Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

There were quite a few, but few of them were really worth mentioning.

How dare you speak that way of the chip that turns the SNES into a 32-bit system specifically to play shogi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This just showed up randomly in my YT recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZX9dfax8zs

Seen it before but I had to watch it again. :suspense:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I never understood how the par times on doom levels worked

it really feels like they're actually pacifist speedrun times because otherwise, how do you even find all the keycards and get to the exit in that amount of time, let alone have time for killing?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

They're for speedrunners, who generally don't care much for killing monsters, just for reaching the exit ASAP.

Some of them can be interesting, but I much prefer to watch UV Max runs, where they get all items/secrets/kills ASAP.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Par times were also in Wolfenstein 3D. Was speed running a thing in the early nineties or did they just make that poo poo up?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Star Man posted:

Par times were also in Wolfenstein 3D. Was speed running a thing in the early nineties or did they just make that poo poo up?

I imagine id Software began timing themselves to break up the monotony of playtesting levels, especially since there would be a lot of merit to getting through a level faster and faster if they wanted to see how a particular bugfix or level layout change affected things. Or it could just be bragging rights, after all the heavy lifting was done; "We know this game's levels so well that we can beat them in t amount of time!", making it a personal boast and challenge to players to be better than the id boys.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I seem to recall John Romero saying it was how fast he could personally get through the levels

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kthulhu5000 posted:

be better than the id boys.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

This just showed up randomly in my YT recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZX9dfax8zs

Seen it before but I had to watch it again. :suspense:

That revenant tower is too much

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

I never understood how the par times on doom levels worked

it really feels like they're actually pacifist speedrun times because otherwise, how do you even find all the keycards and get to the exit in that amount of time, let alone have time for killing?

John Romero decided to play each level about as fast as he thought he could once each and then rounded up by about 15-30 seconds (on the idea that players might get too frustrated if they something like "E1M1: PAR 0:10" which is really quite hard to manage for a while), and then put them in the game Hardly like scientific, but he was only looking to set something for people to aim for and exceed.

People who make custom levels are free to add a custom par time that matches their actual level these days (used to be you had to edit the executable to change them, so only serious modifications would do it), but usually they don't so the map will just be assigned the same par time as the original level it replaced.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Running through a level as fast as I can without shooting anybody is the only way I play FPS games now because of the Doom par times, which is why Titanfall 2 is the best FPS game since Quake 1

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Man I loving love the Nintendo 64. It's got terrible graphics and a controller made for the three armed mutants of the future but there are so many great games for it.
I just started playing Paper Mario again for the first time in 10+ years and it's still a great game. It's a shame that it came out at the end of the consoles life so many people didn't get a chance to play it. A very complete and fun experience and one of the few games to avoid the reckless rush to 3d graphics that defined the era.

Me and my brother played Smash Bros until we forgot that our controllers used to have auto centering. It's still the most balanced of the Smash franchise and while it is more limited then newer titles it's still the foundation for the series.

My overall favorite game for console is F-Zero X. When you press the brake button you lose health and go faster. If only getting stereo sound didn't cost $1000+ dollars...

My Dad bought me Bomberman 64 as my first ever video game. The bizarre duality of a fun party game and a single player mode where everything including your own bombs killed you with one hit really make this a one of a kind game.

Maybe one day I'll get a Nintendo Switch. But it won't ever replace the 64 and all the great times its given me.

Agree 1000%. The 64 is my favorite retro console by far.

Also yes, get an ED64 Plus at least for $60 on amazon so you can play DD games and Goldeneye X. Totally worth it if you already love the 64 library.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For what it's worth there is a Metroid 2 color hack that does work on GBC as I've played it often. I'd have to check my romset to see what it's called though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I like the only Sony kid here?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

While you console chumps were sharing a low resolution TV screen I was playing Quake over a phone line.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Star Man posted:

Lots of people in here like Sony consoles. I don't understand why you wouldn't like Sony and Nintendo at the same time. I get maybe being more Nintendo vs Sega or Sony vs Microsoft.

I prefer Sony/Nintendo/PC. Still collect for Xbox, though I stopped collecting for Sega since I cared about very few exclusives and Playstation/Nintendo/Xbox is already too much for me at this point.

SwissCM posted:

While you console chumps were sharing a low resolution TV screen I was playing Quake over a phone line.

Haha, on your low res CRT monitor?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

flyboi posted:

For what it's worth there is a Metroid 2 color hack that does work on GBC as I've played it often. I'd have to check my romset to see what it's called though.

Yeah bgb spits out an error at any little checksum fail or whatever. Don't let it tell you what you can and cannot play on your Game Boy :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FireMrshlBill posted:

Lots of people in here like Sony consoles. I don't understand why you wouldn't like Sony and Nintendo at the same time. I get maybe being more Nintendo vs Sega or Sony vs Microsoft.

I prefer Sony/Nintendo/PC. Still collect for Xbox, though I stopped collecting for Sega since I cared about very few exclusives and Playstation/Nintendo/Xbox is already too much for me at this point.

800x600 at 10 frames a second :hellyeah:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Yeah, consoles didn't catch up to PC resolutions for about fifteen years so there's not a whole room there for poo poo talking "low res CRT monitors".

(Also, I'm typing this on a CRT monitor!

I suppose hooking a computer up to it would make it more effective...)

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, consoles didn't catch up to PC resolutions for about fifteen years so there's not a whole room there for poo poo talking "low res CRT monitors".

(Also, I'm typing this on a CRT monitor!

I suppose hooking a computer up to it would make it more effective...)

Hmm, in 1995 the average monitor was probably a 14" SVGA or XGA... so we are talking about 800x600 or 1024x768. Even then many people were still only gaming on 640x480 anyway. So not really high res, I remember those days.

SwissCM got the joke.

SwissCM posted:

800x600 at 10 frames a second :hellyeah:

Talking about "playing with power" :smug:

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 9, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Hmm, in 1995 the average monitor was probably a 14" SVGA or XGA... so we are talking about 800x600 or 1024x768. Even then many people were still only gaming on 640x480 anyway. So not really high res, I remember those days.

SwissCM got the joke.

What kind of loser didn't have a gaming rig capable of doing at least 800x600. :smith:

I'm sitting here doing a console mod and I'm becoming annoyed that I'm all out of hotglue. How can I possibly finish without that?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

What kind of loser didn't have a gaming rig capable of doing at least 800x600. :smith:

I'm sitting here doing a console mod and I'm becoming annoyed that I'm all out of hotglue. How can I possibly finish without that?

Haha, I guess a 10 year old one...

Lots and lots of electrical tape?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Star Man posted:

poo poo, looks like we got a live one here. boys and girls. Someone get the pipe wrenches, we need to teach this guy that a Plumber is better than a Bandicoot :toughguy:.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neddy Seagoon posted:

poo poo, looks like we got a live one here. boys and girls. Someone get the pipe wrenches, we need to teach this guy that a Plumber is better than a Bandicoot :toughguy:.

Sounds like a mission for Solid Snake.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

I think every retro gamer worth their salt has to have a PS2 because, and I'm not stepping on any toes here, the PS1+2 library I pretty much unparalleled and the controller is still perfect.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

So pro: the system cost me an entire dollar at a garage sale and frankly I was surprised it even started.

Con: I just sucked one of those half millimeter resistors right off the board when I was trying to solder a wire to it... And it still took me ten minutes to get the solder off the board so that it wasn't continuous there...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

What're you modding?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

In Training posted:

I think every retro gamer worth their salt has to have a PS2 because, and I'm not stepping on any toes here, the PS1+2 library I pretty much unparalleled and the controller is still perfect.

If ever Sony made a Dual Shock that had a non-segmented directional pad (and not a licensed third party, either), then the controller would be perfect. And I would probably buy them all. Because gently caress that d-pad forever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

What're you modding?

Just a PS1. Doing it more for soldering practice than anything else (it really is a $1 garage sale pick up) but this chip (the Mayumi 4) requires soldering to some extremely tiny connections for surface mounted components on a tight board. One on a single pin in a square package and two more on those mote of dust sized resistors. I was thinking I'd just bodge in a through hole resistor once I got the board cleaned up but I also shorted two pins on the square package and attempting to wick or suck that off got me three pins shorted instead. The connections are smaller than the tip of my iron and my finest solder wire so it's proving to be a real bastard. Enough that I'm packing it in for the night and I'll debate if I just want to chuck the board in the morning.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Random Stranger posted:

Just a PS1. Doing it more for soldering practice than anything else (it really is a $1 garage sale pick up) but this chip (the Mayumi 4) requires soldering to some extremely tiny connections for surface mounted components on a tight board. One on a single pin in a square package and two more on those mote of dust sized resistors. I was thinking I'd just bodge in a through hole resistor once I got the board cleaned up but I also shorted two pins on the square package and attempting to wick or suck that off got me three pins shorted instead. The connections are smaller than the tip of my iron and my finest solder wire so it's proving to be a real bastard. Enough that I'm packing it in for the night and I'll debate if I just want to chuck the board in the morning.

Yeah, I've never worked on a PS1, but I've been there. Took a lot of drag-soldering, wicking, and perseverance to clear up the bridged pins. Depends how much your time is worth to you, I suppose.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

If ever Sony made a Dual Shock that had a non-segmented directional pad (and not a licensed third party, either), then the controller would be perfect. And I would probably buy them all. Because gently caress that d-pad forever.

At least its not one of those Xbox circular dpads. I actually kinda like the dual shock dpad

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

FireMrshlBill posted:

At least its not one of those Xbox circular dpads. I actually kinda like the dual shock dpad

More to my point, I really appreciate consistent surfaces with rounded edges. The Xbox Duke was a masterclass on this (since they adapted it from the Sidewinder PC pad). The S wasn't bad so much as unremarkable. The 360 pad was garbagetowne far worse than anything Sony's put out besides PSP's garbage d-pad. The chrome 360 pad with the d-pad you can spin to the classic cross made it the best 360 controller. I've never held an xbone but the d-pad looks extremely my poo poo.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

More to my point, I really appreciate consistent surfaces with rounded edges. The Xbox Duke was a masterclass on this (since they adapted it from the Sidewinder PC pad). The S wasn't bad so much as unremarkable. The 360 pad was garbagetowne far worse than anything Sony's put out besides PSP's garbage d-pad. The chrome 360 pad with the d-pad you can spin to the classic cross made it the best 360 controller. I've never held an xbone but the d-pad looks extremely my poo poo.

The XB1 d-pad reminds me of using a Gamecube d-pad, but if you press on the left or right side of the up portion of the plus, instead of registering up, it will register left or right. Simple menu navigation using its d-pad is annoying as hell. It does this on both of my controllers, so its a design issue.

I always felt like the Xbox and 360 circular d-pads were mushy, in-exact crap. I use a S controller now and haven't used a Duke in probably 12-13 years, but I remember not liking them. I don't have experience with the adjustable 360 d-pad, so I can't comment on it. However, if its mechanics are anything similar to the XB1 controller... then I'd probably fee the same way.

I think the PSP and various DS/2/3/4 d-pads are great. Its hard for it to mis-register your input as with some of the Plus d-pads which can have the same misreads as I discussed about the XB1 controller above, especially if you are in a tense situation and press too hard. That said, I don't think anything beats the original NES d-pad (though I know a lot of people prefer SNES).

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

I've never held an xbone but the d-pad looks extremely my poo poo.

It's microswitched so that tactile clicky response from rolling your thumb around loving owns

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ProjektorBoy posted:

It's microswitched so that tactile clicky response from rolling your thumb around loving owns

microswitched d-pads. :respek:

Also, don't even bring up the PSP's d-pad when its god-awful excuse for an analog stick is barely an inch away from it. Yeeech, what a terrible stick.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
I had that adjustable Xbox 360 dpad controller and I remember it still being nowhere near as good as the standard Dualshock dpad, FWIW. Still far too spongy and inaccurate for anything 2D.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, I like the Sony segmented dpad. It works for me. Then again I also like the Switch segmented dpad, so :iiam:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The 360's D-Pad's intended use was more like a hat switch on a flight stick, not really intended for sustained use as an actual directional controller.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Other d-pads may be worse but I will always hate the 360's the most thanks to it becoming the defacto controller to use on a PC, which I struggled against for years by using a variety of 3rd party controllers, Joy2key, and even a DualShock 2 with an adapter. There was eventually a game that even that setup could not defeat (I want to say it was Ori) and so I finally buckled and it was beyond acceptable. Thankfully DS4Windows has solved that issue once again and I hear the Bone's pad is a lot better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Other d-pads may be worse but I will always hate the 360's the most thanks to it becoming the defacto controller to use on a PC, which I struggled against for years by using a variety of 3rd party controllers, Joy2key, and even a DualShock 2 with an adapter. There was eventually a game that even that setup could not defeat (I want to say it was Ori) and so I finally buckled and it was beyond acceptable. Thankfully DS4Windows has solved that issue once again and I hear the Bone's pad is a lot better anyway.

I'm legit sorry nobody told you to just get a Logitech F310 years ago

• Locked thread