Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, Dr. Ver is *checks notes* still dead. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also for those that are not aware episode 9's subs are out.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Marathoning my way through the franchise. Made it to GX. I was not prepared for beef stroganoff.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Sandman posted:

Marathoning my way through the franchise. Made it to GX. I was not prepared for beef stroganoff.

boys don't know this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beef stroganoff is the pinnacle of human achievement

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

beef stroganoff is the pinnacle of human achievement

One half of me says it's this, the other half says it's "K2 adjusted to world's third-largest mountain"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I marathoned it myself. GX was the weakest and could have easily been made longer if they wanted to do major character arcs. Though if the writers thought it would be the last season, I don't blame them for trying to resolve that. AXZ feels stronger so far.

That said, the tone and plot, especially in S1 and S2, reminded me a lot of, funny enough, Evangelion, just inverted in terms of tone. Enemy only specially equipped teens can defeat? Check. Horrible backgrounds for each one of teenagers? Check. Shadowy government organization of questionable legality? Check. Synch ratios (sort of)? Check.

Only one thing, Hibiki can't be brought down emotionally for more than 5 seconds, Genjuro is a loving boss and the cool dad of everyone, and while it's dark at times, there's still hope and kickass moments. It's "YES WE CAN DO THIS WOOO" vs "Oh gently caress, we're barely holding on".

The one thing I'm sort of... I dunno, disappointed about? While yes, the whole "OH gently caress HIBIKI IS FUSING WITH HER GEAR" arc was resolved in a good way, I'm going to be forever curious as to what would happen if it went all the way. Oh well.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My favorite bit about Genjuuro is that he always loosens his tie before he gets into a fight.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 7, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
My favorite bit about Genjuurou is that it's pretty obvious the Noise only exist to keep him from soloing the villains.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My favorite thing about Genjuuro is that he is both a massive badass and an enthusiastic and relentlessly supportive teacher and family to the Gears.

Hibiki riding the big scary elevator miles down to a shady underground government lair, only for Genjuuro to greet her with a surprise party and a big goofy grin is just a wonderful establishing character moment.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 7, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

iospace posted:

The one thing I'm sort of... I dunno, disappointed about? While yes, the whole "OH gently caress HIBIKI IS FUSING WITH HER GEAR" arc was resolved in a good way, I'm going to be forever curious as to what would happen if it went all the way. Oh well.

Hibiki almost assuredly would have died if it progressed any farther.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kanos posted:

Hibiki almost assuredly would have died if it progressed any farther.

I figured, but I'm curious what would the end result be if she didn't.

It did give us Grand Theft Symphogear, which was cool and good though!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The biggest disappointment of G is obviously Hibiki simply growing her arm back after it gets bitten off instead of having to get a badass robot prosthetic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

The biggest disappointment of G is obviously Hibiki simply growing her arm back after it gets bitten off instead of having to get a badass robot prosthetic.

yeah i wanted her to go full punished snake

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

yeah i wanted her to go full punished snake

If she did that it would drive Kirika to the edge of madness trying to be more Xtreme. We should be thankful it stopped there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kirika isn't really that Xtreme.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eela6 posted:

One half of me says it's this, the other half says it's "K2 adjusted to world's third-largest mountain"
The third best part of GX is the wacky scythe tank thing Kirika and Shirabe fuse into near the end.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kirika isn't really that Xtreme.

In our timeline, sure. But no one's tried to out-accessorize her!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, real talk, I was skeptical of the whole premise ("singing magical girls"), but I do have to give them credit, it was executed very very well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caught up on the last two episodes. Ep 8 was good and I liked it a lot. Ep 9 I didn't like as much; the subject matter was fine, but I really hated the fight because the Gears were fighting someone who was pretty clearly attempting to run away/yelling vital information at them and their response wasn't to try to beat up/disable the bad guy, it was to go whole hog and loving kill them, without commenting or trying to follow up on the weird/suspicious things said villain was yelling during the fight that should make them go "Huh, what do you mean sacrifices?".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
hibiki would have resolved it properly, but hibiki wasnt there shirabe was too up her own rear end with problems

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
That's the Curse of Balal for you I guess :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah should note that it was only really Hibiki that cared about talking with and understanding the villains.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always appreciated that. "Hold on a sec, can we first make sure you need to try to destroy the world and I need to punch you?"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Sindai posted:

I always appreciated that. "Hold on a sec, can we first make sure you need to try to destroy the world and I need to punch you?"

well it hasn't really let her down so far

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so I was thinking

This is entirely according to Adam's plan. He's not planning on using one of Saint Germain's supporters... he's planning on using her. Why bother with two alchemists who are powerful, sure, when you have an even more powerful one at your disposal. So he tells Germain that he wants to use Cagliostro or Prelati, which results in the trio creating a plan to grab the soul of a gear in one of their places. Given their involvement with Carol's plot, they know that the Gears can be upgraded, and thus only a matter of time before they figure out a counter to the Stones. So, the end result is this:

1. The "lesser two" of the three alchemists are eliminated
2. Oh look, there is still a need for either a large number of souls or one very powerful one.
3. Hey, Saint Germain, your soul is mine.
4. Now no one can oppose Adam at all.

tl;dr: eliminate the chaff, then use Germain like Carol did Ver.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Lessail posted:

well it hasn't really let her down so far

Yeah, it's always shown as the right thing to do, if naive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also apparently the show is doing super well in amazon preorders and such - actually, it's doing the best of any show this season, beating out both fate/apocrypha and owarimonogatari. of course, fate/apocrypha is probably driving revenue for fate/grand order, far more than axz is for xdu, but still. Besides, Symph has character CDs.

Which leads me to think that the reason it didn't get picked up is because they wanted a lot of money for it, saw it as a fairly big property, which it just kind of isn't in the west.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

fairly big property, which it just kind of isn't in the west.

I have found that if you try and explain Symphogear, even to people who are anime fans, it sounds like a fever dream of every single uncool thing about anime. Which, to be fair, it is; it's also fantastic.

Who wore it better?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eela6 posted:

I have found that if you try and explain Symphogear, even to people who are anime fans, it sounds like a fever dream of every single uncool thing about anime. Which, to be fair, it is; it's also fantastic.

Who wore it better?

Part one: yeah, it was a very, "uhh... what the hell?" sort of thing when I heard of it, but it's one of those "the execution is actually pretty good" shows.

Or, as the guy who got me into it put it:

Part two: yes.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 8, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Who wore it better?

Shirabe looks way better in Kirika's clothes than the other way around. It's not even close.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's just because Kirika has excellent taste.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

iospace posted:

Part one: yeah, it was a very, "uhh... what the hell?" sort of thing when I heard of it, but it's one of those "the execution is actually pretty good" shows.

If there are people out there who think Magical Girls but with the Power of Rock doesn't sound like an extremely good and fun show then I don't know what to say. It's just a really good concept.

Endorph posted:

also apparently the show is doing super well in amazon preorders and such - actually, it's doing the best of any show this season, beating out both fate/apocrypha and owarimonogatari. of course, fate/apocrypha is probably driving revenue for fate/grand order, far more than axz is for xdu, but still. Besides, Symph has character CDs.

Which leads me to think that the reason it didn't get picked up is because they wanted a lot of money for it, saw it as a fairly big property, which it just kind of isn't in the west.

I'm glad it's doing well. I don't really know much about amazon preorder numbers or anything but isn't it pretty crazy to be selling more than Fate? Though now that I think about it Fate might get its sales through other ways instead. Also it should be a big property in the West, I only got into it recently myself but the same goes for most anime honestly, i'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger fanbase from when the previous seasons were airing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I mean I'm a sucker for "music is the shared language of mankind" stuff so that's why I was drawn in

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If there are people out there who think Magical Girls but with the Power of Rock doesn't sound like an extremely good and fun show then I don't know what to say. It's just a really good concept.

Yeah, it sounded like a rockin good time when I first heard of it. When I heard Synchrogazer in the first episode and realized what style of music they're going for (or more specifically the first season OP, with its electronic production stylings) it clicked, and the earnest drama and commitment to yuri sealed the deal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Though now that I think about it Fate might get its sales through other ways instead. Also it should be a big property in the West, I only got into it recently myself but the same goes for most anime honestly, i'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger fanbase from when the previous seasons were airing.
Well, all Fate blu-rays are super overpriced, and Apocrypha isn't nearly as well-regarded an entry in the franchise as Zero or the original VN. So put those two things together and it outselling Fate isn't that surprising, though it's still a sign of being a pretty big success.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah should note that it was only really Hibiki that cared about talking with and understanding the villains.

I don't know, I put a line between Hibiki's brand of "I want to save everyone, even Hitler, no matter what" and "This alchemist isn't really fighting us like before, is apparently trying to get somewhere in a hurry, and is saying some strange things; maybe we should make an attempt to detain her to get more information about these villains we don't really know enough about". It just seemed odd that nobody acknowledged that Prelati was acting weird compared to the previous times they fought her.

The Cagliostro episode made more sense to me because Cags was acting pretty much identical to every other time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should have had prelati actually bumping cars off the road or something instead of just saying she's a danger to people because ???. that way it'd make sense why tsubasa and shirabe would jump straight to trying to stop her no matter what. really weird bit of writing there, like the animators and writers weren't on the same page, or the animators didn't have time to put in some bits of prelati destroying stuff.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

they should have had prelati actually bumping cars off the road or something instead of just saying she's a danger to people because ???. that way it'd make sense why tsubasa and shirabe would jump straight to trying to stop her no matter what. really weird bit of writing there, like the animators and writers weren't on the same page, or the animators didn't have time to put in some bits of prelati destroying stuff.

I think Tsubasa & Shirabe are on the same page: Mankind's universal language is violence. :killing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

• Locked thread