Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope the missile Ellyrian Reavers get to use both spears and bows, like Lothern Seaguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Just watched the HE campaign video. That influence mechanic is evil.

Also, there's some hilarious karmic justice in the High Elves loving over Malekith with a false-flag operation. :v:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Reloaded my Norsca save file to about turn 50 and things have been going much better. I am only now working on creating a fourth stack and with a war coffer of about 170k I have more then enough reserves. Out of curiosity is it possible to have multiple ranks in different gods? I am aiming for the wolf but the idea of snagging the tier 1 snake so that I can keep my upkeep costs down is very appealing.

You can maintain two ranks in two separate gods indefinitely.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

But you shouldn't because having an entire battery of hellcannons is hilarious and you should rush to get that as soon as possible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chaos is allllll about fielding hellcannons, protecting those hellcannons, and ensuring the hellcannons can do their work.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

One hellcannon can do the work of 5 if you are manually firing it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So imagine what a unit of 3 or whatever size you're on can do when you're manually firing them :getin:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am already looking forward to an army full of nothing but these guys

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

image dump from http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/07/warhammer-total-war-2-high-elf-showcase.html

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is it just me or are those stat lines rather...unimpressive. They are even buffed by something in those shots. Especially in comparison to the dark elf unit statline from the Malekith battle. The attack is definitely buffed by something, possibly a new effect to martial prowess, but the unbuffed stats are 36 melee attack, 42 defense with prowess up. Pretty pitiful. Executioners meanwhile rock 115 armor, 36/36 atk/def, which is lower at the start but once the swordmasters lose prowess they will have more, and 4 more weapon damage. Black Guard have 115 armor, 36/46 atk/def, and 9 more damage over Phoenix guard. In this case, well they are just a straight upgrade over Phoenix Guard in every conceivable way. Do CA over power factions in a preview build? Because otherwise :psyduck:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

For some reason we haven't seen anything White Lion related in all the HE promotional stuff? They were the original anti-large HE on the tabletop, I wonder what they are doing with them.

Those HE images are older than the DE stuff I think, will probably be rebalanced.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That and dark elves / high elves are balanced by that in combat kill / something ability. It should be some sort of stat buff but I don't recall if we have the actual information for both.

Heroic or killing intent.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Third World Reggin posted:

That and dark elves / high elves are balanced by that in combat kill / something ability. It should be some sort of stat buff but I don't recall if we have the actual information for both.

Heroic or killing intent.

Sure, but I mean, even with the HE racial buff active, I'd say the dark elf roster is just flat out superior, ignoring their triggerable super mode. I don't know why executioners and black guard are more heavily armored than their counterparts either.

Southpaugh posted:

For some reason we haven't seen anything White Lion related in all the HE promotional stuff? They were the original anti-large HE on the tabletop, I wonder what they are doing with them.

Those HE images are older than the DE stuff I think, will probably be rebalanced.

Really hope those are old and they have been rebalanced. I was alarmed about this when we first got a look at some unit stats back then and I just assumed those were caps from the gameplay segment shown recently.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Aren't all of these pics from campaign mode? The High Elf general might just not have any red-path skills or the Dark Elves had theirs maxed out.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Eimi posted:

Is it just me or are those stat lines rather...unimpressive. They are even buffed by something in those shots. Especially in comparison to the dark elf unit statline from the Malekith battle. The attack is definitely buffed by something, possibly a new effect to martial prowess, but the unbuffed stats are 36 melee attack, 42 defense with prowess up. Pretty pitiful. Executioners meanwhile rock 115 armor, 36/36 atk/def, which is lower at the start but once the swordmasters lose prowess they will have more, and 4 more weapon damage. Black Guard have 115 armor, 36/46 atk/def, and 9 more damage over Phoenix guard. In this case, well they are just a straight upgrade over Phoenix Guard in every conceivable way. Do CA over power factions in a preview build? Because otherwise :psyduck:

Those are pretty old stat cards from a couple months ago and High Elves basically seem to have better stats in each new build but yeah it's a point of concern.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wood Elves basic stats are garbage too so I'm not worried about it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I'm sure it will be fine in the campaign and in multiplayer so is the unit cost probably the single most important stat anyway.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I can't really see how having spear men with shields and bows as a front line unit would do anything but make me laugh

like ok now everything has to bring shields or I am just gonna pull poo poo out and shoot at you

and then having decent cav on top of that is just gonna be cheesy as hell

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJNZjfxWsAAD4W7.jpg:large

CA put this up last night for some reason.

Morathi looking pretty good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
High Elves are potentially balanced vs dark elves by better magic.

Edit: ^^^ I guess this confirms that they are going with slaneeshi Morathi vs whatever they retconned it into.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 9, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

Well it depends on what those special abilities at the bottom are. Phoenix Guard were arguably the strongest infantry in the TT, not because of their statline, but because they had an incredible 4+ ward save. If they port that over directly it'd be the equivalent of giving them 50% physical and magic resist.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone got any impressions about CeltiK's AI mod? I like most of SFO's changes, but the AI being extremely cagey and the Grey Mountains Dwarf factions being annoyingly passive are still problems. I have an Empire game at turn 130, and even with me going out of my way to purge the Wood Elves completely (because gently caress elves), the three remaining Dwarf factions refuse to recolonize the ruins of Karak Norn nor actually send armies to fight against the Badlands Greenskins that I'm spending way too much fighting. This is despite the fact that I'm only fighting the Greenskins in the first place because they're coming over to kill the Grey Mountains Dwarfs.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

Wood Elves basic stats are garbage too so I'm not worried about it.

On paper sure but if you look at the KDR versus equally priced units wood elves are amazing not to mention having the best archers and AoE damage spell in the game.

If you think the new races will be anything less than better than everything else you don't know how CA does monetization. DLC/expansion content is always better in actual multiplayer matches than previous content. Otherwise people don't buy them except the small groups of people who are fans of the lore for that race. Observing the WE spam in multiplayer quick match is clear evidence. There's a reason CA doesn't post win/loss ratios per race because you'd see Norsca/BM/WE/Chaos pooping all over everything else. Empire is only viable with G+G units.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 9, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

puberty worked me over posted:

On paper sure but if you look at the KDR versus equally priced units wood elves are amazing not to mention having the best archers and AoE damage spell in the game.

If you think the new races will be anything less than better than everything else you don't know how CA does monetization. DLC/expansion content is always better in actual multiplayer matches than previous content. Otherwise people don't buy them except the small groups of people who are fans of the lore for that race. Observing the WE spam in multiplayer quick match is clear evidence. There's a reason CA doesn't post win/loss ratios per race because you'd see Norsca/BM/WE/Chaos pooping all over everything else. Empire is only viable with G+G units.

Empire, greenskins, and vampire counts are all in the top tier of multiplayer. The gently caress are you talking about?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

puberty worked me over posted:

Chaos is really strong right now after the regiments of renown, but up to a month ago it was widely considered to be the second weakest faction in MP, even on release when they were the new bonus thing, and neither Beastmen or Wood Elves have ever been considered top factions, in fact BM were considered pretty weak until Morghur was released with the WE update, but I would agree Norsca is pretty drat strong right now, specially because they have the right roster to hardcounter Vampires, who used to be a dominant faction. Mammoths completely poo poo all over Dwarfs, but Dwarfs are terrible in MP anyway. All that to say that the top tier MP factions are still considered to be Empire, Greenskins and possibly Bretonnia or Vampires.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I know beastmen aren't very good but they're the only faction I win with in MP for some reason

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Why are greenskins in the top tier?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

verbal enema posted:

They're a very versatile faction with a few tricks up their sleeve, same as empire

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
What're people's thoughts on the beastmen grand campaign? Fun or not?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJNZjfhXUAEmVtL.jpg:large

Malekith Skill Chart.

quote:

What're people's thoughts on the beastmen grand campaign? Fun or not?

Beastmen are tons of fun. You get to play a stealthy ambush based horde that's unlike any other race in the game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The Beastmen specific campaign was pretty fun, the map was setup for you to use their beastpath/underway stance to avoid enemy armies and burn their undefended settlements and escape again, with careful planning never to be pinned down. I think I only fought one battle the whole game I didnt initiate myself.

I enjoyed them as a horde faction more than the Chaos run I'm doing now but that may be because I first started off with Archaon (a chump) instead of Kholek (a good dog).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

verbal enema posted:

Yeah, versatiliy in MP is really important. Both Empire and Greenskins have wide rosters and many different viable compositions to go with and counters for almost everything, so their builds are the least predictable and thus more difficult to hardcounter. Also Empire has access to almost all lores of magic and the ones Greenskins get (Death, Little and Big Waaagh) are excellent too, and magic is a huge force multiplier when used well.

Like, Dwarfs aren't weak per se, but they are always going to field a bunch of heavy infantry, a firing line plus some warmachines because that's all they have, at most they can alter the proportion and flavour of which and if they want maneuver their only option are Gyrocopters, who are not really that strong. So as long as you have an army with units that can walk over an infantry line and hurt their shooters (big monsters, flyers, summons, chariots, shock cavalry, etc) and armor piercing damage dealers you can dunk on them. It is less Dwarfs being weak and more them being very predictable in comparison to every other army.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fangz posted:

High Elves are potentially balanced vs dark elves by better magic.

Edit: ^^^ I guess this confirms that they are going with slaneeshi Morathi vs whatever they retconned it into.

Nah, they never retconned that away, only thing that changed is how blatantly obvious she was about it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
One thing that still throws me off about dwarfs is that cannons are kind of garbage at killing things like giants, as opposed to just a horde of crossbows or guns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cannons are always kind of useless though. Infantry can at least reposition and hit their targets more reliably. Even on the approach, I'd rather have a unit of handguns than a cannon.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, versatiliy in MP is really important. Both Empire and Greenskins have wide rosters and many different viable compositions to go with and counters for almost everything, so their builds are the least predictable and thus more difficult to hardcounter. Also Empire has access to almost all lores of magic and the ones Greenskins get (Death, Little and Big Waaagh) are excellent too, and magic is a huge force multiplier when used well.

Like, Dwarfs aren't weak per se, but they are always going to field a bunch of heavy infantry, a firing line plus some warmachines because that's all they have, at most they can alter the proportion and flavour of which and if they want maneuver their only option are Gyrocopters, who are not really that strong. So as long as you have an army with units that can walk over an infantry line and hurt their shooters (big monsters, flyers, summons, chariots, shock cavalry, etc) and armor piercing damage dealers you can dunk on them. It is less Dwarfs being weak and more them being very predictable in comparison to every other army.

No dwarfs are pretty awful

They get completely molested by cycle charging and chariots, slayers are like ultra expensive spearmen that can't fight against normal infantry or deal with any arrow pressure, their specialty isn't that good and can be nullified by the map (artillery), they have a bunch of really awful gimmick units like irondrakes and flame cannons, and their other strength (missile units) are too easly trivialized by summons and cav.

Adjusting their mass would probably go a long way to fixing them without any other balance changes. But suffice it to say armor really isn't as good as you'd think in this game and they don't have enough strengths to counter their huge holes (no cav no magic)

edit: one thing I wish CA would do is just see about improving certain garbage things in the game - flame cannons and irondrakes have been rear end for ever, most missile cav is complete rear end. They fixed chariots which was good

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 9, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

I can't really see how having spear men with shields and bows as a front line unit would do anything but make me laugh

like ok now everything has to bring shields or I am just gonna pull poo poo out and shoot at you

and then having decent cav on top of that is just gonna be cheesy as hell

sea guard gonna be 'speeeensive

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I find Dwarf Cannons good but they're not hard counters. They'll stunlock Giants from across the map, snipe enemy Lords on mounts, and get a good amount confirmed kills on armored units like Black Orcs; however, you still need a good Thunderer line to seal the deal on whatever makes it through the bombardment.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

3 player stack armies vs AI wood elves 3 stacks is the greatest amount of bullshit I have ever seen in a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

toasterwarrior posted:

I find Dwarf Cannons good but they're not hard counters. They'll stunlock Giants from across the map, snipe enemy Lords on mounts, and get a good amount confirmed kills on armored units like Black Orcs; however, you still need a good Thunderer line to seal the deal on whatever makes it through the bombardment.

I like using cannons (dwarf or empire) against cavalry. Each cannon shot will rip through the ranks, killing 5-10 cavalry. On a unit of high value knights, that's pretty significant. 2-3 shots reduces something like blood knights down to small enough numbers that they're easy to mop up

• Locked thread