear in a ham sandwich or cubano

Pear butter (like apple butter, but pear)

Pear cheesecake

Pear compote on pancakes or crepes

Pear and cardamom is a super good combination. Muffins? Quickbread?

Make pear yeast water and then brioche your life

Pear on a tartine

Pear tamales

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Is it possible to replace deep frying with baking, in general? I am (sad to say) terrified of deep frying and would much rather bake (or even just regular-fry) these mozzarella sticks I've got a recipe for. If the oil's supposed to be 325F, can I just bake them at 325F for similar results?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Is it possible to replace deep frying with baking, in general? I am (sad to say) terrified of deep frying and would much rather bake (or even just regular-fry) these mozzarella sticks I've got a recipe for. If the oil's supposed to be 325F, can I just bake them at 325F for similar results?

I had this problem but I solved it by modifying the recipe so I used thick, round slices of mozzarella instead of sticks and fried them in a pan. This works really well and even makes it easy to use nice fresh mozzarella since it tends to come in logs or rounds which cut into nice thick slices easily.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't gently caress with deep-frying either. There are some things man was not meant to do.

Option 1, look up a recipe for baked mozzarella sticks and combine them. Air doesn't conduct heat as well as boiling oil, so just changing a fried recipe to the oven won't work.

Option 2, shallow-fry at the bottom of a deep, narrow saucepan. Similar results (flip halfway), much less terrifying and less potential for mayhem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

You can often get away with this for breaded meats, but the whole point of the technique for mozz sticks is to quickly cook the breading before the cheese absorbs enough heat to boil out. Shallow fry it in a pan if you can't bear to deep fry.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I actually like baked mozzarella sticks, when they bust open and some cheese oozes out and gets nice and brown and crispy. :yum:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

FAT BATMAN posted:

Peel 'em, poach 'em in red wine and sugar. Eat 'em with ice cream.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

put some clove, cinnamon stick and star anise in as well

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Volcott posted:

How long should I microwave a potato pancake for?

Are you looking to reheat it? I mean you're not trying to take a pile of shredded potato and microwave it to get a pancake out of it, right?

Tycho suggested a toaster a few posts up. I'd say that would be good. Try it at medium for a cycle and see how warm that gets it. You might want to wrap it in foil or parchment paper to keep the toaster from getting too oily.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Been buying some cooking kits from SimplyCook. I'm not a shill, but their customer service has been astounding. A box I ordered got lost in the mail, so they sent me a replacement and gave me 50% off my next box (boxes are already cheap as chips, £9.99 and the box comes with 4 separate recipes that you pick). The lost box eventually arrived a week and a half after my replacement, so since they've been good to me, I'ma send it back to them. Boxes used to be £8.99 but I guess they've raised the price for whatever reason.

Basically, the boxes have premixed powders, so you can make all sorts of dishes and all you need to get are the physical ingredients yourself, which is made hella convenient and easy since there's a small tearaway slip of paper that has the few ingredients you need. The spice mixes and sauces are all included. They've tasted pretty drat good so far, best dish I made was a Prawn Jalfrezi and it knocked my socks off. I'm making a Beef Stroganoff tonight and am feeling optimistic about that, and will make a Chicken Katsu Curry sometime in the next few days.

It works out to be around £2.50 for each recipe. It's definitely much cheaper to buy the spices and stuff yourself, but it makes cooking so much easier cause it's all done for you already. I'm also being a bit of a cheapskate by using these guys to try out recipes and see which I like, and then I go and learn how to make the recipe from scratch with my own spices. So for example, I know for a fact that I really like their Prawn Jalfrezi and their Lamb Keema, so from now on, I won't order from them and will instead invest in the initial high price of whatever spices these recipes use, so I can end up making each recipe for much less than if I were to buy premixed from them.

They have an initial discount where your first ever box costs something cheap like £3 or £1, I can't remember. It has a subscription, but you can cancel and renew once you've received your first box and decided you like it.

If anyone wants to be kind and use my referral code, send me a PM and I'll send it your way. I don't know what it does, but it probably gives a discount on your second box and a discount on my next box or something.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
What's a good way to flavor a chicken and spinach wrap? I generally season and bake the chicken in bulk and have the wrap on my way out the door, so it has to be tasty when cold and not risk dripping into my lap. I'm also open to spreading something on the tortilla if it also meets those requirements. I'm getting bored of fajita spices, although it's the prebottled mix so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Q8ee posted:

SimplyCook

That'd be nice in the US. Blue Apron felt so overpriced when I tried it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Unbelievably White posted:

What's a good way to flavor a chicken and spinach wrap? I generally season and bake the chicken in bulk and have the wrap on my way out the door, so it has to be tasty when cold and not risk dripping into my lap. I'm also open to spreading something on the tortilla if it also meets those requirements. I'm getting bored of fajita spices, although it's the prebottled mix so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

That'd be nice in the US. Blue Apron felt so overpriced when I tried it.

Hoisin, maybe, or lemongrass.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Not a particularly helpful suggestion, but
my favorite poultry wrap has, for years, been the sun-dried tomato smoked turkey pinwheels from Costco and Sam's Club. As far as I can tell it's 100% from the use of a sun-dried tomato cream cheese. Anybody have any idea? That cream cheese they use would be the perfect non-drip thing to live up a daily chicken wrap.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Loutre posted:

my favorite poultry wrap has, for years, been the sun-dried tomato smoked turkey pinwheels from Costco and Sam's Club. As far as I can tell it's 100% from the use of a sun-dried tomato cream cheese. Anybody have any idea? That cream cheese they use would be the perfect non-drip thing to live up a daily chicken wrap.

You can probably just chop up some sun-dried tomatoes and fold them into some cream cheese. Chopped spinach and bell peppers sound pretty good to go with the tomatoes.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I got a nice, hefty sirloin tip roast (choice) for a song this morning, plan on making it for ~football kickoff~ but I'm not sure which route to take.

I COULD marinade for tacos the same way I usually do beef or pork shoulders, throw it in the slow cooker and call it day.... But would that be a waste for this cut? Should I cube it up and blast it like a steak? Two-day that sous vide rig?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Peetown Manning posted:

I got a nice, hefty sirloin tip roast (choice) for a song this morning, plan on making it for ~football kickoff~ but I'm not sure which route to take.

I COULD marinade for tacos the same way I usually do beef or pork shoulders, throw it in the slow cooker and call it day.... But would that be a waste for this cut? Should I cube it up and blast it like a steak? Two-day that sous vide rig?

No nooooo. Do not slow cooker this. Marinade in worstershire, pepper, garlic, and a bit of soy sauce, then grill to medium rare, rest, slice thin against the grain, serve diy taco-bar style.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Suspect Bucket posted:

No nooooo. Do not slow cooker this. Marinade in worstershire, pepper, garlic, and a bit of soy sauce, then grill to medium rare, rest, slice thin against the grain, serve diy taco-bar style.

That is what I was suspecting. thanks for the save!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Phew. Glad I could help. It's a good griller! Especially as choice, it'll be a lean cut with a bit of marbling.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 7, 2017

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I got curious and the googles won't really answer me. What would cashews and or almonds be like in a crockpot of chili for eight hours?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks ya'll!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hoisin, maybe, or lemongrass.

I'm inexperienced with both of these. Would I be cooking the meat in it or adding it afterwards?

Loutre posted:

Lawnie posted:

You can probably just chop up some sun-dried tomatoes and fold them into some cream cheese. Chopped spinach and bell peppers sound pretty good to go with the tomatoes.

I like the sound of this. I'm a little worried that inexpensive sundried tomatoes will be kinda leathery, but if it doesn't work out I can drop them into soup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

juliuspringle posted:

I got curious and the googles won't really answer me. What would cashews and or almonds be like in a crockpot of chili for eight hours?

Mostly mushy. Add 2 hours prior to serving for good texture.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like the sound of this. I'm a little worried that inexpensive sundried tomatoes will be kinda leathery, but if it doesn't work out I can drop them into soup.

If you're worried about the texture, rather than chopping them, blitz them in the food processor. They'll be easier to fully incorporate into the cream cheese this way as well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I spent £20 on high quality beef fillet to put into my stroganoff, only to realise I can't stand the taste of stroganoff. I should have changed the sour cream out for regular cream, I knew that'd taste funky.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Also do not for any reason use a £20 cut of meat for a peasant meal

E: actually just never buy filet mignon for any reason

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Q8ee posted:

I should have changed the sour cream out for regular cream

Q8ee posted:

stroganoff

You require sour cream for a stroganoff, without it you are making beef in cream sauce. Did you use brandy and mustard in the sauce?

Perhaps you could swap the sour cream for regular cream, the mustard for sharp cheddar and the brandy for peas, then you could call it a carbonara.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Q8ee posted:

I spent £20 on high quality beef fillet to put into my stroganoff, only to realise I can't stand the taste of stroganoff. I should have changed the sour cream out for regular cream, I knew that'd taste funky.

Maybe your meal kits taste better because you're not making substitutions.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

Don't feel bad, I once accidentally made a quiche, and had to throw it away because I hate the taste of quiche.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

Don't feel bad, I once accidentally made a quiche, and had to throw it away because I hate the taste of quiche.

You must have done it wrong, quiche is impossible to dislike

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I really dislike the taste of eggs. I don't mind if it's in a cake or custard, but if I can recognize the egg, then I just can't eat it. I've tried to get over it, since I managed to get over my dislike of green vegetables, but every time I try it I just can't do it. It's a pity, because I really like the look of things like Omelettes and Frittatas...

The thing was described as a "Savoury Tart", and I somehow overlooked the fact that by binding the filling with 6 eggs, I was in fact making a quiche.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'm the same but with coconut. Which is weird cause coconut water doesn't bother me. If I taste any of the coconut flesh though I turn into a 5 year old and push away the dish.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of quiche, my wife loves to make it but it's heavy and dense. I prefer light and airy but don't make quiche myself and know nothing about it. She insists it's supposed to be that way and I don't think so. Anyone have a recipe to a light and fluffy quiche or is she right and it's supposed to heavy?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Speaking of quiche, my wife loves to make it but it's heavy and dense. I prefer light and airy but don't make quiche myself and know nothing about it. She insists it's supposed to be that way and I don't think so. Anyone have a recipe to a light and fluffy quiche or is she right and it's supposed to heavy?

Quiche shouldn't really be heavy and dense. They're eggs, and since when have eggs ever been heavy/dense? I have no idea if this would work but one way to lighten almost anything is to introduce a bunch of air. Maybe whip the beaten eggs to incorporate a bunch of air, almost like a genoise sponge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you beat the eggs pretty well they should have a fair amount of air in them. If you want it even fluffier, whip the egg whites separately into a soft meringue then fold in your ingredients. That may be too light, but im sure you can find a happy medium.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but making it lighter makes it more like fast-food breakfast sandwich eggs. It doesn't have the best associations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

wormil posted:

I find the baking too hot makes my quiches pillow up, but then fall and get dense. If you cook them more gently they keep their shape better and are lighter. I also like using more of a frittata ratio for my dairy. 12 eggs, half a cup of dairy. Obviously, whole milk will be lighter than half and half or cream. Don't go any lower fat than that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Scientastic posted:

You must have done it wrong, quiche is impossible to dislike
I like quiche, but I find quiche usually looks like it would taste better than it does.