Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I had a tedious summer job in 2011 and went looking for podcast recommendations to fill the time. MBMBAM came up a lot so I checked it out and blew through their archive in that summer, listening ever since.

The only aspect of their success that bums me out is their increased audience meaning a higher number of vocal poo poo stirrers causing stuff like the brothers quitting the Facebook group and the outcry about Taako's skin color or whatever in the comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I will say that when they started adding music it felt like the show upped its game quite a bit. Wonderland Round 3 is good as heck.

Also while I can't bring many examples to mind off the top of my head, there's something in their turns of phrase and mannerisms that's quite infectious. Calling everyone some variant of boy, for example (soft, dry, flesh, as you will it).

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Dolash posted:

Man I went looking and there's like a ton of fan art for The Adventure Zone. I hadn't really heard of the McElroys before this apart from being pointed at Car Boys early in the summer but these guys really have a lot going on. I guess the "family podcasting empire" in the title was a hint, huh? I'm almost surprised I managed to miss this thing for three whole years, it feels like there's a lot of fanbase crossover with other stuff I like.

I kinda want to ask what it's been like for you guys who've been following along for years. How'd you find out about the show? Did it have a big following from the jump or did it get big sometime recently? I peeped that OP and followed up to Polygon and dang these guys actually have a whole bunch of different content, that's pretty impressive.

i read justin on joystiq or whatever site he used to write for and now i am here

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Dolash posted:

Calling everyone some variant of boy, for example (soft, dry, flesh, as you will it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYZl_YOMg7E

And then there's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUuSf7eTDFQ

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bless you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's odd how often I've found McElroyisms slipping into my daily lexicon. I'm not even trying, it just happens.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Been listening to dat Bimbam since like ep 20 or 30 or some poo poo. Like I didn't even have a smart phone, I was using an iPod mini or my wife's old rear end iPhone.

drat man, I'm old

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

And griffin was still using the mic from rock band

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Hard to remember exactly but I think got into MBMBaM via Judge John Hodgman. Maybe around the hundred episode mark?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I found out about MBMBaM when Justin was a guest on Desert Bus in like 2011, didn't listen to it because I was a 16 year old who thought that podcasts were lame, then mostly forgot about it until last year when people started freaking out about Monster Factory and then I started listening to all the podcasts.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I was watching streams of XCom 2 last year when it released, then moved to fallout 4 playthroughs, then monster factory caught my eye. I dove in full stop and haven't stopped consuming McElroy (and adjacent) content since.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know people who like MBMBaM, but I didn't get into the McElroys until Film Crit Hulk wrote that article on Birth.Movies.Death talking about how great Monster Factory was. Thought the Fallout ones were real good, then the Spore ones really caught my attention, then went back and discovered "just like bart!!" and I was completely sold.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

When I was a kid, me and my family took a vacation to Disney World. We had a reservation at that Beauty and the Beast resturaunt, but I felt a bit sick so I stayed behind in the hotel room with my brother's iPad. However, soon I found that I was feeling better and wanted to join my family. They told me how to use the bus system to get where they were. It was the first time I ever did something like that by myself, so I was a bit nervous. On the hunt for something to distract me and calm my nerves, I checked my brother's podcast app, and clicked the latest episode of the first podcast on the list.

It was episode 132, iJolene. Pretty soon I had forgotten all about the bad vibes and I was doubled over laughing about Casper the Very Friendly, but Extremely Conservative Ghost. I don't remember much else about that trip, but I remember the brothers coming through for me when I needed a pick me up, as they have continued to do ever since.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I was looking at Dark Souls 2 speedruns on youtube and there was a blue strange man staring at me from the recommendations... I found MBMBAM while looking for monster factory fanart. Travis' very existence was a shock, I mean, a secret third brother???

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ariong posted:

When I was a kid, me and my family took a vacation to Disney World. We had a reservation at that Beauty and the Beast resturaunt, but I felt a bit sick so I stayed behind in the hotel room with my brother's iPad. However, soon I found that I was feeling better and wanted to join my family. They told me how to use the bus system to get where they were. It was the first time I ever did something like that by myself, so I was a bit nervous. On the hunt for something to distract me and calm my nerves, I checked my brother's podcast app, and clicked the latest episode of the first podcast on the list.

It was episode 132, iJolene. Pretty soon I had forgotten all about the bad vibes and I was doubled over laughing about Casper the Very Friendly, but Extremely Conservative Ghost. I don't remember much else about that trip, but I remember the brothers coming through for me when I needed a pick me up, as they have continued to do ever since.

When you were a kid?? That episode was four years ago, your account was a year old already :psyduck:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's always Jack Disease

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Raserys posted:

When you were a kid?? That episode was four years ago, your account was a year old already :psyduck:

I'm guessing 17 years old

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

Okay, teen would probably be more accurate. And they say these forums don't get new members anymore.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm guessing 17 years old

14 then, 19 now. Hobbies include listening to podcasts and making other people feel old.

Sorry if this got weird, I just wanted to share that memory since we were talking about how we found the show and that was a happy moment for me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I thought of something else that disappointed me a little about the latest TAZ. I wish they had gotten to spend a little time acting out high school versions of their characters, rather than immediately realizing that it is all a dream.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 9, 2017

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I started listening to Adventure Zone just over a year ago after a recommendation in TVIV's Community thread talking about the fall of DnD on Harmontown. Took me a few days to get around to it, but got real into it on my daily commute. Went to MBMBAM after I caught up, and a year later, a disturbing amount of my media consumption is all McElroy.

The weird thing is, I had watched the Mass Effect Monster Factory, listened to the Modeland eps of Satellite Dish, and a couple eps of Sawbones at random times before that without ever putting together they were all connected by Justin.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Motherfucker, Facebook straight up showed me a pic of my college spring break trip and were all like "lol this was 11 years ago today, you oldasswrinklebitch"

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I learned of the mcelroys through the giant bomb e3 streams through the Sherlock Holmes saga.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaayrkqhdA

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Gonna repost about this since it never comes up and I think it was really funny.

Losing the Sheen was a short lived Justin and Sydnee podcast where they started watching Two and a Half Men for the first time. They start from the first episode without Charlie Sheen, with absolutely no context of what the show was like before he left, except that I guess the Smirl family told them it was the funniest thing on TV. It paints a grim picture of an incredibly mean-spirited sitcom where sad-sack John Cryer is the most hated man on earth and mostly deserves it, Ashton Kutcher is a billionaire piece of poo poo who can't stop creepily pining over his ex, and the halfman only shows up once because he jumped off the poo poo-barge to get into Christian fundamentalism. I think Charlie Sheen's lesbian daughter takes his place?

I've only seen episodes of the show here and there randomly, and I assumed it was just a dumb inoffensive sitcom. And heck, maybe it was before Charlie Sheen upset Chuck Lorre or whatever, but as of the starting point of this podcast, the show is relentless. There's a continuing barrage of gently caress you's to IRL Charlie Sheen written into the goddamn bones of this show, its genuinely amazing how petty it all feels. Justin and Sydnee don't even make it very far, because aside from one or two jokes an episode, its also hugely unfunny. They did do a special followup episode (A maxfun Sawbones bonus maybe?) where they watch the finale live and comment on it, so there's some closure to it all if you care about that.

Anyway, podcast is only nine eps (plus the bonus) and should be required listening for McElroy Thread posters. You don't need any prior knowledge, and you definitely don't need to watch the show.

Except for the last episode, watch that along with the McElroy's. It is so loving stupid, you need to see it to believe it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Oh and they recreate the acapella theme song.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like the live show is the second time Griffin has severely overestimated the reception of a Friday Night Lights joke.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like the live show is the second time Griffin has severely overestimated the reception of a Friday Night Lights joke.

Which is doubly funny because earlier he correctly recognized that it was not a college football audience when someone tried to make a longhorns reference.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
They once said that "blue eyes, white dragon, can't lose" is a joke where the intersection of people who get both references are McElroy fans. I'm pretty sure the actual intersection is just the McElroy family.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
That isn't even an intersection though. It's just two semi-renown memes mashed together. I've never played Yugioh or watched a single minute of FNL, but I know that joke because I'm a huge idiot that loves dumb memes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

creationist believer posted:

They once said that "blue eyes, white dragon, can't lose" is a joke where the intersection of people who get both references are McElroy fans. I'm pretty sure the actual intersection is just the McElroy family.

I'm glad that I'm a member of the McElroy family now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I keep pronouncing it mic-EL-roy in my head even though I've heard them pronounce it "Mackelroy" like a hundred times.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
my wife does it when she says it out loud and i want to die every time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dolash posted:

I keep pronouncing it mic-EL-roy in my head even though I've heard them pronounce it "Mackelroy" like a hundred times.

Maybe they should McEl-less.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Mickey-boys

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Macklemore brothers.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Well I got into the McElroys when I moved out of my mom's house in 2014 and got my first smartphone. I had already been a fan of Welcome to Night Vale (it was super big on tumblr at the time) and I wanted to get into more podcasts. I think I first heard of MBMBAM either through someone on here or Pop Culture Happy Hour. (I was new to podcasts and didn't know any so I just subscribed to some of the top ones on itunes)

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm glad that I'm a member of the McElroy family now.

Same. I was at that live show, and I'm pretty sure Griffin was banking on more Austin locals to pick up on it, since it was mostly filmed in the area.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Propaganda Hour posted:

That isn't even an intersection though. It's just two semi-renown memes mashed together. I've never played Yugioh or watched a single minute of FNL, but I know that joke because I'm a huge idiot that loves dumb memes.

Renowned. If something is of a certain amount of renown, it is renowned

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jim the Nickel posted:

Same. I was at that live show, and I'm pretty sure Griffin was banking on more Austin locals to pick up on it, since it was mostly filmed in the area.

Filmed indoors at my high school! Billy Bob Thornton was poking fun of my friends when they were cast as extras, because they were TOO EIGHTIES and had to change their wardrobe.

They basically dressed like how a high schooler thought the eighties looked like, regardless of the locale, time if year, or the part of the decade. Not everyone dressed like Flash Dance or the Cure.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ojjeorago posted:

The Macklemore brothers.

Now I am wishing the McElroys were performing the NRL Grand final this year

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there another thread for the other Max Fun podcasts or am I allowed to bring them up here? I'm curious if Oh No Ross and Carrie is any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

YggiDee posted:

Is there another thread for the other Max Fun podcasts or am I allowed to bring them up here? I'm curious if Oh No Ross and Carrie is any good.

There isn't. You are. It is.

The early episodes can be pretty hit or miss before they really find their rhythm (if they deleted the Sikh one it would only improve their archives) so I'd recommend starting with the most recent ones and working your way back. It's also the only conspiracy/fringe podcast where the hosts aren't a bunch of idiots who instantly believe every dumb idea they hear so it's miles better than anything that could be considered a competitor.

Also Ross is a big fan of Sawbones so now this is about McElroy content.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 10, 2017