Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

syscall girl posted:

For a second there I thought you said Days of Thunder and was confuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think Tom Cruise is best when he gets to be what he is: a gay actor.

I think Tom Cruise is poo poo when he gets to be what he wants to be: a straight movie star preaching the good word of L Ron.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When he saw the security tapes of him killing the kids, and palpatine calls him Lord Vader, and later on a Lord Vader shows up in a giant gimp suit with really strong force abilities he kinda puts 2 and 2 together.

He tells Luke about Vader before that so he knew for a while. Which is OK for me, he probably had some contact to the outside world, maybe there's a dingy 50's diner in Mos Eisley where a fat four-armed dude told him about the Empire's robotic Hans Landa and he figured it out there.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

muscles like this! posted:

Obi Wan takes 17 years to give Luke the lightsaber. He definitely wasn't planning on giving it to any kid. He just wanted a free lightsaber. Also, how does Obi Wan know that Anakin turned into Darth Vader, it obviously wasn't something they advertised seeing as Luke didn't know it.

Maybe you'll find out in the Obi Wan movie Disney makes as they run Star Wars into the ground.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not so much a movie thing specifically but I hate when characters try to trick the one character who it has been established is the smartest character in the story, like in series 3 of Gotham with Penguin murdering Nigma's new girlfriend. Nigmas not only a genius, he is a puzzle aficionado with an obsessive streak ten times longer than he is tall. Everything is a riddle to him - he cannot turn it off! Does Oswald really think he won't figure it out? Sure currently he's on the wrong track, but as soon as he spots one little thing off about his theory, it will be revised, and he will find him out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

So, I know it is kind of passe to complain about the Star Wars prequels nowadays but something that just started bugging me recently about the end of Episode 3 is how Obi Wan just kind of leaves Anakin lying there. Like, Anakin was very much still alive and catching on goddamn fire. Obi Wan makes sure to grab the lightsaber and peaces out.

Its dumb, but there's the whole "I can't kill him, he's my friend and I love him" angle, which is why he asks to fight Palpatine instead but Yoda tells him to gently caress off.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, not about the movies specifically but I hate some fan theories out there because they are just so dumb, like stating "Rey must be Obi-Wan's kid, there's just no other solution for this!" because she happened to trick a stormtrooper once.

Despite Qui-Gon Jinn using that power... or Luke Skywalker using that power. Nope! Apparently Obi-Wan is the originator of the Jedi mind trick and therefore only his offspring could use it.

TL;DR Nerds are the worst.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, not about the movies specifically but I hate some fan theories out there because they are just so dumb, like stating "Rey must be Obi-Wan's kid, there's just no other solution for this!" because she happened to trick a stormtrooper once.

Despite Qui-Gon Jinn using that power... or Luke Skywalker using that power. Nope! Apparently Obi-Wan is the originator of the Jedi mind trick and therefore only his offspring could use it.

Or the fact that Jedi are known enough for their mind tricks that Jabba's aware of them and his immunity to them despite the Jedi being gone for 20 years.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its dumb, but there's the whole "I can't kill him, he's my friend and I love him" angle, which is why he asks to fight Palpatine instead but Yoda tells him to gently caress off.

There's no real reason for them to separate. They could have both gone off to murder the Emperor and then go to fight Anakin, or vice versa. It's not like at that point anything was time critical.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That is some flimsy evidence but also making her Obi-Wan's daughter is the kind of dumb poo poo I fully expect. She is definitely the child of somebody important in the tiny Star Wars universe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ultrabindu posted:

There's no real reason for them to separate. They could have both gone off to murder the Emperor and then go to fight Anakin, or vice versa. It's not like at that point anything was time critical.

The rule of cool is practically written into the prequel Jedi code.

Yoda's also an idiot who underestimates Sheev's power of metaphor (he literally throws the Senate at him).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ultrabindu posted:

Yeah, its literally just handwaved, just like how Mace Windu's all "Im going to confront the emperor at night in his office/home with no witnesses and if he doesnt come with I'll try to murder him"

This plan cannot fail or bacmfire! :downs:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, its literally just handwaved, just like how Mace Windu's all "Im going to confront the emperor at night in his office/home with no witnesses and if he doesnt come with I'll try to murder him"

It makes a lot of sense to consider that the Jedi literally have no idea what they're up against with the Sith.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

That is some flimsy evidence but also making her Obi-Wan's daughter is the kind of dumb poo poo I fully expect. She is definitely the child of somebody important in the tiny Star Wars universe.

Thats another dumb thing with film/book series where the writers just can't trust their audience to be accepting of new, non-related characters.

Just make Rey some space orphan and never explain it. It doesn't need explaining! Just like I don't need to know what space company built BB-8. Frankly, I'm surprised no one has gone "Finn is Lando's son who was orphaned on a gas giant and forced into servitude by the Empire and thats why he's not a bad guy."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sure, the Jedi live in a literal ivory tower.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It makes a lot of sense to consider that the Jedi literally have no idea what they're up against with the Sith.

That's also in the novelisation - Yoda expects he can just show up and beat Palpatine in a lightsaber fight because that's how the Jedi beat the Sith the last time, and doesn't realise that the Sith aren't even playing that game any more, much less ignoring its rules.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My personal dumb fan theory is that Rey is another Anakin, born out of the force because Anakin hosed things up so hard the first time that it wanted a do over. Her parents are irrelevant.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just make Rey some space orphan and never explain it. It doesn't need explaining!

It sort of does in the sense that the films have never had someone develop Force powers so quickly, so you're left to wonder how that is. The easiest connection for the viewers to make is that she's inherited those innate powers from her parent(s), who are unknown, thus the intrigue and interest in a revelation of her parents (and thus an explanation).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sand Monster posted:

It sort of does in the sense that the films have never had someone develop Force powers so quickly, so you're left to wonder how that is. The easiest connection for the viewers to make is that she's inherited those innate powers from her parent(s), who are unknown, thus the intrigue and interest in a revelation of her parents (and thus an explanation).

Anakin had super midichlorians and it was explained as a Virgin Birth and I cut myself every time I'm forced to remember that part.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Rey isn't actually a Jedi, everything she does is performed by a tiny Jedi prion that lives in her brain.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anakin had super midichlorians and it was explained as a Virgin Birth and I cut myself every time I'm forced to remember that part.

His mother is very uncomfortable and clearly lying when she says that. Qui Gon doesn't question her further because he's a scumbag but not that much of a scumbag.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He took 3 "witnesses" along with him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sassassin posted:

His mother is very uncomfortable and clearly lying when she says that. Qui Gon doesn't question her further because he's a scumbag but not that much of a scumbag.

He took 3 "witnesses" along with him.

I think you meant to say "Meat Shields"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

In a Goofy Movie, the Nuns from the Open Road sequence also make cameos in the diner where Goofy gives Max the Map, the Powerline concert, and most worryingly the Department store where Goofy works. Each of these locations is in an entirely different state and makes it seem like Max and Goofy are being stalked by a group of nuns.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How in the gently caress would Rey even possibly be Obi-Wan's kid? He was DEAD years before she was even born. She is the same age as Luke was when he met Obi-Wan, and Luke is now Obi-Wan's age. What kind of mental gymnastics would explain Rey being Obi-Wan's kid???

marshmallow creep posted:

My personal dumb fan theory is that Rey is another Anakin, born out of the force because Anakin hosed things up so hard the first time that it wanted a do over. Her parents are irrelevant.

Anakin didn't fail. He brought balance to the Force. There were more Jedi than Sith, and he tipped the scale in the other direction. :v:

Schubalts has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Sep 8, 2017

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
On that same note not everyone has to be related, goddamn pedantic fandorks

Why is the automatic fan theory for literally anything "X is secretly [main character]'s love child/niece/long-lost sister!"? Can't they just be a cool new character?

Wait, I know the answer and it is nerds

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No it's because that's what Lucas did when he made the prequels lol

e: like he literally wanted Han Solo to show up as a cabin boy on a ship at one point

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schubalts posted:

Anakin didn't fail. He brought balance to the Force. There were more Jedi than Sith, and he tipped the scale in the other direction. :v:

I think George Lucas's own explanation is that he didn't bring balance to the Force until he killed Palpatine, because Palpatine - and the dark side more generally - was what had put it out of balance. It's a bit confusing because for many, many years there wasn't any explicit "light side" of the Force in the movies. I'm sure that's probably been in plenty of drafts of the treatments or the scripts but it was never actually referred to in the films (other than Luke saying he had to turn Vader back "to the good side") until Andy Serkis mentions it in The Force Awakens. Before that was mainly an assumption we made as audiences, which was then picked up by the EU who ran with it for about 25 years.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lucas pretty clearly made a lot of poo poo up way after the fact and then tried to claim "ah yeds it's all an epic wonderufl narrative my guys"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe so but I prefer the idea that there isn't a light side and a dark side, there's just the Force and the dark side is the problem. :colbert:

(However, I am prepared to acknowledge the possibility that there is extremism on both sides.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe so but I prefer the idea that there isn't a light side and a dark side, there's just the Force and the dark side is the problem. :colbert:

This interpretation is 100% supported by the films before TFA (and Lucas' statements but Death of the Author who cares about him).

Videogames and the EU confuse people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's because when I was a kid, I had one of those tie-in reference books and the blurb on the back cover said something like "Discover the secrets of the Force and its dark side!" and even though I can't actually remember what the name of the book was, that sentence has stuck with me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Lucas pretty clearly made a lot of poo poo up way after the fact and then tried to claim "ah yeds it's all an epic wonderufl narrative my guys"

If it ends up being an epic wonderful narrative honestly who gives a poo poo? You shouldn't watch the sausage get made. Just chow down.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sassassin posted:

If it ends up being an epic wonderful narrative honestly who gives a poo poo? You shouldn't watch the sausage get made. Just chow down.

What does this even mean? The point I'm making is that Lucas is trying to make it seem like a long planned epic but that falls apart if you think about it even a bit. It's fine to be an epic planned saga or not but it's pretty clearly not and when fans and Lucas try and act like it is it's silly because so much of the prequels make things in the original nonsensical.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

What does this even mean? The point I'm making is that Lucas is trying to make it seem like a long planned epic but that falls apart if you think about it even a bit. It's fine to be an epic planned saga or not but it's pretty clearly not and when fans and Lucas try and act like it is it's silly because so much of the prequels make things in the original nonsensical.

It all fits together really well. Try thinking about it more than "a bit", that might be where you're stumbling.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh man that's pretty insightful and let me just say cool of you to say. Just wanna say thanks. learned a lot here and heck still a lot let to learn!

I watched Arrival recently and I'll have to give it a time and a couple of rewatches but I think it'll end up as one of my favourite films. I thought it had one really weak moment though that stuck out a lot because it was such bad film making in a pretty great film. About halfway through the film there's a timeskip of a couple of months and during that we see a few scenes of characters moving around while one of the main character narrates what happens over that time period. Pretty much at no point in your film should you need to have a character narrate through events like that and it was especially jarring as the first half of the film was so well done. I think they could have bridged the space of time much more seamlessly just by changing a few lines in a couple of conversations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Oh man that's pretty insightful and let me just say cool of you to say. Just wanna say thanks. learned a lot here and heck still a lot let to learn!

As I don't know what your specific issues are with things making the originals "nonsensical" there's not much else I can do.

But don't worry about what Lucas did or didn't have figured out in 1976, or what he claims about all that now. The prequels recontextualise a lot of things from the OT but it all still makes sense in a very simple and straightforward way (that many people hate).

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Schubalts posted:

How in the gently caress would Rey even possibly be Obi-Wan's kid? He was DEAD years before she was even born. She is the same age as Luke was when he met Obi-Wan, and Luke is now Obi-Wan's age. What kind of mental gymnastics would explain Rey being Obi-Wan's kid???

Obi-Wan had some sperm frozen, clearly.

In carbonite, gotta keep the continuity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who else even has a British accent in Star Wars? It's either his grandkid or great niece or whatever, somewhere in his family line.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mu Zeta posted:

Who else even has a British accent in Star Wars? It's either his grandkid or great niece or whatever, somewhere in his family line.

Almost everyone in an imperial navy uniform, the emperor, a bunch more that I can't immediately think of. There, she's the emperors secret kid. Done.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Leia did, sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

marshmallow creep posted:

I usually hate fan theories, but I oddly like this prediction (I refuse to call it a "fan theory") because it's at least interesting.