Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

We should get a LiAngelo GoFundMe ready to go for when the inevitable happens

LaVar has already been slowly trying to hint if bball doesn't work out LiAngelo will become a model. If that happens, I bet he is used in ever BBB ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Lmao, Jabari was close to being in the all-star game last year, that dude is likely gonna get a max contract, assuming he plays well when he comes back in Feb and plays well the rest of the year.

I believe the deadline for his rookie scale contract is October 16th, so it's a little more interesting

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

God, shut up already KD, just accept you're a coward and your opinion is perma-irrelevant and move on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I believe the deadline for his rookie scale contract is October 16th, so it's a little more interesting

The only way the Bucks would give him a deal now while he's hurt is if Jabari was willing to take a decent amount(3-4 mill per year?) less than the max.

Otherwise the Bucks can wait to see how it plays out and let Jabari find his own value, and then decide if they want to pay him that value(it'll be a Max) with as much information as possible.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

http://woelfelspressbox.com/2017/09/parker-contract-extension-talks-commence/

Unsurprisingly, Jabari is shooting for a full rookie max. How nervous would you be if you were a Bucks fan? He seems to be made of paper

Woelfel is a boob first of all. But no way would the Bucks use the 5 year on him. I would either let him sign the 1 year or match any outside teams offer. If he signs the 1 year, you still have Bird rights and you would have a year and half of time to judge.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mr. Mambold posted:

God, shut up already KD, just accept you're a coward and your opinion is perma-irrelevant and move on.

General opinion of KD has turned positive outside this thread. It disgusts me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Away all Goats posted:

Well he did talk poo poo about Trump publicly, that gets anyone some points in my book.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hand Row posted:

Woelfel is a boob first of all. But no way would the Bucks use the 5 year on him. I would either let him sign the 1 year or match any outside teams offer. If he signs the 1 year, you still have Bird rights and you would have a year and half of time to judge.

Well that seems entirely reasonable and drama-free. I don't like it at all

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYwh8-jnM0C/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Oh, Basketball thread

gently caress GarPax

I was reading through tens of thousands of pages of past NBA N/V threads and your prophecy on PJ's hiring and what he'd do with the Knicks was almost perfectly accurate:

" Step 1: get paid.
Step 2: get Lamar Odom paid.
Step 3: get Derek Fisher paid.
Step 4: trade away the Knicks defense.
Step 5: Get Kurt Rambis paid.
Step 6: Get Melo paid.
Step 7: ?
Step 8: Championship Retire back to Montana
"

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yikes, apparently the Bulls can exercise his option and cut him for a cap hit of like 3 million. Which they should probably do for my Bulls Boys's cardiovascular and mental health, even if RD Mangles and Dexo are funny when they're upset

It will be good to see him sliding around the UC on the floor like a penguin in March and April.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spite posted:

The best part about the bill for the parade in oakland is that it went from 300k to 500k to 800k now to 1.2 mil. And now they are adding the cost of the 2015 parade.

And that cash is going to go straight to Mount Davis. Which Oakland still owes like 75mil on.

These owners are so thrifty. The entire parade costed a mere tiny fraction of a morsel of the ticket price for a handful of front row seats at one random playoff game.

Billionaires sitting in the front row wearing fedoras with seersucker suits and monocles and top hats and platinum pocket watches etc. They aren't fooling me.

It's almost an NBA player name like Kobe Tai.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yikes, apparently the Bulls can exercise his option and cut him for a cap hit of like 3 million. Which they should probably do for my Bulls Boys's cardiovascular and mental health, even if RD Mangles and Dexo are funny when they're upset

This might actually be a good thing. He was good his rookie season before the foot injury, then refused to get surgery and opted to go the non-surgical recovery route which I'm pretty sure has worked out for exactly 0 NBA players with that injury and has led to it breaking again twice now if it ever even healed right in the first place (it didn't, it never does, if you get a Jones fracture and won't get surgery you're a loving dumbass)

Realistically he probably will never be good again because he's an undersized point guard of average athleticism but you know, there's a chance now

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There is no Hinkie other than Hinkie.

There was that one despicable guy from the 1980s that tried to sell every single draft pick for decades onward for $$$. He would've been selling draft picks well into the 2000s if the BOG had obliged him.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tanking isn't a big deal imo, I don't want better teams to jump up in the draft and I'm saying that as a Spurs fan.

The Suns shut down their best player (Tyson Chandler) midway through the season. This version of the lottery is clearly regressive.

The best teams getting better is progressive and will elevate to league to new heights rather than having these sad/trash teams send their best players home. Teams figuratively willing to stick their hand down a toilet to find :20bux:.

The Magic getting #1 two straight years and taking Shaq/Webber was also unlikely and untimely for other teams.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Zogo posted:

I was reading through tens of thousands of pages of past NBA N/V threads and your prophecy on PJ's hiring and what he'd do with the Knicks was almost perfectly accurate:

" Step 1: get paid.
Step 2: get Lamar Odom paid.
Step 3: get Derek Fisher paid.
Step 4: trade away the Knicks defense.
Step 5: Get Kurt Rambis paid.
Step 6: Get Melo paid.
Step 7: ?
Step 8: Championship Retire back to Montana
"

It will be good to see him sliding around the UC on the floor like a penguin in March and April.

It should have been obvious to anyone who has ever followed or listened to Phil Jackson and his coaching style

He is a rich man's Doc Rivers. He's a great motivational coach great at managing strong personalities and getting them to buy in, but his motivational/coaching style doesn't work when he's sitting in the high castle making GBS threads on players from above that he himself brought in and paid.

He's also bad at picking and signing veterans

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

His basketball takes are nearly Magic level, I can't wait until he retires and gets a job permanently tweeting gibberish.
that semi jump limbo hippo was dope, as anyone who knows basketball knows, this game is about the buckets

biggest eyeroll vvvvvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 9, 2017

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

Zogo posted:

These owners are so thrifty. The entire parade costed a mere tiny fraction of a morsel of the ticket price for a handful of front row seats at one random playoff game.

Billionaires sitting in the front row wearing fedoras with seersucker suits and monocles and top hats and platinum pocket watches etc. They aren't fooling me.

It's almost an NBA player name like Kobe Tai.

You don't get rich by spending like MC Hammer. It is required to be tight fist about money to be rich.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Well he did talk poo poo about Trump publicly, that gets anyone some points in my book.

it's good but it's about the bare minimum I expect from any super-high-profile NBA player or coach imo

I would put money on no NBA champion team visiting the white house for the next 3 or 7 years

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

A large portion of the population too enjoys smelling farts

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dunking on Trump while good is the lowest of low-hanging fruits and given KD's demonstrable lack of conviction on like every single thing ever I'm skeptical he gives much of a poo poo about Trump

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

isme posted:

You don't get rich by spending like MC Hammer. It is required to be tight fist about money to be rich.

its true, ive been ruined by my hammer pants habit

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mandrel posted:

Dunking on Trump while good is the lowest of low-hanging fruits and given KD's demonstrable lack of conviction on like every single thing ever I'm skeptical he gives much of a poo poo about Trump

oh gently caress off. Like KD is a tryhard, but you really think a loving black dude from DC doesn't have convictions on Trump's racist bullshit?

Like sure joke around and hate KD all you want for where he wants to play basketball, and for being a bit of a lame. but it's fairly offensive imply he doesn't actually care about those policies.

It's like a local radio host here thinking Derrick Rose is too stupid to understand the statement he's making when he's wearing an "I Can't breath" shirt during warmups, as if a dude who grew up in Englewood and to this day will pay for funerals for people in his old neighborhood, doesn't have actual knowledge of what's going on.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I like KD

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
KD is fine. Like, I wish he would have stayed in OKC or went to DC or something because I like lots of contending teams, but he gets to do what he wants and being mad about it is really dumb. You get to sign with whatever team you want in free agency, that's the rule. It's probably not healthy to take it personally.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

KD might have broken competitive balance for a couple of years but he saw an opportunity where he'd be able to maximize his ability and win. Can't fault a guy for using his ability to sign anywhere, it'd be worse if he was forced to stay on some stupid reserve clause or franchise tag

imagine if Twitter was around when Shaq ditched the Magic for the Lakers

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm fine with KD because he never actually got a championship on the Thunder. The real effort he made, all of it came to nothing. He took the easy way out, and whether or not people care about that or remember that, I will. No point even dissing a dude like that (except for his funny tweets!!)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Didn't Shaq leave because the Magic didn't want to pay him?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Here's Duncan's fundraiser for the Virgin Islands which is insanely Tim Duncanish:

quote:

Hey, it’s Tim.

I’m not normally one to speak directly in the media, or write stuff publicly. So I’m a little out of my comfort zone here. I don’t use Twitter. I don’t have a Facebook. Interviews are O.K., I guess, but I prefer when they’re on the shorter side.

But here I am, talking right to you, asking you for a favor. I promise I wouldn’t be asking if it didn’t matter so much. The basketball community has already given so much to me over the years. But right now I need your attention for a couple of minutes.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/tim-duncan-hurricane-irma-us-virgin-islands/

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

should've posted it to Slam Duncan

http://www.slamduncan.com/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here's Duncan's fundraiser for the Virgin Islands which is insanely Tim Duncanish:

Yeah they say most of these are ghost written but this is so obviously written by Timmy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What if autism was a hall of fame center who won five titles.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

What if autism was a hall of fame center who won five titles.
Kobe isn't a center.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Everyone who is fine with kd I hate you

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Metapod posted:

hes a bitch who likes when women fart in his face

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/884518601989906432

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metapod posted:

Fine, fine, I guess I hate KD again. Just for you.
That was easy. Just had to think back to his OKC days.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spoeank posted:

hes a bitch who likes when women fart in his face

Sorry you are so sexually close minded.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Carlosologist posted:

KD might have broken competitive balance for a couple of years but he saw an opportunity where he'd be able to maximize his ability and win. Can't fault a guy for using his ability to sign anywhere, it'd be worse if he was forced to stay on some stupid reserve clause or franchise tag

imagine if Twitter was around when Shaq ditched the Magic for the Lakers

How did Shaq leave after only 4 years? Was RFA not a thing back then?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Zogo posted:

There was that one despicable guy from the 1980s that tried to sell every single draft pick for decades onward for $$$. He would've been selling draft picks well into the 2000s if the BOG had obliged him.

The owner of the Cavs, Ted Stepien. IIRC they instituted the rule after he traded/sold 5 straight years of first rounders.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm fine with KD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

Please read this and then donate if you can. Tim even remembers having a Nintendo and playing Zelda. He has such a simple writing style and very clearly cares. It's refreshing.

• Locked thread