Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

iCloud photos replaces photostream. I forget how this works exactly, you'll have to google or fiddle with settings to figure it out.

It’s the worst and not intuitive at all. Just download Google Photos and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When you turn on iCloud Photo Library, the photo stream toggle just goes away.

This might be changing in iOS 11, maybe? Both are there on beta 10 even with iCloud library turned on.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I think you can still have photostream enabled in case you have older, non-icloud photos library devices that you still want to have its weird time-limited "sync" with.

If all your apple stuff is on recent OSes then you might as well ignore it and use icloud photo library instead.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

every time I have tried to use icloud photo library it just shits the bed and spins the pinwheel forever while nothing else happens.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
iCloud Photos scares the poo poo out of me. Like, it's hosed on my MBP and I've afraid to reset it because it might mess with what's stored online (which doesn't appear to be hosed).

I'm probably going to move everything to iCloud with the new 2tb plans, but I'm paranoid af there will be some kind of conflict between all the devices that access it.

If something goes wrong does Apple retain a backup like Dropbox does?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't think so. Icloud library is fine once it's sorted but the initial set up is totally garbage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When I switched from Photo Stream to iCloud photos, I did get some duplicates, but it wasn't awful.

I'd recommend having a hard backup of your photos on your computer before flipping the switch. If you're on a MacOS device, you can always make a copy of your Photos file for safe keeping. Plus with Time Machine, you'll have other backups of it, so I wouldn't worry too much.

For you, Krispy, here's what I would do:

-Make backup of Photos file for safekeeping
-Delete the Photos file itself from your computer. This won't delete anything from the iCloud, it just removes the local copy from your computer.
-Launch Photos and turn on iCloud photos. This will create a new file and pull everything down from the Cloud.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It'd be great if I could mail in a hard drive to be uploaded rather than try and send 190gb over my lovely DSL that only hits 200kbps upload.

Yes I realise how insane that sounds.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How is Airpod availability in stores in the US these days? I have a friend visiting Arizona soon and it would be a lot cheaper for them to buy the Airpods for me while she's there rather than pay the extra markup to get them here in the UK.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

How is Airpod availability in stores in the US these days? I have a friend visiting Arizona soon and it would be a lot cheaper for them to buy the Airpods for me while she's there rather than pay the extra markup to get them here in the UK.

loving sucks. It could take as long as 4 weeks for mine to arrive.

Jose Oquendo posted:

When I switched from Photo Stream to iCloud photos, I did get some duplicates, but it wasn't awful.

I'd recommend having a hard backup of your photos on your computer before flipping the switch. If you're on a MacOS device, you can always make a copy of your Photos file for safe keeping. Plus with Time Machine, you'll have other backups of it, so I wouldn't worry too much.

For you, Krispy, here's what I would do:

-Make backup of Photos file for safekeeping
-Delete the Photos file itself from your computer. This won't delete anything from the iCloud, it just removes the local copy from your computer.
-Launch Photos and turn on iCloud photos. This will create a new file and pull everything down from the Cloud.

Yeah, I'll have to be careful. Most stuff is already backed up elsewhere but there's always gaps.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Definitely not a 4-week trip so I probably couldn't even rely on them to order them and have them shipped to a hotel or whatever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugh, that sucks. Definitely not a 4-week trip so I probably couldn't even rely on them to order them and have them shipped to a hotel or whatever.

That said, it looks like they're suddenly in stock everywhere:

https://airpods.isinstock.com/locations

Just bought a pair. Now I get to cancel the ones I ordered from Apple.com.

Edit: maybe Apple finally figured out the supply issues.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 8, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Nah the Apple shipping estimate just dropped yesterday to 1-2 weeks. If you ordered when it said 4, you’ll likely get them early.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Laserface posted:

It'd be great if I could mail in a hard drive to be uploaded rather than try and send 190gb over my lovely DSL that only hits 200kbps upload.

Not insane at all. Amazon uses trucks to transport disks across the country when they need to move petabytes of data around.

https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Laserface posted:

That's only 115 days...

You could do it over LTE. Optus is offering 140gb per month for $70.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

That's only 115 days...

You could do it over LTE. Optus is offering 140gb per month for $70.

The quality of my signal here means my mobile data is on par with the adsl :unsmith:

The only place I get more than that is 100m down the back paddock away from all electricity.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Certain areas seem weirdly fine. St Louis had them easily available for a period during July to August. I almost asked my SIL to buy a pie and just mail them to me but :effort:

I wouldn't go out of my way to do it though - I just kept an eye on it as I traveled for business.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Laserface posted:

The quality of my signal here means my mobile data is on par with the adsl :unsmith:

The only place I get more than that is 100m down the back paddock away from all electricity.

Oh dear, that's unfortunate. I'm one of the lucky ones that managed to get 100 megabit Fibre to the home, but my LTE is usually faster, especially on uploads.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weedle posted:

Not insane at all. Amazon uses trucks to transport disks across the country when they need to move petabytes of data around.

https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it wasn't too long ago that someone on a video game podcast was talking about how he would fly a hard drive with the latest code for a game from Japan to somewhere in the US since it was still faster than trying to send it over the internet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At least before Comcast lifted my 300gb data cap, I was more limited by expense than time when it came to backing stuff up to the Cloud. It would have taken two months of bandwidth to back up my stuff. Thank goodness work had a fast pipe.

The joy of living in an Xfinity market that was testing out those terrible caps. I think they only lifted them because they wanted to buy some other company and the FCC made them play nice.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 8, 2017

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Krispy Kareem posted:

At least before Comcast lifted by 300gb data cap, I was more limited by expense than time when it came to backing stuff up to the Cloud. It would have taken two months of bandwidth to back up my stuff. Thank goodness work had a fast pipe.

The joy of living in an Xfinity market that was testing out those terrible caps. I think they only lifted them because they wanted to buy some other company and the FCC made them play nice.

What the gently caress. I just got a notice for going over my cap last month with Comcast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Comcast's caps are not being shut off. I do recall they upped the default to 500gb though.

They've been steadily rolling out across the country for a few years now.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

xzzy posted:

Comcast's caps are not being shut off. I do recall they upped the default to 500gb though.

They've been steadily rolling out across the country for a few years now.

drat, 500 is rough. It's 1024 in my market. I would be pretty hosed if it were 500. I do that pretty much every month.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't there almost always a "soft cap" but nothing happens from going above it aside from a nasty gram until you get to the actual cap

or do they throttle you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, Comcast is a lovely company that does lovely things and suffers no repercussions because they have no competition, so we live with it anyways.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dang tru

Thankfully got Cox here. There's a joke in there somewhere. They're the least evil of the bunch by far

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

dang tru

Thankfully got Cox here. There's a joke in there somewhere. They're the least evil of the bunch by far

They are testing caps too, currently I have a 1 TB one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Isn't there almost always a "soft cap" but nothing happens from going above it aside from a nasty gram until you get to the actual cap

or do they throttle you

No, you pay $10 per 50gb.

And it was 300gb in select markets. When they rolled it out on a larger scale they moved it up to 1tb. If you have the fastest service or pay an extra $20 or so you can eliminate data caps altogether. It was brutal, with NetFlix we were burning 50gb a day before we set video to VHS quality.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I used to work at Cox. We loved Cox. Cox was great. Legend has it the employee newsletter was originally called Cox Insider.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Krispy Kareem posted:

No, you pay $10 per 50gb.

And it was 300gb in select markets. When they rolled it out on a larger scale they moved it up to 1tb. If you have the fastest service or pay an extra $20 or so you can eliminate data caps altogether. It was brutal, with NetFlix we were burning 50gb a day before we set video to VHS quality.

I used to work at Cox. We loved Cox. Cox was great. Legend has it the employee newsletter was originally called Cox Insider.

That's comforting to hear since I have an active job application out with them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It appears the iOS 11 GM has leaked and has been sent to a few sites. Has it leaked publicly by any chance? Would be cool to get it a few days early.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Comcast give you 2 grace months in a rolling 12 month period. Knowing this I went into August with a vengeance and shifted just under 10tb of data, did my backblaze backups etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

It appears the iOS 11 GM has leaked and has been sent to a few sites. Has it leaked publicly by any chance? Would be cool to get it a few days early.
I’m basically running it already with this latest beta :haw:

Honestly, I haven’t had any big issues with the betas in a while.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lots of new details about the new iPhone dug out of the iOS 11 GM. Spoilers! Also, 16 brand new wallpapers available there to download. Another spoiler: pretty much all of them suck.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Lots of new details about the new iPhone dug out of the iOS 11 GM. Spoilers! Also, 16 brand new wallpapers available there to download. Another spoiler: pretty much all of them suck.

I just bought AirPods for my girlfriend's anniversary gift last week, so I hope they're a very minor revision or that the Apple Store will swap them out for me...

AirPods go in and out of stock at my local Apple Stores regularly and are shipping in 1-2 weeks at this point.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 9, 2017

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What's the best way to clean my iPhone 7's speaker/mic? I just did the toothpick trick for the charging port since I had issues charging lately (drat that lint builds up) but not sure what to do with these tiny holes.

I don't think it's affecting anything but it kind of looks gross.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I just bought AirPods for my girlfriend's anniversary gift last week, so I hope they're a very minor revision or that the Apple Store will swap them out for me...

If it's going from 1.1 to 1.2 then it's likely just the light indicator moving. I would be surprised if we see a meaningful revision before spring.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/906542097284714496

iPhone XXXtreme

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

so what next year
iphone 9 and iphone x2?
i want the iphone xxx and vin diesel to play jony ive in the ads

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Of all the stupid things in this leak, skipping the *S product name is at the bottom of the list for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Next year will have the iPhone X-2, which will have a great battle system but horrible story.