Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Blue Train posted:

Spotify owns and is better than google play music imo. I hardly watch youtube tho so blocking ads on it isn't really a benefit to me

ive tried both and apple music and they can all fulfill my use case equally well

turn it on like once a week for an hour to listen to the same 50 songs on repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vodkat posted:

I paid money to watch Kedi in a cinema and it was a time and money well spent.

:same:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Is kedi pronounced like kitty? It should be

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

poty posted:

ive tried both and apple music and they can all fulfill my use case equally well

turn it on like once a week for an hour to listen to the same 50 songs on repeat

those are pretty short songs!!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Is kedi pronounced like kitty? It should be

it is

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:3:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

fishmech posted:

try just changing your dns next time rather than using a full vpn. itll probably redirect you to better cdn servers and you wont have the loading issues

I thought their whole model moved to disable ISP-level CDNs so what you're really doing is moving around oversaturated peering links between your ISP and whatever regional datacenter is serving content.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my friend pointed me to some wacky DNS server that I punch into my Apple TV and that's apparently enough to avoid geo-blocking for MLB.TV

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jimmy Carter posted:

my friend pointed me to some wacky DNS server that I punch into my Apple TV and that's apparently enough to avoid geo-blocking for MLB.TV

Wish you were geoblocked from posting here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in which google gets bored with drive, looks at the flaming shitheap that is onedrive, and says "hold my beer"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

but this looks dope?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this is basically why no business that does anything important can ever use g suite.

a six month sunset on google drive, so you better hope your use case fits into whichever of the new silos they've created

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in other google is poo poo news: google employees self-report salary, find massive pay disparity between genders

google responds "actually that's not true, that doesn't take into account the fact that we simply don't have women in high paying positions"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
no girls allowed

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

infernal machines posted:

in other google is poo poo news: google employees self-report salary, find massive pay disparity between genders

google responds "actually that's not true, that doesn't take into account the fact that we simply don't have women in high paying positions"

despite being segmented by levels cool

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MeruFM posted:

despite being segmented by levels cool

yeah the article mentions that highly technical roles and non-technical roles can end up on the same level, but the technical ones get a higher pay. So the graph could represent the bad level of diversity in the technical positions rather than outright salary discrimination, not that either of them is actually good news.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

yeah the article mentions that highly technical roles and non-technical roles can end up on the same level, but the technical ones get a higher pay. So the graph could represent the bad level of diversity in the technical positions rather than outright salary discrimination, not that either of them is actually good news.

yeah the same thing is true at amazon. an "L4" is an entry level SDE whereas "L5" is entry level for say a brand manager, I'll leave it up to you to determine who makes 2-3 times as much as the other

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah, a L5 admin and a L5 SWE probably have a 100k delta so if you're just comparing it by level across ladders it's not really a valid thing. The big problem is that women in tech are such a smaller minority they shake out even smaller at high levels, which is not really something they've been coy about as a problem, at least internally.

Imo a lot of tech culture is actually pretty lovely, and people like Damore really aren't that that unusual. lovely culture drives lots of women away even if managers aren't sitting in their offices smoking cigars and yelling "har har har, paw does brawds half price, whadda they gonna do go somewhere else??" like some cartoon villain.

Also there's a huge pay gap geographically. NYC and SF/Bay make absurd multiples compared to my team mates in central Europe.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Also there's a huge pay gap geographically. NYC and SF/Bay make absurd multiples compared to my team mates in central Europe.

tbf cost of living in parts of central europe like berlin is just so much better than the typical tech centers. i was looking at an offer in berlin and someone had to show me receipts and poo poo for me to believe that the salary drop wasn't awful

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FamDav posted:

tbf cost of living in literally anywhere is just so much better than the typical tech centers

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

FamDav posted:

tbf cost of living in parts of central europe like berlin is just so much better than the typical tech centers. i was looking at an offer in berlin and someone had to show me receipts and poo poo for me to believe that the salary drop wasn't awful

Yeah people on my team at same ladder and level in Munich were like 70% of my base in NYC. Then I told them my rent and they were like "ok ok I'm way less mad now."

But it's also an open secret than when you come in the recruiter anchors your comp to ($current_pay * $attractive_multiple) then tries to pass you for the hiring committee at whatever band that is in your target office. So in a sense Google inherits all the lovely bias of society and industry without having to have dirty hands.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

poogle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MononcQc posted:

not that either of them is actually good news.

the joke is that this is actually worse. google has so few women in higher paying technical roles that it massively skews their their pay balance.

damore's whole thesis was that this is cool and good and totally normal, and google just confirmed that that's their view as well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

this is basically why no business that does anything important can ever use g suite.

a six month sunset on google drive, so you better hope your use case fits into whichever of the new silos they've created

As an alternative to or in addition to installing Drive File Stream, you can upgrade to the new version of Drive for Mac/PC, called Backup and Sync.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i know, i'm saying now you have to split your usage of google drive into two silos, and hope your usage of the system can now fit into the new idea they have of how storage should work. in six months.

until the next time they change their minds about how your business should use their service, whenever they get bored with this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just like how onedrive and teamsites use two different systems that are not mutually compatible, and require different implementations of the sync client to function

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jfc google.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

i know, i'm saying now you have to split your usage of google drive into two silos, and hope your usage of the system can now fit into the new idea they have of how storage should work. in six months.

until the next time they change their minds about how your business should use their service, whenever they get bored with this.

or just download the new backup and sync thing and keep doing the exact same thing you were previously because from what i can tell it's exactly the same

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

according to their checklist that doesn't share between users. it looks like they've siloed individual user storage and shared storage in the way MS did between teamsites and onedrive.

idk, maybe it has identical functionality to drive right now and they're just telling everyone to download a new client and transition everything for no reason

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 9, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

according to their checklist that doesn't share between users. it looks like they've siloed individual user storage and shared storage in the way MS did between teamsites and onedrive.

idk, maybe it has identical functionality to drive right now and they're just telling everyone to download a new client and transition everything for no reason

Looks more like the one new thing adds more features and the other is a direct replacement of the current offering more or less.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

backup and sync is more or less the same as drive was except it adds two things

-you can make any folder you want sync to the cloud (didnt the original ms cloud doohickey do this years ago? back when it was skydrive or something?)

-it replaces the standalone desktop applet that auto uploads photos to google photos

anyone who is still on the old drive app is because they went out of their way to stay that way my mac updated it to backup and sync a while ago

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

File Stream or whatever is being pitched more to enterprise customers where you might have 50tb of shared files and storage across the company and you don't want to download and sync all of that for obvious reasons.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Which is fine, but why don't they introduce it as a separate product rather than replace google drive with it and make anyone who isn't interested download some new legacyish program

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the local sync model used by most drive services is dumb and bad. file systems are not designed to support concurrent write access to the same object. iCloud has a partial solution to this with object storage and syncing. it looks like google is going full network file system with probably some kind of concurrency arbitration.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

Which is fine, but why don't they introduce it as a separate product rather than replace google drive with it and make anyone who isn't interested download some new legacyish program

they didn't. they "replaced" google drive's local app with one called backup and sync.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah I just downloaded it and it seems exactly the same as the old drive desktop client except with a settings UI that looks like it wasn't made 15 years ago and a new "continuous backup" option.

So it's more of an upgrade and client rename. I don't know why you'd terrify everyone by saying the old version is deprecated and while simultaneously launching the same thing with a different name. I guess some product person really wanted to underline the difference between the consumer and enterprise feature sets.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

Yeah I just downloaded it and it seems exactly the same as the old drive desktop client except with a settings UI that looks like it wasn't made 15 years ago and a new "continuous backup" option.

So it's more of an upgrade and client rename. I don't know why you'd terrify everyone by saying the old version is deprecated and while simultaneously launching the same thing with a different name. I guess some product person really wanted to underline the difference between the consumer and enterprise feature sets.

im not generally seeing people online "terrified" by it and the message is pretty clear "if you don't really want things to change, select backup and sync"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

does backup and sync let you share files between people on your gsuite domain? i'm pretty sure drive did

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

does backup and sync let you share files between people on your gsuite domain? i'm pretty sure drive did

that was Team Drives which was a separate thing from the plain Google Drive "my drive". it's in the file stream thing which simplifies handling that.

there was also doing the simpler sharing some files with the public thing that you can do on any kind of google drive, which is still supported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

• Locked thread