Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PolishHero posted:

Mat Oxley had a bit about this, and his suggestion was basically that to be who they are and to have the mentality they have as racers just doesn't leave much room for that kinda thinking. The same attitude that says "gently caress yeah lets go thrash mx bikes because I want to" is probably the same attitude that says "gently caress yeah I can make that pass".

Yup. I never get tired of reading comment sections with people bleating about how unsafe dirt riding is and how these dudes, whose entire life revolves around being blindingly fast and ruthlessly agressive, should wrap themselves in cotton wool or plug into a stasis pod or some poo poo when they aren't racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't it a thing for, like, F1 drivers to have contracts with clauses about not engaging in other dangerous sports though?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't it a thing for, like, F1 drivers to have contracts with clauses about not engaging in other dangerous sports though?

Depends on the teams. McLaren in particular was a pretty bit stickler especially after/when Montoya had that motorcycle accident which they just blamed it on "tennis" injury.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Motogp can't even get their riders to pit when they tell them to during flag to flag races.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

F1 drivers are also giant pusscakes in like the safest Motorsport there is so i don't see the relevance.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Tomorrow's front 3 Vinales, Divisioso, Marquez.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-1dyCvJVf0

:staredog:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Massive crash for Livio Loi in Moto3:

https://streamable.com/k9had

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Tomorrow's front 3 Vinales, Divisioso, Marquez.

Ooh hot drat!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Wet track, rain, crashes and a new face on the podium.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how dope as gently caress MotoGP has been this year you can honestly say it was a "bit of a dull last lap pass"

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
16 crashers in Moto3
15 crashers in Moto2
6 crashers in MotoGP

Good job by Zarco getting the single point.
What happened to Pedrosa, there were people that crashed and finished in front of him.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 10, 2017

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Skreemer posted:

16 crashers in Moto3
15 crashers in Moto2
6 crashers in MotoGP

Good job by Zarco getting the single point.
What happened to Pedrosa, there were people that crashed and finished in front of him.

The consensus seemed to be that since Pedrosa is so light he can't get heat into the tyres in slower and colder than normal conditions - not enough mass on the bike to get some extra friction and sliding I guess.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

I love how dope as gently caress MotoGP has been this year you can honestly say it was a "bit of a dull last lap pass"

Yeah Marquez was just putting the pressure on Petrucci to gently caress up on those last 3.

And holy crap Zarco pushing it across at the end for a point! Talk about heart.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

quote:

Johann Zarco (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) was in P7 on the final lap of the Gran Premio Tribul Mastercard di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini when disaster struck - and he ran out of fuel. First feeling the issue at Turn 11 before the bike fully stopped tantalisingly close to the line, the Frenchman pushed it all the way to the flag - losing out on seventh but still taking home a point in P15.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good job guys saving that extra 200ml really helped in the end!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MotoGP has announced their 2018 calendar. The order and races are all the same, but with two major differences: the Thai GP following Aragon and ahead of Japan, Australia and Malaysia; and "Circuit to be announced" next to the British GP on the calendar.

Any takers on odds it'll go back to Donington Park?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

MotoGP has announced their 2018 calendar. The order and races are all the same, but with two major differences: the Thai GP following Aragon and ahead of Japan, Australia and Malaysia; and "Circuit to be announced" next to the British GP on the calendar.

Any takers on odds it'll go back to Donington Park?

My understanding is that both Silverstone and Donington Park's owners hate MotoGP(?) and because Circuit of Wales isn't ready its literally up to Silverstone as to whether they hold a GP and if they don't then Donington can, if they want.

edit: for clarification, the BSB people own Donington and think "why pay Dorna money when we have ~British Superbikes~". I don't know what Silverstone's beef is, but it's pretty loving clear considering they have the option to hold the race and haven't taken it up yet.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 13, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My memory was that Silverstone was being contracted by the Circuit of Wales people, who have had their contract ended after this year. So if Silverstone want the race it would be their choice.

If memory serves it went to Silverstone because Donington had too much money and Icarus'd trying to get Formula 1 back, and while they were laundering money they tried to get the Circuit of Wales going, that group took the rights to the race. Silverstone may have originally been more a temporary stop, but bad plans being what they are, there is no Circuit of Wales and here we are.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Donington isn't in the condition to host a GP without a lot of money dumped into it and Silverstone is trash. They should just drop it until a good track is at MotoGP standards. Especially since there are so many good circuits so close.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah there is zero possibility of a british GP anywhere other than silverstone. Donington's paddock facilities are a literal paddock with some gravel scattered here and there.

nsaP posted:

Donington isn't in the condition to host a GP without a lot of money dumped into it and Silverstone is trash. They should just drop it until a good track is at MotoGP standards. Especially since there are so many good circuits so close.

Yup. SIlverstone sucks balls and they should really be racing at donington or brand's instead but everything I've learned about the UK leads me to believe they're even more laughably incompetent than italians so it'll be silverstone. In dorna's perception there can't not be a british GP so buckle up for at least a couple of more years of nick harris screaming MAGGOTS!!!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

n8r posted:

Motogp can't even get their riders to pit when they tell them to during flag to flag races.

Can't even make them ride through when they get a ride through penalty.

Slavvy posted:

Yup. I never get tired of reading comment sections with people bleating about how unsafe dirt riding is and how these dudes, whose entire life revolves around being blindingly fast and ruthlessly agressive, should wrap themselves in cotton wool or plug into a stasis pod or some poo poo when they aren't racing.

They should go ahead and also stop cutting cheese (Cal)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Tom Sykes has a massive crash in FP3 in Portimao Portugal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLe4yp9_HA

Johnny Rea and the Kawasaki cannot be stopped. Rea spent the entire weekend on one tire, just before the race start Pirelli pulls the tire from use and forces Rea to use another tire. Doesn't matter, Rea smashes them all in race one anyway.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 16, 2017

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Skreemer posted:

Tom Sykes has a massive crash in FP3 in Portimao Portugal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLe4yp9_HA

Johnny Rea and the Kawasaki cannot be stopped. Rea spent the entire weekend on one tire, just before the race start Pirelli pulls the tire from use and forces Rea to use another tire. Doesn't matter, Rea smashes them all in race one anyway.

Glad Tom's OK; saw BrotoGP's post of him binning the bike.

I really liked that Jonny went from smashing Superpole on the Type A rubber to smashing it on another. He's definitely one of the dudes there that I still think if not for certain factors (e.g. the way WSBK is regarded in comparison to MotoGP etc) would be giving people nightmares in GP.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Ana Carrasco wins the SSP300 feeder class for WSBK in Portugal.

Because Chaz fell, instead of just winning, Rea had over 5 seconds ahead of second place to win WSBK race 2. It wasn't even close, even before Chaz fell.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 17, 2017

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

gregbest90 posted:

I really liked that Jonny went from smashing Superpole on the Type A rubber to smashing it on another. He's definitely one of the dudes there that I still think if not for certain factors (e.g. the way WSBK is regarded in comparison to MotoGP etc) would be giving people nightmares in GP.

Sorry but he really wouldn't. He's good enough but he's not *good* MotoGP quality. He's averagely good on an average bike, and like anyone sitting on the best bike by a mile, is nigh on unbeatable. Look at his years before joining Kawasaki - long time with Honda and little to show for it against other talented riders.

Quite frankly what he's shown over the past few years is how average Sykes is given what an amazing bit of machinery he has under him. This isn't meant to be mean, I have a soft spot for Sykes, but whilst he's done well a lot of other riders on the same machine would make WSBK even more boring because it would be a Kwakker 1-2 every race. I have massively lost interest in WSBK over the past few years precisely because the field is so unbalanced. The changes for 2018 or whatever can't come soon enough to flatten the field a bit and make a race of things.

In other news, props to Tony Elias, the nicest guy to have fallen a very long way, for winning the MotoAmerica thingybob (whatever the AMA is called now). Having been at the bottom of a big pile of poo poo since this Moto2 title a long time ago, it's nice to see him do well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The history book is littered with "This WSBK dude is defs gonna make it in MotoGP for sure!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah Jrea has a lot of stuff going for him: he's super duper smooth, is probably the best in the field at managing the pirellis and his race craft and level-headedness are excellent. MotoGP is a completely different thing altogether, the bikes are now so chalk-and-cheese that even relatively talented GP riders have a hard time adjusting to the SBK riding style and bike behaviour. He's a very good rider but doesn't have that extra little bit to make a GP switch even worthwhile, and he knows it as he's consistently batted away suggestions to that effect.

I think chaz davies would do a lot better in GP and even then would probably only have crutchlow-style speed wherein he can be as fast as the geniuses or he can finish a race but rarely both at the same time.

The only genuinely good SBK>GP switch was bayliss, that guy was a loving freak.

While I'm here I might add that the media love to play up the supposed similarity between the two classes but that extra second worth of laptime that looks so insignificant on paper takes millions of dollars of engineering cleverness and genius-level talent to achieve.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 18, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spies, Hayden, and Edwards are all WSBK graduates that fared pretty darn well.

I would think that any of the big SBK guys have the opportunity to take a moto2 ride and see if they can cut it in GP. They are choosing to be big fish in a smaller less talented pond (probably with bigger paychecks). I am under the impression that it is easier to get a competitive moto2 now than say 10 years ago when the 250CC 2Ts were around. Back then there were a few Aprilias and a few Hondas that were really capable of winning races. If you weren't one of the chosen ones, there was no reason to go into the intermediate class.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Judging Rea as trash on the Honda is hilarious. The bike was slow with no support and he managed to win races.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Spies, Hayden, and Edwards are all WSBK graduates that fared pretty darn well.

I would think that any of the big SBK guys have the opportunity to take a moto2 ride and see if they can cut it in GP. They are choosing to be big fish in a smaller less talented pond (probably with bigger paychecks). I am under the impression that it is easier to get a competitive moto2 now than say 10 years ago when the 250CC 2Ts were around. Back then there were a few Aprilias and a few Hondas that were really capable of winning races. If you weren't one of the chosen ones, there was no reason to go into the intermediate class.

Hayden did reasonably well, spies and Edwards did really bloody badly compared to their illustrious records in SBK. Edwards didn't win a single race AFAIK and spies only got one.

Nobody with even a shred of talent would move from a competitive bike in SBK to moto2.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Spies probably would have done a bit better if he hadn't have wrecked himself so often early in his career. I know he got a bit of help from yamaha (the rear suspension coming apart at Leguna Seca and a few races later something else failed causing a good wreck), but I think he would have been a good rider, but not a great one. If you're in Texas, Spies is partial owner in a few restaurants between Dallas and Austin, support him in his retirement from racing.

And also not there have been a few decent riders that have gone from GP classes to WSBK classes and done "ok". For right now I can think of is Stefan Bradl, though Marco Melandri is doing fairly well, he's not quite up to the challenge of Rea, Sykes and Davies.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Max biaggi won the loving championship twice. The first time he was older than Rossi is now.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Max biaggi won the loving championship twice. The first time he was older than Rossi is now.

I always forget about Max.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Slavvy posted:

The last time I watched WSBK was when Max was still riding in it. His riding is visual poetry.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think that winning a championship and being the 2nd or 3rd best rider in GP for a span of time a bit better than 'reasonably well'. Superbikes are just not a great platform to move to GP from. Prototype bikes are more complex to setup, and I think that the moto3/2/GP system is just more competitive.

To say that Spies did badly is just stupid. He is one of 5 or 6 guys that won a race during the 800CC era. Spies was a pretty big dude, especially for that era of bikes. Look at how loving skinny Rossi and the other riders got during the 800s, they were not a formula that favored larger guys. I think if Spies had a bit more of a killer instinct and had stuck around, he could have done very well with the current formula. He got really hosed up in a few wrecks, had already made enough $$ to retire comfortably and just said gently caress it. Good on him. It's too bad he did not get into commentating, he sat in on a few races when he was injured and he was really good.

This is purely speculation, but I doubt that Colin ever got much attention from Yamaha during his time there in motoGP. Colin has a reputation as a great development rider, and I think he was used as a highly paid test rider for Rossi during that time. Regardless the dude finished 4th and 5th in the championships during his tenure.

James Toseland is a better example of someone who came from WSBK and did jack poo poo.

Sam Lowes is an example of a rider that was on the fast track to a WSBK ride that decided to go to moto2 instead of continue with production bikes.

The big name guys in WSBK just have a sweet deal, like winning, and are probably getting decent paychecks to do so. You can probably eat a few more hamburgers and drink a few more beers riding a superbike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

James toseland won a race on the old suzuki (arguably one of the worst big-name GP bikes ever) and got a few podiums as well IIRC so IMO he did better than spies.

The lightweight thing was true back in those days but now the bikes have become so actively physical to ride it doesn't matter as much. Outliers like redding and baz certainly do struggle with being 'uge but even the traditionally girly riders like rossi and lorenzo have bulked up considerably. Marquez and vinales are built like brick shithouses compared riders from the old days; dovi has some sexy sexy biceps and quads on him. Pedrosa is the lightest and smallest and he's massively handicapped by insufficient tyre temperatures (presumably a consequence of the michelins being really temperature-sensitive but whatever) so I'd argue being little is more of an impediment than being big. AFAIK jray, davies and VDM (IMO the only SBK riders remotely capable of doing a good job in GP) are all fairly average sized.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When did James Toseland win a race? Or ride a suzuki? You thinking Chris Vermulean?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

James toseland won a race on the old suzuki (arguably one of the worst big-name GP bikes ever) and got a few podiums as well IIRC so IMO he did better than spies.

The lightweight thing was true back in those days but now the bikes have become so actively physical to ride it doesn't matter as much. Outliers like redding and baz certainly do struggle with being 'uge but even the traditionally girly riders like rossi and lorenzo have bulked up considerably. Marquez and vinales are built like brick shithouses compared riders from the old days; dovi has some sexy sexy biceps and quads on him. Pedrosa is the lightest and smallest and he's massively handicapped by insufficient tyre temperatures (presumably a consequence of the michelins being really temperature-sensitive but whatever) so I'd argue being little is more of an impediment than being big. AFAIK jray, davies and VDM (IMO the only SBK riders remotely capable of doing a good job in GP) are all fairly average sized.

Jesus Slavvy are you really this stupid?

Here is Spies' GP record:

Here is Toseland's GP record:

It will take another young rider that comes into WSBK and really dominates for them to get much of a chance in MotoGP. The 800CC era in motogp really was a terrible time. The bikes favored very high speed cornering one line racing. The power favored light riders, and the disparity between the factory bikes and everything else was very large. I would contend that both Nicky and Spies were victims of the 800CC formula and they would have had a much better time if the 990 bikes had just continued. I believe that Dorna finally getting to the point we have now with the rules will make the racing really good. I'd like to see a bit more consistency with the tires. It seems like there is enough ongoing fuckery with the tires that the riders and teams are having to do a lot of work to stay up with the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

When did James Toseland win a race? Or ride a suzuki? You thinking Chris Vermulean?

:doh: yup.

• Locked thread