Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

What the hell is "freedom of parental choice?" This Liberal on Lateline has namedropped it twice and I haven't heard of this talking point yet.

Sounds like a thing that would appeal to kids who don't like their parents and want new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

What the hell is "freedom of parental choice?" This Liberal on Lateline has namedropped it twice and I haven't heard of this talking point yet.

I've always heard it in connotation with educational choice. As in, a parent should have the freedom to choose the appropriate education for their child.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

It's just putting "freedom" in front of another word or phrase because the argument is otherwise so poo poo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simmyb posted:

It's just putting "freedom" in front of another word or phrase because the argument is otherwise so poo poo

Yup.

Stop disagreeing with my poo poo and terrible opinion about [blank]. You need to respect my freedom of choice to be an irredeemable fuckwit and how dare you if you don't.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Given the current SSM debate I assume this refers to the right of parents to prevent their children from learning that gays or trans people exist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Safe Schools etc.

The conservatives really want the debate to be about more than just marriage.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Given the current SSM debate I assume this refers to the right of parents to prevent their children from learning that gays or trans people exist.

More likely freedom to teach your kids to discriminate against them because your view is best view. Ironically, something like 80% of people under 40 support SSM, so not even the parents of young school aged kids give a gently caress about it - it's just a bunch of lovely boomers trying to pretend that ship hasn't already sailed and refusing to let gen X/millennials actually carry the torch.

IMO remove voting rights at 60.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

IMO remove voting rights at 60.

I could actually get behind this. Would have to team it up with enforced retirement from parliament at the same age as well. Would suck that you miss out on the bob browns of the world, but also you would miss out on the cathats.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Full Logan's Run now

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Malcolm Turnbull's leaked imitation of Donald Trump, and Bill Shorten's wife and net worth are what voters are most interested in, according to search data from Google Trends.

It shows Australians searching online are consistently more interested in the personal than the politics when it comes to the country's leaders.

And the country's third-biggest political force, the Greens, do not even register; there have not been enough searches for the party's leader Richard Di Natale to generate reliable data.

Google Trends keeps the number of people searching for a particular term top secret, but it does reveal what is most popular and what is experiencing the fastest growth as it goes viral.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Also here is another Brisbane by 2050 drawing done by the City Council

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cartoon posted:

In my industry a bunch of distributors are putting in no selling via Amazon (and other online resellers) clauses into their supply agreements. Interesting times.

We don't give accounts to stores that don't have a brick and mortar outlet, if they are online as well no one cares. A couple of the buying groups got together and forced this policy because online only stores are so much cheaper and would make the existing brick and mortar outlets noncompetitive.

What I think will be the killer is the platform Amazon gives to smaller online retailers who import direct from China and sell essentially the same stuff as we do but at almost wholesale prices. At the distribution level I think the industry will survive albeit in a different form but the old coots at the retail level will be in a lot of strife I suspect.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

bold prediction for people to have gills by 2050 imo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

NPR Journalizard posted:

I could actually get behind this. Would have to team it up with enforced retirement from parliament at the same age as well. Would suck that you miss out on the bob browns of the world, but also you would miss out on the cathats.
Counterpoint - Caleb Bond.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Support for same-sex marriage has crashed ahead of the Turnbull government's postal survey, and only two-thirds of voters are inclined to take part, according to the latest polling from same-sex marriage advocates.

At the start of a two-month campaign, the confidential research provided to Fairfax Media shows support for a "no" vote has risen, as has the number of people who say they don't know how they will vote.

And alarmingly for "yes" campaigners, turnout could be very low, with just 65 per cent of voters rating themselves as very likely to participate – falling to 58 per cent among those aged 18 to 34.

It prompted a concerned campaign veteran to declare: "There is every chance we can slip behind and lose this."

The research was conducted for the Equality Campaign by Newgate Research pollster Jim Reed between August 28 and September 6, with a sample size of 800 and a 3.5 per cent margin of error.

It showed that 58.4 per cent of those surveyed said they would back a "yes" vote, down six percentage points from two weeks earlier, while support for a "no" vote rose two percentage points to 31.4 per cent. The "unsure" vote rose three percentage points to 10.2 per cent.

The tracking polling, which was conducted before the High Court case verdict was handed down, was released to serve as a wake up call to "yes" campaigners who believe victory is assured. Senior figures from the campaign would not speak on the record about the results.

Campaigners point to the 1999 republic campaign, the Brexit vote and the election of US president Donald Trump as evidence "nothing can be taken for granted".

The "no" campaign has successfully portrayed itself as the underdog in the postal survey, based on years of research showing a majority of Australians support same-sex marriage.

Opponents of change will be buoyed by the significant uptick in voters declaring themselves undecided, a sign that attempts to broaden the debate into areas such as the Safe Schools program may be working.

The intensity of the debate has already forced LGBTI organisations to dig deeper. Switchboard Victoria manager Jo Ball said her support service had taken 30 per cent more calls since the survey was first announced, and recruited 16 additional volunteer counsellors, with more coming.

An angry clash between "yes" and "no" supporters outside a Brisbane church on Thursday night, which saw one arrest and one minor injury, prompted government leaders to again call for respectful debate.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said there would always be "isolated cases" of unpleasantness and warned: "You cannot expect your side of the argument to be respected unless you respect the other side of the argument and the people who put it."

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, who is responsible for the postal survey, said it was disappointing that people "take things to extremes" in any political debate.

The major parties will work over the weekend on a bill to ensure normal election safeguards apply to the marriage campaign, including the requirement for material to bear an authorisation.

Labor has pitched for the rules to go further and ban "vile" content, but Senator Cormann appeared to rule that out on Friday, saying: "You don't want to put inappropriate limits on the freedom of political expression."

He was largely backed by the Australian Human Rights Commission, whose representative Ed Santow said people had to take personal responsibility for their conduct in the campaign.

"The law has an important role to play here, but it can only go so far," he told the ABC. He said the government should consider rules limiting speech with "very serious harmful effects", such as incitements to violence.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Counterpoint - Caleb Bond.

Counterpoint - Jason Ball

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

please sign me up as one of the new blade runner units that enforces this

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

please sign me up as one of the new blade runner units that enforces this

I was thinking more like a robocop/ed 209, but your idea works.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
There is never any sausages at council elections. Hence why people don't care about them.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MiniSune posted:

There is never any sausages at council elections. Hence why people don't care about them.

Be the change you want to see in Australia.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How can you be so loving slack and apathetic that you can't be arsed ticking a box and mailing it back gently caress gently caress gently caress

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How can you be so loving slack and apathetic that you can't be arsed ticking a box and mailing it back gently caress gently caress gently caress

More important issues

Does 10km/h make you a speed freak? A crusading politician says it does when you are travelling on a footpath.

The humble mobility scooter spells freedom for the elderly and people with disabilities. But it is also at the centre of an unlikely new battle, with Nationals senator John "Wacka" Williams backing new speed limits for the vehicles. 

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man, if mobility scooters can go 10 km/h I've never seen it. They seem to max out at 1.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lid posted:

More important issues

Does 10km/h make you a speed freak? A crusading politician says it does when you are travelling on a footpath.

The humble mobility scooter spells freedom for the elderly and people with disabilities. But it is also at the centre of an unlikely new battle, with Nationals senator John "Wacka" Williams backing new speed limits for the vehicles. 

Probably depends on whether they are wearing helmets

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Anidav posted:

Carmageddon1.jpg

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Man, if mobility scooters can go 10 km/h I've never seen it. They seem to max out at 1.

This ex con turbo bogan who comes into work knows to use one.

It's only real bad when he's high though, where he legitimately may hurt someone other than himself.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MiniSune posted:

They should post a snag with your ballot paper

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Everyone here seems so passionate about the marriage equality debate.

Is it unusual that I personally couldn't care either way about it? While I don't believe in discrimination based on sexual preferences, I'm not motivated at all to take a side. I wonder how much of the population also feels the same? My preference would have simply been for our elected representatives to sort it out.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Severing posted:

Everyone here seems so passionate about the marriage equality debate.

Is it unusual that I personally couldn't care either way about it? While I don't believe in discrimination based on sexual preferences, I'm not motivated at all to take a side. I wonder how much of the population also feels the same? My preference would have simply been for our elected representatives to sort it out.

If you don't personally give a poo poo, you're honor bound by your common humanity to pick the side that makes your fellow man's life better. Vote yes.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't give a single poo poo whether gay people can marry. I do care that a segment of society is being denied something they want without any good reason at all.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

The whole debate feels like a distraction from more important issues to me. While old Turnbull has everyone whipped up into a frenzy over this the political focus is being turned away from real issues with his government.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For at least a few people here it's an issue of personal relevance.

Severing posted:

I think that a lot of people have similar views, except that a public vote was fairly popular (though I suspect a public vote on <issue X> would poll well).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

menaces!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Severing posted:

The whole debate feels like a distraction from more important issues to me. While old Turnbull has everyone whipped up into a frenzy over this the political focus is being turned away from real issues with his government.

I don't really agree with that reading. The Coalition is deeply split over this; some moderate MPs have threatened to cross the floor to pass SSM, while other conservative MPs would not even countenance a conscience vote. The plebiscite (then postal survey) was initially proposed by the conservatives as a delaying tactic, and Turnbull has been forced to keep it because he relies on the vote of the hard right to keep his leadership.

It is a distraction but it's not one the Coalition want; their poll numbers are poo poo and the clusterfuck around SSM isn't helping turn them around. Labor's pretty much united on the matter and, more importantly, is taking the position people expect and want them too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A pity Labour was complete poo poo about the issue when they actually could do something about it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Severing posted:

how does it feel to be a piece of poo poo?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

"Hum I feel like the fight for equal human rights for all australians is a distraction from the real issues" - Forums Poster Severing, 2k17

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone knows the real issues are just looting more money from the taxpayers and funneling into mates' companies through juicy no-bid no-documentation contracts & deals.

So yes it's unfortunate that the pursuit of equal rights are distracting our government from their rampant, blatant corruption & looting of national wealth. Very unfortunate.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Recoome posted:

how does it feel to be a piece of poo poo?

Calling me that isn't likely to motivate me into caring more about the issue. Rather, it's more likely to motivate me to support the opposite view. This vote isn't a fight for equal human rights, it's by all means a suggestion poll at most. Fighting for equal rights involves actually doing something more than ticking a piece of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Severing posted:

Calling me that isn't likely to motivate me into caring more about the issue. Rather, it's more likely to motivate me to support the opposite view. This vote isn't a fight for equal human rights, it's by all means a suggestion poll at most. Fighting for equal rights involves actually doing something more than ticking a piece of paper.

against the wall

• Locked thread