Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bhodi posted:

The map is random every time :ssh:

There's a combo lock on the door and I don't know where to get the code.. same with the cellar to the safehouse and the house in the woods.

Ahhh, that explains a lot of weird screenshots i've been seeing. Can't help you then :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got through! There doesn't seem to be a penalty for getting murdered during the night which is good because I am dead awful at combat.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i'm already burned out on the forest after maybe 15 hours of play. the grinding is too boring, i've already built a pretty good fortress and am not really interested in the plot. we'll see, maybe if they'll add a tighter narrative and make the resource gathering a bit less grindy i might come back to it at full release.

so darkwood, huh? been reading a lot of good things about, maybe i'll check it out.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Reposting my post at IOS thread here, i played the PC version a long time ago.

quote:

Home Behind is a sidescrolling Rogue-like survival game where your character tries to find her daughter in his 1500 km walk. There isn't much actual storyline beside this backstory.

The mechanic consist of you controlling the MC 's walking pace including stopping. Faster pacing cost more hunger and thirst. There also mood bar that affect your overall stat.

There are four crafting upgrade: Food, lighting (to combat night time penalty), faster cart, and equipment.

All these are written from memory of my experience on the older pc version. It doesn't have too much depth, but it got all the basic survival management and random events plus random wildlife/land to satisfy for IOS standard.

Oh, and there is four stat: str, dex, int, and..... uh, endurance?

Str let you hit harder, break door and related skill test, equip str weapon

Dex let you hit faster, lockpick things and handle delicate skill test, equipment dex weapon

Some weapon requires both stat.

Endurance give health and higher resistance?

Int i think increase xp gain and require for crafting

There also one choice of three feats on certain lv that boost stat and bonus that can't be boosted otherwise like healing rate.

The game is super hard and combat is harsh, but i would recommend it if you want a casual survival game that kills you a lot. You get to unlock more starting jobs that gives unique bonus the further you walked.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Still enjoying The Long Dark, at least sandbox mode. I was thinking a cool feature they could add would be a chance of, while you're in a house hacking away at the last piece of furniture, a family showing up for their winter vacation. They have skis and sleds and they see you, wearing wolf skins and rabbit furs, wielding a hatchet in their dismantled home which has drying animal guts strewn all over the floors. This would be a really neat event, because, you know: fresh meat.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Still enjoying The Long Dark, at least sandbox mode. I was thinking a cool feature they could add would be a chance of, while you're in a house hacking away at the last piece of furniture, a family showing up for their winter vacation. They have skis and sleds and they see you, wearing wolf skins and rabbit furs, wielding a hatchet in their dismantled home which has drying animal guts strewn all over the floors. This would be a really neat event, because, you know: fresh meat.

Once those skins are cured you can craft up this handy book!

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 8, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

TACO_HERO posted:

Nobody's mentioned this game since the OP, but I love wayward, it's beautiful if you like pixel art, it has a deep crafting system and everything is turn based, like a rogue-like. Something about taking wilderness survival and turning it all into math like a board game is really cool to me. It's updated half often and I started playing again after a recent update that improved the farming system and stuff. I'd compare it to the survival side of minecraft but with way more depth and challenge. Might not appeal to people who like the realism of the long dark, etc. but you might consider trying it on sale or whatever. I've got like 50 hours out of it so far.

Sounds interesting, could you describe it in more detail?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I wish there was a more dynamic weather system in The Long Dark. There should be a random chance of a severe weather event that increases based on the amount of times you've slept in the same location. Near-constant blizzards with consequences like fishing holes being unusable and predators roaming into previously-safe areas looking for prey.

Right now, once you've made it to Jackrabbit Island you've won the game and you can cheese your way to infinite days with a few snares and some fishing line. It's not much of a survival sim when my guy spends every night eating fire-roasted salmon, sipping herbal tea and watching the aurora.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
dont you run out of metal or herbal tea

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'll only run out of metal when my hacksaw breaks or I saw through every appliance on the map. There's no workbench so I do have to leave every now and then, but it's right across the water and I already shot the wolf that lived between me and the shore so all I ever see is deer.

I will eventually run out of herbal tea, but that's not exactly the kind of peril I expect in a survival simulation.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

TeaJay posted:

Has anyone played Darkwood? I saw a friend of mine stream it recently, it looked very spooky.

Been watching a lot of stuff on Youtube about it and i've got to say that it seems impressive. I've seen plenty of procedurally generated sandboxes, but not games that manage procedurally generated dread.

The guy talking about the ghost and the door hasn't seen poo poo yet, if some of the LP's are anything to go by. The game actively fucks with you and tries to make you panic in ways you don't expect.

Seems a bit bad to spoil yourself on the game though. So don't go looking if you want to be surprised.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 9, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The long dark challenges are where it's at, survival mode is just stockpile food and sit in one place: the sim. I made it to around a hundred days before i got bored, had multiple bears of meat, a full fur clothing say, dozens of doses of every tea, the works. Like a real disaster, the only challenge i couldn't defeat was boredom and loneliness

The challenges though, they're tough, have a specific goal and most importantly require you to move around a lot. The only bad thing is there's no adjustable difficulty.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Archonex posted:

Seems a bit bad to spoil yourself on the game though. So don't go looking if you want to be surprised.

This is true. It is a 'survival game', but your resources are finite and you need to progress the story. Items/locations/etc. are randomly placed, but the story is the main focus and driving force.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I wish there was a more dynamic weather system in The Long Dark. There should be a random chance of a severe weather event that increases based on the amount of times you've slept in the same location. Near-constant blizzards with consequences like fishing holes being unusable and predators roaming into previously-safe areas looking for prey.

Right now, once you've made it to Jackrabbit Island you've won the game and you can cheese your way to infinite days with a few snares and some fishing line. It's not much of a survival sim when my guy spends every night eating fire-roasted salmon, sipping herbal tea and watching the aurora.

Just leave that place then. Stop being a baby and go map making.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Michael Bayleaf posted:

If a game lets you break it, don't bash a player for abusing that. Bash the game devs for leaving an easy way out, an optimal solution which breaks the game. The guy even suggests a way the game could improve in regards to this issue.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If a game lets you break it, don't bash a player for abusing that.

lol

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If a game lets you break it, don't bash a player for abusing that. Bash the game devs for leaving an easy way out, an optimal solution which breaks the game. The guy even suggests a way the game could improve in regards to this issue.

Life gives me the option of robbing stores, mugging people and making GBS threads on the sidewalk. If I did any of those things, my experience would be less than enjoyable. Games are the same. Aye, maybe blaming someone for abusing a game mechanic and burning themselves out isn't the right thing, but pointing at them and calling them a stupid idiot is.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Q8ee posted:

Life gives me the option of robbing stores, mugging people and making GBS threads on the sidewalk. If I did any of those things, my experience would be less than enjoyable. Games are the same. Aye, maybe blaming someone for abusing a game mechanic and burning themselves out isn't the right thing, but pointing at them and calling them a stupid idiot is.

Life (ideally) punishes you for all these things. The Long Dark does not punish you for abusing the near infinite resources available to you in this one location, and a punishment for abusing them was suggested which would in turn make the game better, right?

E: Besides, there are plenty of games out there. If you feel like you've exhausted the game due to its low difficulty level, it's totally fine to stop playing that game and move on to something else and suggest a fix to make it a game that you would be interested in playing again. Is that really that unreasonable?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 10, 2017

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I have, I'm currently getting my rear end kicked in Pleasant Valley, planning on visiting Timberwolf Mountain then trekking over to Broken Railroad. My point was that a survival simulator shouldn't have areas where it's possible to survive indefinitely with little effort.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I have, I'm currently getting my rear end kicked in Pleasant Valley, planning on visiting Timberwolf Mountain then trekking over to Broken Railroad. My point was that a survival simulator shouldn't have areas where it's possible to survive indefinitely with little effort.

Why not

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's bad game design to have an obvious solution to the main challenge of the game. Balancing and dealing with exploits are necessary to make the best game possible.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't see any harm in having one area of a game you can just kind of chill in on easy mode tbh. Some people play games to relax. There's the entire rest of the game available if you don't like rabbits and fishing. The entire world shouldn't be out to punish you if you camp in one place a few nights too many, that's just weird.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 10, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

It's bad game design to have an obvious solution to the main challenge of the game. Balancing and dealing with exploits are necessary to make the best game possible.
Who decides what counts as an 'exploit', though? Who decides whether the fix to an exploit would make the game more fun?

That second point is important - the hibernation strategy(eating minimally & sleeping as much as possible to easily have a high Days Survived count) was 'fixed' with cabin fever, but that fix pissed a whole lot of people off. More than were angry about the hibernation strategy in the first place. How do you 'fix' staying in one area too long without pissing people off and making the game less fun?

Then again I'm generally of the opinion that the boredom of taking the easy way out is its own punishment. If bunkering down on Jackrabbit Island bores the poo poo out of you, maybe that's a sign you should try something else. It's like complaining that Pilgrim difficulty exists because it's way too easy for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Archonex posted:

i'd say it's fine to watch LPs up until the point where the player finds the second hideout/leaves the first little area they put the main protagonist in. there's a big fistful of things that are important to know that the game (purposefully) doesn't tell you, and a methodical player will get pretty pissed at not knowing this stuff even if the surprises otherwise feel really good.

spoilers on this game definitely are huge though, the woods do a great job of being oppressive and intimidating and the more data you have the less effective that is just by default.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zoe posted:

I don't see any harm in having one area of a game you can just kind of chill in on easy mode tbh. Some people play games to relax. There's the entire rest of the game available if you don't like rabbits and fishing. The entire world shouldn't be out to punish you if you camp in one place a few nights too many, that's just weird.

Easy mode is an important distinction. Of course people should be able to enjoy the game as they wish, but there should also be in-game fixes to exploits and player behaviours. Especially when an easy mode exists, or when the fixes are toggleable, people who complain about the fixes are ridiculous. Looking at you, players of Darkest Dungeon re: Corpses.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Easy mode is an important distinction. Of course people should be able to enjoy the game as they wish, but there should also be in-game fixes to exploits and player behaviours. Especially when an easy mode exists, or when the fixes are toggleable, people who complain about the fixes are ridiculous. Looking at you, players of Darkest Dungeon re: Corpses.

It's a single player game. How angry are you really that other people might choose to play it in a way that isn't challenging enough for you? Playing a game they bought in a way that brings enjoyment is not a behavior that needs to be 'fixed' to force them to play the way you would.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Absolutely furious

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zoe posted:

It's a single player game. How angry are you really that other people might choose to play it in a way that isn't challenging enough for you? Playing a game they bought in a way that brings enjoyment is not a behavior that needs to be 'fixed' to force them to play the way you would.

I'm not angry, I'd just like to see better games out there. You need to replace dull issues with interesting decisions. Resident Evil 4, Left 4 Dead and I think Unreal World all adjust their difficulty on the fly in order to create an optimal experience. I'm not suggesting to make gameplay styles impossible, but to introduce more wrinkles and interesting decisions to be made in all styles.

Those who are angry are the ones who are against more options and fair difficulty tweaks, just like with Darkest Dungeon.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I don't think it's so obvious though, you need to learn the game mechanics, find the specific spot and that takes tens of hours in whats not even the main game mode.

The problem with TLD sandbox is that there's no endgame, not that there's a place where survival is possible indefinitely.

It's possible in other places too you know.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't think it's so obvious though, you need to learn the game mechanics, find the specific spot and that takes tens of hours in whats not even the main game mode.

The problem with TLD sandbox is that there's no endgame, not that there's a place where survival is possible indefinitely.

It's possible in other places too you know.

I am aware of that. The issue with the lack of endgame is that TLD sandbox follows the same design philosophy as Project Zomboid (RIP that game), it should be the story of your eventual demise to the wild since there is no win condition.

The suggestion of making the world more hostile to you if you hunker down is a good one for that very reason. Also let's face it, the campaign is poo poo and most people I know prefer playing sandbox.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I am aware of that. The issue with the lack of endgame is that TLD sandbox follows the same design philosophy as Project Zomboid (RIP that game), it should be the story of your eventual demise to the wild since there is no win condition.

ok

The suggestion of making the world more hostile to you if you hunker down is a good one for that very reason. Also let's face it, the campaign is poo poo and most people I know prefer playing sandbox.

have you tried some of the harder difficulties? i think the campaign is such a perfect example of a missed opportunity. instead of going for uhh, whatever they tried to do, a survival visual novel? they shoulda gone with a hardcore survival sim slash myst type mystery exploration puzzle game. you're alone, find out what happened and why by scrounging every little nook and cranny of the game world in search of clues while trying to stay alive. put in a bunch of endings based on how much of the mystery the player solved.

hell, maybe they should add an aging mechanic to the sandbox. once you've played for 30 in game years you die in your sleep

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 11, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

have you tried some of the harder difficulties? i think the campaign is such a perfect example of a missed opportunity. instead of going for uhh, whatever they tried to do, a survival visual novel? they shoulda gone with a hardcore survival sim slash myst type mystery exploration puzzle game. you're alone, find out what happened and why by scrounging every little nook and cranny of the game world in search of clues while trying to stay alive. put in a bunch of endings based on how much of the mystery the player solved.

hell, maybe they should add an aging mechanic to the sandbox. once you've played for 30 in game years you die in your sleep

The mystery idea is really where it should've gone, especially with how they bigged up the premise. Perhaps a 'The Forest' style search for a family member and then escape. Aging is interesting as an idea: gather enough materials for a period of time, fast forward and deplete resources in the region, move on. Once the map is fully depleted and you've survived everywhere, sandbox run over. Fixes the infinite survival in a zone issue and forces you to move along.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does TLD's story mode ever explain what event causes the game to happen (why all the electricity is out)?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Does TLD ever explain what event causes the game to happen (why all the electricity is out)?

They havent wrapped up the plot yet i think

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

it eventually just gets permanently 60 degrees below but thats well after you've conquered everything else and you're just dragging it out

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Q8ee posted:

Trust me, I would be robbing the gently caress out of some stores if the cops were glitched out making the Crime Career unbalanced

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Can someone link that pacifist guide to The Forest again?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zoe posted:

Can someone link that pacifist guide to The Forest again?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=610816440

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hes not even abusing a mechanic. he's doing the thing the game wants him to do, its just that the timescale of survival is too long in their current system to present a challenge once you know how to play - this is assuming hes on interloper. stalker and lower don't actually get any harder day-to-day

unless you're talking about hibernation, and in that case ive literally never seen someone successfully survive eating 3000+ calories a day on interloper. cat tails would have to respawn for something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Darkwood - I am at the third shelter and was having a hell of a time surviving the night. Barricading and repairing everything helped, but inevitably all the furniture would break and I'd die. But I have figured out the safest way to survive the night: back corner of the generator room, drag a lamp and chair in front of you; chompers and dogs can't reach you and the savages are easy to take care of. Banshees and that smoky monster thing that takes over a room almost got me last night, though.

It is very good and probably the most genuinely creepy non-3D game I've played.